Mac OSX How to open a .pub image.

I received an image in the .pub file format from a non-computer literate
person. In what program can I open it, or to what program can I import it to
- being on Mac OSX 10.3.9 as I am?

Thanks!  --Doc.

On 7/15/05 6:30 PM, in article BEFDB139.E017%drcocktail@bigfoot.com,
"DrCocktail" <drcocktail@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> I received an image in the .pub file format from a non-computer literate
> person. In what program can I open it, or to what program can I import it to
> - being on Mac OSX 10.3.9 as I am?

It won't open in anything on the Mac. It needs Microsoft Publisher, which is
only available on Windows. Your correspondent will have to find a
computer-literate person who can export it from Publisher to a format that
you can inspect on the mac, if that's possible. But you still wouldn't be
able to _do_ anything useful with it - this is only good if all you need to
do is look at a graphic of a page layout or something like that.

If this were something important that you were going to need to do
regularly, you'd have to get yourself Virtual PC with Windows XP, and
Microsoft Publisher.

--
Paul Berkowitz
MVP MacOffice

Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
ignored.

PLEASE always state which version of Microsoft Office you are using -
**2004**, X  or 2001. It's often impossible to answer your questions
otherwise.

0
berkowit (221)
7/16/2005 2:45:09 AM
in article BEFDC2C5.A7FC9%berkowit@spoof_silcom.com, Paul Berkowitz at
berkowit@spoof_silcom.com wrote on 7/15/05 7:45 PM:

> On 7/15/05 6:30 PM, in article BEFDB139.E017%drcocktail@bigfoot.com,
> "DrCocktail" <drcocktail@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>> I received an image in the .pub file format from a non-computer literate
>> person. In what program can I open it, or to what program can I import it to
>> - being on Mac OSX 10.3.9 as I am?
>
> It won't open in anything on the Mac. It needs Microsoft Publisher, which is
> only available on Windows. Your correspondent will have to find a
> computer-literate person who can export it from Publisher to a format that
> you can inspect on the mac, if that's possible. But you still wouldn't be
> able to _do_ anything useful with it - this is only good if all you need to
> do is look at a graphic of a page layout or something like that.
>
> If this were something important that you were going to need to do
> regularly, you'd have to get yourself Virtual PC with Windows XP, and
> Microsoft Publisher.

Thanks very much for that, Paul. Actually, it is just a photo which the
sender says is in Publisher format. That said, do you specifically know what
I can tell him about potential export options from within Publisher given
that all I want is that image?

Thanks!  -- Ted.

On 7/16/05 8:27 AM, in article BEFE756E.E086%drcocktail@bigfoot.com,
"DrCocktail" <drcocktail@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Thanks very much for that, Paul. Actually, it is just a photo which the
> sender says is in Publisher format. That said, do you specifically know what
> I can tell him about potential export options from within Publisher given
> that all I want is that image?

If there's an obvious File/Export/ as TIFF, JPEG, etc. have him do that. (If
only as BMP, I'm not sure whether your Preview will open that, maybe not.
You'd have to get GraphicConverter, easy enough.) If not there must be some
easy way to take a screenshot on Windows, but I don't know the way. A
screenshot would surely be in a standard graphics format like one of the
above.

--
Paul Berkowitz
MVP MacOffice
Entourage FAQ Page: <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq/index.html>
AppleScripts for Entourage: <http://macscripter.net/scriptbuilders/>

Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
ignored.

PLEASE always state which version of Microsoft Office you are using -
**2004**, X  or 2001. It's often impossible to answer your questions
otherwise.

0
berkowit (221)

Opening 2007 Excel files in 2003
I have installed the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats (FileFormatConverters.exe). Yet when I attempt to open a 2007 in 2003 it does not open. I get an error stating the ‘file is in an unrecognisable format, but no other message". Any ideas what to do when the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack does not work> Many thanks. Chris Hi, one thing you can do is to save the Excel 2007 file with the extension .html and open this new html file with Excel 2003. "Jedi" <Jedi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Open another database from the one you have open
Hi all, I have a requirement to open another database from within the current one I have open, I am trying to do this with a button on a form, I have the following code below but it does not work, the egg timer shows but nothing happen, can anyone help. Thanks Private Sub Command60_Click() Dim accapp As Access.Application Set accapp = New Access.Application accapp.OpenCurrentDatabase "c:\my documents\quality issues log.mdb" accapp.Visible = True End Sub It depends on your needs, but if all you are trying to do is open it and make it available to the user then...

Who do I get Publisher 2003 to open to a blank page?
I'd like to get Publisher 2003 to open to a blank page - no "start" page, no "new publication" dialog box on the left...just click the icon and a plain, blank page opens. silver <silver@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I'd like to get Publisher 2003 to open to a blank page - no "start" > page, no "new publication" dialog box on the left...just click the > icon and a plain, blank page opens. Tools > Options > Uncheck "Use New Publication task pane at startup" > User Assistance &g...

Slow opening Attachments
Hi, Our Outlook 2002 users have a speed problem when opening emails with attachments. (Exchange 5.5 - two servers, one on a 2000 server, one on a NT4 server - NT domain.) Windows 98 users don't seem to have the same problem and can open attachments more quickly. Its not a problem of which server they're on, I don't think it seems to be spread between them. Does Outlook check the attachments as they come in? Both sets of users are running the same version of Anti-Virus. The general network speed seems to be OK. Thanks in advance for any advice. Steve W ...

Switch to Mac?!
Dear all! I am seriously contemplating switching to Apple.... I usually hear screams of horror at this point, but given this is a Mac forum !... I have long been a Microsoft addict. I have the SPV phone, a Dell Axim, I have 3 pc desktops, 3 laptops- all running some form of Windows. I am even a Microsoft beta tester. BUT, I am sick of it. I want a change. One of my primary concerns about the switch is Office. I love office 2003 for the pc- BUT error messages are constant and outlook keeps crashing. I've looked on the Microsoft mactopia website and it all looks very good but of course...

After Sending Email Cannot See Embedded Images (Outlook 2003)
Ok...this started happening only recently, and i can't pinpoint why. Am using Outlook 2003. Firstly: When someone sends me an email with an embedded image "I can" see it, no problem. I can create an email with an embedded image, no problem. The recipients can see the images, no problem. I usually copy myself on these emails, no problem. Here's my dilemma: Problem is when I open the email i just sent, i cannot see the embedded image. All i see is an "X". Temporary Solution: Under the "Mail Format" tab in Outlook I have the following settings for: - C...

Go to worksheet upon opening
Is there a way to have the same worksheet pop up every time the excel file is opened...... hi yes. Private Sub Workbook_Open() Sheets("Sheet1").Activate Range("A1").Select End Sub adjust the sheet name and range to suit this is workbook code. press ALT+F11. this will bring up the vb editor. at the far right, expand your project(file). double click ThisWorkbook. in the code window(far right), click the right drop down and select Workbook. the workbook open event should default in (see above). paste the two line between workbook open and end sub above betwee...

loaded nero7.now if open photo in email nero takes over no photo
have loaded nero 7 and since then when i get email and click on a photo nero snap phto opens and no photo shows it seems to take taken over as default manager for photos and i dont know how to stop it..remaoving the nero 7 programme did not help ken wrote: > have loaded nero 7 and since then when i get email and click on a > photo nero snap phto opens and no photo shows it seems to take taken > over as default manager for photos and i dont know how to stop > it..remaoving the nero 7 programme did not help Right click on a photo and select "open with" then select the...

Office for Mac apps "unexpectedly quit"
I am running Office X for Mac (2001 version) on my Powerbook G4 with OS X Tiger 10.4.11 I have never had any problems using my office suite until yesterday when I tried to open Word by clicking on the Word Icon in my Dock. It started to open and then a window came up saying "word has unexpectedly quit." I tried numerous times and each time got the same message. This also happens if I try to open Excel or Powerpoint. Interestingly, if I double click on an existing word, powerpoint or excel document the program opens with no problem. It just won't open by double clicking on the ap...

Cannot open excel 2003 spreadsheet using excel 2007
Please Help!!! I have created some spreadsheets using excel 2003 but I cannot open them in 2007. Yes, the spreadsheets have formulas, calculations, links and some charts too (the size of the spreadsheet is about 58,569 KG). I have tried everything and nothing works. When the spreadsheet does open it is all missed up and missing formulas, calculations and all of the formatting. Does the size of the files have anything to do with me not able to open them? Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466...

Find Pages Containing an Image
How can I use FrontPage (2003) to list the pages that an image appears in on a site? In other words, xyz.jpg appears in several pages. How do I find out which pages it is on? Thanks. Easiest way for me is to use the hyperlinks view from the tabs. Highlight the image from the folder list and you should see in hyperlink view what pages it is part of. That will work only if you are using relative links and not the full url of the image. Pat "mustang25" <mustang25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B49ACDA2-05F4-43F4-9501-EA2EAC36F2AF@mic...

My outlook stays open
When I try and close my outlook it stay open in the toolbar by the clock. How do I get it to completely shut down and stop acceting email. I want to to shut down and not stay minimized. gh34 wrote: >When I try and close my outlook it stay open in the toolbar by the clock. >How do I get it to completely shut down and stop acceting email. I want to >to shut down and not stay minimized. Check this link out: http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntclose.htm Shawn -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/ms-outlook/2...

opening .csv files over sfu network in excel
Hello I am getting errors when trying to open .csv files over a sfu 3.0 gateway to a unix box using excel. The error refers to the files being read only. However if i use notepad the files open correctly. The unix permissions are correct as all other files open perfectly. Any ideas ? Much apprecaited. ...

2004 Mac Microsoft Excel: Lost corner! Can NOT shrink the window!! #3
I am new to Mac, so if anyone can tell me how to fix this problem I have, it will be appreciated. When I launch Excel, open an existing file by choosing 'open' under 'File' at toolbar, Excel opens up a window to show all the files, folders etc. from my computer HD and extermal HD etc. in one window with the tile 'Open: Microsoft Excel'. Somehow, this winow in my Excel program has corner push down out of screen. Therefore, I can not grab the corner to shrink the window to fit my computer screen. I barely see 'Cancel' and 'Open' icons at the bottom of the...

Excel not opening file
I am running Excel XP and have a strange problem. When I double click an excel file to open it, Excel fires up okay but doesn't open the file. I have to then open it manually. The file association is correct because it opens excel. I have tried removing Office XP and reloading ... I have double checked the file association settings with another computer that works (and they are identical) ... does anybody have any ideas? Many thanks. Uncheck ingore other application under tools>options>general -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Colin Jack" <dante'at'mainline...

Form will not open
Hi All, Happy New Year!! I was in process of installing new FE's on the users PC's, and testing the various forms of this application. On the last machine I was not able to open a particular form, everything else opened fine. I can not detect a difference between this particular form and other forms, in Properties. I can not open in design either. The form is used for displaying data already entered using the entry form, and has a subform embedded. Any ideas?? Thank you in advance. What specific error do you get? If you don't have error handling in the open event, put it in...

Msgbox on open
Column "A" has a list of dates. When workbook is opened I'd like a message box to display "Run test" if that date is greater than 30 days. Once "the OK button" is selected then the Date that "the OK button" was selected be added in Column "B" next to the date in Column "A". I'm familiar with visual basic code, just don't know how to write it. Thanks so much in advance!! ...

Is there a way to tell that a modal dialog is open?
Howdy, I have an MFC dialog app that has a notification area (or system tray, or whatever we are calling it this week) icon. Per customer spec, when the user right clicks this icon he or she gets a menu that includes an "exit" choice which causes the app to send a WM_CLOSE message to itself. The problem is that sometimes I get hangs or crashes if the user selects this menu choice when a modal dialog is showing over the dialog window. Is there a clean way to either tell that a modal dialog is open and thereby know to disable this menu choice, or to ensure that any open modal dialo...

Upgrade Mac MSO v.X To Mac MSO 2004 To Mac MSO 2008
I own a G4 iMac 15-inch which runs 10.4.11. I plan to purchase an Intel iMac 24-inch soon. I am a registered user of MSO v.X. I wish to purchase the MSO 2004 upgrade at the discounted upgrade price which often sells for $203.99. Then I wish to upgrade MSO 2004 to MSO 2008 for the $6.99 upgrade price. Does my MSO v.X version qualify for the MSO 2004 upgrade price? Will the MSO 2004 installer recognize my MSO v.X installation as a qualifying upgradeable package? Is my MSO v.X to MSO 2008 upgrade path legitimate? On a sidebar, I plan to perform a fresh installation of MSO 2008 on the Inte...

Error when opening .csv files
Hi Whenever I try to open up a .csv file in Excel (2000) by either double clicking on the file or use the "Open"-menu it opens up the document without separating the columns at the comma. Everything goes into the first column. If I rename the file to become a .txt-file and then open it up in Excel it works just fine as long as I change the separator to a comma sign. What could be wrong? Regards Wayne I'm guessing that the list separator in the file is different from the list separator inside your windows setting. You could either continue doing what you're doing or...

OUTLOOK EXPRESS OPENING EMAIL
The other day I mistakenly right clicked on the toolbar at the bottom of my screen. I think I inadvertetnly clicked "cascade windows". Since correcting it whenever I double click to open an email in Outlook Express, it doesn't open up maximized. It opens up as maybe a third of the screen and I have to maximize it to view it properly. Any advice on how to fix that? Thanks! Brian <cartfan19@yahoo.com> wrote: > The other day I mistakenly right clicked on the toolbar > at the bottom of my screen. I think I inadvertetnly > clicked "cascade windows"...

PDOI: Image display.
I hope to be able to display an image. I've looked at and tried to apply sample code from a number of sources, including Sam's _Teach Yourself Visual C++ in 21 Days_, an MFC Bible, Jeff Proise's MFC book, etc. I would like to set up an array as follows data[0] = 0; data[1] = 0; data[2] = 255; to draw a red square, rect, or triangle. Once I see I can control pixel values, invoke the CBitmap class and control the display of the pixels, I'll worry about the code that reads the image file to be displayed. Can someone point me in the right direction. I also started a basic M...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/20, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/20, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail loa210@mail.gr , loa210@mailbox.gr , -------------------------------------------------------- 08/22/2007 Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.10 X86 08/14/2007 Adobe CS3 Master Collection MAC OSX UB D1 .DVD 08/09/2007 Digidesign Pro Tools V7.3 LE MAC OSX 05/11/2007 Altiverb 5.1 .MAC. .PPC. OSX 04/26/2007 VTC Macromedia D...

Excel addon for Mac
For my marketing college class I had to buy a textbook that comes with Excel addon software. However, the software is Windows only. I own a Mac with office, Excel included. Does anyone know if there if a copy of the software for Macs? Textbook: Basic Marketing Research: Using Microsoft Excel Data Analysis Software: XL Data Analyst OS: Mac OS X 10.4.4 Office: Mac office 2004 Teacher/Student Edition I have also contacted the publisher of the book and they said they could not find a Mac version of the addon. A search of google leads to http://xldataanalyst.com/Basic/ -- Regards, Tush...

Using 2007 Word to open 2003 Word document
I just installed Office 2007. When I opened any Word 2003 document, the formatting seems to be all skewered. For example, a page breaks off in the middle, and a five page document becomes five and half. Will someone please tell how to us Word 2007 in opening a Word 2003 document without the former formatting? The difference is almost certainly caused by differences in the Printer Driver. (It also points to some probably irrational formatting in the original document). -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services o...