Local Software Update service for Office 2004?

Is it possible to run a local software update server for Microsoft
Office on my LAN?

With my Xserves, I am using Software Update Service for Apple updates,
but can't figure out if there is a way to run a local software update
service without using my Internet connection.

I can get it from the central servers fine, but was wondering if I
could run a local server to manage the Office Updates and monitor the
update levels per station.

0
remaker (2)

Phillip Remaker wrote:
> Is it possible to run a local software update server for Microsoft
> Office on my LAN?
>
> With my Xserves, I am using Software Update Service for Apple updates,
> but can't figure out if there is a way to run a local software update
> service without using my Internet connection.
>
> I can get it from the central servers fine, but was wondering if I
> could run a local server to manage the Office Updates and monitor the
> update levels per station.

Hi Phillip!

Not officially.

I do see in this file
"/Applications/Microsoft\ AutoUpdate.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft\ AU\
Daemon.app/Contents/Resources/Defaults.strings" this server address
"http://www.microsoft.com/mac/autoupdate/". If I attempt to go to this
address I am unable to read the contents of this location. You might try
experimenting by inserting your own local server address and placing the
stand-alone updater in that location. No idea if this will work.

Hope this helps and good luck! bill
--
William M. Smith
(Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows)

Nobody has reverse engineered this?  Surprising.  Between WSUS and
SUS, I'd think Microsoft would arrange a way for updates to some
through.

0
remaker (2)

Localization dll
Hi, I am developing a hook under VS2005 and need to localize it for different countries. I added the app.resource.dll to the global assembly, but SO ignores the localized version. It uses the standard language. Does anybody has a sloution? Thanks, Martin On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:44:00 -0700, martin <martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, >I am developing a hook under VS2005 and need to localize it for different >countries. >I added the app.resource.dll to the global assembly, but SO ignores the >localized version. It uses the standard language. > >Does a...

Got returned mails while send mails to a outside DL which include our local mail addresses.
Hi, Got returned mails while send mails to a outside DL which include our local mail addresses. We meet such problem,but don't know how to resolve it. The below is the detail: We have a local mail system based on iMail system;On another side,the mail system is based on Exchange system.On this Exchange system,there're several DLs,which include some our local email addresses. While we send mails to these DLs,we often got such returned mails: The returned mails' content is: From: postmaster@us.com [mailto:postmaster@us.com] Sent: 2006.4.11. 12:08 To: xxx@xx.local.com Subject: D...

InfoPath Forms Services not see RemoteApp file associations
I have a MOSS2007/InfoPath Forms Services with a Form Library. The form library is configured Opening browser-enabled documents as "Open in the client application". Works as expected when InfoPath 2007 is installed on the local client. When a RemoteApp (Server 2008 R2) version of InfoPath 2007 is configured on a client, I get an error indicatiing the client app must be installed or a web form must be enabled. The RemoteApp (Server 2008 R2) version of InfoPath 2007 works fine on the client when opening a local .xsn file, or when access file via the network (UNC ...

Source of on line price updates after they are dropped by Money
For more than 20 years I have been updating MyPortfolio online in Microsoft Money. I then export the prices to Excel where each week I spread the price Data across separate Worksheets, one for each fund. This operation is carried out automatically under Macro control. There are twelve funds in MyPortfolio which have not updated since May/June in either Microsoft Money or in MSN Money although on each site these outdated prices are, and continue to be, quoted as current updated prices, which is wrong. To cap it all Microsoft Money is withdrawing support of Online price updates and MSN ...

Identify web service callers
Hello! We are deweloping a web service wich does some processing depending on wich user called it. The problem is that the web service has to know wich user made a call to it. In IIS the Anonymous check box is not set and Integrated windows authentication is set. This is how i set the proxy on the client ws.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials Are there any methods on the web service side that i could use to determine wich user called the web service. I tried : Dim id As System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity = System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent() but i...

Localizing ddv error messages
Hi, I've been given an application to maintain which links statically to the MFC library. In all the dialogs of the application, if invalid data is entered, the ddv routines generate error messages in French, even though the language propert of all the dialogs is English (U.S.) and my project options include "/l 0x407". If I link dynamically to the MFC library, all error messages are generated in English. Is there a way I can link statically AND have English error messages? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Linda "Linda Marcellus" <linda.marcellus@novate...

Update Question
I have a form that I enter data and then I click a button to print a report. The data that I typed in does not appear unless I save the form or scroll the mouse wheel. Is there a way that as I type the data the form saves without me having to click save every time? yes, just force a disk write..... if me.dirty = True then me.dirty = false end if docmd.OpenReprot "your reprot"....... -- Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP) Edmonton, Alberta Canada pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 22:16:17 -0700, jay <libertysmith10@yahoo.com> wrote: >I have a for...

Error when sending messages : 550 not local host
I have outlook 2002 and keep getting returned mail with the above error even know the mail somtimes gets delivered what causes this is it the ISP? It is the ISP not allowing you to relay through their servers. Set your outgoing server to authenticate. Open the Account properties and on the server tab, check the option for the outgoing serverto authenticate. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding not answer: Brogers@autotote.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | I ha...

Uninstall office 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I've been having problems with my office install for a while now, it just refuses to update, saying the version of office required for the update isn't available. So i decided to uninstall the whole thing and reinstall it. However, the remove office app doesn't find any versions of office on my system :S Even though it's quite clearly there. I'm on snow leopard, but had these problems before i upgraded, too. Any ideas how i can remove it completely and reset everything so i can install it properly ...

MONEY 2004 WEB ACCOUNT ACCESS
I get the following microsoft error message when I provide my username and password for my online account. (After that Money crashes) _______________________________________________________ AppName: msmoney.exe AppVer: 12.0.0.613 ModName: msvcrt.dll ModVer: 6.1.8637.0 Offset: 0000d376 Try to upgrade, reinstall, or repair Internet Explorer. Msvcrt.dll is a file that will be reinstalled or updated by IE. "RS" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:021301c3a643$cc77f8a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I get the following microsoft error message when I >...

Updating back end DB question
What happens if I update a back end database while users are in the front end in Access 2003? Will the data being entered at the time be compromised? Basically, the front end has the forms and a table that contains the data entry info. The back end consists of a series of tables that contain pre-existing background info on the possible data entries in the front end table. In other words, I'm wanting to update the background tables periodically (perhaps even daily), in preparation for users' data entry, but without having to ask them to exit the front end database ev...

B2B Services
I represent a company with a B2B model. We sell our product on a subscription basis and we also sell products at one-time charges. What is the best way to model this in CRM? conisder adding a months number in the opportunity. This will allow you to track the number of months subscriptions. You could also incorporate the one time charge by setting your month number to 1 ie for the one time sales treat it as a one month subscription "Bobby" <Bobby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED5CCD5A-C0D4-488A-B5FE-07B538B6F2E1@microsoft.com... >I represent a com...

Money SP1 Update Issue Fixed
You should now be able to install the SP1 update with Money 2007 the issue has been fixed although it may take a day or two for all the servers to be fixed but most should work now I beleive Steve ...

Cell =Now() << Can I get this to auto-update?
Hi, I am using Excel 2007. In one cell, I entered the following formula: =Now() After I typed in the formula and hit <Enter>, my cell displayed the current time when I hit <Enter>. I was hoping that as time went by, the value in my cell would be constantly updated so as to reflect the current time. Currently, the only way I can get the value in my cell to update is to go to Formulas | Calculation Group and select "Calculate Now". Is there anyway I can make my cell update automatically without having to do this? Thanks in advance, Paul -- Pau...

Recipient Update Service not updating new users
Every once and a while my RUS will not add new users that I create to the global address list. It will work fine for several weeks or months and then stop. I try the update now option but the user is still not added. The only way that I can get them added is to reboot the server. Has anybody encounterd this also? Is this a configuration problem or is there a fix available? THanks. Hi, "Elbryyan" <Elbryyan@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:9E0D3D38-AEA8-46E2-BB8D-C54D5C8AA548@microsoft.com... > Every once and a while my RUS will not add new u...

How can I prevent OE closing Local Folders?
After 5-6 years, I am just returning to use OE 6. I have an extensive tree structure in my Local Folders with many sub folders that I wish to keep open even when I exit the program. With Courier, which I have used all this time, that is "normal behavior": any Folder that has not been closed by myself will continue to be open when I next start up the prog. OE6 at present, however, closes _everything_ when closing the prog. Is there any way in which I can prevent this - and being spared the rather frustrating and time consuming job of re-opening all needed folders...

chart not updating
I have a pivot table with a drop down that lists division. Data presented is dependent upon which division I select. Next I have cells referenced to the same cells in my pivot table. My reason is that a pivot chart is not as flexible as a chart based on a normal table. Anyway, my chart is made with those cells as the source. The cells update based upon what division I selected in my pivot table drop down. (Same data in both places: independent table and pivot table). However, my chart is not updating as it should. It retains the first division's information. It worked ini...

all iisadmin/exchange services keep restarting
Our exchange server has some very big issues today. All IIS Admin and Exchange services (this does not include the IS...it stays running) continue to fail and restart every few minutes. I thought it might be code red II, but after doing a virus scan I came up with nothing. Any other ideas? Here is my server config: Windows 2000 server SP4. Exchange 2000 ENT SP3 with all rollups. ALL hotfixes applied. Group Shield 5.2. GFI ME 9.0. 2 XEON's. 1 GB ram. 200 gb for Stores. 201 Mailboxes. This can happen if some plugin installed on your Exchange is causing a memory exception, which term...

Will Office 2008 have an upgrade path from Office 2004?
I'm hearing about a lot of problems with the updates, etc... I'd really like to know what is going on/expected to happen with the Office 2008 suite. It would be cool if MSBU could develop an accounting package for the office suite. Can someone fill me in on the 2008 scuttlebutt? --Walter-- Hi Walter, information on Office 2008 is quite scarce, so I'm afraid that no one outside of Microsoft has an answer to your question. As a matter of fact, I don't even know if that many people at Microsoft do, since it's still very early days for the upcoming Office suite. If I were...

Installation of Office 2004 on OS X 10.5 Leopard
I installed Office 2004 (and EndNote) after upgrading to Leopard 10.5 and something is amiss. Three (probably related) symptoms I observed: 1. After the install, when opening Word, I'm greeted with the prompt: "An unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Microsoft Framework library." 2. When trying to update Office 2004 via Microsoft AutoUpdate, the application recognizes any out-of-date versions, but then hangs and doesn't download anything (requires a force quit). Also hangs if running updates that were manually downloaded from Microsoft's website. (even o...

Updating a Distribution List with a changed email address
When someone changes their Email address I change the Contact information but sometimes forget that they are in a Distribution List which retains their old address. Is there any way to force DLs to update their data from Contacts? Even when I do remember I cannot find anyway to update an individual entry in the DL other than to remove the members and then add them back in. Surely there must be some better way to vaildate and update addresses in a DL that I cannot find? I am using Outlook 2007 in Vista Ultimate 32 bit. Doesn't the DL have and "update now" button? If so, yo...

installing office 2003 over office 2000
I have MS Office 2000 and thinking about getting MS Office 2003. Does 2000 have to be uninstalled first? How is 2003 installed on top of 2000? Hi rhfjr! When you insert the 2003 CDROM you get the choice of either updating your existing version or retaining it. Most users, I think, choose to update but there are no real problems associated with having more than one version on your computer as long as you have plenty of spare hard drive capacity. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au "rhfjr" <rhfjr@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Management Studio
I have both a named instance of SQL Server 2008 and Express 2008 installed. When I try to connect with Management Studio, neither of those instances appears in the list of local servers. But I can see them in the list of network servers. In Local, I can see Integration Services only. Under the Network Servers tab, I see my server with the two database engines listed. In both cases, I have protocols Shared Memory, Named Pipes, and TCP/IP enabled, and VIA disabled. Is that the way it should be? I checked HideInstance in the Configuration Manager and it is set to No for both ins...

Multiple windows updating multiple rows simultaneously ?
I'm maintaining an application that currently allows entry of new records or updating exisiting records. What would be involved in modifiying the application to allow multiple windows to be open simultaneously. In other words, if the user is updating or creating a record in one window, he can leave that window and go update another record in another window or create a new record in another window, returning to the other windows afterwards. How complex would this be to handle? Thanks in advance for any help. Yes, I guess that's what it would amount to. "SteveM" wrote...

No updates after restore
After restoring a backup two accounts needed to be relinked to download from their respective institutions. The setup appeared to work, but since then they will not automatically download, or come back with update unsuccessful. Scott In microsoft.public.money, Scott <spokriefka@incat.com.(donotspam)> wrote: >After restoring a backup two accounts needed to be relinked to download from >their respective institutions. The setup appeared to work, but since then >they will not automatically download, or come back with update unsuccessful. Do you still have the problem? What...