Intel Version - when?

Anybody know when the MacIntel version of Office will be available?

I need to know also!!!

On 2/4/06 8:21 AM, in article C00A1475.94D1%michael@qamera.com, "Michael
Jardine" <michael@qamera.com> wrote:

> Anybody know when the MacIntel version of Office will be available?

You can use Office right now on MacIntels, it uses Rosetta. According to all
reports to date, it works very well there without much appreciable slowdown,
so there's no need to worry about getting a MacIntel.

For an Intel-native version of Office (actually it will be a "universal
binary" version that will work native in both Intels and PPCs), you'll need
to wait for the next major version of Office (i.e. 12). It won't be in a
service release, or anything like that. The developers have to change over
to coding in Xcode to make universal binaries - they can only do tat in a
new version. And they have much, much else to contend with - the new XML
file formats, changes to the UI, new features, etc. etc. It has not been
announced, and is not likely the be for quite some time. Office 12 Windows
is not due until the end of 2006, and Office Mac usually follows about a
year later. In this case, with all these enormous changes, I'd guess that
would be the earliest, but no one knows for sure, nor will they for a long
time to come. You could wait for more reports when the MacBook Pros come
out, but I wouldn't be surprised if the combination of much faster
processors there plus Rosetta results in about the same performance as in
current PowerBooks. All reports from Intel iMacs are that using Office 2004
is very acceptable there.

--
Paul Berkowitz
MVP MacOffice

Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
ignored.

PLEASE always state which version of Microsoft Office you are using -
**2004**, X  or 2001. It's often impossible to answer your questions
otherwise.

0
berkowit (221)
2/4/2006 5:42:27 PM
Thanks, Paul

On 2/4/06 9:42 AM, in article C00A2783.C1979%berkowit@spoof_silcom.com,
"Paul Berkowitz" <berkowit@spoof_silcom.com> wrote:

> On 2/4/06 8:21 AM, in article C00A1475.94D1%michael@qamera.com, "Michael
> Jardine" <michael@qamera.com> wrote:
>
>> Anybody know when the MacIntel version of Office will be available?
>
> You can use Office right now on MacIntels, it uses Rosetta. According to all
> reports to date, it works very well there without much appreciable slowdown,
> so there's no need to worry about getting a MacIntel.
>
> For an Intel-native version of Office (actually it will be a "universal
> binary" version that will work native in both Intels and PPCs), you'll need
> to wait for the next major version of Office (i.e. 12). It won't be in a
> service release, or anything like that. The developers have to change over
> to coding in Xcode to make universal binaries - they can only do tat in a
> new version. And they have much, much else to contend with - the new XML
> file formats, changes to the UI, new features, etc. etc. It has not been
> announced, and is not likely the be for quite some time. Office 12 Windows
> is not due until the end of 2006, and Office Mac usually follows about a
> year later. In this case, with all these enormous changes, I'd guess that
> would be the earliest, but no one knows for sure, nor will they for a long
> time to come. You could wait for more reports when the MacBook Pros come
> out, but I wouldn't be surprised if the combination of much faster
> processors there plus Rosetta results in about the same performance as in
> current PowerBooks. All reports from Intel iMacs are that using Office 2004
> is very acceptable there.

End of 2007???? Wow!!

On 2/4/06 12:42, in article C00A2783.C1979%berkowit@spoof_silcom.com, "Paul
Berkowitz" <berkowit@spoof_silcom.com> wrote:

> On 2/4/06 8:21 AM, in article C00A1475.94D1%michael@qamera.com, "Michael
> Jardine" <michael@qamera.com> wrote:
>
>> Anybody know when the MacIntel version of Office will be available?
>
> You can use Office right now on MacIntels, it uses Rosetta. According to all
> reports to date, it works very well there without much appreciable slowdown,
> so there's no need to worry about getting a MacIntel.Office 12 Windows
> is not due until the end of 2006, and Office Mac usually follows about a
> year later.

That's a long wait. I do like using Entourage very much but am thinking of
switching over to Mellel for wp. How will the new .xml format make
compatibility between programs better or worse? The next version of Mellel
will include .xml.

> would be the earliest, but no one knows for sure, nor will they for a long
> time to come. You could wait for more reports when the MacBook Pros come
> out, but I wouldn't be surprised if the combination of much faster
> processors there plus Rosetta results in about the same performance as in
> current PowerBooks. All reports from Intel iMacs are that using Office 2004
> is very acceptable there.

I've heard varying reports recently. Seems the Minis run Rosetta and Office
painfully slow, according to the some reports. The higher end Mactels may
run roughly the same as current PPC, which is acceptable.

Thanks for the information Paul.

0
news3828 (1)
3/8/2006 7:37:41 PM
On 3/8/06 1:37 PM, in article C0349CB5.25F0A%news@stevenday.us, "Steven Day"
<news@stevenday.us> wrote:

> I do like using Entourage very much but am thinking of
> switching over to Mellel for wp. How will the new .xml format make
> compatibility between programs better or worse? The next version of Mellel
> will include .xml.

"Seamless cross-platform compatibility is of prime importance to Mac users
and remains a key focus of the Mac BU. To ensure that Office for Mac
customers receive the highest level of compatibility, the Mac BU will issue
converters that let Office for Mac users read the new Microsoft Office Open
XML Format. These downloadable converters will be released for current
versions of Office for Mac following the availability of the next version of
Office for Windows�. The Mac BU partners daily with many groups at Microsoft
to help ensure that its software operates smoothly with software on the
Windows platform. Through this ongoing collaboration, the team is well
positioned to continue identifying new and creative ways to help Mac users
work smarter."

Source:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/jan06/01-10Macworld2006PR.mspx

--
Mickey Stevens (Microsoft MVP for Office:mac)
PowerPoint FAQ featuring PowerPoint:mac: <http://www.pptfaq.com/>

Hi,

You can also save as XML in TextEdit, which come with MacOSX.

Brian's blog has info about Word XML
http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

> On 3/8/06 1:37 PM, in article C0349CB5.25F0A%news@stevenday.us, "Steven Day"
> <news@stevenday.us> wrote:
>

>>I do like using Entourage very much but am thinking of
>>switching over to Mellel for wp. How will the new .xml format make
>>compatibility between programs better or worse? The next version of Mellel
>>will include .xml.
0
goldkey74 (611)

Adding Forms from earlier versions
I ues OL 2002. I just downloaded RealEstate Forms that was used in OL 97/98. Can it be used in OL 2002? How can it be installed? IIRC, the add-in forms were a .pst file. Run the .exe and see what happens. I still run the Diary application and I used to run the While You Were Out form from 97/98. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Rick asked: | I ues OL 2002. I just download...

Fail to load debug version of a DLL
Hi. I want to get some log messages from a DLL, so after the installation of the product I replace the release version of that DLL with its debug version. It's used during Widows authentication and first time it must be loaded by 'winlogon.exe'. After restarting machine an error occures presumably at the step of Windows authentication, stating, that the abovementioned DLL failed to load. I've checked the 2 versions of it (debug and release) with DependencyWalker, they both are dependent on the the same modules... So, the question is somewhat abstract: what are the main reasons...

2003 version to 2000 version
I created a file using publisher 2003 on my laptop, emailed it to work, where I have publisher 2000, and now I can't open it. Is there any way to open this on my machine at work? The only way you can open it is by save the file as a Publisher 2000 file format. You will have to go to a machine that has Publisher 2003 on it and go to File > Save As and change the file save as type to Publisher 2000. Note that there may be some formatting loss going to a legacy version. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS&quo...

Regsvr32 failed for debug version of Dll, why?
Hi There, I am working on a MFC application with sone Dlls. Development environment: Visual Studio 6.0 / Sp6 on Windows XP/Sp2. I login the system as an administrator. When I was registering debug version of my dll using regsvr32, it failed. Result of debugging points to: BOOL COleLinkingDoc::RegisterIfServerAttached(LPCTSTR lpszPathName, BOOL bMessage) The lpszPathName is my dll file name, which is empty; although I am sure the path name has been sent to the regsvr32. I tried to register the same dll file programmatically: // Start of the code ///////// #ifdef _WIN32 // this call ...

Graduate to which version of Quark??
Thinking I need to head toward Quark since I need to end up with .pdf files to send to a print-on-demand publisher. Do I understand that Quark 5.01 is where I should head (because of rumors of Quark 6 being buggy) ?? Thanks for opinions, spncity A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from spncity <newsatspncity.mailshell.com>!"... > Do I understand that Quark 5.01 is where I should head (because of > rumors of Quark 6 being buggy) ?? I really wouldn't ask this in a Microsoft Publisher group if I were you... You don't need Quark to mak...

Applications Responding Slowly on iMac with Intel
I just purchased the new iMac with the Intel processor. (I am also a new Mac user.) When I am using Microsoft Office, everything is responding slowly. For example, it can take 30-45 seconds to launch Excel. Also, when I'm executing certain actions within the applications, I sometimes get the "beachball" icon and everything is moving slowly overall. Applecare has no anwers for me, and I've taken the computer into the store for a diagnostic and everything came out clean with respect to my hardware. Has anyone else had this problem? You didn't specify, but I'm as...

Office 2004 on Intel Macs
I'm planning on purchasing a new Intel-based MacBook (announced yesterday), but I also recently purchased Office 2004. I'm concerned that Office will not be compatible or run poorly using Apple's Rosetta interpreter. Is there any information out there from Microsoft or otherwise commenting on this compatibility? Will MS offer free upgrades to the universal binary versions? On 1/11/06 4:05 PM, "laurencemayer@yahoo.com" wrote: > I'm planning on purchasing a new Intel-based MacBook (announced > yesterday), but I also recently purchased Office 2004. I'm conc...

purchase download version
If I purchase MS money from Microsoft and download the program, will I at some later date be able to move the program to a different PC? =?Utf-8?B?RWxsaW90TA==?= <ElliotL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 27 Jan 2008 in group microsoft.public.money: > If I purchase MS money from Microsoft and download the program, will > I at some later date be able to move the program to a different PC? Yes, as long as you keep your install file and registration code. There is an extra-cost feature that will allow you to download the install file for an extended time. You might want that....

version of exchange
Hi I have small business server 2000 with exchange on it . How do I find out what version of exchange I am ruinning. I went to help about from the system exhange manager and I got version 5.0 but it just relates to a microsoft management console Thanks In Exchange System Manager (ESM), select the Servers container, on the right hand side of the screen it will list the servers with a column that contains the proper version information. You may have to expand the column to see all the details. On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 02:21:05 -0800, paploo <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >H...

PC Emulator for the new Intel Macs.
Hi, I am considering switching to the Mac. Now that the new Intel Mac has been released, my concern is not having a PC emulator for those few PC based apps that I have not found or are not ready to substitute yet. Questions: (1) Does anyone have a word on when the Virtual PC will work for the Intel based Macs? (2) Does anyone use another PC amulator that they can reccommend? (3) Any other idea to address this need? Thanks so much. Martin. you'll want to check this out, newly posted on macrumors.com, on OpenOSX http://www.macrumors.com/ There is also WINE / Darwine, this is what ...

troubleshooting the release version
Can someone give me a tip on how to troubleshoot an access violation that occurs in the release exe but not in the debug version? I'd like to add that the exception I get with the release version does not occur in the development environment -- only when I open the exe separately, say from within Windows Explorer. I turned on debugger info for the release configuration, but I get no indications of any trouble. -------------------- "Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message news:OWtqGagjEHA.2812@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Can someone give me a t...

Outlook 2008 Trial version
I installed a trial version of Outlook 2008. I entered the product code. It won't let me send email or reply to emails. It says that in order to do so, I have to purchase a licensed copy of Microsoft Office. Does that mean I can not fully use the email in the trial version unless I buy the software? There is no such thing as Microsoft Office Outlook 2008 for Windows. = Tell us what you really have. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After furious head scratching, Lynne asked: | I installed a trial version of Outlook...

International version #3
Hi, does anyone know where within the US I can buy the Money 2005 deluxe International version throug mail order? Thanks ...

POWERPNT.EXE version Number difference
Hello Everyone, we are having Issue at work were we are playing with graph etc in power point and just a random time it will freeze and not respond. i have been trying to look into way it is doing what it is doing but have yet to find out. i have tried applying some of the hot fixes Microsoft suggested but still the problem occurs. I have Office 2007 Pro + Version 12.0.6514.5000 and for each one of my EXE word excel etc under the properties it says the correct version but fot POWERPNT.EXE it say 12.0.6500.5000. my question is, Is this right? or should the EXE for power po...

MS Dynamics Connector GP-CRM Spanish Version
I would like to suggest the creation of the MS Dynamics Connector for GP-CRM in a Spanish Version. The connector installer that exists only works for both english product version (GP and CRM). We are Microsoft Certified Gold Partner and we understand that we can create more opportunities for Latin America if this feature is available. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link...

MS Money
I'm looking for a "general" English version of Money. I live in Austria and I'm dealing with small, European banks including Eastern European ones. I've heard about Australian version but maybe there is any version available, not so much US or UK specific? You'd be after the 'International' version of Money. You could call it like the US or the UK version with all the localisation stripped out. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft y...

Office vX for Mac and Intel?
Hi, i have Office v.X and now have the Intel laptop with 10.4.7. Im finding that Office is running very slow for my taste, and while everyone is saying Office 2004 will run fairly well with Intel until a native version arrives in 2007 or later, I have yet to find info on how vX compares to 2004 on this machine. If its similar, I'd rather wait to upgrade next year than pay for 2004 now. Please advise.... Thanks! Amanda. Hi Amanda, v.X and 2004 both use Rosetta technology to work, so I would expect the speed to be roughly the same for each version. From what I can gather the next ...

debug release version?
How to debug the release version code? My debug version run OK. But release version crushed. How to debug the release code? Joe wrote an article on this, but mostly I just step through with the debugger running the release version. You won't be able to see all of the variables, but breakpoints will still work and you'll be able to find code that crashes. You can also put in message boxes to let you know how far you're getting in some operations. http://www.flounder.com/debug_release.htm Tom "kathy" <yqin_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1178310405.14...

Mixed mode assembly is built against version 'v2.0.50727' of the runtime and cannot be loaded in the 4.0 runtime ... Please, how to solve this
Hello, I am working with VS 2010 / NET 4.0 to create a simple WPF / C# application. I am using the following assemblies: Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo The project builds fine but when I run it I get the following error: Mixed mode assembly is built against version 'v2.0.50727' of the runtime and cannot be loaded in the 4.0 runtime without additional configuration information. Does anyone knows how to solve this problem? Is this because my NET is 4.0 and the assemblies are in 2.0? If t...

New Offce version?
Is there a new version of Office coming out soon? I saw the Office 2007 Student edition on sale NEW for $75.... Might it be because a new version may be coming out? There is a "technical preview" version (Microsoft's name for it) of Office 2010 that has been made available to a limited number of users/developers. No exact release date for the retail version has been announced. My guess (no charge) is mid next year after Windows 7 has been partially digested. -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA "mac" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote in message Is there a new vers...

Open older versions of Money files with newer version of Money?
I have an older version of Money, really old, like 10 years. And when I try to open it with the Money Plus version currently on sale, I get the message that my old file has been saved with a newer version ;-) Wheras this error message is obviously an error in itself, does anyone have a suggestion? Please advise, Best regards, Markus In microsoft.public.money, Markus wrote: >I have an older version of Money, really old, like 10 years. And when I >try to open it with the Money Plus version currently on sale, I get the >message that my old file has been saved with a newer vers...

Version 10 Upgrade
In preparation for an upgrade from version 9 to version 10, I've installed a test server with a copy of SQL 2005, GP 9, Service Pack 4. The upgrade failed. In researching the failure I found a reference to a previous version with a product ID I don't recognize. select * from du000020 order by prodid returns companyID PRODID versionMajor versionMinor -32767 2346 7 50 2 2346 7 50 4 2346 7 50 0 3104 8 0 What is companyID -32767 and what is prodid 2346? CompanyID 2 ...

Switching to newer version of FP
Hi. I have a webpage that was done in Frontpage 2000. I do not have this program and am looking at purchasing Frontpage 2003 or Expressions with Frontpage 2003. Do you know if I will be able to download the existing webpage in the older version into the new software with out any problems? Please advise and thanks. You will have no problems using FrontPage 2003. Expression Web can be used and will support all webbots and FrontPage components in the existing web site, but does not have a navigation view. FrontPage Navigation components cannot be edited or added to, but w...

e-mailing work bok version M/S office 2003
the question regarding problem with e-mailing a spread sheet I forgot to include itis M/S office 2003 -- Thank-you Carl R ...

Will my Office OS X updated to 10.1.9 run on my new Intel nased Mac
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have Office for Mac OS X, uppdated to 10.1.9., on my old 10.3.9 G4. I am taking delivery of an Intel based Macbook Pro running 10.5 Will my old Office run on Leopard? If not, is the Home/Student Version equivalent, or do I have to buy the much more expensive Office 2008? Can you get rebates? You've actually raised several issues here, so see the in-line responses: On 6/28/09 12:27 PM, in article 59b773f8.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Sparkswj72@aol.com@officeformac.com" <Sparkswj72@aol.com@officeform...