Installation of Office 2004 on OS X 10.5 Leopard

I installed Office 2004 (and EndNote) after upgrading to Leopard 10.5
and something is amiss.

Three (probably related) symptoms I observed:

1. After the install, when opening Word, I'm greeted with the prompt:
"An unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Microsoft
Framework library."

2. When trying to update Office 2004 via Microsoft AutoUpdate, the
application recognizes any out-of-date versions, but then hangs and
doesn't download anything (requires a force quit). Also hangs if
running updates that were manually downloaded from Microsoft's
website.

(even on my wife's MacBook, AutoUpdate quit updating after an archive
and install of 10.5. where Office 2004 was already installed. So it
seems to be a 10.5 specific issue).

3. I subsequently installed the latest version of EndNote for Mac (v.
X.0.2), but it won't integrate with (won't find?) Microsoft Word.
EndNote should be accessible through Word's Tool menu bar.

I don't know who can fix this, Microsoft or Apple. So I'm posting at
both places. Hopefully there is a fix soon.

Tom

In article <1194859508.376223.177830@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com>,
 ratliff.tom@gmail.com wrote:

> I installed Office 2004 (and EndNote) after upgrading to Leopard 10.5
> and something is amiss.
>
> Three (probably related) symptoms I observed:
>
> 1. After the install, when opening Word, I'm greeted with the prompt:
> "An unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Microsoft
> Framework library."

Hmmm... I don't get that on any of my Leopard machines.

> 2. When trying to update Office 2004 via Microsoft AutoUpdate, the
> application recognizes any out-of-date versions, but then hangs and
> doesn't download anything (requires a force quit). Also hangs if
> running updates that were manually downloaded from Microsoft's
> website.
>
> (even on my wife's MacBook, AutoUpdate quit updating after an archive
> and install of 10.5. where Office 2004 was already installed. So it
> seems to be a 10.5 specific issue).

I don't get this either...

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to

JR
 ratliff.tom@gmail.com wrote:

> I installed Office 2004 (and EndNote) after upgrading to Leopard 10.5
> and something is amiss.
>
> Three (probably related) symptoms I observed:
>
> 1. After the install, when opening Word, I'm greeted with the prompt:
> "An unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Microsoft
> Framework library."
>
> 2. When trying to update Office 2004 via Microsoft AutoUpdate, the
> application recognizes any out-of-date versions, but then hangs and
> doesn't download anything (requires a force quit). Also hangs if
> running updates that were manually downloaded from Microsoft's
> website.
>
> (even on my wife's MacBook, AutoUpdate quit updating after an archive
> and install of 10.5. where Office 2004 was already installed. So it
> seems to be a 10.5 specific issue).
>
> 3. I subsequently installed the latest version of EndNote for Mac (v.
> X.0.2), but it won't integrate with (won't find?) Microsoft Word.
> EndNote should be accessible through Word's Tool menu bar.
>
> I don't know who can fix this, Microsoft or Apple. So I'm posting at
> both places. Hopefully there is a fix soon.

Can't tell you about EndNote, except that its relationship with Word has
been so buggy over the years that I've given up trying.

Since AutoUpdate isn't working, I'd recommend removing Office using the
Remove Office application (anything else isn't likely to help),
reinstalling, and updating by downloading the relevant updaters
(starting with 11.3.5) from Mactopia and run them.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
11/12/2007 5:30:09 PM
On November12Monday11/12/07 1:25 AM, in article
"ratliff.tom@gmail.com" <ratliff.tom@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. After the install, when opening Word, I'm greeted with the prompt:
> "An unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Microsoft
> Framework library."

From the Error Page:
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/error/text.html#error_fw>

Option 1) If you receive a framework error, re-apply recent updates. A
framework error normally means one or more components of Office have not
been updated correctly and are now out of synch with other bits.

Option 2) The "Framework error" is basically a (generic) message indicating
the application can't connect to the Database or to the expected information
inside the Database. The reasons may differ and so may the methods to solve
it.

Some users have resorted to deleting the MUD folder, but before you do that
try some other methods (repairing permissions, rebuilding the Database,...)
before you take a drastic action like deleting the MUD folder.

Another option to deleting the Microsoft User Data folder is to move it to
the desktop and rename it. Let Entourage create a new MUD folder then you
should be able to move your Identity back to the correct location.

Mactopia Downloads
<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx>

You need to get these updaters:

11.3.5 combo
11.3.6 requires 11.3.5 to be installed
11.3.7 requires 11.3.6 to be installed
11.3.8 requires 11.3.7 to be installed
--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP

diane7495 (1195)
11/12/2007 11:37:33 PM
Hi Ratliff,

The framework error is a result of not installing the office updates. Did
you attempt to manually install any updates?  The way to launch the
autoupdate utility is from the Help menu of any office application.

EndNote X has no known compatibility problems with Word or Leopard. I just
installed Leopard, then Office 2004 and Endnote on a new laptop today.

By any chance do you still have the trial version of office on your
computer?  If so, use the Remove Office tool to get rid of it, as the trial
version may be trying to be the default application instead of the actual
version.

-Jim

Quoting from "ratliff.tom@gmail.com" <ratliff.tom@gmail.com>, in article
1194859508.376223.177830@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com, on [DATE: