How to install Office 2008 for mac if there's "No default application to open the office installer"

version used: Office 2008 for mac student/home edition<br>
Is the installer supposed to launch on on its own? Mine doesn't seem to and when I click on it I get a pop-up that says that there is "No default application to open the office installer".<br>
The only I seem to be able to open it is with a program called Pacifist, but even then it is tedious and doesn't install properly. I get stuck at the Setup assistant pop which launches whenever I try to open an Office 2008 program or associated document. ( &lt;http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums?13@@.ee8b5e0/5&gt; )<br>
Long story made short: Is there a more efficient and less tedious way to install Office 2008 for mac?<br>
Thanks :)<br>
deb.

Hi Deb:

The failure to run the office installer indicates there is an issue with
your system that needs to be resolved.

Office 2008 does not actually use its own "installer", it is supplied as a
..pkg file that calls the OS X Installer.  You need to hit the Apple boards
and ask how to resolve that issue before you can go much further � it's not
just Office that won't be installing.

And "No" there is no easier way � the .pkg format was adopted because it's
easier and faster than the previous method :-)

You should be able to copy the .pkg files onto your hard disk and
double-click them.  The system installer takes over from there and puts
everything in the correct place.

If that's not working, you need to resolve that issue first.

Hope this helps

On 31/01/08 9:41 PM, in article ee8b790.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"laberinthe@officeformac.com" <laberinthe@officeformac.com> wrote:

> version used: Office 2008 for mac student/home edition
>
> Is the installer supposed to launch on on its own? Mine doesn't seem to and
> when I click on it I get a pop-up that says that there is "No default
> application to open the office installer".
>
> The only I seem to be able to open it is with a program called Pacifist, but
> even then it is tedious and doesn't install properly. I get stuck at the Setup
> assistant pop which launches whenever I try to open an Office 2008 program or
> associated document. (
> <http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums?13@@.ee8b5e0/5> )
>
> Long story made short: Is there a more efficient and less tedious way to
> install Office 2008 for mac?
>
> Thanks :)
> deb.

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Nhulunbuy, Northern Territory, Australia
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1073)
1/31/2008 12:40:02 PM
On 1/31/08 4:11 AM, in article ee8b790.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"laberinthe@officeformac.com" <laberinthe@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Is the installer supposed to launch on on its own? Mine doesn't seem to and
> when I click on it I get a pop-up that says that there is "No default
> application to open the office installer".

You might try running the 10.5.1 standalone updater or the latest Apple
combo updater to see if that will fix your problem.

It really helps when you include your system info.

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)

How to install Office 2008 for mac if there's "No default application to open the office installer"