hard drive too full after reinstalling XP

For numerous reasons, I did a full reinstall from XP Pro on up.  There were
two partitions, one that had a significant amount of data and one miniscule.
I kept the partitions and wiped out the old info and loaded the new - at
least that's what the windows were walking me through "Warning this will wipe
out all previous versions...."

To make a long story short, I have completely restored the laptop with
minimal programs.  All the Microsoft updates including SP3, have been loaded.
 When I went to check my disk usage in "my computer" the disk is half full!
How is that possible?

It's working fine, albeit a little slow.  I'm assuming that's because of the
amount of disk space used - it can't possibly be from the two "optional"
programs I have installed!  Help!!!
0
lktx (1)

Hi,

this is a newsgroup dedicated to Microsoft Office for Mac; you must have
landed here because of the bad web interface provided by Microsoft. Even
though you will find a number of people in here who use both platforms, your
chances of obtaining a fast and accurate answer are much higher on a
newsgroup dedicated to Windows XP.

On 11/06/08 6:13, in article
DDE7F99B-1BF6-4C86-89A5-8AFF444EEFF6@microsoft.com, "lktx"

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP

*** Please always reply to the newsgroup. ***

0
mbintener1 (253)
6/11/2008 5:25:30 AM
Empty your Deleted Files, and run DeFrag.

Now, what do you see?

The way you installed, chances are, you installed a new copy of Windows and
a new copy of each of your programs BESIDE the old ones.

So "yes" your disk is now full of rubbish :-)

The quickest and cleanest way out of this would be to re-install again, and
THIS TIME, tell it to "Delete" the larger of the partitions, then create a
new one using the "Remaining space".

The smaller partition is probably your original software and drivers from
the manufacturer.  Leave that one alone unless you are sure you do not need
any of it (which you probably don't, and you could probably simply copy the
thing off to a CD ROM and forget about it!)

Cheers

On 11/06/08 1:43 PM, in article
DDE7F99B-1BF6-4C86-89A5-8AFF444EEFF6@microsoft.com, "lktx"
<lktx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> For numerous reasons, I did a full reinstall from XP Pro on up.  There were
> two partitions, one that had a significant amount of data and one miniscule.
> I kept the partitions and wiped out the old info and loaded the new - at
> least that's what the windows were walking me through "Warning this will wipe
> out all previous versions...."
>
> To make a long story short, I have completely restored the laptop with
> minimal programs.  All the Microsoft updates including SP3, have been loaded.
>  When I went to check my disk usage in "my computer" the disk is half full!
> How is that possible?
>
> It's working fine, albeit a little slow.  I'm assuming that's because of the
> amount of disk space used - it can't possibly be from the two "optional"
> programs I have installed!  Help!!!

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Nhulunbuy, NT, Australia.  mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1073)
6/11/2008 9:03:55 AM
See how helpful Mac people are?  ;-))

For future reference, here's where all the Microsoft discussion groups are
listed: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx

Clive Huggan
============

On 11/6/08 7:03 PM, in article C475CB13.15ED0%john@mcghie.name, "John
McGhie" <john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> Empty your Deleted Files, and run DeFrag.
>
> Now, what do you see?
>
> The way you installed, chances are, you installed a new copy of Windows and
> a new copy of each of your programs BESIDE the old ones.
>
> So "yes" your disk is now full of rubbish :-)
>
> The quickest and cleanest way out of this would be to re-install again, and
> THIS TIME, tell it to "Delete" the larger of the partitions, then create a
> new one using the "Remaining space".
>
> The smaller partition is probably your original software and drivers from
> the manufacturer.  Leave that one alone unless you are sure you do not need
> any of it (which you probably don't, and you could probably simply copy the
> thing off to a CD ROM and forget about it!)
>
> Cheers
>
> On 11/06/08 1:43 PM, in article
> DDE7F99B-1BF6-4C86-89A5-8AFF444EEFF6@microsoft.com, "lktx"
> <lktx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> For numerous reasons, I did a full reinstall from XP Pro on up.  There were
>> two partitions, one that had a significant amount of data and one miniscule.
>> I kept the partitions and wiped out the old info and loaded the new - at
>> least that's what the windows were walking me through "Warning this will wipe
>> out all previous versions...."
>>
>> To make a long story short, I have completely restored the laptop with
>> minimal programs.  All the Microsoft updates including SP3, have been loaded.
>>  When I went to check my disk usage in "my computer" the disk is half full!
>> How is that possible?
>>
>> It's working fine, albeit a little slow.  I'm assuming that's because of the
>> amount of disk space used - it can't possibly be from the two "optional"
>> programs I have installed!  Help!!!

Calculation Times in Excel XP vs. Excel 2003 and 2007
This is a strange one. I have an Excel workbook that was created in Excel XP. It has 4 total sheets -- 2 with data that's calculated, and 2 that are just for data lookups. Most of the functions employed are standard... included in Excel's library. It also uses 2 custom functions written in VBA running some higher level mathematical algorithms. System Specs: Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz (single-core, non-HT), 1.5 GB DDR RAM, 80GB PATA. Calculation Time: Excel XP -- 1 minute, 45 seconds Excel 2003 -- 8 minutes I have another computer that has Excel 2007 installed which, unlike previous ve...

Recovering Outlook Contacts After Windows Reinstallation
Hi, I am running XP SP3 and Outlook 2007. After reinstalling XP I realized that I forgot to backup my contacts. I thought I should be looking for a ..pst file. When I recovered outlook.pst and inserted it into c:\documents and settings\userprofile\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook and then opened outlook, I got a message saying that the .pst file is not a personal folders file. Please help. Thank you. Why are you reposting the same question instead of reading the reply to your earlier post? Do you need help using newsgroups? -- Russ Valentine "a...

problem in use money files after change of hard disc
I have using money since 1990 with constant updates, my latest update was in 2005. Recently my hard disc crashed and I have to change for a new hard disc, after install money, I was unable to open my money files which run satisfactorily before the crash. When I try to run openthe file it always says "the file is created by an older version of money, money will save a copy of the file and upgrade you file for use by the program". Then after a while a message apear saying that "money is unable to acess your file .....". Can any one help me. I have run the same file...

Full text index on Exchange 2003
Hello all, I am trying to build a full text index of the mailstore. The catalog is build fine but when performing a full population of the mailstore no mailboxes are indexed. The following messages show up in the Event log ------------------------------------------- Event Type: Information Event Source: Microsoft Search Event Category: Gatherer Event ID: 3018 Date: 28-7-2006 Time: 8:35:05 User: N/A Computer: TBG-VMS Description: The end of crawl for project <ExchangeServer_TBG-VMS privD88B396F> has been detected. The Gatherer successfully processed 1 documents totaling 0K. It failed...

Data query drive error
After running a sql qeury in excel 2002, receive a message error with "\" character and the help info box stating "driver error". ...

Hard drive space running low
My hard drive is running out of space and I'm trying to delete whatever I can, however, I do not know if I can delete any of the following: Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for applications 2.0-ENU Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for applications 2.0- Runtime Modem Helper Modem on hold Picture gear 4.1 Lite QuickStores Toolbar 1.0.0 Smart Sound Quicktracks for Premiere Elements 8.0 SoundMax Tru Switch Wizard for AT&T members Viewpoint Media Player Interactual Player and a funny one: Microsoft Office XP Professional, but I have the Home edition (????) Any help will be ...

compressed drive for exchange db and logs
Is it bad to have exchange databases and logs on a compressed NTFS drive? On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:35:51 -0700, "tony" <none@none.com> wrote: >Is it bad to have exchange databases and logs on a compressed NTFS drive? > Yes. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318116/en-us/ ...

Exchange 2003 full computer name doesn't match domain name.
I'm running a Windows 2000 SP4 DC network with a single Exchange 2003 SP2 server running on a Windows 2003 member server. For some reason the full computer name of the exchange server (exchange.wrongdomain.com) does not match our domain name (mydomain.local). We are having some weird issues (such as not able to create mailboxes at the same time as adding a new user) on our network which I think are related to this discrepancy. The only way I've found to solve this issue is to remove the server from the domain and re-add it. However, I don't know what affect this will have o...

Missing Activities in Outlook XP
Using the Activities tab, I often will review or search for email for a specific contact. Somewhere along the line, my Activities got lost or disconnected. I am only able to find a couple of email messages from contacts that I know I have dozens for. All my contacts exhibit the same deficit. I can find these missing messages by searching in the individual folders, so I know that they exist. This resembles a missing or broken index problem. Is there any way to re-index my message file? Any ideas of how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance, Christopher ...

Virtual drive
Hi, Dave I couldn't find any difference with either X: or x: in any combination within any test macro I have below. The resultant NUL/nul depends on the last statement used -- TestStr = Dir("X:\NUL") / TestStr = Dir("X:\nul") respectively. The drawback is they cannot be used in a unified way -- not even with <Application.Run "********">. It toggled on and off. Any comment will be appreciated. (My target cell : C:\R_D\[ABC.xls]sheet1!A1 with phrase "Virtual Drive Assignment Test" ) Sub auto_open() Dim TestStr As String TestStr =...

Deleting emails from the M drive
Greetings, We have some synchronization problems with some of our laptop users that have just switched to Outlook 2003. In looking at the differences in the number of items on the server and the number of items stored locally, in some cases there is a large discrepency. For example, in my Deleted Items folder locally I have a few hundred items, but in the server there is close to 100,000! Obviously this has been going on for some time. Anyway, I went to the server to look at the Deleted Items folder in the M drive, and sure enough, there is close to 100,000 items in there. So I tr...

xp locks up with great plains 6.0
Has anyone experiences great plains locking up with windows xp sp2. Everything else works except when I go to print the program locks up. when I first get into great plains I can print for a while. If I am on great plains for a while without printing. Then when I go to print it locks up. I then have to have someone boot me off the great plains system. This only occurs in Great Plains. Thanks, Francisco. I would check the list of compatiable printers for GP 6.0 and see if it is on the "black list". You may want to try to download the latest print driver as well if y...

SP3 xp failed to install catalog files during update
i have a fresh install of xp home with linksys wireless drivers, nvidia drivers, avg free and essential ms updates installed up to service pack 3 and nothing else installed. it downloaded the sp3 and started the install procedure the progress bar makes it to about a 3rd of the way through then gives me a message that it failed to install catalogue files there is no error code that went with the message. has anybody seen this happen yet? is there anything i can do? NOTE: *** IF Internet Explorer 7 or 8 are installed, UNinstall it now before applying SP3. Reinstall it afterwards...

importing personal settings after reformatting hard drive
I reformatted my hard driva and re-installed Outlook 2003. I imported all folders in my old .pst file, but cannot import my toolbar settings, rules, custom contact forms etc. Can someone help? Spiv Spiv, The *.pst only includes Personal Folder data (any emails or folders you had in your personal folder). You would have had to use the Office "Save My Settings" wizard prior to reformatting your hard drive. "Spiv" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1099801c44023$36f18f10$a001280a@phx.gbl... >I reformatted my hard driva and re-installe...

Outlook 2002 not saving password in XP Home
Hello, I am having great trouble saving a password for my POP3 account. The Microsoft resolution does not apply to XP as there is no Protected Storage settings under Microsoft. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards, Anna For all Outlook versions on Windows XP see if this helps (just ignore the parts that refer to Outlook Express): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q264672 "Anna Fogarty" <Anna@webandflo.com> wrote in message news:070e01c3aa7c$38c33650$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > I am having great trouble saving a password for...

when writing out a file from .net, when is the file created? after the bytes are all written to the hard drive or before the bytes are written to the hard drive?
when writing out a file from .net, when is the file created? after the bytes are all written to the hard drive or before the bytes are written to the hard drive? ...

Outlook 2002 Windows XP From Field
Hi. I need some help please. I recently had my PC at work upgraded to Windows XP with Outlook 2002. I send emails from different accounts and when sending an email I need to have the FROM field showing above the TO field. I've looked through all the options on the send mail and from the main screen but do not see this as an option. It was an option under the View menu in Windows 2000 Outlook 2000. Please advise. Meteor :-) Nevermind, I answered my own question. For those that are wondering about this too . . . . from the toolbar that includes the send button, click on the...

dead hard drive or is it video?
I turned of my computeras usual, but when I went to turn it on again, only the fans came on. I can feel activity in the hard drive and it seems to click on and then off...no signal imput to my screen. Can I use it on my friends computer as a secondary hd to try to retrieve my data? I think your hard drive is dead, try to buy a new one and it'll help you. -Toi "ManyFaces_4" wrote: > I turned of my computeras usual, but when I went to turn it on again, > only the fans came on. I can feel activity in the hard drive and it seems to > click > on and then off...no s...

Excel save to network drive issue
I have found several articles out at Microsoft related to this issue but I am having a very difficult time finding a solution. Here is the error in full that the user gets: Your changes could not be saved to 'name of the file', but were saved to a temporary document named '95430000'. Close the existing document, then open the temporary documetn and save it under a new name. Microsoft articles: 214032, 291070, 291204, 271513 User is saving to a "home directory" that is configured in his NT profile. Microsoft states to check the file permissions. This user ...

How to clone failed hard drive to replacement hard drive
Looks like my current hard drive has failed as when I try to boot, the load page does not show the hard drive or the dvd/cd drive and hangs on that page. I had previous problems in trying to boot Windows and the only way to get past that problem was to boot from the installation disc and do a repair install. That got the computer booting OK. I did a scan of the hard drive and there were a few errors that could not be fixed and subsequently have got to the stage that looks like there is a hard drive failure. This hard drive does still sound OK, no noises coming from it. Is ...

Need to redownload/install after hard drive crash
My hard drive crashed and I'm in the process of reinstalling/rebuilding everything, however I don't have a saved copy of Money Premium that I purchased. I still have my emailed receipt and can provide proof of purchase. How do I download my registered copy again? Depends on the version, but if you bought the downloaded version of 2005 or 2006 see http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/132.aspx -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://money.mvps.org/faq/default.aspx for tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your product wishes see http://mo...

outlook xp #3
I have outlook xp with one contacts list. In the contacts list I have some contacts with email and some contacts without email. How can I separate one list from another? i.e. I want to have 2 lists one with email and one without email thanks, amc2 ...

Report Manager 2003; Windows XP
Is there a Report Manager download for Excel 2003, using Windows XP. Previous posts contain a link to the Microsoft Web Site, but tha download does not appear to work with Windows XP -- Chris ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Chrisp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=636 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=51062 Hi Chrisp See this KB http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873209 -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Chrisp" <Chrisp...

Won't Initialize External Hard Drive
I am having problems getting Vista to recognize my Western Digital My Book hard drives (both a 500 GB and a 1 TB drive). When I plug the USB cable in it goes through the installing drivers and says it installed and the device is ready to use. However My Computer doesn't show the drive. Disk Manager tells me the drive needs to be initialized but when I try to initialize the drive I get one of two error messages the first says "Incorrect Function". I then tried using System Restore to reset the computer to before the last Windows Update since the drives worked fine in...

Hard Drive full
I've noticed 2 of our locations have run out of disk space. Each computer has an 80 GB HD. I looked around and found that the log_.ldf is over 20 GB and keeps growing by about 1 GB per day!!! How is this possible and how can I reduce the size of this file? How can this be prevented in the future? -- Joe Joe, The easiest thing to do is download and install SQL Management Studio Express from Microsoft.com (if not already installed). Then use this tool to connect to the database. If you right-click on the database and click Properties. Click on the Options section and cha...