File Name Length

Does anyone know if filenames can be longer than 31 characters in Office
2004?  Thanks.

In article <19bee01c41cec$47393e90$a401280a@phx.gbl>,
 "JM" <doubledawg9498@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if filenames can be longer than 31 characters in Office
> 2004?  Thanks.

FIrst, you *can* have filenames longer than 31 characters in Office v.X
already - you just can't generate them. While v.X apps display a hash at
the end of a long filename, it keeps the filename intact when you save.

MS hasn't announced anything regarding long file names in 2004 yet, so
anyone who knows is not supposed to say, one way or the other. Anybody
who says, either doesn't know, or is breaking their NDA.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/9/2004 2:21:12 AM
Of anything that O'2004 might have, this is the first one they should
have tackled.  As someone said elsewhere, it is the most annoying
thing I encounter on a daily basis using my Mac and the most vexing
when you want to stay compatible with Windows colleagues and clients.

0
anonymous (74722)
4/25/2004 11:06:54 PM
In article <3f4001c42b1a$00454420$a601280a@phx.gbl>,
 "Pehr Jansson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Of anything that O'2004 might have, this is the first one they should
> have tackled.  As someone said elsewhere, it is the most annoying
> thing I encounter on a daily basis using my Mac and the most vexing
> when you want to stay compatible with Windows colleagues and clients.

Well, it's moderately high on my list, too, but certainly not the most
vexing problem. Very few of my clients use longer than 31 characters,
and those that do can't find the long file names on their own machine
half the time. Unicode's definitely higher on my list, I know a lot of
people want the Exchange features improved, and there are a few others.

That's why it's important to provide feedback to MacBU, so that they get
a feel for what a variety of people want.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/26/2004 2:46:04 AM
I agree 100% with how irritating this is - having just been working on
a slew of budget files in Excel which needed to be submitted back to
the powers-that-be with intact filenames (so they still linked to
their master documents) this really drives me up the wall. And just
day-to-day, 31 characters really isn't enough, especially with a file
extension. If Office 2004 fixes this, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I won't.
End of story.
0
rosmond (1)
5/16/2004 11:44:17 AM
On 5/16/04 4:44 AM, in article
f93493d0.0405160344.2a77587e@posting.google.com, "Richard Osmond"
<rosmond@mac.com> wrote:

> I agree 100% with how irritating this is - having just been working on
> a slew of budget files in Excel which needed to be submitted back to
> the powers-that-be with intact filenames (so they still linked to
> their master documents) this really drives me up the wall. And just
> day-to-day, 31 characters really isn't enough, especially with a file
> extension. If Office 2004 fixes this, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I won't.
> End of story.

Get your credit card ready.

--
Paul Berkowitz
MVP Entourage

Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
ignored.

PLEASE always state which version of Entourage you are using - **2004**, X
or 2001. It's often impossible to answer your questions otherwise.

0
berkowit (221)
5/16/2004 5:29:24 PM
 rosmond@mac.com (Richard Osmond) wrote:

> I agree 100% with how irritating this is - having just been working on
> a slew of budget files in Excel which needed to be submitted back to
> the powers-that-be with intact filenames (so they still linked to
> their master documents) this really drives me up the wall. And just
> day-to-day, 31 characters really isn't enough, especially with a file
> extension. If Office 2004 fixes this, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I won't.
> End of story.

I agree that the 31 character limit is very frustrating, especially with
Windows interoperability.

Long file names up to 255 characters are supported in Office 2004.

bill
--
William M. Smith
(Microsoft Interop MVP)

Extracting names from a database.
In column A I have twenty groups, in Column B ref#, In Column C First Name, In Column D Surname and In Column E the numerical value. The data rows are from 2 to 534. I can find the total and maximum for each group using arrays. 1. What I like is the name of who has the highest value in each group. 2. If they are tied then all the names that are tied maximum. 3. If possible all the names in the group with a value over 2. I hope that this makes sense. Hi try: 1. =INDEX(D2:D534,MATCH(MAX(E2:E534),E2:E534,0)) 2. Try the following array formula: =INDEX($D$2:$D$534,SMALL(IF($E$2:$E$534=MA...

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

Outlook 2003: Copy Full Names to email display Names
I recently upgraded to Outlook 2003 from 2000. I believe 2000 used to choose email addresses based on the Full Name field. 2003 appears to choose based on the Email Display name. Most of my email Display Names are just the email addresses. What is the easiest way to copy the Full Name to the email Display Name? What do you mean by "choose email addresses?" The Display Name has varied with each version of Outlook, but it is of no consequence. What makes you think it is? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "orbojeff" <jeff.callahan@orbograph.com> wrote in message new...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

%20 shows up in document name when doing a save as
I do alot of quotes that I pull up an old document, update with new info, then save as a new document name, leaving the old one as is. Sometimes when I go to save the new document as save as, the spaces in the name of the document are filled with the percentage symbol and 20, %20. Does anyone know how to fix this? ...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

Converting a file Money 2001 --> Money 2005 Help!!
Hi, I've downloaded the trial for Money 2005 Deluxe. I was previously using Money 2001 (standard). I get an error --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I've tried renaming the file and opening as someone suggested on the group somewhere which I couldn't get to work. So I downloaded the 2004 trial and converted it to 2004 which worked ok. I then tried to upgrade my new 2004 file to 2005 which failed again....

opening .wks files
Had created spreadsheets as .wks files on Windows ME. I'm unable to open these now that I've upgraded to XP and Office XP. I've tried to associate them with Excel but they will not open properly. How can I retreive these? Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/con...

File in Use
I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2 When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop up: File in Use money.xls is locked for editing by Bill Chatfield there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box read only notify cancel I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only' or 'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent reason I get the above message again. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this ...

Logical Name of Epson printer
Epson provides an Epson ADK for .NET using which we can provide a logical name to the Epson printers. I am printing to the Epson printers using OPOS divers and I have to install the Epson ADK for .NET just so that I can give the printer a logical name. This needs to be done on the client machine as well. The problem is that this ADK is not really meant to be redistributed and moreoever, it is a large installation which further requires that Microsoft Point Of Service be present on the system. This means installing 2 softwares just so that we can give the printer a logical name. Is there any ot...

Excel file saves as a temp file with numeric file name
I have a bug with an excel worksheet. When i save the file it saves it not as my filename, but as a temp file with a name like D7d98300 and the file icon is of the MS DOS variety. When i click on the file it opens up in excel. However when i save it again it saves as a temp file with a different numerical file name. Could someone please explain what the bug is? Thanks in anticipation. Michael --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ When you save a file, excel will save it as a temporary file (8 characters, no extension). Then if that save is successful, excel will delete the...

hidden tif files
I activated MDI for windows 7 and can now open mdi files; however, I can't see their icons, and I can't see .tif icons. I can only tell the files are there when I print a new .tif file and the existing file list appears during the 'save as' step. How do I see the icons/files? I have already done the "show hidden files" step. Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab, Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types." -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "GretaJo" <GretaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

restrict a user from opening a dbf file from excel?
how can i restrict a user from opening a dbf file from excel? and how can i restrict him from saving an excel file as DBF? thanks ...