Excel in Office for Mac 2008 features

I've had Excel crash numerous times the first day using it. THe Auto Save feature does not seem to be working. Each time it crashes it brings back the old saved spreadsheet with none of the changes. Auto Save is set to 10 minutes and sometimes it had been hours and still reverted back to the old saved sheet and not the updated autosaved one.
0
Foosh (17)

In article <ee8a70d.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, Foosh@officeformac.com
wrote:

> I've had Excel crash numerous times the first day using it. THe Auto Save
> feature does not seem to be working. Each time it crashes it brings back the
> old saved spreadsheet with none of the changes. Auto Save is set to 10
> minutes and sometimes it had been hours and still reverted back to the old
> saved sheet and not the updated autosaved one.

AutoRecover (not AutoSave - *that* feature hasn't been part of XL for a
couple of versions now) saves files in the

   ~:Documents:MIcrosoft User Data:Office 2008 AutoRecovery:

folder. These files are hidden, and their file names starts with "~ar"

Can you tell if these files are being created (set your AR time to 1
minute, then make a change in the workbook)?

If you're using Leopard, you can see hidden files if you navigate to the
folder above in Finder, type CMD-F, and choose FIle Visibility from the
Kind dropdown - if that's not an option, choose Other..., and check the
File Visiblilty checkbox - and set it to Invisible.

Alternatively, you can enter this command in the Terminal.app:

   ls -al ~/Documents/Microsoft\ User\ Data/Office\ 2008\ AutoRecovery/~*

and hit Return.

Do you see the AR file? Does it update when it should (note that if you
don't change anything in the workbook, AR will not save the file.

Note that, unlike AutoSave, AutoRecover files are deleted whenever XL
closes normally.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
1/25/2008 3:38:13 PM
Why then does it have the option to AutoRecover under Save in the Excel Preferences menu?????<br>
When I used Excel in Office 2004 and it crashed, I would get the recovered file when I re-started Excel. I could then re-name it and replace the saved version. Now I am getting the recovered file but it does not have the saved work up to that point, only the work from the previous save, which means the Auto Recover is not doing what it normally does in Excel and Word from Office 2004 and previous versions.
0
Foosh (17)
1/25/2008 4:17:58 PM
wrote:

> Why then does it have the option to AutoRecover under Save in the Excel
> Preferences menu?????

Because it has to go somewhere?

Regardless, AutoRecover is not the same as the old AutoSave feature.

> When I used Excel in Office 2004 and it crashed, I would get the recovered
> file when I re-started Excel. I could then re-name it and replace the saved
> version.

And that's exactly what *should* happen with XL08's AutoRecover, and
it's exactly what *does* happen on my computers when I force XL08 to
crash.

> Now I am getting the recovered file but it does not have the saved
> work up to that point, only the work from the previous save, which
> means the Auto Recover is not doing what it normally does in Excel
> and Word from Office 2004 and previous versions.

That's why I asked the questions that you didn't answer - to try to
diagnose why this isn't happening on *your* system...
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
1/25/2008 4:33:56 PM
I find that when I am in the process of typing in Excel and the AutoRecover save begins, Excel will ALWAYS crash after the AutoRecover save completes and whatever AutoRecover files have been saved will NOT show up when Excel re-starts. If I work on an Excel worksheet and then, without saving, come back hours later and begin work again and the AutoRecover save begins, Excel will crash and the saved work will be lost back to the previous save. The AutoRecover feature will NOT work. In Office 2004 for Mac the AutoRecover feature always preserved the work done and would not crash if I was working when the AutoReover save was in progress.
0
Foosh (17)
2/3/2008 5:18:54 PM
In article <ee8a70d.3@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, Foosh@officeformac.com
wrote:

> I find that when I am in the process of typing in Excel and the AutoRecover
> save begins, Excel will ALWAYS crash after the AutoRecover save completes and
> whatever AutoRecover files have been saved will NOT show up when Excel
> re-starts. If I work on an Excel worksheet and then, without saving, come
> back hours later and begin work again and the AutoRecover save begins, Excel
> will crash and the saved work will be lost back to the previous save. The
> AutoRecover feature will NOT work. In Office 2004 for Mac the AutoRecover
> feature always preserved the work done and would not crash if I was working
> when the AutoReover save was in progress.

Hmm.. something very bizarre is happening with your copy of XL.
AutoRecover by design doesn't fire while you're in the process of
entering data. It should wait until you've completed an entry.

Does this happen in a different user account?

Do you have a folder in your Microsoft User Data (MUD) named Office 2008
Autorecovery?

Do a find (in Finder) on the MUD folder for invisible files starting
with "~ar" (no quotes). Are any there?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
2/4/2008 4:51:04 AM
On Jan 25, 10:33=A0pm, Fo...@officeformac.com wrote:
> I've hadExcelcrash numerous times the first day using it. THe Auto Save fe=
ature does not seem to be working. Each time it crashes it brings back the o=
ld saved spreadsheet with none of the changes. Auto Save is set to 10 minute=
s and sometimes it had been hours and still reverted back to the old saved s=
heet and not the updated autosaved one.

Hi,

Is your excel file corrupt? If so, I think you can try a popular Excel
file recovery tool called Advanced Excel Repair to repair your Excel
file. It is a powerful tool to repair corrupt or damaged Excel files.

Detailed information about Advanced Excel Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/aer/

And you can also download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/ae=
r/aer.exe

Hope this will help.

Alan
0
fyz (26)
3/16/2008 2:07:26 PM
As you've been advised previously you're hawking your product in an
environment where it *can't* be used natively. If you ever develop a
Macintosh version please let us know.

In the meanwhile you are falsely as well as knowingly directing people to a
non-solution - a behavior which is both arrogant & deceptive.

--
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/16/08 10:07 AM, in article
c9d8a8cb-0033-42de-8b9e-115cb8305899@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com, "Alan"
<fyz@datanumen.net> wrote:

> On Jan 25, 10:33�pm, Fo...@officeformac.com wrote:
>> I've hadExcelcrash numerous times the first day using it. THe Auto Save
>> feature does not seem to be working. Each time it crashes it brings back the
>> old saved spreadsheet with none of the changes. Auto Save is set to 10
>> minutes and sometimes it had been hours and still reverted back to the old
>> saved sheet and not the updated autosaved one.
>
> Hi,
>
> Is your excel file corrupt? If so, I think you can try a popular Excel
> file recovery tool called Advanced Excel Repair to repair your Excel
> file. It is a powerful tool to repair corrupt or damaged Excel files.
>
> Detailed information about Advanced Excel Repair can be found at
> http://www.datanumen.com/aer/
>
> And you can also download a free demo version at
> http://www.datanumen.com/aer/aer.exe
>
> Hope this will help.
>
> Alan

> On Jan 25, 10:33 pm, Fo...@officeformac.com wrote:
> &gt; I've hadExcelcrash numerous times the first day using it. THe Auto Save feature does not seem to be working. Each time it crashes it brings back the old saved spreadsheet with none of the changes. Auto Save is set to 10 minutes and sometimes it had been hours and still reverted back to the old saved sheet and not the updated autosaved one.
>
> Hi,
>
> Is your excel file corrupt? If so, I think you can try a popular Excel
> file recovery tool called Advanced Excel Repair to repair your Excel
> file. It is a powerful tool to repair corrupt or damaged Excel files.
>
> Detailed information about Advanced Excel Repair can be found at
> <http://www.datanumen.com/aer/>
>
> And you can also download a free demo version at <http://www.datanumen.com/aer/aer.exe>
>
> Hope this will help.
>
> Alan

I am using Excel in Office 2008 for Mac! This is not available for Macs!!!
0
Foosh (17)
3/18/2008 5:21:41 PM
Yeah, we know, and he doesn't give a toss.

He's a nasty little spammer who is trying to rip people off.

Sadly, we have a problem getting these out from the website.  We have an
automatic Spaminator that knocks them out from the news servers, but we have
yet to acquire such a mechanism for the web server :-)

Cheers

On 19/3/08 2:51 AM, in article ee8a70d.18@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Foosh@officeformac.com" <Foosh@officeformac.com> wrote:

>> On Jan 25, 10:33 pm, Fo...@officeformac.com wrote:
>> &gt; I've hadExcelcrash numerous times the first day using it. THe Auto Save
>> feature does not seem to be working. Each time it crashes it brings back the
>> old saved spreadsheet with none of the changes. Auto Save is set to 10
>> minutes and sometimes it had been hours and still reverted back to the old
>> saved sheet and not the updated autosaved one.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is your excel file corrupt? If so, I think you can try a popular Excel
>> file recovery tool called Advanced Excel Repair to repair your Excel
>> file. It is a powerful tool to repair corrupt or damaged Excel files.
>>
>> Detailed information about Advanced Excel Repair can be found at
>> <http://www.datanumen.com/aer/>
>>
>> And you can also download a free demo version at
>> <http://www.datanumen.com/aer/aer.exe>
>>
>> Hope this will help.
>>
>> Alan
>>
> I am using Excel in Office 2008 for Mac! This is not available for Macs!!!

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia.  S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)

Printing an Excel doucument

Windows Update

excel axes

Excel program

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Error Message When opening Excel

Excel number / date conversion

Email from Excel #3

version excel

double line spacing using excel 2000

Excel 95 to Excel 2003
Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If so, how. Thanks in advance Open the file in 2003 and SAVE as you would a file created in 2003. If not absolutely positive, save as a different name. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Cooper" <kcooper2@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:uqLpEuG4EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If > so, how. > > Thanks in advance > > Open in XL 2003, when you close it, it should, ask you if you w...

Conversion Excel 97 to Excel 2003
Hi There, I would like to convert Excel 97 files to excel 2003 I m using Save AS, but little bit confuse what type I have to choose "Microsoft Office Excel workbood (*.xls)" or "Microsoft Excel 97 - Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 workbook (*.xls)". We will not use Office 97 anymore next few weeks. Thank for your prompt response. Wayne You shouldn't have to do anything. If you feel the need, just save as microsoft excel workbook.xls -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8286...

Inner Borders in Excel 2007
Before in pre-Excel 2007 world, I used to be able to select a range of cells, click on a button to get vertical or horizontal boarders for the range selected. In Excel 2007 I can only apply outer boarders. Was this feature removed? I now have go to "format cells", then select the "borders" tab to do the same. Where did the buttons for inner vertical/horizontal boarders go? Thanks. louishong - Home ribbon > (Font group) drop down between Underline and Fill Color - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com <louishong@lycos.com> wrote in message...

Convert excel to java
Hi does anybody know a way to convert an XL spreadhseet (with charts) to a fully interactive Java object?? I have tried exceleverywhere and xlsius, but no luck! Thanks in advance -- shnim1 ...

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

How do I import Excel into Microsoft Money
#1 - This question is more likely to get an answer in the Money newsgroup than here #2 - Place your question in the body of the message, with a little more explanation of what you want to accomplish "Tax Help" wrote: > You can't do it directly. The only formats that Money can import are QIF and OFX. Go to Google and search for excel money import qif to get multiple hits including macros and/or commercial solutions. One the I found is http://www.bigredconsulting.com/AboutXLQIFConverter.htm Their program is $39. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:03 -0800, "Tax H...

Entering hour minute only 'now' in Excel (without day/date)
How to change Time now function to give only Hour/minute time 'now' in Excel Hi just format the cell with the custom format hh:mm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:7A1AFC42-791F-4397-94F2-91DE0ADB34D7@microsoft.com... > How to change Time now function to give only Hour/minute time 'now' in > Excel ...

Excel to Excel Automation
Could someone please explain the best process for taking data that has been typed into certain cells in spreadsheet and sending this information to another spreadsheet, in a different location.. Is this possible thorough VBA. Thanks for any advice.. Larry Bargers -- lbargers ------------------------------------------------------------------------ lbargers's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32798 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=526211 You are really better off using the destination to pull the info from the ...

Share of Excel in the market
Does anyone know the number of the share of Excel in the market today ? I want to write its number down on my report, which I've been composing , but I couldn't find it. Would you please tell me how much the share of Excel is ? I hope you would help me and also if you don't mind, please tell me URL or something where you found the information. Hope to hear from you. This may help.......... http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/index.htm Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "keatonbus@gmail.com" wrote: > Does anyone know the number of the share of Excel in the market today ?...