equations

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: intel

Math equations are not displaying correctly. If I open on my son's PC (Word 2007) they come up fine.
0
Nora3161 (4)

We need a bit more detail to be sure, but I think that's a known bug that
should be fixed in the Service Release that is due soon.

On 5/05/08 6:42 AM, in article ee9a836.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Nora@officeformac.com" <Nora@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
> Processor: intel
>
> Math equations are not displaying correctly. If I open on my son's PC (Word
> 2007) they come up fine.

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Sydney, Australia.   mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)

equation editor
I just installed Office mac 2004 student teacher edition on my brand new MacBook. I can't seem to use equation editor. Since I am a math teacher, that sucks - to say the least! Error message says somethng like - make sure it has been installed, or maybe it has been renamed etc. All I did was install. Short of using my 2nd product key to fix the problem what can I check. Find brings up no info on equation editor. I don't think Eq Ed is automatically installed with a standard installation of Office 2004 - it needs to be included in a custom install or added later. You can install it no...

2 variables in 2 quadratic equations in excel
Dear ms excel user/programmers: I hope this question is not repeated before. But anyway highly appreciate anyone can tell me how (or hint) to use ms excell and/or visual c/c++, basic, or octave(emulate matlab) to solve: (12-x)^2 + y^2 =15^2, (16+y)^2+x^2=25^2 (by programming or using its built in function)? that ^2 mean square. looking to any excel user, mathmatician, and/or programmer's help, eric, fsshl@yahoo.com Hi Eric The brute force way (requiring the least mathematical analysis) is to calculate the left hand side as functions of two reasonable first guess x and y inputs...

Trendline equation not giving correct results
I was trying to form a trendline with following data : Y X 1.128 -20 1.128 -15 1.128 -10 1.128 -6 1.111 -5 1.084 0 1.056 5 1.0276 10 1 15 0.971 20 0.944 25 0.9144 30 0.884 35 0.8524 40 0.82 45 0.788 50 After plotting the chart, I added trendline (Polynominal with order 6) alongwith its equation which read as below : y = 6E-07x6 - 3E-05x5 + 0.0006x4 - 0.0057x3 + 0.0215x2 - 0.0318x + 1.1429 and R2 = 0.9998 The trendline in the chart neatly fitted over the curve. However, when I used above equation and fed in same values of X as shown above the computed results are entirley different fro...

Linear trendline:wrong equation
Hi, I created a bar chart in Excel from the following data: X Y 73 6.6 78 5.7 86 4.8 The SLOPE and the INTERCEPT functions returned -0.136 and 16.4448 respectively. The resulting equation is Y = -0.136X + 16.448 which seems good enough to me. Then I added a linear trendline to the chart. Excel displayed the following equation: Y = -0.9X + 7.5, R ^2 =1 which is way off (and it's not a rounding problem)!!! The data seemed farly linear to me, how come Excel can't come up with the right equation??? Thanks Jan M. Use an "XY (Scatter)" chart. When you...

MS Word equation editor won't open when double-clicking on an equation
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I created a document (.docx) using the Office 2008 version of MS Word some time ago (2 months or so). Recently I wanted to correct an equation in that document and re-opened the document (on the same system and with the &quot;same&quot; copy of Word) and attempted to double-click the equation to edit it. Instead of the equation editor I get the &quot;Format Picture&quot; dialog box. In the interim I did install an update (I tend to try to stay up to date) and am at 12.2.4 (100205). <br><...

Set minimum values for equation results
Hi all, I've been searching the queries here and can't find an answer to what I'm hoping is a simple query . . . I want my equation to ensure that any minus values are returned as 0 but positive values should remain true. THis needs to be within the original equation as opposed to a separate equation doing a find and replace. Appreciate any answers (preferably by e-mail!). Jim. Try using IF(), for example: Put in C1: =IF((A1-B1)<0,0,A1-B1) which will return 0 if (A1-B1) results in a minus value with zero & positive values remaining true Hope the above helps. M...

Excel equations
I posted this before, but for some reason, it never showed up. I want to be able to take a list of months in a spreadsheet and add these months to an equation without having to type it out every time. Let me explain: I have a column of text ranging from January to Dec. I also have worksheets titled from Jan to Dec. I need to reference various cells in each of the spreadsheets in a summary spreadsheet, but each reference cell is the same for each month, i.e. always January!$A$1, February!$A$!, etc. Is there a way I can write an equation that will allow be to copy the months in the summar...

I am wondering if someone could help me solve this equation
A car wash makes $4000 profit on sunny days and loses $4000 on non-sunny days. Assuming independence, if it is sunny 75% of the days, (and, therefore NOT sunny 25% of the days) what is the expected (daily) profit (or loss) for the car wash? (MEAN = EXPECTED VALUE) Let me know via email or can you please forward me to someone who can help me with this formula? Thank you. "Miles" wrote: > A car wash makes $4000 profit on sunny days and loses $4000 on > non-sunny days. Assuming independence, if it is sunny 75% of the > days, (and, therefore NOT sunny 25% of the days) what...

Equation Editor- problem when editing an equation
I use Equation Editor a great deal, and I constantly have the same problem. If I create an equation, and later go back to edit it, the font and spacing of the equation change. I try to resize the equation by enlarging or decreasing the size of the window, but all that I accomplish is either "bunching up" or "stretching" my equation. How do I get it back to what it looked like originally? ...

Install Equation Editor on Toolbar
Hello, I am having difficulty installing equation editor on my toolbar in Word. I can see it if I click on Insert and then Object and then go to equation editor, but how do I get it as an icon on my toolbar? Thank you. Not really a 64 bit OS related question, I would suggest reposting to one of the Word groups. -- -- "Laura C" <LauraC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61D34976-78A0-40A7-84C2-D0529432D107@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I am having difficulty installing equation editor on my toolbar in Word. > I > can...

Editing equation in rtf doc: "Word equation too large to convert"
I have an academic paper that I have written and need to share with my co-authors who use MS Word. I converted it from latex to rtf format. I can open the document in word 2007 and edit it, however, whenever I try to edit an equation I get a dialogue box with the error message “Word equation too large to convert". The contents of the equation get erased and I have close the equation editor and press Crtl-z to get the contents of the equation back. The problem occurs even with very simple equations, such as the fraction 1/2. I have searched the web and others seem to ha...

how to use today's date in a equation to caculate somebody's birth
If DOB is in A1, then =Today()-A1 should return the number of days. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Guyster" <Guyster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C36C64E-5777-4802-BB79-CEE3265DF320@microsoft.com... > ...

Letters in Equations
I'm trying to use Word 2007's built-in equation functionality, but often times when I try to type a letter in an equation (e.g. y=2x), the letters (so the y and the x) just show up as boxes. The only way it seems I can get it working is to copy and paste from a previous equation that worked with letters, clear out the irrelevant equation and type in the new one. However, I feel there MUST be a better way of doing this. Any help would be appreciated. The 'old' equation editor is included with Office 2007 and works just as before. It is not installed by default so...

UPC Equation #2
Okay so far i have figured out the sticky part of the equation. Steps 1-6..no problem. This is what i fgured out. Step One: Suppose you want to find the Check Digit for the UCC-12 (U.P.C.) Number 61414121022. Set up a table with 12 columns, and put the number 61414121022 into Positions One through Eleven. Position Twelve will be blank because it is reserved for the Check Digit. Step Two: Add the numbers in Positions One, Three, Five, Seven, Nine, and Eleven: Step Three: Multiply the result of Step Two by three: Step Four: Add the numbers in Positions Two, Four, Six, Eight, and Ten: Step...

About Equation Tool
To who are to be concerned, I am Chew Chit Siang, a student from TUNKU ABDUL RAHMAN COLLEGE from Malaysia. I am the last year student and doing my final year Computer Science and Statistic project right now. My fyp topic is EasyMath software that allow users to enter the equation and the software will calculate the answer for users and also included steps for getting answer. This sound interesting and makes me want to complete this project but I facing one problem that inserting mathematical equation like Equation Tool in MS Word 2007. So the purpose of my email is wanna to ask...

Equation: Fractions
Word 2007 Insert | Equation When I type a number divided by a fraction using the Stacked fraction and Small fraction templates on the Equation Ribbon, the Stacked fraction bar automatically resizes to fit making it difficult to easily differentiate between the two fraction bars. (Think: 3/2/3 written vertically. Is this 3 divided by 2/3 or 3/2 divided by 3?) Is there a way to prevent the resizing? I want the Stacked fraction bar to be noticeably longer than the Small fraction bar. I know I can use Linear or Skewed instead of the Small fraction but I don't want to. There i...

equations
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: intel Math equations are not displaying correctly. If I open on my son's PC (Word 2007) they come up fine. We need a bit more detail to be sure, but I think that's a known bug that should be fixed in the Service Release that is due soon. On 5/05/08 6:42 AM, in article ee9a836.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Nora@officeformac.com" <Nora@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) > Processor: intel > > Math equations are not displaying correctly. If I...

Change font of part of equation (Word 2007)
Hi group, In the equation editor: can I change the font for only a part of an equation? It seems that when I change the font for one part, the entire equation changes as well. Cheers -Ralf Assuming you use the new Word 2007 equations tool, you can select part of the equation (balancing could be an issue) and select 'Normal Text' from the Equations 'Design' tab and change the font size on the 'Home' tab. Yves "ralf.schaa" <ralf.schaa@gmail.com> wrote in message news:6cfffd34-73e4-46ff-94f6-5b39258d4ca1@v20g2000prb.googlegroups.com....

Trend line equation
How can I automatically capture the coefficients of a trend line equation from an excel chart, to use in other calculations? cturner08 - One approach is to use worksheet functions. See John Walkenbach's page at http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/tip/chart_trendline_formulas - Mike Middleton Web http://www.MikeMiddleton.com Email Mike@MikeMiddleton.com "cturner08" <cturner08@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5C54EBF-46D7-468F-85E9-D153E383A566@microsoft.com... > How can I automatically capture the coefficients of a trend line equation > from...

equation
How do I make an equation for one whole column, but differsfor each cell? For instance, row 3: C3+D2-G3 then row 4: C4+D3-G4. Hi! You'll need to ensure that "drag and drop is enabled" Tools > Options > Edit Check "Allow cell drag and drop" OK In row 3: =C3+D2-G3 Enter Select the cell you entered the formula in Point to the bottom right corner of the cell Left click and hold down the + drag handle Drag down as many rows as you want and release the left button. Each cell reference will increment by one for each row it is copied down. If you have data in all...

Calculate Equation
I am using the expression =[BodyMassIndex1]=[Weight1]/[Height1]/[Height1]*703 to calculate students' Body Mass Index in a form. I'm obviously typing it in wrong. I want the field called BodyMassIndex1 to automatically compute when the height is entered into the field called Height1 and the weight is entered into the field called Weight1. Is this even possible? Thanks for your help! On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:41:08 -0700, HMHD Manager <HMHDManager@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am using the expression =[BodyMassIndex1]=[Weight1]/[Height1]/[Height1]*703 >to calcu...

Math Equations
I am trying to place a 4x4 matrix within the brackets. I select the brackets, then being within the brackets, I go and select the 4x4 matrix and the brackets disappear. Others perform the same steps and the brackets remain - I am told to figure out what setting I have that is causing the problem - can you help? We can help, but we need to know what version of Word you're using. Also, if you're using Word 2007, which equation editor? (If you don't understand my question about "which equation editor", just tell us what steps you go through to begin creating t...

Displaying an equation
I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have equations in them. I want to have a cell that displays this equation with the answers that are calculated from these other cells displayed as values in the new equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Check out http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm#getformula In article <E4143E2B-360A-4B43-955F-73BF8EC60694@microsoft.com>, "hoising8" <hoising8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have > eq...

Trend Line
I have a chart with a trendline, with the equation for the trendline displayed in the chart. How can I either format the equation or reference thecomponents of the trendline elsewhere in the spreadsheet. The display says y = 27.894x - 1E+06 and I would like to be able to at least display the second number differently, and preferably be able to reference thetwo numbers separately elsewhere in the spreadsheet. Can this be done (I am using Excel 2000) Thank you Rich 80205 Hi Rich, Your equation is in the form y = mx + c where m = the gradient c = Y- Intercept Use the function SLOPE to re...

equating handles
hi, I have a problem in equating two HANDLE's. the code is if( (m_SocketManager1[i].m_hThread != cl.GetAt(p).h)) here "m_SocketManager1[i].m_hThread" is a HANDLE, "cl.GetAt(p).h" is a HANDLE now even though both the HANDLE's are same it goes in to the condition. I can see in the debugger that they both are equal. Any help on this is appreciated. Thank you try if( (m_SocketManager1[i].m_hThread) != (cl.GetAt(p).h)) >-----Original Message----- >hi, >I have a problem in equating two HANDLE's. >the code is >if( (m_SocketManager1[i].m_hThread !...