Entering password to open Excel file causes quit

When I open an important password-protected document in Excel
(Office.X), it causes Excel to shut down.  I tried opening in Neo
Office but since the file is password protected, Neo won't open it.
And I can't turn off the password without first opening in Excel,
right?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Brad

0
bgilmore (1)

In article <1171983688.247786.290740@t69g2000cwt.googlegroups.com>,
 bgilmore@mail.com wrote:

> When I open an important password-protected document in Excel
> (Office.X), it causes Excel to shut down.  I tried opening in Neo
> Office but since the file is password protected, Neo won't open it.
> And I can't turn off the password without first opening in Excel,
> right?

First, does XL shut down if you disable macros? If so, there may be some
auto macros causing problems.

Do you have any add-ins loaded that might be interfering? Try starting
XL with the shift key down to open it in factory default mode.

If neither of those suggestions help, do you have access to a Windows
machine with XL2003 or XL2007? They have more sophisticated error
handling/correction available.

If time is of the essence, there are commercial password removers that
may be able to help. I have a link here

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fileandvbapwords.html

that will remove passwords within 3 minutes for a fairly reasonable fee.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Why is Actual Work updated when entering time into Work Field?
We're using MS Project 2007 and seeing that sometimes when time is entered into the Work field for a task, that task's Actual Work is updated to the same value entered in the Work field. This happens to multiple resources, but only on some of their tasks and not on others. For example, for the weeks of 1/24 and 1/31, whatever hours I schedule (enter in the "work" cell in the Resource Usage View) for a given task also appears in the "actual" cell. The tasks are setup up differently. Some are Fixed Work, some are Fixed Duration. I believe all have the e...

Excel, horizontal scroll bar and sheets not accessable anymore
I'm using Excel 2000 on Windows XP. After several years use for book keeping the horizontal scroll bar and the numbered sheet tabs have disappeared. Once after re-starting the computer they reappeared but that no longer works. Under Tools, Options, the boxes for show scroll bar and sheets are ticked. Hi does this happen only for one single file or for all Excel files? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Cassandra wrote: > I'm using Excel 2000 on Windows XP. After several years use for book > keeping the horizontal scroll bar and the numbered sheet tabs have > disa...

Constant prompt for user name and password
I just switched from Outlook Express to Outlook when I got Office XP. The only problem that I am having is that I keep getting prompted for my user name and password every 3 minutes. I am using a LAN connection. I want to stay online constantly and not have to provide my password every time I want to send/receive email. Any suggestions? ...

import address to excel
Processor: Intel I want to import my yahoo mail contacts to an excel spread sheet so that I can print address labels. How do I do this? When I tried, I could only do csv file and this would not translate properly to excel. If it is a correct CSV file, Excel will open it straight up. Save it as an Excel workbook before you try to use it. To help you more, you need to tell us -- in great detail, what you are using and what you mean by "properly". We need the three digits of your software version for both Apple OS X and Excel, otherwise we can't help you. You get ...

ASP.NET & Excel Rpt
Hello there, We've currently got a reporting module built in VB6 that creates reports directly in MS Excel format by directly opening the excel application ,then creating line by line of data and charting, all with vb calls. This works well but of course required Excel to be installed on the machine. We're now going to turn this into a web application, and are hoping to simply change the interface and call all of the same code which will be placed in a DLL. My question is, does anyone know of any potential issues with installing MS Excel on an ASP web server? Is th...

To stop Excel from opening many workbooks at startup
Excel opens many workbooks on its own, whenever I invoke Excel for the first time. How can this be stopped, so that Excel opens with "Book1" Regards, -- Manager, International Private Banking, International Banking Group, ICICI Bank East Wing 8th floor South, ICICI Towers, Bandra Kurla Complex, Mumbai India 400051 You could have tons of files in your XLStart folder or you could be telling excel to open all the files in another folder. Tools|options|General Tab "at startup, open all files in:" <xl2002+ wording> "Alternate Startup File location" &...

OE removes access to certain types of files on e-mails
Grateful for anyone to tell me how I can set Outlook to NOT automatically remove certain types of files eg PDF, HTML, DAT files etc. Are they removing them or blocking them? See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm for ways to get the attachments off. For more information on the security features, see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm If you use OE, hit forward on a message or disable it in tools | options | security. On 25 Apr 2004 02:07, "Sam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Grateful for anyone to tell me how I can set Outlook ...

Excel 2003 spreadsheet. I enter the any number and it is entered.
If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 Thank you Mary Mary, Goto Tools>Options and on the Edit tab you should see The Fixed Decimal Places box checked. Uncheck it. -- HTH RP "maryu" <maryu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65C0E0FB-43F3-4F34-8A86-FBA3F02EC9B1@microsoft.com... > If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if > I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 > Thank you > Mary ...

Open a Form at a Specific Time
I would like to open a form at a specific time of the day, everyday. Please help? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Scheduled Tasks should do what you want. Steps 1. Open Control Panel 2. Look for Scheduled Tasks and double click it. 3. Click Add Scheduled Task then follow the wizard hope that helps User wrote: >I would like to open a form at a specific time of the day, everyday. > >Please help? -- spread the WORD Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/201001/1 I'm sor...

Display Worksheet in Excel File
I want to Display the worksheet name on the Excel Spreadsheet itself. ie. On Worksheet1, Cell A1 = Worksheet1 How do I do this without having C:\Desktop\Book1.xls\Worksheet1?? "Rowf" <Rowf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D5E8504E-FE17-4DBF-B7C8-DD65C102383B@microsoft.com... > I want to Display the worksheet name on the Excel Spreadsheet itself. > > ie. On Worksheet1, Cell A1 = Worksheet1 > > How do I do this without having C:\Desktop\Book1.xls\Worksheet1?? You have to make a User Defined Function. Start the Visual Basic Editor, insert a new ...

Excel 2003 - VBA
Hi Guys: I'm drawing a blank and need some help. I have a table with row 3 containing sheet names (currently pointing at 106 sheets). In rows 4-250 I want to put formulas that will look for something (located in Column B) in each of the sheets named in row 3. The first cell in the target sheet contains the last row with valid data. Example: Cell "D3" = P02-05 Cell "B5" = 123456789IBM In cell "D5" I want to generate a formula that will look in sheet P02-05, search for the contents of "B5" throughout the sheet and return the Value in colum...

Archiving Money Files #2
Hi all, Whenever I decide to archive old Money data, the process removes the correct dates, transactions, etc. from the main file... But the archived file contains all of the newer transactions as well. I thought an archived file only contained old transactions? EXAMPLE: I just archived the year 2005 from my main file. The main file now shows only transactions dated from 1-1-2006 to now. The archived file contains transactions dated from 1-1-2005 to now. Is this the way Money (I am using Mny 2004) works? In microsoft.public.money, rustyfender04 wrote: > >Whenever I decide ...

Filter records by date in subform by date entered in mainform.
Hello, I've spent 3 days trying to understand what I'm doing wrong.....Here is the summary of my problem. I have a form named 'frm_EfficiencyStats' and a subform within the form named 'qry_Total hours subform' (the subform is based on a query). The form contains a text box (for date) which is bound to a table 'tbl_EfficiencyStats'. I would like to be able to enter a date in the text box on my form, and display the records in the subform based on the date I entered in the text box. The subform will only pull records from my table based on the date. Here are th...

Shorter password
Hello experts, I'm setting up online services in my MS Money 2004 for a financial institute. That institute requires to have 6 digit password ..nothing more nothing less. MS Money requires to have atleast 8 digit/character password... I'm in limbo as to how to get around this limitation... Can someone come across this? if how you managed to get around it.. Is there way in Money to work around limitation... My financial institue would not allow me to have more than 6 digit password for next couple of years... I can't leave this institute as I work for them.. -Mak Are you sure t...

Error upon opening any word document or clicking on the help

How do I keep the Task Pane open?
How do I keep the Task Pane from closing everytime I open another document? I edit multiple documents back to back, and this is very handy to always have the task pane visible, and just click on my next document, or more documents in the task pane. Somehow in Offie XP it was staying open, but I can not get it to stay open in 2003. Any help?? I am replying to myself wondering how long it takes for someone to see these threads. Or do I have to keep it fresh and on the first page for it to get adressed? Just curious.. Eon "Eon" wrote: > How do I keep the Task Pane from cl...

Excel Worksheet Change Event in a nick of time
1. Enter an Excel worksheet ; To Define Name > "TagNumber" > ReferTo := D2. 2. Intention ; After TagNumber is updated (in a Change Event), the focus would move to the adjacent cell to the right, Offset(0,1). 3. And therefore, the event procedure is devised as follows ;- Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If ActiveCell.Address = Range("TagNumber").Address Then Range("TagNumber").Offset(0, 1).Activate End If End Sub 4. However, at run-time ; As soon as Tagnumber is activated, the focus shifts to the adjacent cell to the right alrea...

Networkdays in Excel 2000
I just got a new computer at work with Excel 2000 installed. However the networkday function isn't in the list of functions and now m formulas don't work. Has this happened with anyone else -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com It is included in the analysis toolpack addin. Go to the Tools Menu an select Add Ins. Then check Analysis toolpack and hit OK. It should no work. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Beautiful!!! Thanks much stay_c http://raspberry-latte.blogspot.co -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

how to enter simple list and sum
using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative numbers and then create a cell with the sum of these values? if the list would look like this 0.58 -1.22 1.79 -0.56 -0.92 the output would look something like 0.58 0.58 -1.22 -0.64 1.79 1.15 -0.56 0.59 -0.92 -0.33 John In B1 enter =A1 In B2 enter =B1+A2 Copy down to B5 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 16 May 2007 06:34:13 +0300, "John" <johnj@multipl.es> wrote: >using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system >how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative...

Has your password stop working and can't login into MS Money?
"the sign in name you just entered is not associated with this file. Please correct sign in or open another file" This is the error message I get - I have unchecked the .net passport features - and I still can not access my money file? Anyone have a solution or reason why this just start happening to several people TODAY?? Please advise..or post here if you are having problems to let Microsoft know. Thanks.... Chris I have the same problem, It happenned to me 1 hour ago. I tried to enter my money file with the Passport Sign-In and it show me an error message, then i used ...

I keep getting dialog box is open error in Word 2003.
Everytime I go into MS Word I get an error that says my dialog box is open. I have to click ok then I can go in. How can I get rid of this error? Disable the Office Plug-in option in Norton Antivirus (or other AV that you may be using). -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Tracey F" <Tracey F@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01911FF2-10AB-43A6-9BBB-4E630A886D38@microsoft.com... > Everytime I go into MS Word I get an error that says my dialog box is > open. > I have to click ok then I can go in. How can I get rid of this error? ...

excel won't open file
I have a customer who has office 2000 and has done all the updates. when he clicks on a file .xls excel opens but the file does not. no blank document just excel but empty. any help???? Please??? From a previous post: === my first question is: Are you sure the workbook is open? Try window|Arrange|tiled If it shows up, resize by hand and save the workbook. If it didn't show up, Try window|unhide if it appears then, save the workbook. If it really wasn't open, but you can open it via File|Open, Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Star...

Resource Units for Tasks entered in PWA differs than tasks entered in Project 2007
Hello, I have an ePM user asking why if he enters a project task in PWA does it not check the resource max units allocation the same way as when he enters a task in Project Professional. For example: You have a project where resource A is 50% allocated. When you create a task in Project Professional for this resource, the resource allocation is set to 50%. Create a task under the same project in PWA, submit and approve the task. Open project professional and view the task information for the task entered in PWA, why is the resource allocation set to 100% instead of 50% set for th...

Open Excel worksheet within PP slide
I am trying to create a slide in a PowerPoint presentation fo management featuring a stationary Excel graph and a frame within th same slide displaying the actual Excel data set that can be scrolle through in that frame. Does anyone know what VBA code I could use t display a worksheet data set in the slide itself? There is a lot o data, necessitating the need for a scroll bar in the frame. Linking th Excel data into the slide by conventional methods will not work becaus there is so much data it would not fit on the slide. I just need small frame above the graph in which the Excel data can be...

autofilled on excel
How do you get autofill to work. I'm following the directions and nothing is happening!!! Hi Susan, What is in the initial cell< and are you filling down or across? Regards - Dave. Oops, ignore the < thingie. ...