Duplex printing in Word 2004 and Leopard

I bought a new iMac with Leopard installed. Although not computer savy, I then installed a new HP LaserJet P2015d &amp; Office:mac 2004 (student &amp; teacher edition).<br>
When I want to print via Safari or Firefox, I'm given the option to print 'two-sided'. However, in Word, this option does not appear in the print popup box.<br>
Does anyone know why? Is there a way to remedy this situation?<br>
Thank you.<br>
HMB
0
HMB1 (9)

It's in a strange place...

When you go to File>Print...  There are three drop-down boxes in the dialog
that appears.

You need to change the third one (the unlabelled one...) to "Two sided
printing".

This is an idiosyncrasy of the Apple printing mechanism.  Office
applications never "print" anything, they just hand the file off to the
operating system.  The dialog you see is generated by Mac OS X.

Hope this helps

On 4/02/08 7:40 AM, in article ee8becf.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"HMB@officeformac.com" <HMB@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I bought a new iMac with Leopard installed. Although not computer savy, I then
> installed a new HP LaserJet P2015d & Office:mac 2004 (student & teacher
> edition).
> When I want to print via Safari or Firefox, I'm given the option to print
> 'two-sided'. However, in Word, this option does not appear in the print popup
> box.
> Does anyone know why? Is there a way to remedy this situation?
> Thank you.
> HMB

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Nhulunbuy, Northern Territory, Australia
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
2/4/2008 10:51:16 AM
Thank you John McGhie for your prompt reply.<br>
The problem hasn't been solved.<br>
When I go to File&gt;Print, there is no unlabelled drop-down box.<br>
On the top I see Printer (HP ....), Presets (standard), Copies &amp; pages. I can then set the number of copies I want, can opt to collate, &amp;<br>
then choose which pages I want to print. (My old HP allowed me to check off even or odd pages &amp; choose print quality; these options aren't given either). On the bottom, I can choose PDF, Preview, Cancel or Print. I don't see any unlabelled box.<br>
Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something?<br>
Thank you.<br>
HMB
0
HMB1 (9)
2/6/2008 2:09:31 AM
The box in which "Copies and Pages" appears has no label.  That's the one I
mean.

Drop it down, and choose "Two sided printing" from the resulting list.

The problem has not been solved, because there is no problem :-)  That's the
way they designed it at Apple, we gotta love it :-)

On 6/02/08 11:39 AM, in article ee8becf.1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"HMB@officeformac.com" <HMB@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thank you John McGhie for your prompt reply.
> The problem hasn't been solved.
> When I go to File>Print, there is no unlabelled drop-down box.
> On the top I see Printer (HP ....), Presets (standard), Copies & pages. I can
> then set the number of copies I want, can opt to collate, &
> then choose which pages I want to print. (My old HP allowed me to check off
> even or odd pages & choose print quality; these options aren't given either).
> On the bottom, I can choose PDF, Preview, Cancel or Print. I don't see any
> unlabelled box.
> Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something?
> Thank you.
> HMB

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Nhulunbuy, Northern Territory, Australia
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
2/9/2008 1:35:27 AM
Sorry I misinterpreted your original message. I clicked 'Copies and Pages', 'Layout' &amp; then found 'Two-sided Printing'. I also found several other options I was looking for (print quality &amp; even/odd page options).<br>
Thank you for your patience. (I've used a PC &amp; Word Perfect for MANY years &amp; am now getting used to Mac &amp; Word.)<br>
HMB
0
HMB1 (9)
2/9/2008 3:32:24 AM
I did this, I went to printing and selected two-sided printing. But it still
printed single pages. What do I do? I went to HP's website and downloaded all
the new software and still nothing. I bought this printer for the two-sided
capabilities, and I can't print two-sided. How do I make word work with this
option?

"John McGhie" wrote:

> It's in a strange place...
>
> When you go to File>Print...  There are three drop-down boxes in the dialog
> that appears.
>
> You need to change the third one (the unlabelled one...) to "Two sided
> printing".
>
> This is an idiosyncrasy of the Apple printing mechanism.  Office
> applications never "print" anything, they just hand the file off to the
> operating system.  The dialog you see is generated by Mac OS X.
>
> Hope this helps
>

> On 4/02/08 7:40 AM, in article ee8becf.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
> "HMB@officeformac.com" <HMB@officeformac.com> wrote:
>
> > I bought a new iMac with Leopard installed. Although not computer savy, I then
> > installed a new HP LaserJet P2015d & Office:mac 2004 (student & teacher
> > edition).
> > When I want to print via Safari or Firefox, I'm given the option to print
> > 'two-sided'. However, in Word, this option does not appear in the print popup
> > box.
> > Does anyone know why? Is there a way to remedy this situation?
> > Thank you.
> > HMB
>
> --
> Don't wait for your answer, click here: http://www.word.mvps.org/
>
> Please reply in the group.  Please do NOT email me unless I ask you to.
>
> John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
> http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
> Nhulunbuy, Northern Territory, Australia
> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
Young (20)
2/18/2008 2:41:00 AM
Hi Analee:

How are you producing "new pages" in the document?  It is possible to
produce this condition if you have inserted Section Breaks to force page
breaks.

As a test, make a copy of the document, then remove ALL the section breaks
from it.

1)  Create a new blank document

2)  Carefully select all of the text in the bad document EXCEPT the last
paragraph mark

3)  Copy it.

4)  Paste in the new document.

5)  Save under a new file name and close all, then re-open.

Try that: it will make quite sure the problem is not corrupted section
breaks (I don't think it is, but you never know...)

Other than this, I don't have an answer for you: but have you spoken to HP
support?

I found them both helpful and knowledgeable when I had issues getting an HP
Printer to work with Mac OS X.

Have you applied all the updates to Mac Office?  (Use Help>Check for Updates
to make sure, one just came out...)

Have you applied all the updates to Mac OS X?  Use Apple's Software Update
to make sure.

Sorry...

On 18/02/08 12:11 PM, in article
F333D952-9717-4E7B-B485-67D5DBF41F50@microsoft.com, "Analee Young" <Analee
Young@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I did this, I went to printing and selected two-sided printing. But it still
> printed single pages. What do I do? I went to HP's website and downloaded all
> the new software and still nothing. I bought this printer for the two-sided
> capabilities, and I can't print two-sided. How do I make word work with this
> option?
>
> "John McGhie" wrote:
>
>> It's in a strange place...
>>
>> When you go to File>Print...  There are three drop-down boxes in the dialog
>> that appears.
>>
>> You need to change the third one (the unlabelled one...) to "Two sided
>> printing".
>>
>> This is an idiosyncrasy of the Apple printing mechanism.  Office
>> applications never "print" anything, they just hand the file off to the
>> operating system.  The dialog you see is generated by Mac OS X.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>

>> On 4/02/08 7:40 AM, in article ee8becf.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
>> "HMB@officeformac.com" <HMB@officeformac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I bought a new iMac with Leopard installed. Although not computer savy, I
>>> then
>>> installed a new HP LaserJet P2015d & Office:mac 2004 (student & teacher
>>> edition).
>>> When I want to print via Safari or Firefox, I'm given the option to print
>>> 'two-sided'. However, in Word, this option does not appear in the print
>>> popup
>>> box.
>>> Does anyone know why? Is there a way to remedy this situation?
>>> Thank you.
>>> HMB
>>
>> --
>> Don't wait for your answer, click here: http://www.word.mvps.org/
>>
>> Please reply in the group.  Please do NOT email me unless I ask you to.
>>
>> John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
>> http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
>> Nhulunbuy, Northern Territory, Australia
>> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Nhulunbuy, Northern Territory, Australia

0
john7143 (1072)

I cannot get my printer to print any information
I USED EXCEL 2003 TO GENERATE A WORKSHEET WITH DATA. I CANNOT PRINT IT. WHY? The why could be many things, some of which could be exel issues and some of which could be driver issues, network issues, or others. Can you, for instance, print from other applications to your printer? Have you been able to print from Excel in the past and this is a new problem, or is this your first attempt to print from Excel? -- Y "ANDIAMO" wrote: > I USED EXCEL 2003 TO GENERATE A WORKSHEET WITH DATA. I CANNOT PRINT IT. WHY? ...

Whenever I try to route a document from Word
I get this message: "A program is trying to access email addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you wish to allow this?" and then it goes on about if you don't expect this, it may be a virus and to select No. Is this some type of setting I can shut off or is this normal? I'm only sending the doc internally around the office, why is the security so paranoid? Can I turn this off somehow? Thanks viv <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I get this message: "A program is trying to access email > addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do...

uninstall fonts in Word 2003
How can I uninstall fonts from the drop down menu in this program? There are too many to choose from and I don't use most of them... hate looking through the list each time I want to change fonts. If they're fonts you're never going to use anyway, you Delete them from the Fonts folder in Start > Control Panel. (But if they weren't stored somewhere else in your computer and installed from there, you should move them to a storage folder instead, so that when you do want them back, you can Install them again.) In Word2007, recently used fonts appear in a group at t...

Use jpg as border
Hi - I have a specific jpg that I wish to use as a border on a Word 2007 document. This jpg will be 3/4 point, and will border the entire document with multiple copies of the picture. In other words, the picture will be copied around the entire border of the document. I looked in Word 2007 'Help' but could not find the info on how to do this, if indeed it is possible. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Joe Hello Joe, if your jpg file is of right dimensions, you can use it as a background image. Therefore you can have it as border as...

How do I print one image (say page 1) twice on the same page?
Hello, does anyone know if Excel offer the print option of printing 2up? Meaning, printing the same page twice on one sheet (ie: page 1 printed twice -perhaps landscape, side-by-side, and 50% of course. I have tried and I do not know if Excel is capable of this. Any assistance is appreciated. Hi there I had exactly the same question a few months ago. The simple answer is Excel can't do this easily. So a workaround is required. What I did for my workbook was to add an extra worksheet on which I copied what I wanted to print. I called the worksheet "Double". The worksheet ha...

Outlook 2003 with Word as Mail Editor
I am looking around to see how I can create my own email templates, so far the help file does not shows anything on this. Also I noticed that Outlook 2003 mention forms but not templates on the "New" button. Can someone give me some tips or links on how to create / save / use those Outlook 2003 templates or Forms ? Thanks ...

Hide Quck Parts in Word 2007
Hi, Is it possible to hide empty quick parts in word 2007? I am populating quick parts from a sharepoint list (wss 3.0) and some of the fields in this list are not rquired and the field names are showing when the metadata is empty. http://www.moss2007.be/blogs/vandest/archive/2009/12/03/configure-word-2007-content-controls-with-empty-placeholder-text.aspx ...

commodities in 2004
How do you add gold/silver to your investments? In microsoft.public.money, david4943 wrote: >How do you add gold/silver to your investments? I would buy AU and HL. Are you thinking of ingots? Coins? ...

Word Wrap in Email
Folks, I receive email without line breaks at the end of each line. CRM displays the text as one LONG horizontal line of text. Does someone know of a setting where I can have the CRM email window automatically word wrap at the end of the displayed window? Timothy -- CRM 1.2 /C360 user ...

Online form ~ I have word 2003 and 2007
Hello, I am trying to create an online form that will allow for a limited amount of characters per field. For example: Name: 20 Characters at length and so on Date: 15 Characters Title of the reading: 40 characters Please advise, Thanks -- astro44 ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader an...

when i print maximum pages is 99 how do i increase?
I have reports which I print 250 pages of the same item but even though I put in the amount 250 the maximum it prints is 99 so to get what I want I have to do (99, 99, and the 52 to get the 250) and its only recently started doing this - my company upgraded its server. On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:17:00 -0800, qwcqualityinspector <qwcqualityinspector@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have reports which I print 250 pages of the same item but even though I put >in the amount 250 the maximum it prints is 99 so to get what I want I have to >do (99, 99, and the 52 to get the 250)...

Printing Headers
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Outlook 97 I used to be able to print an "Unsent" message and it would included the header information and subject line. But now in Outlook 2002 when I go to print a message in Draft form it doesn't print the Header information regardless of whether the message is in Plain Text, RTF or HTML format? Is this true and if so, is there a work-around? ...

Print custom task list with notes
I need to print a project list. I would like to be able to print out an outlook task list with the text I type in the notes area (that white text area in the task tab, not sure of name) beneath the subject. So for instance I want to be able to print all the tasks in a list but between each task I would like the notes relating to that task. I've seen ways of doing this, but they restrict the length of the text it shows, and I would like the text to be multi-lined, as long as possible, and even italicized so it stands out from the subject heading. I know that memo printing does this but I wo...

Receiveing a Microsoft Document in Word
Hi Guys Recently I was sent a word document by a colleague that contained algebraic equations. Upon receiving the document I noticed that it had black boxes where the equations would be instead of the equations. I have Microsoft Office for Mac on my Powerbook.Fortunately I also have VirtualPC on my Powerbook with Office Professional also installed for emergencies. I was able to access the document properly that way. The question I have is what might have caused this and can I correct this problem. I was under the impression that with Office for Mac these problems would be eliminated. In art...

Experiences upgrading Money 2004 to 2006
I upgraded to Money 2006 from 2004 because I could not resolve 'Starting Balance Discrepancy' problem. I have had these before and managed to fix them by forcing the balance to the right value but even Cal Learner's technique did not work: >If you wish to start fresh and declare an account balanced, you can >mark all entries balanced. Select to show only unreconciled >transactions. Sort by date, and go to the oldest transaction. >Hold down Cntl+Shift+M and let auto-repeat work thru the >transactions until none are left showing. Then balance making the >startin...

Print to file: What format?
Hello, When a user checks the "Print to file" radio button in a print dialog, in what format will the file be and how can it be used? Thanks, John To quote an MSDN article: "The Print To File feature can come in handy if the printer on which you ultimately want to print your document isn't attached to your system. For example, you might be sending the final document to a service bureau to be printed on a high-resolution printer. When you use this feature, you can save the file in a special format that contains raw printer data specific to the selected printer. When you s...

Automatic printing of sent messages.
Can Outlook 2000 be set-up to automatically print a message immediately after having hit the "send" button? or Can a "Send and Print" button be set up? I'm probable not the only grunt that has to print a hard copy of all outgoing e-mails to be maintained in a physical file folder. To make matters worse, bosses cc: me so that I can print out and file their messages too. Thanks >-----Original Message----- >Can Outlook 2000 be set-up to automatically print a >message immediately after having hit the "send" button? or >Can a "Send a...

Publisher to print an elementary school newspaper?
Hi, a friend of mine ask me if its possible for an Office application that help her to make a school newspaper for her elementary school. Her newspaper should be done in legal size paper in landscape layout and in the form of folded booklet but it the size of the types should not be reduced, I mean the format should be like like a normal book but with only 10 or 12 pages. Could we do that in Publisher or Word? Thank you. SF Javier <javier@usa.net> was very recently heard to utter: > Her newspaper should be done in legal size paper in landscape layout > and in the form of...

covet a file to Word
I have a map drawn in Publisher. How can I get this into a word document. I realy need to make this map available to a party that does not have Publisher. They do have internet. I do have a scanner and could send as a jpeg file but I thought there might be an easier way. Thanks in advance, Ray Do a copy and paste into any paint program and save as any supported file type you choose. -- Hi Ray (rhaubelt@grandecom.net), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || I have a map drawn in Publisher. How can I get this into a || word document. || || I realy need to make this map availab...

budget money deluxe 2004
under my budget it lists my auto insurance twice or double the amount. its under the first page where it lists the budgeted amounts and how much has been allocated to that item for the month, yet my budget at the end of the budget screens balances? anybody knows whats up? I also get an expense budget item duplicated when I view the completed budget. If I go back to the expense set up it shows only once, but viewing the monthly budget shows the amount doubled. If anyone else is experiencing this problem please post your situation to this message. Perhaps if enough people report thi...

Problems Uninstalling Office 2004 Test Drive from Mac #2
Hi, I use a Mac with OSX Tiger. I installed an Office 2004 test drive, but then bought an Office X and started using it. I uninstalled Office 2004 test drive, but now whenever I try opening an office document (word, powerpoint or excel), the Office 2004 dialogue box pops up and tells me that the test drive has expired, though what I am trying to do is open using Office X. To avoid this currently I have to right click and say open with Office X. Is there anyway I can avoid the Office 2004 dialogue box popping up? Can I open the documents with Office X by just double clicking on that. All help a...

Cash flow forecast Money 2004
How can I activate the cashflow forecast? Money gives the message 'Please create at least one checking, savings or cash account before you go to the cash flow forecast'. But I have created more savings an cash accounts with billings and deposits statement'! I also created a budget! But nothing helps! Who knows the solution for this problem? ...

Colours not printing true
Hi, I have just made up a calendar in Publisher 2003 with my own photos, and printed on my new Canon 4300. I have found that a certain range of colours (the oranges) come out very false and of poor quality. I printed out the photo normally and all was well. I have heard that Publisher can cause trouble with colour- is there some fix or update that would correct this? Just because you see a particular color on your screen doesn't mean that your printer will produce that same image. And different printers will print the colors differently. You need to properly calibrate your monit...

Word does not open. Windows cannot find file
While using word on my computer I have been getting this message. Windows cannot find 'C: /Users/XXXXXX/Desktop/Folder name/Resume1.docx' (XXXXXX to protect name). Make sure you type the name correctly, and then try again. The only way I can get is to go into Word to open the file See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/reregisterword.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "RAYCCCC" <RAYCCCC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01D729BC-1FAE-4B84-8D66-E1D122E601D0@microsoft.com... > While using word on my computer I have been gett...

Access/Excel/Word Challenge
Hi, I'm trying to decide the best approach to this problem and would appreciate any help: 1. I have a template for a report in Word that refers to fields in an Excel worksheet. 2. The Excel worksheet, however, is not set up to easily use in the Word template. Instead of one person with many fields (columns) I have the same name multiple times, with one column listing multiple pieces of information for each person, for example: First Last Cars Devices Jane Doe Altima Laptop Jane Doe Lexus Desktop J...