Documents folder scrambled after update installed

The documents folder on my intel Macbook appears to have been "trashed"
during a recent update of Office 2008.  When I went to open a file from the
documents folder it was missing as were almost all other files normally found
there.  The "Microsoft user data" folder was still present but when opened it
also appeared to have been modified.  After searching in spotlight for
"documents" I found two folders named Documents in the trash.  One, named
"Documents 14-50-37" contained the file I was seeking and most of the others
I remembered being there.  The second, named "Documents" contained the same
files and others I had worked on previously.  Both folders showed dates that
were the same as when I applied the Updates 12.1.3 and 12.1.2.  I am using
Office 2008 Student edition and do not have Entourage installed.  What is the
best way to restore my Documents folder?
0
netuser (3)

"netuser" wrote:

> The documents folder on my intel Macbook appears to have been "trashed"
> during a recent update of Office 2008.  When I went to open a file from the
> documents folder it was missing as were almost all other files normally found
> there.  The "Microsoft user data" folder was still present but when opened it
> also appeared to have been modified.  After searching in spotlight for
> "documents" I found two folders named Documents in the trash.  One, named
> "Documents 14-50-37" contained the file I was seeking and most of the others
> I remembered being there.  The second, named "Documents" contained the same
> files and others I had worked on previously.  Both folders showed dates that
> were the same as when I applied the Updates 12.1.3 and 12.1.2.  I am using
> Office 2008 Student edition and do not have Entourage installed.  What is the
> best way to restore my Documents folder?

Have you tried just moving them back?

I have never heard of this happening. On very rare occasions during an
update either Office, the OS or other application that uses an installer,
bad things can happen.

The strange naming like "Documents 14-50-37" is very unusual. Can you
explain your setup? Have you attached a folder action to your Documents
folder? We might be able to offer suggestions if we understood your setup.

You mention that you do not have Entourage installed. It is best not to
remove any application from the suite. It takes up very little room and
cause problems with updates.

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
10/22/2008 11:03:55 PM

"Diane Ross" wrote:

> "netuser" wrote:
>
> > The documents folder on my intel Macbook appears to have been "trashed"
> > during a recent update of Office 2008.  When I went to open a file from the
> > documents folder it was missing as were almost all other files normally found
> > there.  The "Microsoft user data" folder was still present but when opened it
> > also appeared to have been modified.  After searching in spotlight for
> > "documents" I found two folders named Documents in the trash.  One, named
> > "Documents 14-50-37" contained the file I was seeking and most of the others
> > I remembered being there.  The second, named "Documents" contained the same
> > files and others I had worked on previously.  Both folders showed dates that
> > were the same as when I applied the Updates 12.1.3 and 12.1.2.  I am using
> > Office 2008 Student edition and do not have Entourage installed.  What is the
> > best way to restore my Documents folder?
>
> Have you tried just moving them back

Not yet.  Wanted to get your feedback first.  Some documents have been
modified in the interim.  I'm guessing that dropping the oldest version on
the current "Documents" folder first then the second, newer, version on that
result will allow me to restore all to their correct vintage?

> I have never heard of this happening. On very rare occasions during an
> update either Office, the OS or other application that uses an installer,
> bad things can happen.

Yes it did.  What's even worse, that rare occasion seems to have occurred
twice consecutively.

> The strange naming like "Documents 14-50-37" is very unusual. Can you
> explain your setup? Have you attached a folder action to your Documents
> folder? We might be able to offer suggestions if we understood your setup.

I think my setup is pretty plain vanilla.  No folder actions on Documents or
any other folder.  My Macbook came with an Office 2004 preview app which I
removed without using.  I installed Office 2008 last March without trouble
using all defaults except the excluding of Entourage.  This is the first and
only Microsoft app used on this machine and have had very little trouble with
this or any other application to date.  I am using OS X 10.4.11 with updates
from Apple installed when available without trouble.  Updates for Office 2008
have been applied pretty much when available and also without trouble (except
see comment below).

> You mention that you do not have Entourage installed. It is best not to
> remove any application from the suite. It takes up very little room and
> cause problems with updates.

There are sometimes good reasons not to accept all that is available even
though what you say has proven true, at least in this case.  Perhaps I missed
the caution statement to this effect during the initial install.  More
evidence to your point--when I applied the first update to Office 2008 the
installation routine ran normally until the very last screen which said there
were problems with the install and to reinstall the update.  A second time
through the installation routine ended with the same result.  After opening
and examining all Office apps, no problems came up and the "About..." info
showed the updates in place.  I looked through Mactopia and forums but didn't
find anything to shed light on why this might have occurred.  During this
search I found recommended steps to safely install these updates and had done
what was suggested.  I continued using Excel and Word without issues and
concluded it was a bug in the installer.  When I installed the second update
the same result occurred--installer finished normally except the final screen
stated there were problems and to reinstall.  Went through a similar
verification and search process, also with the same result.  While searching
the Web I found, downloaded and ran an Applescript routine that reports the
installed version number of Office 2008 applications.  All showed the recent
update number.  This same result has happened now on each update.  After the
12.1.2  update, I came across some comments that led me to conclude the final
install screen warning was an anomaly due to Entourage not being in the mix
for the Installer.  Guess it's more than that.  A final note: somewhere in
the past few months, between all the Apple, Microsoft and other application
updates, I have lost the ability to put my Macbook in "Safe Mode".  I have
run diagnostics and nothing shows any problem.  Haven't gone beyond that,
life's too short and I plan to install Leopard soon.

> --
> Diane

Thanks for your help with this.  I'll be glad to provide any additional
information about my setup or the procedures I've used that might prove
helpful to you.
David
0
netuser (3)
10/24/2008 3:36:00 AM
"netuser" wrote:

> Not yet.  Wanted to get your feedback first.  Some documents have been
> modified in the interim.  I'm guessing that dropping the oldest version on
> the current "Documents" folder first then the second, newer, version on that
> result will allow me to restore all to their correct vintage?

If you drag a file with the same name to a folder it will overwrite the
file. You can just rename one so you have both. You could just create a
folder in Documents  "Recovered Files" and move them all there.

>> The strange naming like "Documents 14-50-37" is very unusual.

>I think my setup is pretty plain vanilla.

I still don't get the naming with number scheme, but perhaps that's not
pertinent.

> A final note: somewhere in
> the past few months, between all the Apple, Microsoft and other application
> updates, I have lost the ability to put my Macbook in "Safe Mode".  I have
> run diagnostics and nothing shows any problem.  Haven't gone beyond that,
> life's too short and I plan to install Leopard soon.

You might be able to fix this using an Apple combo updater or do an "Archive
& Install", but since you are going to install Leopard it's probably not
worth the time. I do advise you to do an "Erase & Install" when you do
Leopard since you are having problems with the Safe Mode boot. I wouldn't be
confident that an "Archive & Install" would clear all problems. Whatever you
choose, do not use the upgrade method.

If you don't have an external drive to backup your Documents folder, I
suggest this would be an excellent time to get one. After you get installed
you can use it for a Time Machine.

Options to Install Leopard
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/leo_options.html>

Using Entourage with Leopard
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/leopard.html>

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
10/24/2008 4:27:24 AM
Diane--
re: strange naming like "Documents 14-50-37"
My naive assumption is that since this is the second occurrence of
"Documents" in the Trash the numerics were attached.  The numbering scheme
resulted from a System/Application action during the Update process as
opposed to the naming that a User action might generate like "Documents2".

So now I'll just reconstruct my Documents folder and continue on.  But if
you're still interested here's two more quirks to this issue:
The first instance of Documents in the Trash that came from Update 12.1.2 is
only a partial set of what was present at the time whereas the second
instance resulting from Update 12.1.3 was the complete folder.
I use a utility called "FinderPop" that allows user content to be placed in
the right click menu and I have added an alias to the Documents folder there.
 When I right click and navigate to this alias, it lists the complete
unaltered Documents folder and when I move to a listing within, I can open a
document to the desktop even if its in the Trash.  (Sorry, it just occurred
to me that this might constitute a pseudo- "folder action" that you first
asked about?)

Thanks for the help offered on my Safe Mode problem and advice on Leopard
options.  I will do the "Erase & Install" as you suggested.

I'm a first-timer to this forum and appreciate your responses and their
timely posting.
David

"Diane Ross" wrote:

> "netuser" wrote:
>
> > Not yet.  Wanted to get your feedback first.  Some documents have been
> > modified in the interim.  I'm guessing that dropping the oldest version on
> > the current "Documents" folder first then the second, newer, version on that
> > result will allow me to restore all to their correct vintage?
>
> If you drag a file with the same name to a folder it will overwrite the
> file. You can just rename one so you have both. You could just create a
> folder in Documents  "Recovered Files" and move them all there.
>
> >> The strange naming like "Documents 14-50-37" is very unusual.
>
> >I think my setup is pretty plain vanilla.
>
> I still don't get the naming with number scheme, but perhaps that's not
> pertinent.
>
> > A final note: somewhere in
> > the past few months, between all the Apple, Microsoft and other application
> > updates, I have lost the ability to put my Macbook in "Safe Mode".  I have
> > run diagnostics and nothing shows any problem.  Haven't gone beyond that,
> > life's too short and I plan to install Leopard soon.
>
> You might be able to fix this using an Apple combo updater or do an "Archive
> & Install", but since you are going to install Leopard it's probably not
> worth the time. I do advise you to do an "Erase & Install" when you do
> Leopard since you are having problems with the Safe Mode boot. I wouldn't be
> confident that an "Archive & Install" would clear all problems. Whatever you
> choose, do not use the upgrade method.
>
> If you don't have an external drive to backup your Documents folder, I
> suggest this would be an excellent time to get one. After you get installed
> you can use it for a Time Machine.
>
> Options to Install Leopard
> <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/leo_options.html>
>
> Using Entourage with Leopard
> <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/leopard.html>
>
> --
> Diane

0
netuser (3)

store historical address in SOP-should not update from card
GP 8.0 / History should retain the exact billing address at the time of invoice and not reflect subsequent changes to the customer card. Currently updating an address id on the customer card rolls that change back through all historical SOP documents that used the address id as a billing address. The ship to address is preserved. To view problem: Through inquiry, view the historical invoice Open the customer card/address id related to the invoice Make a change to address lines on the address id Through inquiry, view the same historical invoice Note that changes made in the present al...

redirect my documents
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0075_01C60228.32B5F210 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, How can I change the folder when my user want to insert an attachment?? = I would like to use an especific folder.. can I to do this?? thks, Jane ------=_NextPart_000_0075_01C60228.32B5F210 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> &l...

Preparing to Install
When i click on Micirosoft Money in gives me the "preparing to install" box. I can "Cancel" repeatedly and eventually Money will load. This just started happening. Dean ...

shared folders
My shared folder is not in my address book anymore? Where did it go and how do I get it back? I can't import or export either. It won't allow me too. Thanks so much for your help! Judy ...

Retrieve document that was closed as Document 1?
I had a three page Word document still titled as Document 1 that I accidently closed before remembering I wanted to keep the first page. I had not saved the document before closing so if I select a Word document again I will get Document 1 but it will be blank. Is there any way I can retrieve this document? Frank C. If you didn't save it there's nothing to recover. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web s...

"Links cannot be updated" error
My workbook "Main.xls" has links to another workbook. When I open Main.xls I get an error window: This workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated. ~To change the source of links, or attempt to update values again, click Edit Links. ~To open the workbook as is, click Continue. .... with Continue and Edit Links buttons in the window. Does anyone have a fix for this? Thanks! If you want to remove the links, there's several methods: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/removing_links_in_microsoft_excel.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www...

FW: Look at this update
--utznyhnngpyzky Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="xtyuqlepbpxesy"; type="multipart/alternative" --xtyuqlepbpxesy Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="ubbsjyfykdwoqqeg" --ubbsjyfykdwoqqeg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now ...

Open documents in new window
I recently uninstalled an add-in (Office Tab), and since then all instances of Word 2007 (on XP SP3) open in the same window, rather than in new windows, which is my preference. I'm pretty sure I remember having to change it to the "open in new window" for the default setting a couple of years ago when I first started using 2007, but can't seem to find out how that is done. Any help would be greatly appreciated. David uncheck the Windows in Taskbar in the View dialog under office menu under the Microsoft Office Button. Hope this helps DeanH &quo...

Microsoft Documentation
Hi, I came across this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=64966E88-1377-4D1A-BE86-AB77014495F4&displaylang=en#top page which is the Technical Overview of DirectAccess. Is their like a central link that one can go to and find other technical overviews of other products which maybe of interest? Thanks "biren" <biren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75543666-0178-4559-9D60-01E16B1E3428@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I came across this > > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=64966...

Changing the Zoom to open a document in 100%
When I open a particular document on my computer it automatically shows it at 100% Zoom. However, my boss has a problem showing the document on his computer at less than 100%. He would like to change it so that he does not have to adjust it at 100% every time he opens the document. Can you tell me how this could be done? Do you really want the zoom changed to 100% or do you want it so that he can see the same columns as you see? If you want to set the zoom to 100%, you can do something like this in your auto_open (or workbook_open) code: Option Explicit Sub auto_open() Dim wks ...

Create top level folder in Outlook 2002?
I'm trying to configure Outlook 2002 to service all the email accounts that I use and I'm having a problem. Two of my accounts are HTTP protocol, and they appear in my Folder List as top level folders. Another of my accounts is POP3, and it appears under my Personal Folders. I'd like to create a top level folder for it. Can anyone offer some words of wisdom? pop is delivered to your default message store - http and imp accounts have separate folders because they are copies of your server-based message store. You could use rules to move the messages to a new message store, ...

Outlook Update Will Not Install
Hi All, The Outlook junkmail filter update that came out last month (kb959634) flat out refuses to update. I am using Office 2007 Pro SP1 on a Vista SP1 OS. I have tried almost everything I have found online. Interesting note - when I try to do a repair install to Outlook, it too fails to finish. Other updates seem to install just fine, but I get the error 80070641, and a couple of times I got 80070643 (after trying some repair things I found through google). I don't mind wiping my disk and reinstalling everything, but I would rather know why this update won't install first...

public folders #44
Hi, I'm set as the owner + I have full rights to an public folder on our exhange server, but I can't change the rights on the files in that folder no matter what I do, is there a way to reset the rights on force the rights on the files/subfolders? I have already tried the regular things like "allow inheritable permissions..." and "reset permissions on all child objects" + replacing ownership on all child objects. Thanks if i understand this correctly, you have a folder called A (as example) and under A you have subfolders called 1 2 and 3 that you want to h...

open the document instead of the inquiry window
When adding a PO to a service call, we click the PO number and it opens the PO inquiry screen. We need it to open the actual PO/document screen so the addresses can be modified as needed, etc. Is there a setting somewhere in GP to allow this? ...

Saving an Excel document after moving additional worksheets to it
I have a 'master' spreadsheet that I would like to add additional tabs to. I'm not having any problems moving the worksheets into the document but when I try to save the file its not happening. I have tried renaming the file, saving to a pen drive but nothing seems to be working. I seem to be able to save the first worksheet but then reopening and saving additional worksheets without success. Would anyone have any idea why I am unable to save the file.....thanks ...

Why do I get a blank page when trying to print Avery Document 516.
I have the labels ready to go. Using Microsoft Word. When I try to print the labels, I get a blank page. I tried two printers, HP and Brother. Same thing with both. Any suggestions? Check the font formatting. Make sure that it is not hidden. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "bburkesj" <bburkesj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B881C096-C3F6-475B-B00A-F75C2DED0D73@microsoft.c...

popup when open public folder from system manager
Hi, I always got this popup when open Public Folder from Exchange System Manager: Title : Exchange System Manager The operation completed succesfully. Facility : Win32 ID no. c0070000 Exchange System Manager No error in the Event Viewer... Please advice. Regards Acung have you tried what James Chong mentioned here http:// www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/28432674/re-exchange-system- manag.aspx 1. In adsiedit first verify if your PF tree is a MAPI PF tree and not a general purpose tree. ADSIEDIT.MSC Click Ok. (ADSIEDIT is part of your Windows 2000\2003 Support Tools found on the...

Slow delivery to Personal folders
We are running Exchange 5.5 SP4 in the organization and Office 2000 SP3. There is a person who although Outlook opens fine and sends email out, when email is recieved into the Mailbox on the server it just sits there and may take 10 or more minutes before it ends up in the local PST on his computer. Of course if you hit the Send and Recieve it then is delivered to the PST local file but obviously this is not the answer. Any ideas on what to check to get this to deliver in a timely fashion? The exchange is listed in the host file and the IP is correct and we also have made sure th...

SmartList Builder Refresh Cache showing Install button
My production GP is always showing a button <Install> whenever I go to Microsoft Dynamics GP > Tools > SmartList Builder > Maintenance > Refresh Cache If I go to the same place in my test GP server, I get the window with the <Refresh Cache> button. So, when I see the <Install> button, it looks as if something is installed, but nothing else happens. What and why is this happening? New features and functions need to be initially installed under the SA user or a user with SA rights. If any other user clicks the install button, the system will attempt to r...

Updating two fields on Command ADD
Hi All, I currently have a form that on Click of a command button, updates a field for me, using the following OnClick code: Private Sub Add_New_Case_Click() DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec Me.MISLE_Number.SetFocus Exit_Add_New_Case_Click: Exit Sub End Sub It works great, however I now need to update TWO numbers with the same click, is this possible? My table of record is tblSENESarLog2008, and my primary field to update (the one I always had) is in that table. The new field I want to update is a concurrent number and lives in tblSENEIncidentLog2008. Thanks in advance, Steph Hi All,...

Where is documentation of VBA Chart properties and methods?
Where can I find documentation listing all of the Excel VBA Chart properties and methods? An internet site, or a good book maybe? Thanks. Never mind. I realized that the Excel VBA help file was not installed. Sorry about the dumb questions. "Hmmm..." <blahbla@blahl.com> wrote in message news:1wDRa.106421$Io.9109532@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net... > Where can I find documentation listing all of the Excel VBA Chart properties > and methods? An internet site, or a good book maybe? Thanks. > > ...

Archive vs. Personal folders #2
For some reason I now get all of my incoming mail into anInbox in my Archive folders, and not into the Inbox of my Personal folders. It's annoying. What setting did I inadvertently change? Thanks. You changed the default PST file. Post your Outlook version so someone can tell you haw to set it back. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Curt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:215d201c45b74$dd0e4390$a601280a@phx.gbl... > For some reason I now get all of my incoming mail into > anInbox in my Archive folders, and not into the Inbox of > my P...

Setting Public Folder Permissions (Exchange 2003)
We have a public folder on our Exchange server that stores all of our client contact information. I know that there is a way to assign permissions (Owner, Editor, etc) to the other Exchange users. I did this once or twice when we were on Exchange 5.5. How would I do that on Exchange 2003? It is in the Exchange Tasks of each user in AD? Is it something in the Exchange console that I am missing? forgot to send you the link (-: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=635BE792-D8AD-49E3-ADA4-E2422C0AB424&displaylang=en oz -- Best regards, Good Luck Oz Ozugurlu __________...

Move pages from document to document?

Terminal server install domain problem help please
Hi everyone, this is my setup windows 2003 sbs acting as domain controller, exchange, microsoft crm ect windows 2003 standard acting as a terminal server and member server I had a problem with folder redirection which works fine but i manually had to give permission to each individual on the sbs server to the folder redirection folder, is this normal? seems cumbersum My problem is i have install microsoft crm on the 2003 sbs and now i am trying to configure access via the outlook client on the terminal server but i can only get it to work for the administrator. i noticed under the term...