Closing Office Appls Slow when no internet connection

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Why, on a clean install of Office 2008: DVD, then update 12.1.0, then 12.1.9, I notice that when there is no internet connections, when you close any Office app, it takes 10-15 seconds longer. When you have an internet connection, it closes instantly. Is this a bug?

I have verfied this on another mac using office 2008 now as well.
Can anyone else double check for me. When closing any office app, and you have no internet connection, it takes much longer for the app to close out.
I really haven't investigated this but unless you have a connection to begin
with, access some type of web services (such as Help or Reference Tools),
then lose the connection before Quitting I don't see any reason why there
should be any difference. Other than Entourage none of the Main Office apps
use an internet connection as a matter of course.

Especially if there's no connection when you launch there should be no
difference when you Quit. I don't see any [measurable] difference here.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 7/18/09 6:10 AM, in article 59b7797e.1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"kehrer1701@officeformac.com" <kehrer1701@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Can anyone else double check for me. When closing any office app, and you have
> no internet connection, it takes much longer for the app to close out.

You could use tcpflow to monitor the traffic when quitting any Office
application to see what is actually happening.

How to use TCPflow to test Send & Receive:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/troubleshoot/tcpflow.html>

--
Diane

In article <59b7797e.1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>,
 kehrer1701@officeformac.com wrote:

> Can anyone else double check for me. When closing any office app, and you
> have no internet connection, it takes much longer for the app to close out.

You don't say what version you're using, so it's impossible to diagnose.

When Office 2004 first came out, this was a frequent complaint - the
anti-piracy routines that check the local network for running apps using
the same Product ID issue a message on shutdown. I don't recall the
exact details.

IIRC, when it sent out the message to the connected network and got
nothing back, shutdown was nearly instantaneous, but when the network
was disconnected, the routine had to time out (about a minute) before it
would stop listening and allow Office to shut down.

So, what version of Office are you running? With what update level? All
apps?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
7/18/2009 10:34:41 PM
Hi John;

Good point most of us probably forgot about, but the version info in the
initial post is 2008, updated to 12.1.9.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 7/18/09 6:34 PM, in article
jemcgimpsey-222828.16344118072009@news.microsoft.com, "JE McGimpsey"

In article <C6888732.4F6BC%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net>,
 CyberTaz <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> Hi John;
>
> Good point most of us probably forgot about, but the version info in the
> initial post is 2008, updated to 12.1.9.

Thanks for the correction - I got confused by the "anyone else"
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Cannot attach Office 2007 files
When trying to attach Office 2007 file types we get error. Pdf, xls, doc etc... attach just fine, but when trying to attach xlsx or docx files we will get error. Is it possible to change settings so we can attach those too. Or is there an update that fixes this problem. check the Update Rollup 2 ...

ThisWorkbook.Close question
Please take a look at the code below: Public Sub DumbFoo ( ) ThisWorkbook.Close() Sheet1.Range("A1").Value = -1 ThisWorkbook.Save() End Sub Is it safe to assume that the code below the "ThisWorkbook.Close()" line will NOT be executed??? My question is basically: Does all VBA code stop executing once a .Close() function is called??? Thank you! I don't believe the code would execute at all because of the parentheses after Close. It would throw an error an tell you that something is missing, or type mismatch. But, if you did...

RPC over HTTP slow
RPC over HTTP is configured and working, Q331320 is installed except it takes a few minutes to start receiving messages. Once it starts, it works perfectly. Even when all folders are up to date, it takes the same amount of time to start working. The same occurs on dial-up or broadband, when Outlook is set to download headers only or headers followed by full items, and happens on multiple machines. Any ideas? ...

Problem with connections to localhost
I have a strange problem with Outlook 2000. When I set the outgoing server to 127.0.0.3 Outlook does not send mail properly. It goes to some stage and the mail is not sent. I can however send mail using OE. I have tried all settings in the network tab in Outlook. None seem to work. Any solutions? TIA. -- main(){char s[37]="CSbwjAjocpy/mw!PS!sbwjAeftqbnnfe/dpn"; int i;for(i=0;i<36;putchar(s[i++]-1));return 0;} Localhost is usually 127.0.0.1. When you ping localhost, what IP address is returned? This is defined in your hosts file. Regardless, what is your e-mail server? If y...

How to Enable Close(cross) button of MB_YESNO messagebox
Hi, I want to enable the close(cross) button in the right corner of YESNO message box. Can anybody tell me how to do this. Klic. "Klic" <rohit.turambekar@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1186120969.045121.287770@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > I want to enable the close(cross) button in the right corner of YESNO > message box. > Can anybody tell me how to do this. Why? If there is a valid answer other than yes or no, then how about a yes/no/cancel message box in which (I would guess) the x button is equivalent to cancel. That would be more standard. Da...

Clip Art error code on Office 2007
The MS fix page referenced for Clip Art error code 0x800c0008 is for Office 2003 or older. It doesn't work for Office 2007. What to do? THX The Clip Organizer hasn't changed since 2002. (Office XP). If your firewall is configured correctly try putting the Office site in your trusted area. In Internet Explorer, Tools, Security tab, click Trusted Sites, click Sites button, uncheck Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone. Type http://office.microsoft.com in the address bar, click add. Can you accept the ActiveX control? Is it enabled in the Manage A...

Outlook closes and closes
Hi I have a strange bug. Windows XP Sp2 and outlook from office 20003 with all service packs applied. When I start outlook from windows out of standby postion, outlook immediately after the splash screen closes without reporting any errors in the eventlog or in any other log. If I start outlook the 10th time (or so) it stabilizes and does not close anymore and everything works again. info: My machine is fully patched and I am well known with keeping things healthy. Outlook.exe Version: 11.0.6353.0 Any ideas what to do? Thanks... try the detect and repair in the help menu. >----...

closing
What's the best way to close for the day? Making a backup is a given, but what about the computer? Is it better to shut everything off every day, or is it less wear and tear on the computer to leave it on all the time? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Craig That's a matter of preference really. Personally I always turn off my rigs at home when I'm done with them. At the store we leave most of ours on 24/7. We've done it for years with no issues. Our register must be left on as it does automatic backups to a tape drive every night. I'd set your monitors ...

Outlook Out of Office
Out of Office assistant automagically set as out based off my calendar? Or out of office set automatically for people who work Mon - Thurs and are gone Fri Sat Sun, so they don't have to remember. ...

Help
When creating or fowarding an e-mail message using outlook 2000, scrolling through my "recipients" list (contacts) causes the program to close unexpectedly. So, I click "new", click "to", switch to my "contacts" list, and as I scroll through the names, the program just closes. Is there a possibility that one of my contact records is corrupt? I have opened all of my contacts and saved them without an error. This problem developed shortly after the install of Office 2000's calender update, and basic security update. I have since fully u...

The Office 2008 for Mac Product Registration takes forever
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel After I reinstalled the OS system of my MacBook Pro, I reinstalled the Office 2008 for Mac by using the wrong product key (which has been used on another MacBook). So after couple times of using the Word, the notebook said I could not open the Word file again cause the registration has been used by another computer. Then, I started to uninstall the Office and then reinstall it again by following the mactopia instructions, of course, using the product key I first time applied on this MacBook Pro. However, when I tried to ...

Workflow Rule -> Closing Activity
I set up a Manual Workflow Rule for Contacts to close out Holiday Season cards sent. The rule uses a condition to check for Contacts with cards sent and then Creates an Activity to add to each of the appropriate Contacts for future reference. What else do I need to do to close out all of activites rather than 1 at a time? Here is the workflow rule if that helps: if Contact.holidaycardlist = 1 then Letter: Send Holiday Card endif -- Dan W Systems Engineer Denver, CO ...

Auto-close Quotes when Closing Opportunity
We would like the ability to close an opportunity and have it ask if you want to close all the associated quotes. Right now, it says you can’t close the opp until you close all the open quotes and you have to each one of those one by one. Barring that, if we could select multiple quotes and click on a menu item (Close all selected quotes), that would be most useful. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not ...

Data file not closed properly #3
I saw several post regarding this, but none had any answers, so I starting a new post. There is also nothing in the KB about this. Since othe people are having the same problem Microsoft should take a look at it. I get the message "The data file 'Personal Folders" was not closed properly" every time I close Outlook 2003. It runs a quick check/fix and starts up fine. I am running XP pro w/ SP-2. Outlook 2003 w/ SP-1 All patches and updates are current. My notebook was just rebuilt for so I could get a clean slate for the office 2003 install, (reformat drive and new ins...

Internet Mail Connector Routing Question
I have an Exchange 5.5 environment. My internet mail connector is working fine. We acquired a new company and I am being told all email routed to the new company should stay within our internal network and no longer route to the internet. Our networks have been setup to support this. Can I set up my 5.5 connector to route one domain (outbound) to a particular address without affecting other emails flowing outbound? Any advice would be very appreciated! Thanks! yes...in the properties of your IMS, go to the "Connections" tab, and in the "Message Delivery" sec...

OL 2003 asking for Office 2000 Disk
I just upgraded to Office 2003. I let the install program handle the update. Every few e-mails ask the the Office 2000 Disk 2 be put in as a Windows Installer pop-up is displayed. I can keep clicking Cancel and finally get to the message. How do I get this to go away? The Remove function in the Control Panel gives an error message and fails. ...

connecting story sections
I have a story where page 35 doesn't connect to page 36. I want to connect these pages. The problem is that publisher only lets me connect a page to a blank text box. As both page 35 and 36 aren't blank, I can't find a way to do this. Create a blank text box on page 36, then use the overflow feature on page 35 info to connect to the blank page 36 box. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Blindy" <Blindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7B78D7E-9888-40A8-B624-34C957C57...

Office for MAC
I have a MAC too and I have installed Office 2008. I would like to know if it's possible, as Technet subscriber, to download the last beta of Office 2011 for MAC. Thanks. Vincenzo Huh? Well, if you're a subscriber, have you logged on to your Technet account to see if it's available? "vinsoft" <vinsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:353A7303-CADD-40AF-86D1-178CD516126D@microsoft.com... :I have a MAC too and I have installed Office 2008. : I would like to know if it's possible, as Technet subscriber, to download : the last beta...

Office v.X Error with Network login
I have 3 brand new G5 macs with Panther 10.3.4. I have installed Office v.X and get errors when launching the applications. Sometimes word will quit right after splash screen. Sometimes it will end with an error saying not enough memory or disk space. Excell gives no errors but will not launch. Power Point launches then gives a permission error right after splash screen. Logging in as root or system admin works fine. The main issue is that i am logging into the computers using Active Directory accoutns and authentication. I have tried repairing permissions with no success. any help w...

Outlook2003 open and closed immediatly
I checked event log, nothing. And this happened when I just reboot my machine and first time tried to open Outlook, still same problem. But I found, when I double click anywhere in the Outlook Windows even it only gave me 0.5 second, then it won't close. Andy -------------------------------------------------------------- >>Look in task manager - processes, and see if multiple >>instances are running. If so, end all of them and try >>starting again. I had similar problem w/user, posted >>above. >>>>>-----Original Message----- >>>>>My O...

New computer and office 2007
I ordered a new computer at work and already have office 2007. I want to activate it on the new one and deactivate it on the old one. Has anyone done this or what will I have to do? I did a search on Microsoft and didn't get any hits on it. Thanks, Lee "Neophyte" <wleecoleman@.nospam.ev1.net> wrote in message news:%237S3ME1KJHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I ordered a new computer at work and already have office 2007. I want to >activate it on the new one and deactivate it on the old one. Has anyone >done this or what will I have to do? I did a search on...

Outlook Closes After Closing an Email
When I click the 'X' to close an email after reading it, Outlook closes (or tries to close, but I get a warning because I have templates in my Outbox). This only seems to happen when I close a new email. I have Outlook 2003. Thank you. ...

YE Closing Procedures
The year end closing procedures need to be more efficient and user friendly. For example, the payables and receivable management is date sensitive except for amounts since last close, vendor yearly summary etc. These modules should be fully date sensitive and the ability to enter into multiple years without caveats should exist. Year end is stressful enough ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the b...

Out of office assistant does not work from Outlook but ok from web email.
When I click on the Tools->Out of office assistant I get the following error. "The command is not available. See the program documentation about how to use this extension.". It works find if I use web mail. Any thoughts? Mike. ...

Permissions / Closing MDB left open
I need to learn how to create - well, I'm not actually sure what I need to learn... Let me explain: I'm a surgical resident. I've been working on an Access MDB as a patient census - for day-to-day management including tables, queries, and forms that print based on room number or service. Everything is setup as needed in the local file. I've been working on the content of the database on and off for a year. Recently, before I can implement my project, I realized I have a very big challenge to overcome related to usage of the file. Now, to complicate my iss...