Can't Open Hyperlink Word files or Save them if File is too Nested. Why

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Hello,
I have the most current update for Office (have had it for quite a while). Recently I am experiencing two issues (may be related).

On certain files which are nested pretty deep - maybe about 5 folders in (folder within folder with folder, etc.), if I open a file and work on it - when I save, Word Crashes. I have explored this issue and tried many, many fixes. None worked. I then found if I moved the file up a few folder levels, the problem did not continue.

I also recently had this issue when I would Hyperlink a document. Word would provide a "cannot open specified file" error when I tried to open these files. I found that if I moved them up to almost Desktop level (2 folder levels down), they would work. Any deeper and "cannot open specified file."

I know that Excel has a character path of only 250 characters to save a doc (ie: Username/Desktop/Project/Todayswork etc.). But I have never encountered this with Word.

I have already run Disk Utility, Uninstaleld/Reinstalled/Checked updates, replaces templates, explored Preference files.

Are saving and Hyperlinks path issues or has my Office gone bonkers?

Any help would be great.

THANKS!!
0
catahoula (1)

hyperlink to directory folder while highlighting filename
I have a excel sheet that categorizes all the PDFs by it's filename. Basically I want to hyperlink the PDF filename to open the directory location plus highlight the filename. Is this possible? I've been able to either set the hyperlink to open the directory or open the PDF. ...

Execute .bat file in the same process
Platform: VC7, Windows 2000 Hi, Is it possible to execute .bat file in the same process. My requirement is that I want to set environment variable value in my process using .bat file. If not, what is alternate way. Regards Vijay You can use the SetEnvironmentVariable API call. -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com http://blog.voidnish.com "vijay" <vijaysingh@abosoftware.com> wrote in message news:uogHjM3hFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Platform: VC7, Windows 2000 > > > > Hi, > > > > Is it possible to execute .bat fi...

Hyperlinks and outlook
Everytime I press a hyperlink, outlook express starts, but I want outlook 2000 to start instead, how do I change that? I already changed it on the control panel + internet options, and have it pointing to outlook 2000 but still launches outlook express. Any ideas? See if the tip in the first highlighted section of the following article works for you: http://www.slipstick.com/config/defaultmailer.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:8S5Ab.14154$...

audio notes in Word Notebook
I have recorded an audio file using Word Notebook. I would like to send the audio file to co-workers but they cannot seem to open it. Any ideas Are your co-workers using Word 2004? Only Word 2004 can open documents in Notebook Layout view and use the special features like audio, I think. However, you could use Tools | Audio Notes | Export audio to get just the audio file out, I think it comes out as an .mp4 Then send that around, it should be a standard format that most any audio program can play, far as I know. On 9/14/06 11:09 AM, "healy@parentchoice.org" wrote: > I h...

Publisher 2000

Save as comma csv problems
Hello, I hace Excel 2002. I have near 6000 addresses and contacts and wish to save the xls to a comma csv. I have done that before and then imported the comma csv into my membership program were it says 'import comma csv'. The problem is that some (300 odd) of the records are not imported correctly. I think this maybe because here are some commas in some of the fields eg 24 my street, whatever. Would that be the cause, and if so how can I get rid of all the commas? Many thanks rock I bet it's the way that your membership program works. I'd try this against a copy ...

OL 2003 .nk2 file clears on reboot
We have a client machine whose NK2 file is cleared on reboot. We have tried creating deleting the nk2 file to have OL create a new one, created a new OL profile with no luck. When we copied another users nk2 file to his directory and renamed it to his profile the data is picked up, but no new address are stored. outlook writes to the file when it closes - so it seems outlook is not closing correctly. is there a pda or an application using outlook data? if so, close it first. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? h...

Conversion from Publisher to Word
Hi; Can anyone tell me how to convert a Publisher document to Word? I don't have Publisher and my girlfriend's resume was created in it. I tried using Word 2000 to change it, but didn't see any options in the pull down menu for Publisher. If you don't have Publisher, you are hosed. There are no other programs that will open a Publisher file. You need the same or later version of Publisher to open a Publisher file. There are no Publisher viewers for any version available. -- ...

Problem trying to open old money file

opening links in outlook

amalgamating archive files
I have several archive files and I'd like to combine them into a single one. Is there a way to do this? Thanks. Howie ...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Attaching hyperlinks in emails
When attaching files or hyperlinks to email, I select the paperclip from the toolbar, select the file, and on the insert button at the bottom right there is a drop down menu which lists Insert, Insert as text, Insert as attachment, and Insert as Hyperlink. I have another computer that lists only the first two options. How do I add the other options to this drop down list? >-----Original Message----- >There are three message formats (HTML, Rich Text and >Plain Text), "Insert as Hyperlink" is only available for >Rich Text format, when you create a new mail the for...

Word forces Save As when Saving
I have had this happen quite a few times since using Word 2007 (Office 2007 suite) over the last 1+ years . At some point while working in a Word document, I press Ctrl-S to save and instead of saving the doc as usually happens, the Save As dialog comes up and I am forced to save the document with another name. This is very, very frustrating and completely interrupts my workflow because after saving with a new name, I have to close the document, delete the original so I can rename the saved-as doc with the right name. This seems to happen when I've been working in the sam...

Workflow Configuration File is corrupted
Hi There, Workflow manager is not functioning. Error message: Workflow Manager cannot Start. This could be becouse the workflow configuration file is courrupted, or the MS CRM Workflow Service cannot access the configuration file. how and where should we check and the configuration and how to resolve this problem (Do i have to re-install MS CRM???). Your early response will be much appriciated. I am using MS CRM 3.0. Thanking you in advance, Regard, S Dear All, problem has been resolved by following Neil Haffey 's advice. Thanks a lot Neil. Regards, Syed. "SyedAbdulba...

Need an open house sign in sheet

SheetName (Application.Caller.Parent.Name) Forces Excel to Save File
I have a VBA function in Excel that I have been using for years that will display the sheet name in a cell. The VBA function is as follows: Function SheetName() As String Application.Volatile SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name End Function This works great. However, I have found that if I am using this function if I open a worksheet and not change anything Excel will prompt me if I want to save the worksheet if I have not made any changes. Why is this happening and is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Mike The problem may be Application.Volitile If ...

Update complete excel file online
Dear all, Hope you can help me with this problem. An excel file is updated on a daily basis and can only be found on the internet. The basic format of this file is always the same, the only changing aspect is the data. How, or if even possible, could I implement something (e.g. a button?) which automatically implements the updated sheet from the Internet. I am really looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot and best regards, ...

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links

using my Money 2005 file on two different computers
I use MS Money 2005 for my personal financle data. My Money file lives on my computer. I want to have my bookkeeper enter data into this file. I want to be able to have her work on the data from her computer which is networked to my computer. We have tried opening the file from her computer over the network with no sucess. We can see the file but the password does not work. We have tried burning the file to a CD but when we try to open the file from her computer we can get the password to work. The same thing that happens when we try to restore a backup on her computer. We tried usi...