Can't get rid of "Microsoft User Data" folder in Documents Folder

I've tried to move and delete the Microsoft User Data folder which
appears in my main Documents Folder. Every time I use Office VX, it
reapears. Changing the name of the Documents folder didn't work,
Office VX  just created a new one

Does anyone know how to move it to another location? Very grateful for
any suggestions

Thanks

Paul

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:36:29 -0600, Paul Sweeney wrote
(in article <ef3e5d49.0411231636.74f3ad9c@posting.google.com>):

> I've tried to move and delete the Microsoft User Data folder which
> appears in my main Documents Folder. Every time I use Office VX, it
> reapears. Changing the name of the Documents folder didn't work,
> Office VX  just created a new one
>
> Does anyone know how to move it to another location? Very grateful for
> any suggestions

I'm not sure you should..... Office uses this folder for multiple purposes
(including storing the Entourage data).
I've never tried moving it. You could try making an alias or a symlink, but I
don't guarantee that Office won't complain ;-))

	Corentin

--
                    --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) ---
      http://www.mvps.org/         http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

0
korventeen (753)
11/24/2004 1:19:22 AM
Paul Sweeney <paul_sweeney@mac.com> wrote:

> I've tried to move and delete the Microsoft User Data folder which
> appears in my main Documents Folder. Every time I use Office VX, it
> reapears. Changing the name of the Documents folder didn't work,
> Office VX  just created a new one
>
> Does anyone know how to move it to another location? Very grateful for
> any suggestions

Try moving the actual folder to the location of your choice and then
putting an alias (with the original name) of it in ~/Documents. If that
doesn't work, try using a symbolic link instead of an alias.

On 11/23/04 5:19 PM, in article
0001HW.BDC93DBA000E7BE8F04075C0@news.microsoft.com, "Corentin Cras-M�neur"
<korventeen@NoSpam.mvps.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:36:29 -0600, Paul Sweeney wrote
> (in article <ef3e5d49.0411231636.74f3ad9c@posting.google.com>):
>
>> I've tried to move and delete the Microsoft User Data folder which
>> appears in my main Documents Folder. Every time I use Office VX, it
>> reapears. Changing the name of the Documents folder didn't work,
>> Office VX  just created a new one
>>
>> Does anyone know how to move it to another location? Very grateful for
>> any suggestions
>
> I'm not sure you should..... Office uses this folder for multiple purposes
> (including storing the Entourage data).
> I've never tried moving it. You could try making an alias or a symlink, but I
> don't guarantee that Office won't complain ;-))

It doesn't complain. An alias is fine. I keep my MUD folder on another
partition with an alias in the right location, and everything works
perfectly.

Even if you don't use Entourage, you still need the MUD folder. Various
things like Word Wok files are made there. (Also in Office 2004 the Normal
template is kept there too, though not in Office v. X.)

--
Paul Berkowitz
MVP MacOffice

Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
ignored.

PLEASE always state which version of Microsoft Office you are using -
**2004**, X  or 2001. It's often impossible to answer your questions
otherwise.

0
berkowit (221)

Valuable Microsoft User Data folder cannot be risked
In response to a question on what other Office preferences to remove to return to default preferences, a respondent to this newsgroup on Sept. 18 advised: >You missed the biggy at ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data. >Dump that one and you should be good to go. Of course, most of us know that would be an extremely costly mistake. But there may be some who less familiar with Office X. To those individuals who read such "advice," please know that removal of Microsoft User Data would sacrifice your entire Office identities database--all your contacts, notes, tasks, mail, calend...

Can't get rid of "Microsoft User Data" folder in Documents Folder
I've tried to move and delete the Microsoft User Data folder which appears in my main Documents Folder. Every time I use Office VX, it reapears. Changing the name of the Documents folder didn't work, Office VX just created a new one Does anyone know how to move it to another location? Very grateful for any suggestions Thanks Paul On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:36:29 -0600, Paul Sweeney wrote (in article <ef3e5d49.0411231636.74f3ad9c@posting.google.com>): > I've tried to move and delete the Microsoft User Data folder which > appears in my main Documents Folder. Every time ...

Autorecovery & Word Work Files in Microsoft User Data folder. Safe to delete?
In my home folder/Documents/Microsoft User Data folder, there are tons of Autorecovery Files (eg., "Autorecovery Save of Exercise Journal.doc," "Autorecovery Save of Budget.doc," etc.) These are files I haven't modified for several months or even since last year. In addition, there are also lots of Word Work Files with more cryptic names like "Word Work File A_5," "Word Work File A_1496285709," etc. Can I safely delete these Autorecovery files and Word Work Files from my Microsoft User Data folder? In article <C208D725.5B72%delphinshire@yahoo....

How do i get Microsoft User Data folders out of my way / out of my Docs stack??
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, Everytime i launch an Office application i have this Microsoft User Data folders (those with Office identities, Word, Excel, etc profiles) that appear in my Documents stack. I can trash them but they will come back at the next session. It's just not nice to always have it in the way. A Documents stack is a stack for documents, not a dumping ground for Microsoft apps. QUESTION: How do i move this folder to somewhere definite where Office can refer to it as it pleases and it just gets the heck out of my way? Thanks...

Recovering Microsoft User Data
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Email Client: pop Hi there, <br> I've read the discussions on this one but my steps haven't yet righted the problem. I accidently trashed my 2004 user data last night. I have recovered it and moved it into the docs folder alongside the old file calling the new file Microsoft User Data old - but then Entourage keeps replacing it.. What steps should I take to restore my data in Entourage? Thank you! <br><br>Duncan To update: I have a 266MB file called database in my Office 2004 identiti...

Problem importing Microsoft User Data
On my PowerBook (running OS X ver. 10.3.7) I have Microsoft Office X. Originally, I started with Office:Mac 2001 in OS 9 and upgrated to Microsoft Office X when it came out. I have a new iMac where I have installed Microsoft Office X (not Office:Mac 2001 - I haven't installed OS 9 in this computer) and am trying to import my Entourage data (address book, calendar, etc.) and have been unable to do so. Through my network, I have copied the Microsoft User Data folder from the PowerBook into the Users Documents folder on the new iMac. I've restarted after following this procedure. Unfortu...

microsoft user data
i have a folder on my desktop named "microsoft user data". it includes some duplicate information for the ms office suite. it also includes some other information that i can't decide if i need or not. one file is named messages and opens up in entourage. however, i don't know if it is copies of old messages from the previous operating system or not. anyway, i'm confused. can i get rid of these files? jkeller <jkeller@concordia.com> wrote: > i have a folder on my desktop named "microsoft user data". it It's on your desktop ??? Are you sure ...

moving Microsoft User Data
I don't like having a Microsoft User Data directory automatically created under Documents. With previous versions of Office, I was able to move this to Library/Preferences and Office applications would keep Documents uncontaminated. This no longer seems to work under Office 2008. Is there a workaround? On 1/16/08 8:44 PM, in article ee88ec1.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "pk@officeformac.com" <pk@officeformac.com> wrote: > I don't like having a Microsoft User Data directory automatically created > under Documents. With previous versions of Office, I was able to mov...

Microsoft User Data folder
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Is there a reason the Microsoft User Data folder needs to reside in the Documents folder rather than ~/Library/Application Support/ ? I would think that the "Documents" folder would be for user-generated documents and the "Application Support" folder hierarchy would be for application-generated files? Or am I wrong? Secondly, I don't use Entourage (never even launched it once) - so why's the database file 20MB in size? My understanding is that the MUD is where it is because Apple's OS X...

Microsoft User Data folder location ?
Is it possible to relocate this folder from the default location in ~/user/Documents? My wife is making her Mac lighter so she can more easily carry it. ;) And during the deletion of old/unneeded files, she came across this Microsoft folder. Fortunately she hesitated before hitting Delete. ;) Thanks for any suggestions. -- Norm On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 16:11:00 -0500, Norm wrote (in article <FqednUl8M4v5K6LWnZ2dnUVZ_u2dnZ2d@speakeasy.net>): > Is it possible to relocate this folder from the default location in >> /user/Documents? > > My wife is making...

Changing location of Microsoft User Data folder
Hi Is it possible to relocate the Microsoft User Data folder (so that user's are less likely to inadvertently delete it)? Regards - Craig Hi Craig: Ah HAH!! Another sensible fellow like myself :-) I have been campaigning for this through three versions of Office. The good news is: Yes, you can. The bad news is "But it's not a very good idea". The even worse news is "Occasionally, the users need to be able to find it and do things with it. If you hide it, you will get all manner of dysfunctional behaviour, from both the applications and the users." You ...

2004 Office pros+cons of moving Microsoft User Data to 2nd partition? Do any MVPs?
With Office 2004, are there any reasons why one should NOT alias the Microsoft User Data folder, leave the alias in place on the boot partition and move MUD to another partition? Do any of the MVPs do this? Respectfully, Norm Hi Norman, It's people like you who make me stop and think every once in a while about what I am doing. I have a MUD folder at work, another at home. But this is not really the best solution for me. What I should really do is have a single master MUD folder someplace, probably on a network drive that's backed up every day. Then I should sync to local MUD fol...