Can I download the install files if my drive doesn't work?

I purchased Microsoft Office for Mac but the drive on my new laptop
won't read the discs. I'll take my laptop in for warranty service but
in the meantime, can I use the registration codes/numbers on the
package to download the programs and install them this way? I need to
prepare a presentation today or tomorrow and will need Excel and Word
to put the docs together.... the trial versions preinstalled on my
laptop have already expired.

Thanks for your advice and help...

Karen

In article <1173560270.306709.233000@t69g2000cwt.googlegroups.com>,
 kjfisherino@gmail.com wrote:

> I purchased Microsoft Office for Mac but the drive on my new laptop
> won't read the discs. I'll take my laptop in for warranty service but
> in the meantime, can I use the registration codes/numbers on the
> package to download the programs and install them this way? I need to
> prepare a presentation today or tomorrow and will need Excel and Word
> to put the docs together.... the trial versions preinstalled on my
> laptop have already expired.

Hi Karen!

Unfortunately, the Office Test Drive can not be turned into a fully
functional version of Office 2004.

If you have access to another Mac then you can share files on the
installer CD via a network to get them to your laptop.

Hope this helps! bill
--
William M. Smith
(Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows)

I did activate my "test drive" when I first purchased the laptop (and
the term is now expired). But I do not wish to turn the test drive
into the purchased program. I wish to install my purchased MS Office
program separately (I purchased it off the shelf, discs in a box). Are
you saying that because I activated the test drive, I am no longer
able to install a newly purchased version of the program? (on DVD/
CD?)  Is this why the installer is not working (it's greyed out)?
Maybe there is nothing wrong with my disc drive after all?

This is why I asked if I can somehow download the programs from MS
using the registration numbers on the box of my duly purchased
merchandise.

Sorry for my explosion of questions..... I just wanna get this thing
installed and the new package sits here on my desk, taunting me.....

Hi Karen -

I think what Bill was saying is that there isn't any download option
available for Office 2004 - it must be installed from the source disks
regardless of whether you ever even had the Test Drive. The suggestion he
made was that if your drive is bad you might be able to hook up to a network
& install the software from the drive of another Mac.

You must have at least one or two disks that came with the Mac, or maybe
even a music CD or DVD movie. Will your drive read them OK? Otherwise I'm
afraid you're dead in the water if you can't get connected to a working
drive in some way.

I'm a bit confused by the "greyed out"... When you insert the install disk
what exactly happens from that point on? What happens if you double-click
the installer icon?

NOTE: If you do happen to start making progress, make sure to use the Remove
Office utility to correctly remove the Test Drive *before* installing the
purchased software.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/10/07 6:32 PM, in article
1173569560.927946.108920@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com,
"kjfisherino@gmail.com" <kjfisherino@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply, Bill!
>
> I did activate my "test drive" when I first purchased the laptop (and
> the term is now expired). But I do not wish to turn the test drive
> into the purchased program. I wish to install my purchased MS Office
> program separately (I purchased it off the shelf, discs in a box). Are
> you saying that because I activated the test drive, I am no longer
> able to install a newly purchased version of the program? (on DVD/
> CD?)  Is this why the installer is not working (it's greyed out)?
> Maybe there is nothing wrong with my disc drive after all?
>
> This is why I asked if I can somehow download the programs from MS
> using the registration numbers on the box of my duly purchased
> merchandise.
>
> Sorry for my explosion of questions..... I just wanna get this thing
> installed and the new package sits here on my desk, taunting me.....

On 3/10/07 3:32 PM, in article
1173569560.927946.108920@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com,
"kjfisherino@gmail.com" <kjfisherino@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did activate my "test drive" when I first purchased the laptop (and
> the term is now expired). But I do not wish to turn the test drive
> into the purchased program. I wish to install my purchased MS Office
> program separately (I purchased it off the shelf, discs in a box). Are
> you saying that because I activated the test drive, I am no longer
> able to install a newly purchased version of the program? (on DVD/
> CD?)  Is this why the installer is not working (it's greyed out)?
> Maybe there is nothing wrong with my disc drive after all?
>
> This is why I asked if I can somehow download the programs from MS
> using the registration numbers on the box of my duly purchased
> merchandise.
>
> Sorry for my explosion of questions..... I just wanna get this thing
> installed and the new package sits here on my desk, taunting me.....

The test drive cannot be upgraded to full version. It MUST be removed before
installing the paid version. Use "Remove Office" to fully remove the test
drive.

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/remove_office.html>

Many users have had problems removing the test drive and had to run "Remove
Office" several times and/or manually remove it.

More on removing test drive:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/demo.html>

An alternative temporary solution would be to set your clock back to fool
the drive into thinking your time has not expired. Of course, this will play
havoc with all of your email and other data that is time coded.

--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Entourage Help Page

0
dross1571 (196)
3/11/2007 12:31:41 AM
In article <C218B788.20DBC%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net>,
 CyberTaz <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> I'm a bit confused by the "greyed out"... When you insert the install disk
> what exactly happens from that point on? What happens if you double-click
> the installer icon?

My understanding of Karen's problem (correct me if I'm wrong, Karen) is
that although you do have the original disks to reinstall Office you
don't have a working drive to read them. You've tried re-downloading the
Office Test Drive to use that temporarily but it has already been run
once on your computer and has expired.

Once the Test Drive has expired on a machine it can not be re-downloaded
for more use. And it can not be turned into a working copy.

So, what you need to do is find a way to get the Microsoft Office 2004
folder from the CD to your hard drive. This is why I suggest trying to
network your Mac with another to copy the installer. Or if you have an
external hard drive that you can move between machines then you can copy
the installer from the CD to the hard drive on a working machine and
then connect it to your Mac with the failed disk drive.

Hope this helps! bill
--
William M. Smith
(Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows)
0
mecklists1 (142)

concatenate files...
Back in DOS days I could concatenate text files without using a third party tool. Can I do this with XP, Vista, or W7? TIA, Paul "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote: >Back in DOS days I could concatenate text files without using a third party >tool. Can I do this with XP, Vista, or W7? TIA, Paul Yes, the same way you did before: copy file1.txt + file2.txt fileboth.txt Type copy /? at a command prompt to find out all about the copy command. -- Tim Slattery Slattery_T@bls.gov http://members.cox.net/slatteryt Paul H wrote: ...

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Publisher file won't open #2
I worked for three hours then Publsher crashed. I had saved my file, but when I trie to open it it says problem with file, do you want to report it, and then reboots Publisher. How can I save my work? Using Publisher 2003. You may send the file to me. If I can open it I'll save it for you. If it crashes my system, you may be SOL. (Surely out of luck.) If you want to accept my offer, send it to jl dot paules at gmail at com. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Don Smith" <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:r4ns615gkmkm12q5or5nd0k70gac5stjbc@4ax....

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

viewing unreconciled and downloaded transactions
I have Money 03 and want to be able to view unreconciled transactions, along with unapproved downloaded transactions. The problem is that Money automatically marks all my downloaded transactions as reconciled, even if I haven't approved them yet. My only two options are to view unreconciled transactions (which allows me to see only manually entered trans), and to view unnaproved transactions (which allows me to only view the downloaded entries). Is there a way of preventing the downloaded entries from being automatically reconciled? ...

Cannot install lame mp3 on vista x64
Hi, Somebody gave me advice to do: 1. Opening up a command prompt by typing "cmd" in the run box and pressing Ctrl+Shift+Enter (to run as Administrator). 2. Changing directories to sysWOW64 ("cd C:\windows\syswow64") 3. Typing the following (example_path replaced with the actual path to the extracted files), then hit enter: rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 c:\Temp_Folder_Path\codecXXX.inf I did everything and it was looking that it was installed but still in my VirtualDub this codec doesn't exist. Can someo...

How can I rename a database table?

Bugs worked out with XP SP2 and Outlook?
When SP2 just came out, one functionality that existed in Outlook 2003 (while using Word as e-mail editor) didn't work anymore, the icons (in Web Tools toolbar) that allowed embedding of sound, video, and marquee text in e-mail. I wrote about that problem here, and there was a response that that is a known bug, that Microsoft was working on. Has there been a fix for this yet, either through a SP2 update, or an Outlook 2003 update? Are you running Windows XP SP2? I think that is what has broken it (or an update to IE). It's broken in Outlook 2003 too. " MS" <ms@nospa...

Can (or how can) I do this

Writing Text File with code UTF-8
Hello Does somebody know how to write a Text File with code UTF-8 from Dexterity? I know that are 3 functions to write text files: TextFile_Writeline() TextFile_WriteDOS() TextFile_WriteText() But there is not therein a parameter to achieve text file be written with code UTF-8. I=92ll appreciate your guide. Best regards. ------=_NextPart_0001_A41C49B3 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Dexterity does not support double byte or unicode. You might need to use COM or win32 dll calls to get the OS to write the file for you. The difference between WriteLine and WriteDOS i...

Can not archive

Outlook 2003 SP1 upgrade
I have just upgraded Office 2003 to SP1 as well as installing the new junk mail update and my Outlook 2003 rules no loner work when Outlook is open - If I close it and reopen it all the rules then work but any subsequent e-mails that come in while outlook is running do not work. Any ideas as to why this should suddenly start happening? I have even re-created all my rules but to no avail - Before the installation of these updates everything worked fine. Any help would be gratefully received - Regards, Michael Hewson MCP ...

It is possible to install some programs from 2003 with some from 2
I have a student/home edition of Office 2007 and I'd like to install Access from Office 2003. Would that work? Yes, ensure you do a custom install, selecting only Access; however the MS advice is to install earlier component first, update then install later version, but you should be ok "Paul Blay" <PaulBlay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B549DE7-5E88-4498-BD63-58063A211923@microsoft.com... > I have a student/home edition of Office 2007 and I'd like to install > Access > from Office 2003. Would that work? Thank you! ...