Batch convert all .doc TO .docX, .xls TO .xlsX, etc

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Power PC

Sure would be nice to bypass all the clicking and saving if I could find a batch converter to just do the conversion en masse and be done with it. Surely Microsoft, you thought of this, yes?

I can find all the backwards converters I want, including one here on Mactopia...but that's just not what I'm looking for.

Cheers!
Michael
0
GPzMike (2)

Yes, they thought of it.  They even set out to BUILD it...  I was involved
in the planning.  I don't know what happened to that idea: probably ran out
of time and money...

The idea was that the Free converter you get from Mactopia would be
available to Automator (in fact it may already be, I have not checked in OS
10.5...)

And the converter on Mactopia is not a "Backwards" converter, it's
bi-directional (which is very unusual for a Microsoft compatibility pack...)

So if you can find a way to hook it with VBA or AppleScript or Automator,
you have your batch converter.

On the other hand, you may decide not to bother: if you open a document in
2008, it will save in XML by default.  So you could just leave the files as
they are, and convert them as you use them.

Cheers

On 4/03/09 9:50 AM, in article 59b6e62d.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"GPzMike@officeformac.com" <GPzMike@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
> Processor: Power PC
>
> Sure would be nice to bypass all the clicking and saving if I could find a
> batch converter to just do the conversion en masse and be done with it. Surely
> Microsoft, you thought of this, yes?
>
> I can find all the backwards converters I want, including one here on
> Mactopia...but that's just not what I'm looking for.
>
> Cheers!
> Michael

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Sydney, Australia.   mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
3/4/2009 9:35:29 AM
GPzMike@officeformac.com wrote:
> Version: 2008
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
> Processor: Power PC
>
> Sure would be nice to bypass all the clicking and saving if I could find a batch converter to just do the conversion en masse and be done with it. Surely Microsoft, you thought of this, yes?
>
> I can find all the backwards converters I want, including one here on Mactopia...but that's just not what I'm looking for.
>
> Cheers!
> Michael

Hi Michael,

I'm confused. Did you notice that the OpenXML converter on Mactopia has
two modes of operation?  It can do single files, but there's also a
batch mode.

-Jim Gordon
Mac MVP
0
jimg9288 (3)
3/4/2009 8:19:36 PM
Hi Fellas!

Thanks for responding.

I downloaded the Open XML Converter v1.0.2 and messed around with it.

I did notice it does batch conversions, but when I tried to drag a .xls onto the program to be converted into .xlsx it rejected the file ('unrecognized file').

Both of you can't be wrong which means I'm being a bad software user and missing something obvious. I just don't know what that is...haha...

Ideas? Maybe I just plain got the wrong software?

Cheers!
Michael
0
GPzMike (2)

Newbie (/ possible convert) Questions
Hi, I'm a current windows/pc user looking into the new iMac G5. I've got a few basic questions to help me decide if I should make the switch: Are there any compatibility issues between Windows Office (including older versions) and Microsoft OfficeMac 2004? The iMac G5 runs Panther OS, does Windows Office Mac 2004 take advantage of the 64bit processing? How do users find the upgrade path of software etc for Mac app's? Is it good or are you hung out to dry at every OS or hardware upgrade/release? I am using the usual word and excel apps and some video editing now and then, and ...

Payables batch entry problem
Hi everyone, Our payables dept has a problem with Payables Batch Entry where when they edit an existing or enter a new batch and then select computer check as the origin the post option gets grayed out. They're claiming it never was like that and that happened just recently. What could be the cause of it? I've checked the posting options under setup and nothing sticks out at me. I've also checked for stuck batches or anything that might be suspect. Thanks, -- Jim Bourque Jim, Cheque Batches do not get Posted from the Batch Entry Window, they need ...

Batch processing
I'm trying to program batch order processing for our company, but can't find info on how to do that with RMS. What would be helpful is diagram of the tables and fields that are updated when a transaction is closed. Or some documentation! Anyone know? ...

W2003, batch converter wizard: call from cmd (batch)
Hi, Working with Word 2003. I have installed the batch converter wizard and all is well. I would like to create a batch file that opens Word, calls the wizard and runs with a defined configuration, eg convert Word doc to xml, predefined source and target folders, select all. I can run a batch file to open the wizard, thus.. echo off "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033\Batch Conversion Wizard.Wiz" .... but I am still faced with manually selecting conversion type, sourc e and target folders, select all. I tried recording a macro calling the wizard a...

how do i make the days (monday, Tuesday etc...) appear
It's controlled by your long date settings in windows. Go to control panel, regional settings and change it to include dddd in the date format. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "chris_duf" <chris_duf@discussions.microsoft.com>...

converting time to integer
I'm need a difference in time as minutes for a pivot table. Here's the problem. I've set a column (difference) as time1 - time2 and formated difference as [mm] which shows me the correct number of minutes. I need to convert this column to an integer so that I can group it in a pivot table meaningfully. I've tried =text(difference, "000") but it doesn't work 483 minutes comes out as .34 blah, blah, blah -- I assuming it's giving me the fraction of a day. How do I convert the text of the difference column into an integer in the next column? Thanks I...

Missing Check Batch (Batch not hitting GL)
My client is on GP 8 and this happened 2 times already. Basically they post a batch of computer checks, they are set to post through to GL. They got an error about glpostcleanup and the batch became stuck in Batch Recovery. We 'freed' up the batch but afterwards it is nowhere to be found. The batch is not in Post Checks, not in GL Batches, not in SY00500. In both instances we had to post the checks in Bank Rec to GL. The checks did not hit BR either. This is starting to worry me. GP said to run the special upgrade procedure in GP Utilities and I ran this before my client ...

Personal macro workbook and personal.xls
Yet another question on this topic. I cannot create a macro in my personal macro workbook as it comes up with the error message "Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder must stay open for recording". I have searched c: for the personal.xls file and it doesn't exist - checked start up folder and not there. I have detect and repaired excel. I have checked disabled items. I have checked hide/unhide. Can anyone help me?? am I missing something obvious? Cheers When you looked for personal.xls, did you look for hidden files and through hidden folders? Maybe looking again ...

cant open a xls file in excel sheet
Hello Sir, In my PC i have installed office 2000,from past two weeks i was unable to open a file and importing option is not working in my excel sheets. Please give me the feed back. Thanking you sudarshan. Hi what kind of error do you exactly get -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany sudarshan wrote: > Hello Sir, > In my PC i have installed office 2000,from past > two weeks i was unable to open a file and importing option > is not working in my excel sheets. > Please give me the feed back. > Thanking you > sudarshan. ...

Converting to and from Cartesian coordinates to Latitude and longi
Hi. I need to be able to set coordinate to some latitude and longitude origin and then as I drop object convert its Cartesian coordinate to lat and long. Any one has how I can do that? Thanks abahrami Some pointers: http://bvisual.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!3350D61BC93733A9!752.entry http://bvisual.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!3350D61BC93733A9!135.entry http://visualsignals.typepad.co.uk/vislog/2009/03/visio-and-virtual-earth.html "abahrami" <abahrami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:30D76A85-3012-42E0-B580-848B5C57A4AF@microsoft.com... > Hi. > I need to...

Some Mac 2004 Word docs crash Windows 2003 Word
Systems: PowerBook with Panther 10.3.5, Office 2004. Windows XP with Office 2003. I have only four docs to test, but each behaved the same. Say that I am given a Word doc of unknown version; some in the office have Office 2003, some have earlier Office. If I open the file in Mac Office 2004, save, and then move it to Windows Office 2003, Word will crash seconds after opening it. If I take the same original file > save as RTF in Mac > move to Windows, it works okay. I can (almost) accept that, even though I consider it unacceptable behavior, if you know what I mean. But get t...

Previously Closed Bills in Quickbooks Reappear during RMS Batch Po
I am seeing previously posted and closed bills in Quickbooks Premier 2008 reappear during later posts of new batches from RMS. Anybody seen this one? Thanks, Richard ...

How to convert Excel to ASCII file?
I have a large Excel file with many columns and rows. I need to convert it to an ASCII file that has each file separated by commas and with each field surrounded by double quotation marks. Can anyone guide me as to how to do this? Many thanks, CJN, You can save the file (File - Save As) specifying csv or txt as the file type ("Save as type" at bottom of dialog). Neither, as far as I know, will put quote marks around all fields -- only those with a field delimiter (comma) or text qualifier (quote marks) in the actual data. Quote marks around all fields aren't normally needed...

Re-number credit card batch for settling
Had a problem settling a credit card batch due to duplicate batch number. Credit card company (paymentech) keeps saying we have to re-number our batch. Batch is already gone as "settled" on my side. No error came back as "duplicate". Didn't know till we called processor. \ Also, would like duplicate receipt for debit card without a signature line and without pressing reprint. How to? Thanks Roxanne, Make a backup first. Do it again and store it somewhere else just to be safe. Contact Paymentech and find out what batch number they are looking for. *** CAUTION ...

convert mbf to mny
Hello everyone, Hopefully someone can lend me a hand, a associate of mine backuped his money data to a floppy disk in the mbf format, he then reformatted his machine and reloaded xp and money onto it. He tried to restore the disk and found the data corrupt. I used a commercial program to retrieve the mbf file from the floppy disk but money tells me that the file is corrupt and wont import it. I know money has a built in program to recover corrupt data, but it only seems to work with mny files, is there a way i can convert the mbf to mny so I can run the recovery software on it? Or do...

Creating a batch file for Inventory Adjustments
I'd like to import the results of our physical inventory into an Inventory Adjustment batch. Can someone explain how to do this? The batch will consist of approx 1,000 records. Are you using a stock count schedule? if so, there is no way to do this directly. You could directly import the data into the SQL table - Ask your partner for assistance in this if you are not a DBA. HS "MrMark" <MrMark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B88E26CD-2503-4844-9AA9-94003208556A@microsoft.com... > I'd like to import the results of our physical inventory into...

How do I stop an old doc. appearing everytime I open Word?
When opening Word to create a new doc. an old document appears every time. I want to be able to open with a blank document like normal! http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/BlankDocNotBlank.htm -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Annie" <Annie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E905080C-8A2A-42EE-846F-A11D9F202E9B@microsoft.com... > When opening Word to create a new doc. an old document appears every time. > I > want to be able to open with a blank document like...

how to type-to-match filenames, etc. on os/x?
I would like to be able to open a dialog box in, say, Word or Entourage, and begin typing to match a file or folder name. In fact, if I type one letter, it matches the first letter, but only the first. For example, in Entourage, I'd like to be able to: 1. Select a message. 2. Command-shift-M (i.e., go to mailboxes) 3. type "ack" to get to the file or folder named "acknowledgements" rather than just getting to the "a" files/folders and then cursoring/mousing down past aa, ab, and other ac files. Is this possible? ...

New to CRM
I have imported my Outlook Contacts into CRM and now that they are in, how do I convert some to Accounts or do I have to retype them? I have some head office locations that I want at the Account and can associate the contacts with that Account as subaccounts. I can't seem to find a way. Am running the Sales for Outlook Client. Also, could not see a way to do this, can I import any other Contact folder other than the main Contacts? That way you could separate out those you want left in Outlooks Contacts and those to import. Thanks! Shauna With regard to the first question, yo...

revenue expense deferral, recurring batches
If there is a transaction that happens monthly - and there is a need to defer these, it will be very helpful is the RED feature can be available for use in recurring batches. Currently, this is not possible and it becomes inconvenient to keep on entering transactions that happen on a regular basis. Quick journals are no help as you can not defer transactions on them as well. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you...

batch marked for deletion
We have a batch that was accidentally partially deleted. we removed all sales from the batch to another batch and now when we try to delete the batch it says the batch is being edited by another user and yet it is not and it will not let us delete it from the sales batch window. Jeremey, You didn't indicate your version or platform, so this may or may not apply, but have you looked at the ClearBatchActivity.exe automated solution in CustomerSource? This generally will release the status of stuck batches, and its easy to run. Just be sure to read the notes carefully to be sure it ...

Possible to embed non-Office files in Word docs?

Unable to recover Payables Batch through Batch Recovery.
We are unable to recover a Payables Batch we attempted to post by using Batch Recovery. When we get to the Batch Recovery screen we marked the Payables Batch and clicked on continue. When we did this we got the following error message "An open operation on table 'PM_Distribution_WORK_OPEN_TRX' has an incorrect record length." After clicking on OK we were prompted to return to Batch Recovery. When we returned to Batch Recovery we marked the Payables Batch again and clicked on continue. We then received a second error message that read as follows "An open opera...

wich advantage to convert access 2000 to 2003 for my program?
hi i have more program created with vb.net and access 2000 as database i would like convert this databases on versione 2003 or 2007 if i shoud do it, wich adavantage i take for this conversion? security? more running? or other? thanks If the front end is VB.NET application, you will not gain any advantage from converting the back end from an Access 2000 mdb to an Access 2002/3 format mdb. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Amodio" <Amo...

Batch Invoice Entry
Hello, Please inform me about the following: wrt: 1 an invoice is saved in a batch from the window "Invoice Entry" 2. an invoice is saved in a batch from the window "Sales Transaction Entry" Now I would like to a. post the tranactions in the batch b. void the transaction. Hence, in case of 1 & 2 for a) & b) what are the tables that will be affected. I need to export these data using ODBC/trigger on these tables. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in anticipation, Regards, Samik. ...