Applications Responding Slowly on iMac with Intel

I just purchased the new iMac with the Intel processor.  (I am also a
new Mac user.)  When I am using Microsoft Office, everything is
responding slowly.  For example, it can take 30-45 seconds to launch
Excel.  Also, when I'm executing certain actions within the
applications, I sometimes get the "beachball" icon and everything is
moving slowly overall.  Applecare has no anwers for me, and I've taken
the computer into the store for a diagnostic and everything came out
clean with respect to my hardware.  Has anyone else had this problem?

You didn't specify, but I'm assuming you're running Office 2004. Even
so, it *does not run native on the IntelMac systems, but employs the
Rosetta emulator (even though Apple says it isn't one). I haven't
worked with that config, myself, but the reports I've seen indicate
that there should *not* be any noticeable degradation in performance if
all is as it should be otherwise. I'm pretty sure you're dealing with
an OS software issue, not hardware, but it's surprising that wasn't
checked out at the same time.

Make sure you have the latest updates for Office as well as Mac OS -
even tho it's a new system, updates come out frequently... sometimes
while the unit is still on Apple's loading dock waiting to be shipped.

Also, use Disk Utility to Repair Disk Permissions before & after any OS
updates and after any program installations/removals. Post back with
your results as well as whether this is occuring with any other
(non-Office) programs you may have.

A couple other things to check in the meantime - If you have iDisk make
sure you do not have it set for automatic synch & that Spotlight isn't
set to index your files. Both can be handled through AppleMenu>System
Preferences.

HTH |:>)

Hello Jeremy,

I'd consider that to be abnormal.  (Not that these are official benchmarks)
On my 20" 2 ghz Intel iMac Core Duo with only 512 megs of RAM, Excel 11.2
launches and is ready for use in <7 seconds after I've run and quit it at
least once. Do you have a lot of running apps which are actively doing
something at the time?  What if you reboot, launch Excel, quit Excel
(Command-Q), then launch it again?

After trying CyberTaz's suggestions, if you're still having issues. I'd run
Activity Monitor (found in Applications/Utilities).  Select All Processes in
the drop down near the top and then sort by % of CPU.  Make a note if what's
chewing up CPU time (if any).

I'd also run top to see how much your machine is swapping/paging:  See
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/lackofram.html under "Determine how much paging
your system is performing" for instructions.

I'd be curious to know if the number within parenthesis right before
pageouts is consistently high (say 25 or greater) while you're hitting
slowness.  The numbering I'm referring is 25 in this example:
7420(25) pageouts

If you want more help on top's command line switches, do a "man top" [w/o
quotes] while in Terminal.

Let us know what you find out.

Andrew

<jeremy_swinson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased the new iMac with the Intel processor.  (I am also a
> new Mac user.)  When I am using Microsoft Office, everything is
> responding slowly.  For example, it can take 30-45 seconds to launch
> Excel.  Also, when I'm executing certain actions within the
> applications, I sometimes get the "beachball" icon and everything is
> moving slowly overall.  Applecare has no anwers for me, and I've taken
> the computer into the store for a diagnostic and everything came out
> clean with respect to my hardware.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Clicking one application's buttons from another application
Hello, I'd like to write an application that can click the buttons of another application running on the same machine. All my application knows about the target application is its name, the name of the window containing the buttons, and the name of the buttons. Can someone further my education in this matter in some way. Thanks, Ray Mitchell This is tricky, but possible. I actually do it in a little utility I wrote to move Outlook filters down, since the "Move Down" button doesn't autorepeat and when you have 850 anti-spam filters it becomes a bit unwieldy. What yo...

Application exiting with return Code 3 and ExitInstance not called neither destructors
Hey Friends It seems that i have done something very mysterious as my Application is exiting with return Code 3 and ExitInstance is not not called neither destructors. Plz Help "Vikrant_kpr" <bhatia.manish@netsity.com> wrote in message news:f62362ec.0307170549.7af528cf@posting.google.com... > Hey Friends > It seems that i have done something very mysterious as my Application > is exiting with return Code 3 and ExitInstance is not not called > neither access violation? Dear Antonio Mazzeo I have corrected the problem,it was causing due to Splash Screen Compone...

running another application from my application
Hello, I have an MDI application that on a specific case runs a 3rd party application. I use PeekMessage so my application will be drawn corretly while working on the 3rd party app. I want to prevent the user from doing anything in my application while te 3rd party app is running, until the user closes the 3rd party application. Also I want my application to be shown correctly (handle WM_PAINT, WM_DRAW etc.). Currently my application is displayed very well, but the user may do things in my application while the 3rd party app is running. I use the following code (pseuo): BOOL bRetVal = CreateP...

VERY slow to Respond a Mouse
Hi: This morning, it's VERY slow to respond a mouse when I click to either 'close' or 'open' upon clicking 'X' at the far top corner of the screen. Until yesterday, it was no problem by using 'X' to close, open and other tasks. One thing I did yesterday was I loaded many, hundreds more of pictures. Thanks for any clue on this, above. MapleE. wrote: > Hi: > This morning, it's VERY slow to respond a mouse when I click to either > 'close' or 'open' upon clicking 'X' at the far top corner of the scre...

Ideas for a Dept Level Application Support
We have an IT group that supports 50 applications and they wish to capture support time by application during course of the year. During the course of a week, any application or combination of applications can have support requests, so it is different week to week and not predictable. Essentially we are looking to park the time with appropriate application after the work is complete. We are using Project Server 2007 and have investigated the following: 1. Created a Annual Support workplan with a task per application in Project Pro with the IT group added as Enterprise resourc...

DLLs being loaded for all applications
I get the following warning at system startup: "Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications." How do I review the list of libraries and how do I eliminate any that should be removed? ...

Help in creating dialog based application
Hi, I am creating a dialog based application which has a main dialog with 3 buttons. 1. Address Book 2. Student List 3. Course List with which i can go to any one of the screens(which is again the dialog). when i click address book button my main dialog should be hidden/closed and i should open the address book dialog which has again some button to navigate back to main dialog/student list/course list. same kind of functionality for other two dialogs(student/course list). i thought of creating all the 3 dialogs as modeless and main dialog as parent but how i will inform the parent window to ...

Converting Console Application to win32 application
I have created an MFC console application. When I run it from Windows Explorer it opens a dos box and closes the box when it terminates it logic. Is it possible to convert it so it won't open the dos box - just run without any display? If positive, please help me regarding the steps. Thanks Kalish I am not sure if you can compile MFC with a standard win32 application, but if you can, then you can simply change your main to a WinMain, and you will have the result you want. Create a Win32 Project using the Wizard, and selection Windows Application, to see an example. Remove everthing ...

is there a hotel management excel application?
The subject says is all... TIA Martyn Hi Martyn, See response to your thread in Programming. --- Regards, Norman "Cheker" <zoomer@gmail.com> wrote in message news:eNJLsRRqEHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > The subject says is all... > TIA > Martyn > > > ...

MSMQ ... authenticating application
A number of application stores messages in MSMQ. One of the server application needs to read messages that was created/stored by specific applications not to read all the messages in MSMQ. Is there any workarounds? Thank you Regards Raj "Raj" <Raj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6917708E-88B1-497B-A888-5038ACEA17CE@microsoft.com... >A number of application stores messages in MSMQ. One of the server > application needs to read messages that was created/stored by specific > applications not to read all the messages in MSMQ. > ...

DLL
Is there any way to detect when an application that is calling my dll is about to be destroyed? I need to close several files if the calling application has not done so, therefore I need to detect when the calling application is about to be destroyed and clean up the files and variables I have used in the dll. You need to implement DllMain, the handle your cleanup tasks when you receive a PROCESS_DETACH notification. Check out: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/_core_initialize_non.2d.mfc_dlls.asp "Joe Estock" <jestock@NOSPAMnutexto...

MFC applications and Visual C++'s newer editions
Hello. When it comes to Win32, Visual Studio .NET 2005 Express Edition Beta 2 only allows the creation of console-based applications. What if one wanted to create MFC-based applications and, at the same time, be able to take advantage of the powerful and conforming C++ compiler that comes with the package? I hope that resorting to Visual C++ 6.0 is not the only option. Thank you, -- Ney Andr� de Mello Zunino "Ney Andr� de Mello Zunino" <zunino@inf.ufsc.br> wrote in message news:%23FuRyAcXFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hello. > > When it comes to Win32, Vi...

Telnet application
Greets, Quick question.... If I was to write a VB6 app for configuring an IP device using Telnet, would it be more advantageous to use the Winsock control, or the INet control for the telnet session ? The device has the telnet server, I just need to write a GUI that uses telnet as a client to communicate with the device, and then present the configuration info in a typical GUI way. TIA, DanS "DanS" <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m> wrote in message news:Xns9CEA5E17494CEthisnthatroadrunnern@216.196.97.131... > Greets, > > Quick...

Using MABLE logic engine with existing .NET applications.
Using MABLE logic engine with existing .NET applications. MABLE web services provide an interface to MABLE business objects and logic. Let us review some technical details of the MABLE web services. � MABLE utilizes SOAP 1.2 protocol. � MABLE uses AXIS 1.4 as a web service transport. � MABLE support state-full conversations by implementing a conversation session. In this small article we will create a client application that use the MABLE 'Store' application MABLE Web Service client has to maintain a state-full conversation with the MABLE engine. The best way to handle this is...

Hiding application
Hello, How can I hide my application from the user? I don't want him to see it in Task Manager, Task Bar, etc. Regards, Vladimir. "Vladimir" <genisoft@ufacom.ru> wrote in message news:ueUr72idDHA.736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > How can I hide my application from the user? I don't want him to see it > in > Task Manager, Task Bar, etc. Make it a service. -- -GJC -Software Consultant (Embedded systems and Real Time Controls) -gchanson@mvps.org -Abolish public schools It'll be still visibled, and killable by administrator - li...

Money 2002 deluxe and business runs very slowly
If have MS money 2002 Deluxe and business and find that it is running slower and slower all the time. How do I get it to run like it did when it was new? ...

Change 1 dialog application to 2 dialogs applications?
Hi, I have made a mfc dialog based application. Now I want to change it to 2 dialogs, one wizzard and one classic, and i want the 2 dialog can call each other. So I change the codes in App::InitInstance() { ..... while (CGlobal::Get()->m_eView!=CGlobal::Quit) { WizzardDlg dlg0; CClassicDialog dlg1; CDialog *pdlg=0; if (CGlobal::Get()->m_eView==CGlobal::Wizzard) { pdlg = &dlg0; } else if (CGlobal::Get()->m_eView==CGlobal::Classic) { pdlg = &dlg1; } m_pMainWnd = pdlg; int nResponse = pdlg->DoModal(); } I found DoModal() only launch the dialog s...

Spontaneous application exit
We have an MFC dialog based application that has up to 100 threads reading data from different sources over TCP/IP and then storing the data into an oracle database. Database updates are realtively infrequent (maybe once or twice a scond overall). We are having problems with the application just exiting. Sometimes it will run for days, sometimes for just a few hours. The user is definitely not exiting the application. We have try/catch sections around most code and around each thread which isn't getting triggered and we detect memory allocation failures (which aren't happenin...

Application crashes at start-up
Hi A new framework 3.5 Winform db app that works fine on two pcs, crashes on one particular pc at start-up. The app has application framework enabled and I have assigned a splash form and a main form. The splash form appears for around 20 second but then app crashes with message "<app name> has encountered a problem and need top close..." and wants to send a report to MS. I have trapped the MyApplication_UnhandledException but it does not get triggered as far as I can tell. Older framework 1.1/vs2003 apps work fine on this pc. The only obvious difference I can see...

Cannot start SBS Web Applications
2008 SBS Server Migrated from 2003 SBS Server SBS Web Applications will not start, "This website cannot be started. Another web site may be using the same port" Goal: get OWA working without needed to trick IIS This problem has been ongoing since the install of 2008 SBS server. Currently IIS will not automatically start SBS Web Applications due to the Default Web Site and SBS Web Applications using the same HTTPS bindings. The only way I have managed to get them to work is change the bindings to 444, start it, then change it back to 443. This only works until IIS is re...

Images in email load very slowly, even if from safe sender
I was using the Live Mail desktop client for awhile but I needed more PIM features (the recent Calendar integration into Live mail is a nice touch but it's not enough) so I switched to Outlook 2007. I'm liking it a lot so far, does everything I need and more for school- but I'm noticing that emails with a lot of images - which have been marked by me as coming from a 'Safe Sender' still take several seconds to load the images. Compared to the instantaneous loading of these same images from the very same list of 'Safe Senders' in Live Mail Desktop, I cannot help but ...

after upgrading from money 2003 to money 2008 no respond
I used money 2003 for about 4 years & the past few weeks I could download History via ofx from my bank & could see the statement had down load but could not get to the download so per Microsoft tech. I upgraded to Money plus a week ago & since then when I try to open money plus & sign in it shows signing in & downloading files but screen goes white & money will not respond. I left it on all night one night & it did end up showing files the next morning but the hour glass still showed & the program still would not respond. Has anyone had this problem. I've do...

How to register my application
I have a application I want to register that application with the current operating system. I do not wish to use Installationshields or anything else. because It is a downloadable instance and using installation shields will increase the size by 200KB. I wish to do that one programattically using VC++. I wish to get the application to the program file list and get the application in the add remove programs Can any body guide me ? Thanks Anup There is no concept of "registering" an application unless it is automation-enabled. The rest is just "installing" it. The...

Application object of a running application
Dear All, I have developed a MFC dialog based application. In this applicaion I am detecting running instance of the application by using mutex object. HANDLE hMutex; hMutex = CreateMutex(NULL, TRUE, "App.exe"); if(GetLastError() ==ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS) { // Mutex exists so there is a running instance of app hMutex = NULL; break; } However If my application is already running I want to get the application object and need to call some methods using application object(CWinApp,CDialog). Please suggest how do I achieve this. Thanks in advance. "Ajay ...

Running Windows Media Player from MFC Application Query?
Hi all I am making an application in which i displaying in a list control all the mp3 files belonging to a folder selected by the user. I want to add the following functionality. As soon as the user double clicks on any of the displayed MP3 file, i want to invoke the windows Media Player and play that MP3 file. Now how i invoke the Windows Media Player for my MFC Application? Waiting for suggestions Regards ...