2004 Word, Entourage, Excel "Help" text selections: how copy to Notes? #2

How does one highlight and then copy text from Help components of Office
2004's Word, Excel and Entourage?

"Select all" and "copy" are grayed out and command-c and command-a do not
work  with "Help" text in any of the Office 2004 components.

If there were some way to copy and paste these selections into Entourage
Notes, one could do boolean searches for multiple criteria within "Help"
notes.

This also would allow  one to add his or her notations to the "Help"
passages copied into Notes.  It would also make it possible to put the
user's synonyms or terms in subject lines for easy Find operations.

Am I missing something here?

Respectfully, Norm

(The original of this post was "lost" and did not appear on the Microsoft
News Server, although it appeared at the newsgroup's Google site.}

0
nnager1050 (113)

On 9/14/04 5:58 PM, in article
BD6CE1B9.4A38%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu, "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D."
<nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote:

> How does one highlight and then copy text from Help components of Office
> 2004's Word, Excel and Entourage?
>
> "Select all" and "copy" are grayed out and command-c and command-a do not
> work  with "Help" text in any of the Office 2004 components.
>
> If there were some way to copy and paste these selections into Entourage
> Notes, one could do boolean searches for multiple criteria within "Help"
> notes.
>
> This also would allow  one to add his or her notations to the "Help"
> passages copied into Notes.  It would also make it possible to put the
> user's synonyms or terms in subject lines for easy Find operations.
>
> Am I missing something here?
SIMPLE WORKAROUND!

Jim Gordon's response to my  other question on magnifying small-size Office
Help text also serves as the jumping off point for a workaround to copying
text from Office's "Help" to Entourage Notes.

In his answer on the other topic, Jim said:

". . .  print the help topics as PDF files and open them in Acrobat Reader
or Preview and use the zoom feature in those
applications."

Here's the workaround that sprang from Jim's idea:

1. When on the Help topic one wishes to excerpt in Entourage Notes, hide or
send to the dock all other open windows but the open Help page.

2.  Click on Save As and then select PDF document.

3.  Open with Apple Preview (it launches faster than Adobe Reader).

4. Highlight all or some of the text, copy that selection, and paste it into
an Entourage Note.

5.  Include in subject lines a couple keywords that will make it easy to
find in an Entourage search for either one or more criteria.

And I just copied this 5-step workaround into an Entourage Note but wished
to share it with others following this thread.

Respectfully, Norm

0
nnager1050 (113)
9/15/2004 4:24:08 AM
In article <BD6CE1B9.4A38%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu>,
 "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote:

> How does one highlight and then copy text from Help components of Office
> 2004's Word, Excel and Entourage?
>
> "Select all" and "copy" are grayed out and command-c and command-a do not
> work  with "Help" text in any of the Office 2004 components.

Copying Help works for me using the mouse to select the text and CMD-c
to copy it...

Occasionally, there seems to be a focus problem where CMD-c no longer
works. Closing and opening the app cures the problem.

For instance, here's a paste of part of the Help page for Word Help's
"Field codes: Bookmark and Ref fields" topic:

=====================

Field codes: Bookmark and Ref fields
{ [REF] Bookmark [Switches ] }
Inserts the text or graphics represented by the specified bookmark. The
bookmark must be defined in the active document. To insert bookmarked
text or graphics from another document, use the INCLUDEPICTURE or
INCLUDETEXT field. The Cross-reference command (Insert menu) inserts REF
fields to create cross-references.
The BOOKMARK field is an abbreviated form of the REF field and isn't
available in the Field dialog box (Insert menu). If a bookmark name (for
example, "Title") matches a Word field name (TITLE), you must use the
REF field. The field { REF Title } inserts the text represented by the
"Title" bookmark, whereas the field { Title } inserts the contents of
the Title box on the Summary tab in the Properties dialog box (File
menu). In most cases, you can use the bookmark name instead of the REF
field.
Note   When you insert text copied from another location in the same
document, the Paste Special command (Edit menu) inserts a REF field with
the bookmark INTER_LINKn, where n is incremented automatically. You
should not edit an INTER_LINKn bookmark in a REF field. Also note that
REF fields with INTER_LINKn bookmarks in a data merge main document can
cause errors during merging.

=======================
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/15/2004 4:36:18 AM
On 9/14/04 9:36 PM, in article
jemcgimpsey-8449FD.22361814092004@msnews.microsoft.com, "JE McGimpsey"
<jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote:

> In article <BD6CE1B9.4A38%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu>,
>  "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote:
>
>> How does one highlight and then copy text from Help components of Office
>> 2004's Word, Excel and Entourage?
>>
>> "Select all" and "copy" are grayed out and command-c and command-a do not
>> work  with "Help" text in any of the Office 2004 components.
>
> Copying Help works for me using the mouse to select the text and CMD-c
> to copy it...
>
> Occasionally, there seems to be a focus problem where CMD-c no longer
> works. Closing and opening the app cures the problem.

Aha!  It always failed for me when I   highlighted with the mouse and used
command-c   in  Entourage's Help and in  Word's Help.  I just tested and
command-c failed to copy in both programs.  Then I quit out of each and
re-launched.  Voila!  It copied.  And then, without re-launching, command-c
worked in Excel without quitting.

Jim, could the failure to work without quitting and re-launching of Word or
Entourage a bug or is what you shared in this thread a workaround to a void
in Office's programming?   Either way, I was wondering whether it has been
reported to Microsoft?

Thanks very much for your responsiveness and sharing of ideas, Jim.

Respectfully, Norm

0
nnager1050 (113)
9/15/2004 5:00:26 AM
I wish to apologize to J.E. McGimpsey for accidentally addressing him as
"Jim" twice in the same message.  The moment I pressed the "send" button I
realized I had erred.   It's no excuse that I had just sent a couple notes
responding to Jim Gordon.  I think I'll just fall back on saying that I'm
sorry.  Norm
Corrected version follows:

<jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote:

> In article <BD6CE1B9.4A38%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu>,
>  "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote:
>
>> How does one highlight and then copy text from Help components of Office
>> 2004's Word, Excel and Entourage?
>>
>> "Select all" and "copy" are grayed out and command-c and command-a do not
>> work  with "Help" text in any of the Office 2004 components.
>
> Copying Help works for me using the mouse to select the text and CMD-c
> to copy it...
>
> Occasionally, there seems to be a focus problem where CMD-c no longer
> works. Closing and opening the app cures the problem.

Aha!  It always failed for me when I   highlighted with the mouse and used
command-c   in  Entourage's Help and in  Word's Help.  I just tested and
command-c failed to copy in both programs.  Then I quit out of each and
re-launched.  Voila!  It copied.  And then, without re-launching, command-c
worked in Excel without quitting.

J.E., could the failure to work without quitting and re-launching of Word or
Entourage a bug or is what you shared in this thread a workaround to a void
in Office's programming?   Either way, I was wondering whether it has been
reported to Microsoft?

Thanks very much for your responsiveness and sharing of ideas, J.E.

Respectfully, Norm

0
nnager1050 (113)
9/15/2004 5:11:02 AM
In article <BD6D1CF6.4AD3%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu>,
 "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote:

> I wish to apologize to J.E. McGimpsey for accidentally addressing him as
> "Jim" twice in the same message.  The moment I pressed the "send" button I
> realized I had erred.

Don't apologize. By using my initials, I deserve whatever
misidentification I get. One of the regular posters in m.p.excel* groups
has referred to me as Jim for nearly a year. And of course, confounding
me and Jim Gordon is far more flattering to me than to Jim...

> could the failure to work without quitting and re-launching of Word or
> Entourage a bug or is what you shared in this thread a workaround to a void
> in Office's programming?   Either way, I was wondering whether it has been
> reported to Microsoft?

AFAIC, it's a bug. I thought that I had reported it earlier as a bug,
but I can't find the report, so I'll resubmit it. I'd also encourage you
to submit Help/Feedback...
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Help Please #7
I need a formula that I can put in a cell to count the number of times certain word appears in a column of cells. If column A1 to say A50 ha the word "pass" in 10 different cells then that is the sum I need t know. Even if the other cells are blank or contains a different word. Thanks for any Help. It is always greatly appreciated -- mikeee ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikeeee's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1461 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26424 ...

Need help with Indirect
I have a formula derived from concatenation as follows: =CONCATENATE("OFFSET([master1.xls]x1!A1,",B2,",7)") which gives me the result: OFFSET([master1.xls]x1!A1,2,7) I am trying to use INDIRECT to return the value in the cell given by this formula by using: =INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("OFFSET([master1.xls]x1!A1,",B2,",7)")) However, when do this, I get a #REF! error. I'm puzzled because the direct formula itself is: OFFSET([master1.xls]x1!A1,2,7) which works fine and appears identical to my concatenated result (unless I'm missing something...

Tennis Scorecard Help
The ultimate goal is to rank each player after each match so that I know from week to week who the top three are. After the matches, we are going to do a tournament and it would be cool if I could maintain it and know the minute the last match was played, I'd know how to set up the tournament. Two out of three sets to win. Column Headings (maybe): Name (plain text) Score Set 1 (number 0-6) Score Set 2 (number 0-6) Score Set 3 (only if needed) Matches Won (If there are 2 6's in any of the scores cells, consider it a win and input a 1?) Matches Lost (same a...

Help
I have seven command buttons on a worksheet, all named differently and all running different procedures when clicked. For some strange reason every now and then six of them disappear. I have no idea why, any suggestions please? It may be that your screen isn't wide enough to display them all. Look on the right side for an icon like >>>>, click on it, and see if the "missing" icons reappear. "canary" <canary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB61571A-B333-475A-A681-342F86D4BD7F@microsoft.com... > I have seven command buttons on a w...

message "fixed objects will move" HELP!
Dear experts, after spending 3 weeks working on macros for a long workbook I had finally reached what I wanted. i have just realized now that, when autofiltering on one worksheet, I am getting now the warning "fixed objects will move" which I have to click on hundreds of times to get rid of! Odd enough not to appear any longer once all items in the autofilter list have been selected once. Can you please help me with this? I am getting really depressed as the work was ready... I have also tried to look at previous posts and the hint could be that I have many comments...

Event ID 481
I'm receiving Event ID 481 during backup on both the priv1.stm and pub1.stm files. These same errors are appearing on all 3 of my Exchange 2000 SP2 servers! Please help! Event Type: Error Event Source: ESE Event Category: General Event ID: 481 Date: 11/1/2004 Time: 12:55:02 PM User: N/A Computer: server name Description: Information Store (2604) An attempt to read from the file "E:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.stm" at offset 0 (0x0000000000000000) for 65536 (0x00010000) bytes failed with system error 87 (0x00000057): "The parameter is incorrect. ". The read operatio...

Query Formula error. Help!
I entered this into a query. It says it is to complex or typed incorrect. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thank you in advance. Paperwork Expires: IIf([ClassroomID]="Kool Kidz" And (Format([Date],"mmdd")>901),DateSerial(Year([Date])- (CLng(Format([Date],"mmdd"))>901),9,1),DateAdd("yyyy",1,[Date])) Do you have a field named Date? Poor if you do, can cause problems as it is a reserved word. Is it a DateTime datatype? Format([Date],"mmdd") for a DateTime field will result in 1001 for today (10/01/2007). You have a single I...

Excell help
What does it mean if you see ####### in a cell Column too narrow. Widen the column: Double-click on the right hand column border in the column title bar or drag that border to the right -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Summersway" <Summersway@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0762CB39-EFA8-4B33-B7C9-8EAF88FB1643@microsoft.com... | What does it mean if you see ####### in a cell It could mean a few things. 1. The columnwidth is too narrow to show the number. Widen the column or change the font size of that cell. Or change the ...

ENTITY Stencil ReSize HELP PLEASE
Hello all, I am in the process of making an ER Diagram. Now I realize that the entity stencil is locked. I tried unlocking it to resize it, but did not work. Anyone have a "CUSTOM" Entity Stencil that will resize using the arrows at the corner of the stencil? Or a CUSTOM Entity Stencil that looks exactly like the Master one? I have tried to create one, and realized too soon that it was an impossible task for me. THANKS ALOT Karim ------=_NextPart_0001_536FBD91 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, Though not advisable, you can still edit a stencil, w...

Internal error.. any help?
Can anybody please help me in fixing this link error that i get in my VC++ project? Linking... LINK : error : Internal error during ReadSymbolTable ExceptionCode = C0000005 ExceptionFlags = 00000000 ExceptionAddress = 0040ED6B NumberParameters = 00000002 ExceptionInformation[ 0] = 00000001 ExceptionInformation[ 1] = 00000000 CONTEXT: Eax = 40070F98 Esp = 0012EAC4 Ebx = 3FFF0000 Ebp = 004695A8 Ecx = C0000A40 Esi = 40070F5C Edx = 00000000 Edi = 3FFF01C0 Eip = 0040ED6B EFlags = 00010202 SegCs = 0000001B...

Problem with Checkboxes... Help Required!!!
I have a designed a form in which users will deselect checkbox 31 if the customer has a product from a certain brand. Users can also deselect checkbox 32 if the customer has a product from another brand. (It is possible that customers will have products from both brands). On another part of the form the user has to select checkbox 41 if the total value of the customer products (from both brands) is greater than �15000. At present I have the following coding:- Private Sub CheckBox41_Click() If CheckBox41.Value = True Then Controls("CheckBox44").Enabled = True Controls("CheckBox...

Why is this strSQL not working??? Please Help
If I take out the Dlookup part all is well but I really need that Dlookup. Can someone explian why? Const strSQL = "SELECT tblLister.lListerID, tblLister.lFirstName, tblLister.lLastName, tblLister.leMailAddress, tblLister.lFaxNumber, tblLister.lCellPhoneNumber, tblLister.lOtherPhoneNumber, tblLister.lPhoneNumber, DLookUp("btBrokerID","tblBrokerTerritory","[btTerritoryStateID]='" & [llStateID] & "'") AS BrokerID, tblListerListing.llListingID, tblListerListing.llSaleAmount, tblListerListing.llInActiveOrSold, tblListerListing.l...

Search in the help window is disabled ???
The Search window in my excel help window is disabled (grayed out). As a consequence no search in the help is possible. Is there an option somewhere to enable it? The excel version is 2007 and the O.S. is windows 7 home premium. ...

Help with CWnd::SetFont and CWnd::GetFont
The documentation for CWnd::SetFont and CWnd::GetFont are horrible. I'm creating a custom window that works as a control on a dialog box. Ideally, the control would automatically use the dialog font but I'm not sure how best to hook that up. Since that wasn't working, I instead called SetFont on my control after it was created. Then, when the control paints, it uses GetFont to obtain the font. However, GetFont is returning NULL. I was carefully to make sure the font specified in SetFont was not destroyed until after the dialog box closed. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing ...

Please Please Help Me New To Excel
okay i'll do my best to ask this question. I have this spread sheet I've beentrying to figure out It has the number 5 in I6, then in J6 the formula =I6/10*21 This spread sheet is to show us the current number of sales we have now and based on todays date what we are on pace to hit by the end of the month(Octobers projected sales finish) So, what I want to know is why does it say 10*21. I know that the "21" stands for the number of business days in the month (21 days in October), but what does the 10 represent??? I looked at another spread sheet from last month, ...

Money 2004 Deluxe will not start
Hi All, I just installed Money 2004 Deluxe on Windows XP Professional yesterday and it just doesn't start. When I double click it, it gives me an error with option to send the error to microsoft and dies. My computer has all the fixes from microsoft as of yesterday and I don't know if that is causing the problem. I can't believe that I paid 40 bucks for this and it doesn't even run. Please help! In microsoft.public.money, Bhas Chol wrote: > >I just installed Money 2004 Deluxe on Windows XP >Professional yesterday and it just doesn't start. When I >double clic...

MTA exchange 5.5
Hello, On my exchange 5.5 SP4 I get the following error message: "A delivery failure occurred for the message with message transfer service identifier C=gr;A= ;P=xxxxxx;L=servername0410201255R1PQPQTW. X.400 reason code unable-to-transfer. Diagnostic content-too-long. Contact Microsoft Technical Support. [0 MTA DISP:FANOUT 8 112] (12)" Source: MSExchangeMTA Category: X.400 service Event ID: 62 Also, the following one: "A non-delivery report (reason code unable-to-transfer and diagnostic code content-too-long) is being generated for message C=gr;A= ;P=xxxxx;L=servername04102...

help!can't open any files
I just loaded & activated Microsoft student/teacher edition 2003. Now all of the previous excel files already saved to my computer will not open. The message "Not able to open-virus scanner has detected a problem" pops up. This even occurs on new docs that I have just created & saved to the systems since installing this new software. Help! ...

Data Validation -- Help!!!
Hi, all !! I have vertical data range which I named "DEALERS." In an adjacent column, I set the data validation feature to "list," and entered "=DEALERS" in the source box. This way, the user can select a dealer in the drop-down list. However, if the user decides to type in a name that's not in the list, I want an error message generated, which isn't happening!! How can I make the data validation generate an error message when the user types in a name which isn't on the list? Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks! Jeff The default behavior is...

Re:Microsoft Outlook Help
I have 'Microsoft Outlook 2000' #1 - I have two separate Outlook address books that I want to combine into one only? How do I transfer all the contacts Name & Address's into one address book only? #2 How do I make a seperate file to do a mail out to a specific group. IE: I want to do labels to a specific group of 50 Names from my address book? Any help, instructions etc would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance ...

Need filter help
Hi In a worksheet, I've the following data: Row 1 Date: Product: <product_name> Row 2 Product Quantity 3 Apple 14 4 Mango 1 5 Apple 10 I want that, when I filter row 2 for Product = "Apple", i needed it to display in the <product_name> in row1. How can it be? Please help To show the value that has been selected in the AutoFilter dropdown, you can create a User Defined Function. Tom Ogilvy posted the following function, that returns the criteria from a column in an autofiltered table...

Help with Combo Box
I currently use Excel 2000, and have a list of names. I would like t create a combo box that would allow the user to either find the name b scrolling through or by typing in the first few letters of the name. When I create the combo box on the worksheet using the forms button fo combo box, it doesn't allow me to type in the first few letters. an help appreciated. charle -- cfriedber ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cfriedberg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2565 View this thread: http://www.excelforum...

2 value formula help needed
Hi All Sorry new to this, and am fairly ok on excel but having problems figuring this one out I have some values that i want to total and show and additional currency + total. So as an example Cell A1 A2 A3 A4 (this is how I want it to look) 500.00 600.00 AUD 750.00 1100.00+AUD 750.00 can i do this and how ? thank you just realised i have posted this in access instead of excel - sorry karenp wrote: >Hi All > >Sorry new to this, and am fairly ok on excel but having proble...

Help with multiplication formula
I want to do the following calculation: cell E20 x cells D1 to D20 what is the correct formula? Also if I want to add up many RANDOM cells and then multiply the total by one other cell, what is the quickest way? Thanks so much. Excel 2003 =E20*SUM(D1:D20) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200857 "Josh W" wrote: > I want to do the following calculation: cell E20 x cells D1 to D20 what is > the correct formula? > Also if I want to add up many RANDOM cells and then multiply the total by > one other cell, what is the quickest way? > Thanks so much. Excel 2003 ...

mapi help pls
Hi Using simple MAPI for sending my e-mails they are sent by "Outlook Express". how can i change the program to "MS Outlook" so that my application uses that instead of outlook express. Beside that how can I change the default mail handler (I have problems in editing registerirs). pls. contact me at the subj. (smalsa_ae@yahoo.com) Thanks in advance If I understand you correctly, try this: Run IE and go to menu Tools ---> Internet Options -->Programs Tab ---> Change Email program.... "msnews.microsoft.com" <a_esmaeili@hotmail.com> wrote in mes...