2004 Office pros+cons of moving Microsoft User Data to 2nd partition? Do any MVPs?

With Office 2004, are there any reasons why one should NOT alias the
Microsoft User Data folder, leave the alias in place on the boot partition
and move MUD to another partition?

Do any of the MVPs do this?

Respectfully, Norm

0
nnager1050 (113)

Hi Norman,

It's people like you who make me stop and think every once in a while about
what I am doing. I have a MUD folder at work, another at home. But this is
not really the best solution for me.

What I should really do is have a single master MUD folder someplace,
probably on a network drive that's backed up every day. Then I should sync
to local MUD folders.

I've thought about getting one of those USB drives for my MUD folder, but I
tend to leave things in my pockets and I doubt they are resilient enough for
my washer and dryer.

-Jim
--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are not Microsoft Employees
MVP info http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Quoting from "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu>,
in article BD15BBDB.26A4%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu, on [DATE:

> With Office 2004, are there any reasons why one should NOT alias the
> Microsoft User Data folder, leave the alias in place on the boot partition
> and move MUD to another partition?
>
> Do any of the MVPs do this?
>
> Respectfully, Norm

0
goldkey74 (611)
7/10/2004 11:22:27 PM
On 7/10/04 3:29 PM, in article
BD15BBDB.26A4%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu, "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D."
<nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote:

> With Office 2004, are there any reasons why one should NOT alias the
> Microsoft User Data folder, leave the alias in place on the boot partition
> and move MUD to another partition?
>
> Do any of the MVPs do this?

I do, and have done so for years. No problems at all.

--
Paul Berkowitz
MVP Entourage

Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
ignored.

PLEASE always state which version of Entourage you are using - **2004**, X
or 2001. It's often impossible to answer your questions otherwise.

0
berkowit (221)
7/11/2004 5:00:24 AM
On 7/10/04 10:00 PM, in article BD161778.6B197%berkowit@spoof_silcom.com,
"Paul Berkowitz" <berkowit@spoof_silcom.com> wrote:

> On 7/10/04 3:29 PM, in article
> BD15BBDB.26A4%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu, "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D."
> <nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote:
>
>> With Office 2004, are there any reasons why one should NOT alias the
>> Microsoft User Data folder, leave the alias in place on the boot partition
>> and move MUD to another partition?
>>
>> Do any of the MVPs do this?
>
> I do, and have done so for years. No problems at all.

Please advise on how to do this correctly.  After I executed what I thought
was the proper way, Entourage both returned to default preferences and could
not find its database; in short, it was like launching Entourage for the
first time.

Here's what I attempted and then did to clean up afterward.  But I'm stymied
on how to accomplish the move of the MUD folder so Entourage finds it:

1.  Made an alias for the MUD folder
2.  Moved the folder over to another partition and left alias in place
3.  Launched Entourage
4.  When Entourage came up empty, I checked and found that the MUD folder
had been copied, rather than moved.
5.  I trashed the original MUD folder, leaving its copy on the 2nd
partition.
6.  Again, Entourage launched as if there were no preferences or data base.
7.  I copied from a second hard drive the Microsoft preferences and replaced
those on my boot drive.
8.  Entourage still ignored my MUD.
9.  I then moved the MUD folder back to its original location on the boot
partition.
10.  Entourage works fine now, but I'm back at square one.

Your counsel on the correct steps to take without confusing Entourage,
please?

Respectfully, Norm

0
nnager1050 (113)
7/11/2004 10:41:00 AM
On 7/11/04 5:41 AM, in article
BD16674C.270D%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu, "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D."
<nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote:

> On 7/10/04 10:00 PM, in article BD161778.6B197%berkowit@spoof_silcom.com,
> "Paul Berkowitz" <berkowit@spoof_silcom.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/10/04 3:29 PM, in article
>> BD15BBDB.26A4%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu, "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D."
>> <nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> With Office 2004, are there any reasons why one should NOT alias the
>>> Microsoft User Data folder, leave the alias in place on the boot partition
>>> and move MUD to another partition?
>>>
>>> Do any of the MVPs do this?
>>
>> I do, and have done so for years. No problems at all.
>
> Please advise on how to do this correctly.  After I executed what I thought
> was the proper way, Entourage both returned to default preferences and could
> not find its database; in short, it was like launching Entourage for the
> first time.
>
> Here's what I attempted and then did to clean up afterward.  But I'm stymied
> on how to accomplish the move of the MUD folder so Entourage finds it:
>
> 1.  Made an alias for the MUD folder
> 2.  Moved the folder over to another partition and left alias in place
> 3.  Launched Entourage
> 4.  When Entourage came up empty, I checked and found that the MUD folder
> had been copied, rather than moved.
> 5.  I trashed the original MUD folder, leaving its copy on the 2nd
> partition.
> 6.  Again, Entourage launched as if there were no preferences or data base.
> 7.  I copied from a second hard drive the Microsoft preferences and replaced
> those on my boot drive.
> 8.  Entourage still ignored my MUD.
> 9.  I then moved the MUD folder back to its original location on the boot
> partition.
> 10.  Entourage works fine now, but I'm back at square one.
>
> Your counsel on the correct steps to take without confusing Entourage,
> please?

Here's what I've done:
1.  Go to Entourage > Turn off Office Notifications, and quit Entourage.
2.  Move the Microsoft User Data to another partition
3.  Delete the original Microsoft User Data folder.
4.  Command-Option-drag the Microsoft User Data folder back to the original
location.
5.  Re-launch Entourage, choosing to re-enable notifications.
6.  If your data doesn't show up, go to Entourage > Switch Identity to
re-select your identity.

--
Mickey Stevens (Microsoft MVP for Office:mac)
PowerPoint FAQ featuring PowerPoint:mac: <http://www.pptfaq.com/>

In article <BD16C280.8434%mickey.stevens@mvps.org>,
 Mickey Stevens <mickey.stevens@mvps.org> wrote:

> Here's what I've done:
> 1.  Go to Entourage > Turn off Office Notifications, and quit Entourage.
> 2.  Move the Microsoft User Data to another partition
> 3.  Delete the original Microsoft User Data folder.
> 4.  Command-Option-drag the Microsoft User Data folder back to the original
> location.
> 5.  Re-launch Entourage, choosing to re-enable notifications.
> 6.  If your data doesn't show up, go to Entourage > Switch Identity to
> re-select your identity.

That's essentially what I've done, too.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
7/11/2004 7:57:46 PM
On 7/11/04 8:10 AM, in article BD16C280.8434%mickey.stevens@mvps.org,
"Mickey Stevens" <mickey.stevens@mvps.org> wrote:

> On 7/11/04 5:41 AM, in article
> BD16674C.270D%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu, "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D."
> <nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote:
>
>> On 7/10/04 10:00 PM, in article BD161778.6B197%berkowit@spoof_silcom.com,
>> "Paul Berkowitz" <berkowit@spoof_silcom.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 7/10/04 3:29 PM, in article
>>> BD15BBDB.26A4%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu, "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D."

>>> I do, and have done so for years. No problems at all.
>>
>> Please advise on how to do this correctly.  After I executed what I thought
>> was the proper way, Entourage both returned to default preferences and could
>> not find its database; in short, it was like launching Entourage for the
>> first time.
>
> Here's what I've done:
> 1.  Go to Entourage > Turn off Office Notifications, and quit Entourage.
> 2.  Move the Microsoft User Data to another partition
> 3.  Delete the original Microsoft User Data folder.
> 4.  Command-Option-drag the Microsoft User Data folder back to the original
> location.
> 5.  Re-launch Entourage, choosing to re-enable notifications.
> 6.  If your data doesn't show up, go to Entourage > Switch Identity to
> re-select your identity.

Thanks so very much.  Now I can feel more secure about my Microsoft User
Data,  the most valuable folder in my Mac.  Respectfully, Norm

0
nnager1050 (113)

Business 2004
Anyone know where I can find a demo of the business version of 2004 and also anyone know when the UK versions might be out? Microsoft has never released a business trial. The only Money 2004 trial is the one already out there. DAE "Sam" <bob@bob.com> wrote in message news:3f23b763$0$46015$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net... > Anyone know where I can find a demo of the business version of 2004 and also > anyone know when the UK versions might be out? > > ...

Problems moving SQL to Code using Mark Plumpton method
Hi Am using Mark Plumptons method to speed up form loading. This is the first time I have done this so being extra careful. Problem is I have a combo box which has a WHERE selection which Marks example does not provide an example code. The code I have below creates a Syntax error, could someone please advise what the problem is. Me.model.RowSource = _ "SELECT type " & _ "FROM tblcartype " & _ "WHERE tblcartype.carmake=Me.model" & _ "ORDER BY type;" If I take out the '&_' at the end of the WHERE clause the...

Office 2007 Delivery and Read Email Notisfication
When the sender has set up in their option to have the Delivery and Read notification check and send the email, why isn't both notifications being return to the sender after sending it to the recipient? The email address is correct because the recipient has acknowledge they have the email verbally. As well I know the option for these notifications is set up correctly because I get the delivery report and read report from other recipients. Some I get it from and some I don't. Is there a way I would know for sure if the recipient did receive without asking always. -- ...

Convert from Quicken 2004 Premier
I've been a Quicken user for over 10 years and Quicken 2004 Premier is driving me batty with all of its bugs and assorted problems. I'd like to switch to Money 2004 Deluxe and was wondering if the Money conversion process would work on my Q2004 Premier data file? If not, is there any other way to transfer my 10 years of financial data? M04 will import Q03 and earlier data file. M05 (if and when) will likely import Q04 and earlier. M04 can also import QIF data--Q04 may be able to export this. This route will be involved and will not be lossless. "jluther3" <anonymo...

Copying data
Hi How do I set up a drop down list (Sales April, May, June ect) to copy data from 1 column to another in a specified location? Thanks Andre You can use and Advanced Filter to copy data from one location to another. There are instructions in Excel's Help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html Also, there are sample files here that use Data Validation to create dropdown lists, and Advanced Filter to extract data: http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html Under Filters, look for 'Product List by Category ' Andre wrote: > How do I set u...

Moving Exchange Server 2003 to a new server
I have an old Dell Server that used to run Windows NT and Exchange 5.5. I upgraded it in place to Windows 2000 Standard and Exchange 2000 Standard. I then did another in place upgrade to Server 2003 Standard and Exchange 2003 Standard. (less than 200 mailboxes) Needless to say, there's a lot of excess baggage on that server. I am about to replace that server with a new box. I would like to have a fresh install of Server 2003 and Exchange 2003. Here's where I'm stuck. What is the best method to migrate everything over to the new server? I can move mailboxes at night w...

Retrieve Product Key- Office 2008 for Mac #2
Subject says it all-- I need to retrieve the product key for MS Office 2008 installed on my MacBook. I don't have the install CD. I'm afraid there is nothing you can do, as there is no way to extract the product key from your installation. Do you still have a receipt, or any other proof of purchase? The fact that you don't have the original CD makes it even more difficult to obtain any kind of replacement. On 31/08/09 18:57, in article 59b69c87.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Red Garnett" <red@nospam.net> wrote: > Subject says it all-- I need to retrieve the...

Macro to pull every Nth row of data
I have a spreadsheet of data and I need to pull every 60th row out onto another sheet. Any simple macros? Thanks. Amy How about Sub Test() Source_Sheet = "Sheet1" Target_Sheet = "Sheet2" n = 5000 ' your last line of data on Sheet1 Target_Row = 1 Sheets(Target_Sheet).Select For nCount = 1 To n Step 60 Worksheets(Source_Sheet).Cells(nCount, 1).EntireRow.Copy Worksheets(Target_Sheet).Cells(Target_Row, 1).Select Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:= _ F...

WordPerfect on Microsoft Professional xp crash
11/04 I've been working on a large wordperfect document 125 pages,containing Outlines and Tables (word tables. It has crashed repeatedly today. I can't save it, print it, email it to someone else. I've tried splitting it in half and it still happens. Sometimes it just freezes. At other times the COrel Application Recovery Manager (CARM) comes on. At the screen which reads Application Recovery Manager Wizard, under available actions. Backup my documents and continue working on the application are both greyed. The note says If either option is unavailable due to the seve...

Money 2004 #27
I have been trying to set up online banking with Chase.com. Money only lists JP Morgan Chase, which is fine but when I go to put in my password Money only recognizes / expects a 4 digit password when in actuality Chase requires 6 - 10 digits. Is there a patch or work around for this. Thanks, James You need to contact Chase and ask them to set you up for Money. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "James" <anonymous@discussions.micros...

How to move Public Folders
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C776F8.2B5D24C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Re : Exchange 2003 sp2 We have had to recover a Public Folder store pub1.edb & pub1.stm and we can mount the database in to a second "Public Folder". the = default store generates an error when mounting. But how to access this Public Folder ?, =20 Exchange Manager can list the contents and folders of it, and it's all = there. But Outlook client doesn't see this 2nd Publ...

no memo field data after enter
I have a memo field on a form, where teammates enter continuous customer data. After each sentence, they hit the enter key, to seperate the notes in the field. The underlying table is only recording everything up to the time they hit the enter key the first time. So, I could have 20 sentences (entries) in the field, and only the first entry will show up in the table. Anyone know why, and is there a way to correct this? Thanks, Perry -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/200706/1 Are you sure the other lines are not there? They won&...

Difference between 2004 Premium and 2004 Smal Biz editions?
What is the difference between Money 2004 Premium and 2004 Small Business? I know the comparison chart at Microsoft says they contain the same features but are they exactly the same only the Small Business edition contain a few extra "business" goodies or are they completely different beasts? Thanks. Hello, They are exactly the same with the SBE contain just a few busines features (goodies I'm not sure is the right word) such as A/R and Mileage Tracking. Take care, DAE >-----Original Message----- >What is the difference between Money 2004 Premium and 2004 Small ...

Changing from Office 2007 to 2003
Hi. I am switching from Office 2007 to 2003. If I export all folders in ..pst format, will I be able to import that into 2003 seamlessly? lol. I have never had issues when "upgrading" doing it this way, but "downgrading" is a new issue to me. Thanks in advance for your help! No need to export and import anything. Just use the pst-file directly via; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... It is recommended to recreate you mail profile though after the downgrade. For this see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-...

Upgrading from 2004 to 2006
I am going to upgrade from Microsoft Money 2004 Deluxe to Microsoft Money 2006 Premium. I have a couple of questions: 1.. Should I uninstall Money 2004 first, before installing Money 2006? Or will installing Money 2006 automatically uninstall Money 2004? 2.. Of course I want to transfer all of my data from Money 2004 to Money 2006. How do I handle that? Rod Answers/comments inline below. "Rod" <Rod@NO.SPAM> wrote in message news:%23CXhNa78FHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > > I am going to upgrade from Microsoft Money 2004 Deluxe to Microsoft Money >...

Move Flagged Row(s) to a Different Sheet
Hi Everyone, I'm sure this is a piece of cake for most of you who are familiar with programming in Excel, but it's a bit challenge for me. I'd like to know how to program in Excel so that rows that have been flagged with some identifier will be move to a different sheet, for example: In Sheet1, Col A is the flag column. It will be a drop down list. Let's say if Sheet1 Col A says "DELETE" then that entire row show be move to the sheet called "MOVE". Since Sheet1 is to be certain amount of row, I don't want to Cut the entire row to the...

Gridlines in Office 2007
Hello, I used Options to print gridlines in my worksheet but I noticed under Print Preview the gridlines look like tiny dots strung together. I'm not near a printer right now so I can't tell if the gridlines will look that way when printed. Is there any way to make gridlines solid? KP In EXCEL 2007:- Home / right click in cell(s) / Format Cells / Border / Outline / OK. Just apply the above to the whole page(s). If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Keypad" wrote: > Hello, > > I used Options to print gridlines...

Money 2004 Canadian Edition #2
Hi all, I just bought a Money 2004 Canadian Edition at Futureshop. After I installed it and tried to open it, it crashed!! It kept crashing no matter how many times I reboot my machine and reinstall this product!!!!!!!! I have double clicked on the sample file and it opens without any problems!! But when I tried to create a new file, it just crash when it is trying to load the new file!!! I am using WinXP. ZoneAlarm and Grisoft anti- virus are installed in my machine. Another question is that I have downloaded the trial version (on another machine) and been using it for a month. I ...

Cursor auto move from one cell to another
How can I have my cursor automatically move from cell C9 to cell A14 after hitting the enter key in cell C9? (note, there may be data entered or else it may be left blank) Thanks all, mikeburg -- mikeburg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mikeburg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24581 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=399546 One way is to use a "named range". Check out this old post: http://tinyurl.com/39vzv -- HTH, RD ===================================...

Moving public folders #2
Hi, I've installed a new 2003 SBS server to replace one that was corrupt. I managed to move all the mailboxes using EXMERGE, wonderful! I wasn't able to move the public folder, though. How can I move the public folders from one domain to another? I'm having trouble starting the InformationStore, possibly because the priv is corrupt. I'm running eseutil as we speak and hope to get it online. What do I do if I'm stuck with only the two public folders (.edb and .stm files). Can I still get access to the public folders to somehow import them into the new Exchange Server (...

Single Language Office Editions
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel One of the really great things of the Mac world is that most applications have multiple language support built-in. For example, the OS itself can be switched from one language to another in no time. <br><br>Office for Mac, unfortunately, still sells in single language editions, which is really unfortunate for people who live abroad. For example, if you want to buy Office for Mac in Italy you can only (easily) get it in Italian, and there is no way to switch an Italian version to English. <br>&l...

Office 2010 Install error.
Hello All, I beg your indulgence. I am new here, albeit not new to the MS and computing world. I am having an odd issue and cannot seem to find my way out. Recently dl'd the Office 2010 from Technet. I have 10 machines, all newer and quite capable of running Office. I have installed it under Win7Ult. successfully on a few machines, and the rub, one a few others the setup fails with the exact same error. It follows: Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly component {9DA4DC8A-9731-FC17CA6848AD}, HRESULT: Ox800736B3. Setup failed. Rolling back cha...

Can Microsoft Money 2004 update HK Stock Price
Hi all, I know that Money 2001 and 2002 cannot upgrade HK stock price from the online service. Can Money 2004 now upgate HK stock price now through the online service? Thank you. Pong >-----Original Message----- >Hi all, > >I know that Money 2001 and 2002 cannot upgrade HK stock price from the >online service. > >Can Money 2004 now upgate HK stock price now through the online >service? > >Thank you. > >Pong >. > What company is the HK symbol for? I don't get a quote on finance.yahoo.com for HK when I enter the symbol. >-----Original Mes...

Enter, tab, arrow keys aren't allowing me to move to other cells
I have a multi page worksheet with functions throughout. It has one sheet of inputs, other sheets hidden, input & answer sheets are protected. The Input sheet, several cells are available to input. Yesterday I could move around with the enter key, tab, and arrows. Today for some reason, the enter, tab, and arrow keys will not move me around. I made sure all input cells and function formatted linked cells are unlocked and unprotected. I have to click into another cell to move. ***I reboot, and the keys still don't work.*** I have been through all the options settings, can't find t...

Some has Moved the Inbox Folder
I have a user that somehow moved the Inbox folder to the Deleted Items folder. I have tried moving the folder back but eact time I try I get the notification that default folders cannot be moved or deleted. I tried using the command line switches to rebuild the folders but still no luck. Anyone know how to move the Inbox from one folder to another? I think its possible to move Outlook System Folders in OWA (in EX2K) and that may be exactly what your users did. Try move the inbox back using OWA and if that doesnt work, start outlook from run with the switch /ResetFolders Jamelia "RSN1...