[ANN] The Entourage Help Blog: Entourage and Time Machine

Time Machine is a breakthrough automatic backup feature that�s built right
into Mac OS X Leopard, but for Entourage users it's recommended that you
exclude your Identity from Time Machine.

There is an alternative for Entourage users using a Folder Action and
Automator. The nice thing about this method is it can be used by those still
running Tiger and it's free.

Entourage and Time Machine (The Entourage Help Blog)
<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/01/entourage_and_time_machine.html>

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)

Hi Diane:

Neat idea!

However... how do you deal with "... As long as Time Machine is backing up
the database when the file is not open (the Database Daemon is not running),
then the databases should be valid."?

Many users will not know how to quit the Daemon.  There is a script around
that does it.  Can you add that script to the iCal schedule?

Unless you do, there is no point in doing the rest of it, since the backup
will never be useable.

You would also need to re-start the Database Daemon after this operation,
otherwise the user will miss all their morning appointments next morning :-)

Cheers

On 1/01/08 8:09 PM, in article
C39F4341.C951%diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org, "Diane Ross"
<diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org> wrote:

> Time Machine is a breakthrough automatic backup feature that�s built right
> into Mac OS X Leopard, but for Entourage users it's recommended that you
> exclude your Identity from Time Machine.
>
> There is an alternative for Entourage users using a Folder Action and
> Automator. The nice thing about this method is it can be used by those still
> running Tiger and it's free.
>
> Entourage and Time Machine (The Entourage Help Blog)
> <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/01/entourage_and_time_machine.html>

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia.  S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
1/1/2008 10:12:04 AM
On 1/1/08 2:12 AM, in article C3A05D24.D36D%john@mcghie.name, "John McGhie"
<john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> However... how do you deal with "... As long as Time Machine is backing up
> the database when the file is not open (the Database Daemon is not running),
> then the databases should be valid."?
>
> Many users will not know how to quit the Daemon.  There is a script around
> that does it.  Can you add that script to the iCal schedule?
>
> Unless you do, there is no point in doing the rest of it, since the backup
> will never be useable.
>
> You would also need to re-start the Database Daemon after this operation,
> otherwise the user will miss all their morning appointments next morning :-)

If you just put Entourage into Offline mode at night the daemon will not be
active. Most users have reported that as long as the database is not being
used during backup there is no problem.

If the database gets written during the backup you can either (1) lose some
data or (2) have a corrupt backup file. If you are not writing
anything...e.g., no automatic Send & Receive All schedule...you can back up
without quitting anything. To be absolutely safe, you should quit Entourage
before backup.

I'll add this as a note to the article. It's also another good reason not to
let Time Machine backup your database hourly. Most likely it will be active
during most of the backups during the day.

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
1/2/2008 1:08:12 AM
In article <C3A023FC.CA94%diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org> Diane Ross
diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org wrote:

> If you just put Entourage into Offline mode at night the daemon will
> not be active. Most users have reported that as long as the database
> is not being used during backup there is no problem.

Well to be precise: nothing should write to the database, though it
might still be active. The notifications still read events and poop-up
when they need to.

Corentin
--
            --- Mac:MS MVP  http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---

korventeen (753)
1/2/2008 3:18:28 PM
In article <C39F4341.C951%diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org>,
 Diane Ross <diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org> wrote:

> Time Machine is a breakthrough automatic backup feature that�s built right
> into Mac OS X Leopard, but for Entourage users it's recommended that you
> exclude your Identity from Time Machine.
>
> There is an alternative for Entourage users using a Folder Action and
> Automator. The nice thing about this method is it can be used by those still
> running Tiger and it's free.

I am not a fan of the Apples Time Machine hourly backups; however, I
found a very neat tip on the Apple discussion group that helped me.  I
keep the Time Machine OFF until I am ready for it to do a backup.  The
problem is when you turn ON the Time Machine, it sleeps for about an
hour or until the next scheduled backup. Apple hid the Run Backup Now
button that several of us wanted.  Thanks to tip I can now leave the
Time Machine OFF and when I want it to start all that is required is to
Right-Click on the Time Machine icon on the Dock and select "Back Up
Now" from the list of options.  The hourly backup is as dumb as dirt and
fills up the back up drive too fast.

This may be an option to excluding Entourage Identity from the TM.

My personal backup preference is SuperDuper; however, is still being
updated for Leopard.

 the TM does not have  Run Backup Now button and when  you
0
arkayREMOVE (118)
1/2/2008 10:11:59 PM
On 1/2/08 2:11 PM, in article
arkayREMOVE-0E4A2E.16115902012008@news.houston.sbcglobal.net, "aRKay"
<arkayREMOVE@qsl.net> wrote:

> This may be an option to excluding Entourage Identity from the TM.
>
> My personal backup preference is SuperDuper; however, is still being
> updated for Leopard.

It's important to have snapshots of your backups so make sure you don't just
rely on SuperDuper, which is my favorite backup utility, to rewrite your
database every night. Database corruption is often not evident for weeks.
Even slight corruption can go unnoticed for months. That's why a "Time
Machine type" backup is necessary.

I like having my Entourage backups in my "Time Machine archive". I have room
and will let it go for long periods before I go in and delete extras.

The folder action is also very useful for your downloads and screen snaps
folders.

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)

Is it able to recieve email during the maintanance time?
When setup exchange server, it asks to configure the maintanance time every day. Since we have users globally, they will possiblly connect to the server during that maintanance time. So wondering whether they can recieve email at that time? If unable, what can I do to provide a constant mail service. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. Sam On 14 Sep 2006 07:56:05 -0700, "Sam" <sam.liyan@gmail.com> wrote: >When setup exchange server, it asks to configure the maintanance time >every day. Since we have users globally, they will possiblly connect to >the server dur...

[ANN] Excel X security update

I need help to make a not-so-easy AVERAGE formula!
Here's a description of spreadsheet that I am making for the sales of a store: - Column A has all the dates of the year (January 1, January 2, January 3, etc.) for the entire year listed one after another (so a total of 365 rows, starting in row 1). - Column B has the day of the week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.) corresponding to the date next to it in column A. - Column C has the sales amount (example: $125.50) corresponding to the date/day listed in the same row of columns A and B. I have the following formula (which works great) which gives me the SUM of all sales mad...

Help with Business Loans and Reimbursements
Help!! I am using Microsoft Money 2005. Here's a scenario: I have a business. I have personally loaned the business money. How do I properly categorize the business loan, and the repayments from business to personal. the reports are showing my loan as income instead of a liability. I also have expenses that are unreimbursed in my personal account. I want them to be monitored by category. Can someone PLEASE help me!? "justwonderin2" wrote: > Help!! > I am using Microsoft Money 2005. Here's a scenario: > I have a business. I have personally loaned the business mo...

ENTOURAGE cannot access database
MAC 2006 10.4.11 I hope you can help. I tried accessing my entourage only to find message saying 'entourage could not access my database'... I read pages on www.entourage.mvps.org and reduced the free disk space among other things. Hours later (and not really knowing the damage/help that I had done) I clicked on entourage to find that it would open but by setting up a new account....therefore without all the hundreds of work emails/contacts that I desperately need. I have what I think is the old database but remember reading message saying that re build is unlik...

formula or macro? whichever, I need help
I have a cell/column with 9-digit social security numbers, no spaces, no dashes. I need the last 4 numbers of each cell copied into a seperate cell/column. I can't find anything about copying partial cell value. Can anyone please help? Thank you, Dagmar Livingston, Columbus, GA =RIGHT(A1,4) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "daggyfresh" <daggyfresh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD76AFE1-51CF-426F-A09B-DD8A76696122@microsoft.com... >I have a cell/column with 9-digit social security numbers, no spaces, no > dashes. I need the last 4 numbers of...

**excel experts help me!**
hey can you guys help me with something on excel? I have 1 column of data that says doctor or custodian. Then I have a 2nd column that says male (value=1) or female (value=2). How do I find out how many male doctorss there are? Which function do I use? This is giving me a headache. Thanks for your help! -- helpmeplz ------------------------------------------------------------------------ helpmeplz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29193 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489278 with your data in A2:B15 ...

sharing folder in entourage
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop we would like to share a folder in entourage without using exchange. <br> we would like to archive our email on 1 dataserver and be able to view these emails on 2 computers in a shared folder. is this possible without using exchange ? <capoen@officeformac.com> wrote: > > we would like to share a folder in entourage without using exchange. <br> > we would like to archive our email on 1 dataserver and be able to view > these emails on 2 computers in a shared fo...

Entourage 2008 with Mac Office 2004
Sorry for Duplicate Post In corporate environment with OSX 10.4.11 PPC-Intel Workstations. Recently migration from Lotus Notes to MS Exchange on the PC side. Macintosh users will evenutally be affected, because Lotus Notes is being retired. Currently machines have Installation of MACOFFICE 2004 without Entourage. Initial option was to complete a customer install with adding Entourage from Mac 2004 Office CD. After some investigation other option was to install Entourage 2008 and keeping Offce 2004 instead of updating the entire suite. Are there any issues with Entourage 2008 with Ma...

populate System time through visual basic
How can I populate system time into a time field through VB. I am trying to populate the current time in time field in automated data collection window in manufacturing? Dim timeField As String timeField = Now() MsgBox (FormatDateTime(timeField, vbLongTime)) The FormatDateTime function does the heavy lifting here. Use online help to find the options. Dwight "Jack Tundra" <jacktundra@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OpegmAHMHHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > How can I populate system time into a time field through VB. I am trying > to populate the current t...

Entourage 2K8 lock ups
All, I have a handful of users (included the CEO) who are experiencing a very weird issue with Entourage 2008 (All on varying patch levels) and Leopard/Snow Leopard with Exch 2K3 SP2. In a nutshell, these users are having an issue in which they will receive an email from a sender that will prevent the user from sending or receiving email. I can't tell you anything that's common between the senders, as they're all pretty random. We're even seeing this issue with senders that have been fine in the past. The only commonalities that I see between the recipients is that ...

Is Entourage 2008 worth it?
What are the new features of this version and is it worth the purchase over 2004? John -- To drink or not to drink? http://www.cerm.info/bible_studies/Topical/alcoholic_beverages.htm Do a search. We've discussed this numerous times. For me the one feature that would make it worthwhile is the improved Spotlight search. -- Diane ...

Thanks Anne but..
Good suggestion but nope the cells are formatted hh:mm Thank for your help ;-) Hi DannyJ, Just out of curiosity - do you really have to start a new thread each time you are going to say something regarding thes topic? :-) Regards, KL "DannyJ" <youhavegottobekidding@nospam.com> wrote in message news:eGc7AbYiFHA.328@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Good suggestion but nope the cells are formatted hh:mm > > Thank for your help ;-) > > ...

Plase help with Deserialization exception
The following code fails with an exception of "There is an error in XML document (2, 2)." string with an inner exception of "Value cannot be null.\r\nParameter name: input" string. The inner exception has a strack trace of " at System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Split(String input, Int32 count)\r\n at KMS.Licensing.LicenseBase.Parse() in c:\\kms\\licensing\\common\\licensebase.cs:line 672\r\n at KMS.Licensing.LicenseBase.set_LicenseBlob(String value) in c:\\kms\\licensing\\common\\licensebase.cs:line 570\r\n at KMS.Licensing.LicenseBase..ctor(String the_li...

Help Needed !!!
I was using the trial version of Money 2005 in the past few weeks. Today I purchased and installed Money 2005 Standard version. After installation, I could not open the previous money file. When I tried to open the file, it prompted that it would convert the file to the new version. However, the conversion failed with message 'can not open the file ... due to either no permission or file is being opened ...' I am using Windows ME on my personal computer. No other application is using the file. The file is not read only either. Anybody would share his / her experience if the same...

entourage 2008 OUTBOX shows a message count, but no messages are visible
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop entourage 2008 OUTBOX shows a message count, but no messages are visible <br><br>Already tried to rebuild the database, the problem dissappeared but after restart the message count is again 1 were no mail is available in the outbox This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ----------------21247088781417833976 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit On 2010-03-03 01:42:03 -0800, marcn1961@officeformac.com said: >...

Email Help???
I am currently running Windows 2K with Office 2000. When ever I go to send an email message, the message hangs. When I click on send, the message remains open with the hourglass for a good 30 seconds before being sent. Has anyone come across this problem? Any suggestions??? Thanx in advance.... ...

Ann: Contacts to DataBase
The "IMI Contact2DB Synchrony" is small application that can export/extract Contacts items from any Outlook and Exchange Contact Folders, including Microsoft Exchange Server Public Folders and save it to any type of Database. The current build is 0.3 alphas. This version has been tested with Microsoft Exchange Server 2000, Microsoft SQL Server 2000, Microsoft Access 2002, Microsoft Excel 2002, Paradox 7, DBase. The actual link for the "IMI Contact2DB Synchrony" is: http://www.imibo.com/imidev/Exchange/subscribe.asp -- Iv Borissov IMI Support Team http://www.imibo.com/...

Outlook & Entourage

need some help
Hi, This is probably a stupid question, I have been trying to understand but I would need some to explain it. I have an SDI app (a treeview to the left and a CFrameWnd to the right, I switch between a couple for CFormView) I don't have a CDocument class in my project, so I get these kind of errors "Warning: Creating a pane with no CDocument." Now my problem is I don't know why I need a CDocument. In the msdn help I can read "CDocument supports standard operations such as creating a document, loading it, and saving it. The framework manipulates documents using the interfa...

help
I need help fast - whenever I open oe, I get the 'do you want to send the error rpt. to msoft' and then it dies -I can't even read an email - I want to try and re-install but I can't - the IE6 setup says I have a newer version and it won't run. I am also worried that I will lose my inbox (~500 messages) ...

Entourage error::EXC_BAD_ACCESS
Hi, Because of bad battery in my UPS, when i turned on my printer the power was cut off from my computer. And now entourage is crashing. This is what it it tells me. (below) I have tried: -Repairing permissions: this has worked in the past. -Repair disk via First Aid and Disk Warrior -Removing perf files, entourage pref and something.pref.plist -Verifying the database. Ok then rebuilding anyway. -Uninstall> reinstall> update> repair permissions (start up with install disk) NO LUCK. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you, Nanci Microsoft Error Reporting log version...

GETPIVOTDATA data_field help

Strange error message from Entourage

Help with a simple query
Hi guys and gals, Can anyone help me with this query? I am having some issues with pulling in all names even though (it appears) I have the join correct. SELECT tblEmployee.EmpRptID, tblEmployee.UserName, Sum(tmpReports.NumOfSets) AS SumOfNumOfSets FROM tblEmployee LEFT JOIN tmpReports ON tblEmployee.UserName = tmpReports.UserName WHERE (((tblEmployee.IsCQATech)=True) AND ((tmpReports.CompleteDate) Between #2/8/2010# And #2/12/2010#)) GROUP BY tblEmployee.EmpRptID, tblEmployee.UserName; What am I doing wrong? You have defeated the left join by applying criteria to the right s...