[ANN] Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0) released

Microsoft released Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0) today just four months
after its initial release and a little over a month since its Microsoft
Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 update. This is a major release and includes
nearly 50 bug fixes and improvements for Entourage. This update is available
through AutoUpdate or you can download from Mactopia.

Although service packs (SP = "service pack") may sometimes include new
features, such as Office 2004 SP2 (11.2.0) did for Exchange support, this
one does not. Instead, it appears to be focused on stability and
functionality. The big news is VBA will be returning in the next version of
Office.

Entourage users should note that the database will be upgraded. This means
you will not be able to revert this database to a previous version of
Entourage 2008.

Continue reading this blog article for details on installing and protecting
your database.

<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/05/office_2008_sp1_update_1210.html>

In case the above link does not work:

<http://tinyurl.com/3fukme>

--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP

diane7495 (1195)

In addition to Diane's suggestions for Before You Update, consider the
MS information here--note especially that if you have moved or renamed
the Office 2008 folder, you may run into problems.

[from the MS site, on the downloads page for 12.1]
____

Additional Information
If you have trouble installing this update or using Office 2008
applications after you install them, try the following:

Make sure that the Microsoft Office 2008 folder is located in the
Applications folder on the startup volume. If it is at another location
on your computer, move it to the Applications folder on your startup
volume, and then try installing the update again.

Restart your computer and try installing the update again.

Make sure that the user account you use to authenticate the update
installer is an administrator account. For more information about
administrator accounts, see Mac Help.

Make sure that you downloaded the correct language version of the update
for your copy of Office.

If you rename or modify any of the files in the Microsoft Office 2008
folder, you cannot install product updates. To correct this issue, drag
the Microsoft Office 2008 folder to the Trash, and then reinstall Office
2008 from your original installation disk.

If you experience problems opening Office applications after you install
this update, restart your computer. If you continue to experience
problems after you restart, reinstall Office from your original
installation disk, and then install this update again.
____

0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
5/13/2008 9:06:46 PM
In article <482A02E6.4040403@mvps.org.INVALID>,
Daiya Mitchell  <daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:
>In addition to Diane's suggestions for Before You Update, consider the
>MS information here--note especially that if you have moved or renamed
>the Office 2008 folder, you may run into problems.
>
>[from the MS site, on the downloads page for 12.1]
>____
>
>Additional Information
>If you have trouble installing this update or using Office 2008
>applications after you install them, try the following:
>
>Make sure that the Microsoft Office 2008 folder is located in the
>Applications folder on the startup volume. If it is at another location
>on your computer, move it to the Applications folder on your startup
>volume, and then try installing the update again.
>
>Restart your computer and try installing the update again.
>
>Make sure that the user account you use to authenticate the update
>installer is an administrator account. For more information about
>administrator accounts, see Mac Help.
>
>Make sure that you downloaded the correct language version of the update
>for your copy of Office.
>
>If you rename or modify any of the files in the Microsoft Office 2008
>folder, you cannot install product updates. To correct this issue, drag
>the Microsoft Office 2008 folder to the Trash, and then reinstall Office
>2008 from your original installation disk.
>
>If you experience problems opening Office applications after you install
>this update, restart your computer. If you continue to experience
>problems after you restart, reinstall Office from your original
>installation disk, and then install this update again.
>____

FWIW, I manually downloaded the 12.1.0 update dmg from

<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx?pid=Mactopia_Office2008&fid=395D1487-A3A6-4106-A0F8-4D6E1D6D89D2#viewer>

Auto-update outbound is blocked at the firewall, so I don't use it.

I backed up my Entourage DB, just in case, ran the installer, and
everything seems OK. I opened Entourage, it converted my DB and
I had to re-enter my account passwords. Then it downloaded my mail
from three accounts without issue. I opened a small Excel file and
a Word doc without any trouble. All three reported Version 12.1.0.

I don't have any Power Point files to try...

One more data point.
0
claudel1 (25)
5/13/2008 9:57:38 PM
On May 13, 4:54=A0pm, Diane Ross <di...@invalid.entourage.mvps.org>
wrote:

>The big news is VBA will be returning in the next version of Office.

Good show!

P.
0
etcstgo (2)
5/13/2008 11:01:58 PM
"etcstgo@gmail.com" wrote:

>> The big news is VBA will be returning in the next version of Office.
>
> Good show!

It was a the result of feedback. Nice to know they do listen.

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
5/13/2008 11:28:16 PM
On 5/13/08 7:28 PM ET, "Diane Ross" <diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org>
wrote:

> "etcstgo@gmail.com" wrote:
>
>>> The big news is VBA will be returning in the next version of Office.
>>
>> Good show!
>
> It was a the result of feedback. Nice to know they do listen.

Yay! I may even decide to upgrade to 2008 after that version comes out!
--
Ed Kimball

On 14/5/08 1:27 PM, in article C44FD479.39C4F%ed.kimball@att.net, "Ed
Kimball" <ed.kimball@att.net> wrote:

> On 5/13/08 7:28 PM ET, "Diane Ross" <diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org>
> wrote:

>>> Good show!
>>
>> It was a the result of feedback. Nice to know they do listen.
>
> Yay! I may even decide to upgrade to 2008 after that version comes out!

Hello Ed,

By "version" is meant the next full version of Word -- e.g., as 2008 was the
next version after 2004.

Word 2008 was a huge job for MacBU, with a new file format, new processor
architecture and new OS architecture (X-code). My guess is they would not be
able to retrofit VBA into Office 2008 -- it would take so long it would be
pointless. But they are working hard on it now!

Cheers,

Clive Huggan
Canberra, Australia
(My time zone is 5-11 hours different from the Americas and Europe, so my
follow-on responses to those regions can be delayed)

Diane Ross schrieb:

> It was a the result of feedback. Nice to know they do listen.

Competition is hard. When you imagine how many hours of programming go=20
into Free and open source software every week -- and for free -- it is=20
hard to believe that even a company as big and as powerful in financial=20
terms as Microsoft can even keep up to this challenge. It is, however,=20
even harder to believe that they released a product that contains that=20
many bugs as Office 2008 in the first place. OOo has postponed releases=20
quite often for fixing bugs -- not exactly a mistake...

J=FCrgen.
0
jfenn (8)
5/14/2008 12:23:44 PM
On 5/14/08 4:09 AM ET, "Clive Huggan"
<REMOVETHISoffice@ANDTHISstrategists.com.au> wrote:

> On 14/5/08 1:27 PM, in article C44FD479.39C4F%ed.kimball@att.net, "Ed
> Kimball" <ed.kimball@att.net> wrote:
>
>> On 5/13/08 7:28 PM ET, "Diane Ross" <diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org>
>> wrote:

>>> It was a the result of feedback. Nice to know they do listen.
>>
>> Yay! I may even decide to upgrade to 2008 after that version comes out!
>
> Hello Ed,
>
> By "version" is meant the next full version of Word -- e.g., as 2008 was the
> next version after 2004.
>
> Word 2008 was a huge job for MacBU, with a new file format, new processor
> architecture and new OS architecture (X-code). My guess is they would not be
> able to retrofit VBA into Office 2008 -- it would take so long it would be
> pointless. But they are working hard on it now!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Clive Huggan
> Canberra, Australia
> (My time zone is 5-11 hours different from the Americas and Europe, so my
> follow-on responses to those regions can be delayed)

Then I guess I'll just have to wait until Office 2012, or whatever -- if I
haven't switched to iWork, OpenOffice, or NeoOffice first.
--
Ed Kimball

I downloaded the upgrade took all of an hour on DSL line from Mactopia.
so I wouldn't recommends using the auto update.

Have on every , very minor quibble. the setting to allow for letting you
know when the normal template is being updated no longer works.

Also in the update for 2004 Office 11.4.2 (?) has the same problem. This
is on two machines.

Other than that everything is fine.

Diane Ross wrote:
> Microsoft released Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0) today just four months
> after its initial release and a little over a month since its Microsoft
> Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 update. This is a major release and includes
> nearly 50 bug fixes and improvements for Entourage. This update is available
> through AutoUpdate or you can download from Mactopia.
>
> Although service packs (SP = "service pack") may sometimes include new
> features, such as Office 2004 SP2 (11.2.0) did for Exchange support, this
> one does not. Instead, it appears to be focused on stability and
> functionality. The big news is VBA will be returning in the next version of
> Office.
>
> Entourage users should note that the database will be upgraded. This means
> you will not be able to revert this database to a previous version of
> Entourage 2008.
>
> Continue reading this blog article for details on installing and protecting
> your database.
>
> <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/05/office_2008_sp1_update_1210.html>
>
> In case the above link does not work:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/3fukme>

Phillip M. Jones, CET   |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I, NESDA, ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street      |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112   |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com

<http://www.vpea.org>
0
pjones1 (24)
5/14/2008 6:51:33 PM
Be sure to make it understood. when you refer to *next* version you are
referring to 2012. Not the next upgrade. So don't get peoples juices
flowing only to have them realize that is 4 years from now.

Diane Ross wrote:
> "etcstgo@gmail.com" wrote:
>
>>> The big news is VBA will be returning in the next version of Office.
>> Good show!
>
> It was a the result of feedback. Nice to know they do listen.

Phillip M. Jones, CET   |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I, NESDA, ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street      |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112   |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com

<http://www.vpea.org>
0
pjones1 (24)
5/14/2008 6:55:35 PM
Well, it's supposed to be 2-3 years.  But yes, Office 14, not 2008 SP2.
(Office 12 is 2008, MS is skipping the number 13)
http://www.macworld.com/article/133398/2008/05/griffiths_vba_office.html?lsrc=top_2

Phillip Jones wrote:
> Be sure to make it understood. when you refer to *next* version you
> are referring to 2012. Not the next upgrade. So don't get peoples
> juices flowing only to have them realize that is 4 years from now.
>
> Diane Ross wrote:

>>> Good show!
>>
>> It was a the result of feedback. Nice to know they do listen.

0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
5/14/2008 7:21:03 PM
"Phillip Jones" wrote:

> Be sure to make it understood. when you refer to *next* version you are
> referring to 2012. Not the next upgrade. So don't get peoples juices
> flowing only to have them realize that is 4 years from now.

I did refer to the dates in the blog. Sorry if you misunderstood.

The time between Office 2004 and Office 2008 was unusually long because of
the change over in code to Mach-O and universal binary. Microsoft's standard
release schedule is 2-3 years. We anticipate the next version ("MacOffice
14") will be out in 2010. Yes, they are skipping "MacOffice 13."

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
5/14/2008 8:43:38 PM
"Phillip Jones" wrote:

> I downloaded the upgrade took all of an hour on DSL line from Mactopia.
> so I wouldn't recommends using the auto update.

Mactopia could have been swamped with downloads. I sure don't miss my DSL
days.

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
5/14/2008 8:53:53 PM
Diane,

Do you happen to know if they fixed the Synchronization issue with Entourage
and iCal and .Mac?

I had to shut off synchronization because when I tried to enter and save a
reoccurring event as soon as it was "synchronized" it disappeared.

I am reluctant to turn it back on if it is not as yet working.

Thanks

Dunc

On 5/13/08 3:54 PM, in article
C44F4E1F.1D035%diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org, "Diane Ross"
<diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org> wrote:

> Microsoft released Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0) today just four months
> after its initial release and a little over a month since its Microsoft
> Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 update. This is a major release and includes
> nearly 50 bug fixes and improvements for Entourage. This update is available
> through AutoUpdate or you can download from Mactopia.
>
> Although service packs (SP = "service pack") may sometimes include new
> features, such as Office 2004 SP2 (11.2.0) did for Exchange support, this
> one does not. Instead, it appears to be focused on stability and
> functionality. The big news is VBA will be returning in the next version of
> Office.
>
> Entourage users should note that the database will be upgraded. This means
> you will not be able to revert this database to a previous version of
> Entourage 2008.
>
> Continue reading this blog article for details on installing and protecting
> your database.
>
> <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/05/office_2008_sp1_update_1210.html>
>
> In case the above link does not work:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/3fukme>

0
Dunc_F (15)
5/14/2008 9:41:32 PM
On May 14, 2:55=A0pm, Phillip Jones <pjon...@kimbanet.com> wrote:
> So don't get peoples juices
> flowing only to have them realize that is 4 years from now.

People who use VBA know that full well. But up until now the party
line here was "no way, Jos=E9", remembah?
0
etcstgo (2)
5/14/2008 9:48:16 PM
"Duncan Fowler" wrote:

> Do you happen to know if they fixed the Synchronization issue with Entourage
> and iCal and .Mac?

No. I think this will come with the next Leopard update.

Here is what was fixed in SP1 for Sync Services:

[Office 2008 SP1] Entourage receives major improvements (The Entourage Help
Blog)
<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/05/office_2008_sp1_entourage_receives_m
ajor_improvements.html#sync_services>

In case the above link does not work:

<http://tinyurl.com/5k4sfx>

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
5/14/2008 10:19:02 PM
In article <u0hYZQftIHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
 Phillip Jones <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:

> Be sure to make it understood. when you refer to *next* version you are
> referring to 2012. Not the next upgrade. So don't get peoples juices
> flowing only to have them realize that is 4 years from now.

Be sure, also, not to assume that there will be a four year gap between
versions. Where did you pull your assumption of 2012 out of?

Sure, it could be, but it's more typical to see 2-3 years between
versions.

Office 2001, v.X and 2004 were ALL released in less than 4 years.

No need to be a curmudgeonly wet blanket, either.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
5/14/2008 10:21:42 PM
Thanks Diane...

I'm glad I asked you first!!

Happy Weds!

Dunc

On 5/14/08 5:19 PM, in article
C450B366.1D2AD%diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org, "Diane Ross"
<diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org> wrote:

> "Duncan Fowler" wrote:
>
>> Do you happen to know if they fixed the Synchronization issue with Entourage
>> and iCal and .Mac?
>
> No. I think this will come with the next Leopard update.
>
> Here is what was fixed in SP1 for Sync Services:
>
> [Office 2008 SP1] Entourage receives major improvements (The Entourage Help
> Blog)
> <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/05/office_2008_sp1_entourage_receives_m
> ajor_improvements.html#sync_services>
>
> In case the above link does not work:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/5k4sfx>

0
Dunc_F (15)
5/14/2008 11:14:49 PM
On 15/5/08 5:21 AM, in article #DozneftIHA.1240@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl, "Daiya
Mitchell" <daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:

<snip>

> (Office 12 is 2008, MS is skipping the number 13)

<snip>

Yep, 4,000 years of human civilization and the world's biggest software
company doesn't dare use 13! What a hoot!

Hmm, Microsoft ought to skip 14 too. There are 1.2 billion Chinese who get
decidedly spooked about that number. Ah, I was forgetting; rumour has it
that only one copy of any proprietary application from overseas ever gets
sold in China....

Cheers,

CH
===

I wonder how civilization survived the 14th century8>\ Perhaps it would be a
better world had we gone directly from Dec.31, 1299 to Jan. 1, 1400 - for
that matter, how'd we get past "day 12"?

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/14/08 7:20 PM, in article
C451B0C4.3836A%REMOVETHISoffice@ANDTHISstrategists.com.au, "Clive Huggan"

On 5/14/08 2:55 PM, in article u0hYZQftIHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
"Phillip Jones" <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:

> Be sure to make it understood. when you refer to *next* version you are
> referring to 2012. Not the next upgrade.

Gee Phillip I'd a-thought that's why she wrote it explicitly as *next
version* - which is the same as "upgrade" - rather than *next update*.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Another thought - Perhaps we can get them to release a V. 13 as long as we
promise not to use it on Fridays... Ergo, automatic 3 day weekends:-)

I really must address this insomnia.....

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/14/08 7:20 PM, in article
C451B0C4.3836A%REMOVETHISoffice@ANDTHISstrategists.com.au, "Clive Huggan"
<REMOVETHISoffice@ANDTHISstrategists.com.au> wrote:

> On 15/5/08 5:21 AM, in article #DozneftIHA.1240@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl, "Daiya
> Mitchell" <daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> (Office 12 is 2008, MS is skipping the number 13)
>
> <snip>
>
> Yep, 4,000 years of human civilization and the world's biggest software
> company doesn't dare use 13! What a hoot!
>
> Hmm, Microsoft ought to skip 14 too. There are 1.2 billion Chinese who get
> decidedly spooked about that number. Ah, I was forgetting; rumour has it
> that only one copy of any proprietary application from overseas ever gets
> sold in China....
>
> Cheers,
>
> CH
> ===

Too complicated to move everything over to cable.

Diane Ross wrote:
> "Phillip Jones" wrote:
>
>> I downloaded the upgrade took all of an hour on DSL line from Mactopia.
>> so I wouldn't recommends using the auto update.
>
> Mactopia could have been swamped with downloads. I sure don't miss my DSL
> days.

Phillip M. Jones, CET   |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I, NESDA, ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street      |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112   |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com

<http://www.vpea.org>
0
pjones1 (24)
5/15/2008 8:11:23 PM
Actually X showed up within just a few months of OSX (Hence the
reference about Office X) That was in 2001 just after Office 2001 was
released.

Then it was Office 2004 but it was almost 4 Years. Then 2008 has been a
little more than 4 years. If you count by Month.
And before OSX  the was office 2001 which took the place of I believe 98

And before that was w95/Excel95 (the one I liked the best), offered as a
package as Office 4.2 There never has been a 2 year spread, its 2-1/2,
3, 3-1/2, 4. who know It might end up being 6 year spread next time.

JE McGimpsey wrote:
> In article <u0hYZQftIHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
>  Phillip Jones <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:
>
>> Be sure to make it understood. when you refer to *next* version you are
>> referring to 2012. Not the next upgrade. So don't get peoples juices
>> flowing only to have them realize that is 4 years from now.
>
> Be sure, also, not to assume that there will be a four year gap between
> versions. Where did you pull your assumption of 2012 out of?
>
> Sure, it could be, but it's more typical to see 2-3 years between
> versions.
>
> Office 2001, v.X and 2004 were ALL released in less than 4 years.
>
> No need to be a curmudgeonly wet blanket, either.

Phillip M. Jones, CET   |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I, NESDA, ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street      |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112   |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com

<http://www.vpea.org>
0
pjones1 (24)
5/15/2008 8:22:09 PM
FYI:

Office 2001 - October 2000
Office X - November 2001 [1yr., 1 month later]
Office 2004 - May 2004 [ 2 yrs., 7 mos. later]
Office 2008 - January 2008 [3 yrs., 8 mos. later]

Source: Wikipedia  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_2004_for_Mac
--
Regards |:>)
Bob Jones

"Phillip Jones" <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote in message
> Actually X showed up within just a few months of OSX (Hence the reference
> about Office X) That was in 2001 just after Office 2001 was released.
>
> Then it was Office 2004 but it was almost 4 Years. Then 2008 has been a
> little more than 4 years. If you count by Month.
> And before OSX  the was office 2001 which took the place of I believe 98
>
> And before that was w95/Excel95 (the one I liked the best), offered as a
> package as Office 4.2 There never has been a 2 year spread, its 2-1/2, 3,
> 3-1/2, 4. who know It might end up being 6 year spread next time.
>
> JE McGimpsey wrote:
>> In article <u0hYZQftIHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
>>  Phillip Jones <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Be sure to make it understood. when you refer to *next* version you are
>>> referring to 2012. Not the next upgrade. So don't get peoples juices
>>> flowing only to have them realize that is 4 years from now.
>>
>> Be sure, also, not to assume that there will be a four year gap between
>> versions. Where did you pull your assumption of 2012 out of?
>>
>> Sure, it could be, but it's more typical to see 2-3 years between
>> versions.
>>
>> Office 2001, v.X and 2004 were ALL released in less than 4 years.
>>
>> No need to be a curmudgeonly wet blanket, either.

> Phillip M. Jones, CET   |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I, NESDA, ISCET, Sterling
> 616 Liberty Street      |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
> Martinsville Va 24112   |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet
>
> If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!
>
> mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com
>
> <http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/default.htm>
> <http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/90th_Birthday/index.htm>
> <http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/Fulcher/default.html>
> <http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/Harris/default.htm>
> <http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/Jones/default.htm>
>
> <http://www.vpea.org>

0
CyberTaz
5/15/2008 9:10:20 PM
In article <uWVHclstIHA.552@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>,
 Phillip Jones <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:

> That was in 2001 just after Office 2001 was released.

No.

Office 2001 was released 11 October 2000.

Office v.X was released more than a year later - 19 November 2001.

> Then it was Office 2004 but it was almost 4 Years. Then 2008 has been a
> little more than 4 years.

Office 2004 was released 11 May 2004, less than 3 years and 6 months
after v.X.

Office 2008 was released 15 January 2008, 4 months *LESS* than 4 years
later.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
5/15/2008 9:11:50 PM
In article <jemcgimpsey-F5DDEA.15115015052008@news.microsoft.com>,
 JE McGimpsey <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote:

> Office 2004 was released 11 May 2004, less than 3 years and 6 months
> after v.X.

Oops  forgot to change the 3 when I added the months -

      less than *2* years and 6 months.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
5/15/2008 9:18:27 PM
What we had as an update was the 130 some mb Patch from 12 to 12.01

Them the 12.10 to 12.10 180 mb file, is what MS calls a service pack
(SP) everyone else calls a major Upgrade. Then what come when the go fro
12 to 13(14) or 2012 is a complete version upgrade.

What one shoots for is a two year turn over. But reality is it could be
anywhere from 2-6 years. :-)

CyberTaz wrote:

> On 5/14/08 2:55 PM, in article u0hYZQftIHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
> "Phillip Jones" <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:
>
>> Be sure to make it understood. when you refer to *next* version you are
>> referring to 2012. Not the next upgrade.
>
> Gee Phillip I'd a-thought that's why she wrote it explicitly as *next
> version* - which is the same as "upgrade" - rather than *next update*.
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac

Phillip M. Jones, CET   |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I, NESDA, ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street      |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112   |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com

<http://www.vpea.org>
0
pjones1 (24)
5/15/2008 9:52:12 PM
In article <exwkwXttIHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
 Phillip Jones <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:

> What we had as an update was the 130 some mb Patch from 12 to 12.01
>
> Them the 12.10 to 12.10 180 mb file, is what MS calls a service pack
> (SP) everyone else calls a major Upgrade.

Hmmm... I don't know *anyone* calling it an Upgrade, much less a major
one. From the Mactopia Downloads site:

   This update contains several improvements

>  Then what come when the go fro
> 12 to 13(14) or 2012 is a complete version upgrade.

In MS (and Apple, and nearly every other major software developer)
terms, ALL upgrades are "version upgrades".

"Upgrade" implies major changes and new features, and generally must be
purchased.

Updates are nearly always free, and contain bug fixes and minor feature
changes.

> What one shoots for is a two year turn over. But reality is it could be
> anywhere from 2-6 years. :-)

Now it's 6? Philip! You're just making this crap up! There's never even
been an interval as long as *4* full years in the 24+ years since MacXL
and MacWord first appeared.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
5/15/2008 10:10:52 PM

JE McGimpsey wrote:
> In article <exwkwXttIHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
>  Phillip Jones <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:
>
>> What we had as an update was the 130 some mb Patch from 12 to 12.01
>>
>> Them the 12.10 to 12.10 180 mb file, is what MS calls a service pack
>> (SP) everyone else calls a major Upgrade.
>
> Hmmm... I don't know *anyone* calling it an Upgrade, much less a major
> one. From the Mactopia Downloads site:
>
>    This update contains several improvements
>
>>  Then what come when the go from
>> 12 to 13(14) or 2012 is a complete version upgrade.
>
> In MS (and Apple, and nearly every other major software developer)
> terms, ALL upgrades are "version upgrades".
>
> "Upgrade" implies major changes and new features, and generally must be
> purchased.
>
> Updates are nearly always free, and contain bug fixes and minor feature
> changes.
>
>> What one shoots for is a two year turn over. But reality is it could be
>> anywhere from 2-6 years. :-)
>
> Now it's 6? Philip! You're just making this crap up! There's never even
> been an interval as long as *4* full years in the 24+ years since MacXL
> and MacWord first appeared.

Even MVP's and MS has called 12.01 to 12.01 major bug fixes and
improvements. In my eyes that an upgrade. It may not have been a for pay
upgrade but an upgrade it appears. To me  when you have a complete
version name change (11, 12, 13, 14) that's a version change.

You can hve minor updates that addresses 1 or two items. but 130mb nor
180 mb to me isn't a minor patch.

the first time I saw word/excel in was 95 (version 6 for word , version
5 for Excel.

The next I heard of was 97 for PC and 98 for Mac, then there was 2001
for Mac and 2000 for PC 2001 was the first that worked with either a OS9
system or OSX. I didn't get on the OSX band wagon until OSX.2 and That
killed my use of Word 6 Excel 5 so I bought 2001. I stayed with that
until I could buy 2004 now I bought 2008 when it was availble.

so I bought word/excel 95, then Office 2001, then 2004, now 2008.

that 6 six year, 3 years, 4 years. maybe they were published sooner or
later but they were available. I skipped X because it was just basically
a worked over 2001 and was considered very buggy.

Anyway. doesn't really matter. All, software companies say they shoot
for 2 year turn around.  Apple isn't without fault they fudged the
deadline on OSX.5 for 6 months and didn't look for bugs like they should
have. One reason why I haven't purchased it yet. may not for another year.

So don't be so defensive about MS. Every software company does it.
Phillip M. Jones, CET   |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I, NESDA, ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street      |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112   |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com

<http://www.vpea.org>
0
pjones1 (24)
5/16/2008 8:55:19 PM
In article <#HXOoc5tIHA.4876@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
 Phillip Jones <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:

> Even MVP's and MS has called 12.01 to 12.01 major bug fixes and
> improvements. In my eyes that an upgrade. It may not have been a for pay
> upgrade but an upgrade it appears. To me  when you have a complete
> version name change (11, 12, 13, 14) that's a version change.

Well, OK. Just realize that you're using the terms in an idiosyncratic
way that nobody else in the industry does, and therefore in a way that
few will understand without your detailed explanation.

No software company that I know of calls even a major bug fix update an
"upgrade". Upgrades always require purchase and include an integral
version number change.

> You can hve minor updates that addresses 1 or two items. but 130mb nor
> 180 mb to me isn't a minor patch.

Size doesn't always correspond to the number of changes, though in this
case there are a lot. Sometimes it's just easier and less bug-prone to
replace entire files rather than patch them, even if the changes are
few. Many, if not most, companies are going away from patching
altogether, given the ubiquity of wideband access.

> So don't be so defensive about MS. Every software company does it.

Oh, I'm not defensive about MS - I was simply throwing the flag on
obvious BS.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
5/16/2008 11:10:50 PM
Hi Phillip:

No.  An "Upgrade" adds functionality or new features.  It increments the
left-most number in the version: so, 11.3.9 to 12.0.0

The current file is a Service Release: it does not add any functions or
features at all, it simply repairs the ones that were meant to work in the
first place.

Companies DO sometimes step over the line and add functionality in a
Service Release, but they get yelled at every time they do it by the System
Administrators of the world.

If it's a Service Release or Service Pack, the Sys Admin does not have to
re-test or re-qualify their operating environment.  For an Upgrade, they do.

A "Service Release", by the way, will apply stand-alone to any version of
the software going back to the original shipped version.  It contains
complete replacement files.  (That's why they're so big...)

A "Service Pack" (sometimes called an "Update") does not contain a complete
set of files, and requires previous service packs to have already been
applied before it can install.

Hope this helps

On 16/05/08 7:22 AM, in article exwkwXttIHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
"Phillip Jones" <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:

> What we had as an update was the 130 some mb Patch from 12 to 12.01
>
> Them the 12.10 to 12.10 180 mb file, is what MS calls a service pack
> (SP) everyone else calls a major Upgrade. Then what come when the go fro
> 12 to 13(14) or 2012 is a complete version upgrade.
>
> What one shoots for is a two year turn over. But reality is it could be
> anywhere from 2-6 years. :-)
>
> CyberTaz wrote:
>>
>> On 5/14/08 2:55 PM, in article u0hYZQftIHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
>> "Phillip Jones" <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Be sure to make it understood. when you refer to *next* version you are
>>> referring to 2012. Not the next upgrade.
>>
>> Gee Phillip I'd a-thought that's why she wrote it explicitly as *next
>> version* - which is the same as "upgrade" - rather than *next update*.
>>
>> Regards |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Nhulunbuy, NT, Australia.  mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)

How to manage all email by using CRM 3.0? 06-20-07
How to config CRM to receive all email from many different email account in many different email service provider as hotmail?I cant do it in CRM Email Router? @Rimbecano If you add the e-mail address to the account or to one of the contacts of the account, e-mails that come in will be linked to the account or contact. If the e-mail is linked to the contact and the contact is linked to the account the e-mails will also show up in the account activities view. @chaolex You can only track incoming and outgoing e-mails on the Exchange server. You can not connect to hotmail/yahoo/gmail etc. etc...

Office installation error
My new PC came with Office trial version pre-loaded. I have since purchased Office Home & Student 2007. Before installing it, I uninstalled the trial version & the Assistant. In installing my new program, I got past entering my key and "Agree". It looked like installation was beginning. Then I got an "Error 1303: C:ProgramFiles(x86)\CommonFiles\MicrosoftShared\EQUATION Unable to access. Verify I have the EQUATION folder and that I have administrative rights and Retry." I have the folder on my computer and I am the Administrator. Still no go....

Office Web Component will be available in Office 2004?
Hi, I'd like to know if in Office 2004 will be available Office Web Component, an Office Tool which allows the opening, reading, writing in Safari or Internet Explorer. Thanks very much, Bye In article <BC344787.4D7F%NOSPAMPLEASE@NOSPAM.COM>, Microsoft User <NOSPAMPLEASE@NOSPAM.COM> wrote: > I'd like to know if in Office 2004 will be available Office Web Component, > an Office Tool which allows the opening, reading, writing in Safari or > Internet Explorer. nothing like that has been announced, and since the Windows OWC uses ActiveX, which isn't availa...

DST Update Issues
Hi, Has anyone had issues with the Outlook client functionality after installing the DST Patch? Most of our internal CRM users are receiving the following error msg: "An error occured loading Microsoft CRM functionality. Try restarting Microsoft Outlook. Contact you system administrator if errors persist" Of course, no one can access the CRM toolbar or any laptop client functionality. This began after we applied the CRM DST updates... ...

Thanks Anne but..
Good suggestion but nope the cells are formatted hh:mm Thank for your help ;-) Hi DannyJ, Just out of curiosity - do you really have to start a new thread each time you are going to say something regarding thes topic? :-) Regards, KL "DannyJ" <youhavegottobekidding@nospam.com> wrote in message news:eGc7AbYiFHA.328@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Good suggestion but nope the cells are formatted hh:mm > > Thank for your help ;-) > > ...

Return a 0 when vlookup returns #n/a
Hi I am doing a vlookup on cell a12 which looks up the entry from a12 in another tab. When the info from cell a12 is not in the other tab reference I am looking up I get a #n/a error. I would like to return a zero or a blank when the lookup does not return a match from cell a12 =VLOOKUP($A12,Sheet2!$D$15:$N$244,B$3,0) Please help. Regards Brian Hi Brian, try it this way: =3DIF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A12,Sheet2!$D$15:$N$244,B $3,0)),"",VLOOKUP($A12,Sheet2!$D$15:$N$244,B$3,0)) You can change the "" in the middle to 0 if you prefer that. Hope this helps. Pete On Apr 23, 2:44...

Entourage 2008 to Exchange 2003

Outlook in Office XP crashing ten to twelve times a day
My out look is crashing every few hours. I have tried compacting, Detect and Repair in Outlook and repair installation from the install discs without outlook running as well as SCANPST on the outlook.pst file to no avail. Although I am not usually doing the same thing when it crashes (and sometimes it crashes while I am not even working in it) It especially seems to crash at the moment with a Fatal Exception Error while I am trying to insert a file in an e-mail I am trying to send. (Up until this morning this never presented problems before and it MAY just be a problem with this part...

Office 2008 and Spaces?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Does anyone know when the issue with Spaces and Office 2008 will be fixed, please? The lack of information on this subject is depressing.... Seems like this issue has not been addressed with latest office update. Considering how major problems in usability this causes, I would expect this to be the top bug to be fixed. I have yet to see any of the bugs addressed by the updates, but "swooshing" me around my four spaces is Word doing to me every day. Thanks <Honza@officeformac.com> wrote: > Does anyo...

2 values on 1 axis
have a small spreadshee with 3 columns - Commodity, Tonnage and Value. think a bar chart showing the Tonnage and Value for each Commodity would be best but am having trouble setting it up ... any suggestions / tricks?? Leo - You could make a line chart, using commodity as the X values (category labels) and the other columns for Y values. Double click one of the series, and on the Axis tab, select Secondary. If you want a column chart, there's more work required to keep one set of columns from overlapping the other. I have posted instructions here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/...

[ANN] New and Updated Scripts
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3144512279_12329117 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit The following new and updated freeware AppleScripts for Entourage are available at MacScripter.net <http://macscripter.net/scriptbuilders/> Other Signature X 1.0.0 This script, when attached to a repeating schedule, will automatically change the signature of a new outgoing message to a non-default signature for specified recip...

Force to use RichEdit 2.0
Hello, Can someone tell me how to force compiler to use RichEdit 2.0+ for unicode app? I used a CHARFORMAT struct with unicode, it turns out the CHARFORMAT is still map to CHARFORMATA because #define _RICHEDIT_VER 0x0100 is defined in AFXWIN.H. and in RichEdit.h, it has #ifndef _RICHEDIT_VER #define _RICHEDIT_VER 0x0210 #endif Thus, RichEdit1.0 is used really. I tried to redef _RICHEDIT_VER to 0x0210, but it causes other problem. I would like to have rich edit to be able to display Asian characters. What is the proper way to make use of RichEdit2.0+? Please help. Thanks, XL Hello You...

Office 2008: Interface elements vanish if Leopard language is not
I have found a very disappointing bug in Leopard/Office 2008. If your interface language in Leopard is Russian (for example) - you have interface elements vanishing in Office 2008 which makes it unusable. In other words - if I open anything in Word and start to resize the document window - interface elements start to disappear. This happens only if specific languages of Mac OS interface are chosen, like Russian or Polish. However, if you set it to English or French or German - it works glitch-free fine. (What's that, some sophisticated ex-communist bloc ban??) Please suggest. Sup...

Microsoft Office Accounting 2009 ..Online transfer does not work
There does not seem to be a way to set up online transfer of the accounting file to and from the accountant. Office live does not support this feature. Why do they show it in the help file? After creating the office live account and try to transfer the data I get a message "this office live service is not availible from the current windows live ID account". ...

Showing 0 after decimal with ROUND

Office 2000/XP
We are looking for the functionality that was once in Office 97/98. That was the While You Were Out form. Alot of clients love the form, but unfortunately the later Office 2000/XP doesn't have the form. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks Steven Babcock Senior Network Engineer In The Black, Inc You should be able to use the same 97/98 form in later versions of Outlook. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:0b3901c3928d$7...

Out of Office #6
When i put the out of office on it only tells each person once that i am out of the office. Is there anyway of making the out of office go to everyone all of the time? I can't remember exactly - I don't have the facility on my home PC but I believe there is a tick box that states send to each recipient only once or words to that effect. Just untick the box and you should be away. Peter "Joanne Turner" <joannet@hp.com> wrote in message news:0f5901c36253$b77dfa00$a101280a@phx.gbl... > When i put the out of office on it only tells each person > once that i am out...

Advanced Security xfer to GP 10.0
If I upgrade to GP 10.0, will my security settings defined with Advanced Security automatically transfer if I choose to transfer security? You have the option of transferring existing security or not when you upgrade. So the answer is "yes if you want it to" patrick developer support -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "TConrad" <TConrad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2571029-E6A9-46AF-9D12-D42520A5AB3F@microsoft.com... > If I upgrade to GP 10.0, will my security settings defined wit...

Starting Outlook 6.0
I know it sounds silly but how do I start Outlook Express 6.0? I have a laptop with Win XP Home edition on it and there is no desktop icon for Outlook. Thanks for your help. Tony, to launch Outlook Express: 1-Start 2-Run 3-Enter "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE" (with quotes) 4-OK To create a desktop shortcut: 1-right-click your desktop 2-New 3-Shortcut 4-Enter "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE" (with quotes) or browse to that location ... -- DDM "DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tricks" Visit us at www.ddmcomputing.com "Ton...

NET Framework 12-27-09
Can I remove NET Framework 1.1 after 2.0 has been installed, or it must be kept in order for 2.0 to work properly? Thank you ploddingfate wrote: > Can I remove NET Framework 1.1 after 2.0 has been installed, or it must > be kept in order for 2.0 to work properly? > > Thank you > The relationship of the "releases" is explained here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework They're a "stack" of features. The graphic in this article, starts with 2.0, so previous releases such as 1.0 or 1.1 should be kept for any applications ...

Compare update through passport and direct download
I like the update feature that uses my passport in that it gets all accounts at once but... I really don't like having my financial data on a microsoft computer and the service seems spotty, at least during the last 3 weeks that I have been using it. Would I be better off just downloading account data from my bank's web site in money format and importing it into money? Roger "Roger" <x@y> wrote in message news:u7MIxjOiGHA.4776@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > > Would I be better off just downloading account data from my bank's web > site in money form...

How do I switch from 1,2,3... back to A,B,C... column reference na
I noticed in Excel 2003 both the rows and columns are numbered. As far creating and maintaining Excel formulas, I'd prefer the previous column labeling. Does anyone know how to switch back to the A,B,C labeling once a file has been saved and updated to the latest version of Excel? C, tools, options, general, uncheck R1C1 ref. style -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "C. White" <C. White@discussions.mi...

Office XP, Outlook event recurrence
I'm a bit puzzled by Outlook as part of Office, it does not seem to accept expressions. I want to schedule an event for the last Friday before the 21st of the month, easily expressed in Excel but not acceptable by Outlook. Have I misunderstood the way Office works? Is Outlook just a separate program? I would also like to use Excel expressions in the text of scheduled events to say "this is the 7th meeting of" or "this is the 3rd annual meeting of". I can't find any anchor date/time settings in messages or a way of using them. This is very odd as the tools are ther...

Can I buy upgrade for works to get office etc
I was told by a local retailer that if I have a recent version of works all I need to do to get excel or office it to buy the upgrade. Is this true? tia Hi see: http://www.microsoft.com/office/excel/howtobuy/default.mspx#EEAA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:07f401c4ac3c$dfc2d740$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I was told by a local retailer that if I have a recent > version of works all I need to do to get excel or office > it to buy the upgrade. Is this true? > tia Most newer versions of Works and Wor...

Office for Mac-----64 bit edition
Does anyone know if Microsoft Office for Mac is available in the 64 bit edtions and if so is there a URL. Any also URL at all that talks about Office 2004 for the Mac would help On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:49:04 -0500, Ritchie wrote (in article <BC39F8EB-5E77-4259-B21B-750B2CBF4B44@microsoft.com>): > Does anyone know if Microsoft Office for Mac is available in the 64 bit > edtions and if so is there a URL. Any also URL at all that talks about > Office 2004 for the Mac would help THere are plenty sites that talk about Office 2004. Try Google and you'll see... Now I ...