Word Will NOT Let Pages Become Default Word Processor

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I would like Pages NOT Word to be my default WP. Word overrides my command and insinuates itself as my default WP. How do I get Word to relinquish control and failing that, how do I uninstall Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. All I really want is Entourage. Thank you.
0
Cahlin

What do you mean by "default WP" & what "command" are you referring to?

Word doesn't control anything � When you open a file in any way other than
by File> Open within a specific program te OS determines what program to use
based on the file type. The one exception is if you open attachments to
email without saving them locally first. Whatever file type it's recognized
as on the mail server tells the OS what program to open it with.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/13/09 8:20 PM, in article 59baef80.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Cahlin@officeformac.com" <Cahlin@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I would like Pages NOT Word to be my default WP. Word overrides my command and
> insinuates itself as my default WP. How do I get Word to relinquish control
> and failing that, how do I uninstall Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. All I
> really want is Entourage. Thank you.

0
CyberTaz
12/14/2009 3:58:18 AM
Hello,

On 2009.12.14 10:20, in article 59baef80.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Cahlin@officeformac.com" <Cahlin@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I would like Pages NOT Word to be my default WP. Word overrides my command and
> insinuates itself as my default WP. How do I get Word to relinquish control
> and failing that, how do I uninstall Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. All I
> really want is Entourage. Thank you.

I'm assuming you're talking about changing the default program
that opens Word (.doc and .docx) files, is that correct?

In Finder, select any Word file, type Command+I to get the file's
info, and in the Application dropdown box, make sure that
Pages is selected. There should be a button below that which
says "Change All" or something like that. Click this to change
the file type association for all .doc files to Pages.

Does this help?

Jeff

2
Jeff
12/14/2009 4:04:13 AM
Jeff Chapman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 2009.12.14 10:20, in article 59baef80.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
> "Cahlin@officeformac.com"<Cahlin@officeformac.com>  wrote:
>
>> I would like Pages NOT Word to be my default WP. Word overrides my command and
>> insinuates itself as my default WP. How do I get Word to relinquish control
>> and failing that, how do I uninstall Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. All I
>> really want is Entourage. Thank you.
>
> I'm assuming you're talking about changing the default program
> that opens Word (.doc and .docx) files, is that correct?
>
> In Finder, select any Word file, type Command+I to get the file's
> info, and in the Application dropdown box, make sure that
> Pages is selected. There should be a button below that which
> says "Change All" or something like that. Click this to change
> the file type association for all .doc files to Pages.
>
> Does this help?
>
> Jeff

Actually change just for an individual file usually set just that for
that file.

To make sure that all of a type open. Highlight about 5 items. then hold
down control key and choose Get info which changes get summary Info.

Then go and  click on the file type chosen hold down until drop down
list shows up. choose desired application the choose Change all and
click okay to question asked. Now every file on the hard drive with that
file type will open with application you choose.
mailto:pjones1@kimbanet.com
0
Phillip
12/14/2009 10:45:45 PM
Jeff, I tried that initially but when I select Change All, Word reasserts itself and makes itself the default word processor. Question, is it possible to uninstall Word, Excel, and PowerPoint -- either all three or any combination, if so, how?
0
Cahlin

Printing WORD docs from a form

How do I change default font size for inserting text in ppt 07
Every time I add a text box to a page, it comes in ariel 54pt. HUGE! I want to reset the default to somethng like 24pt. How do I do this? PPT2007 Hi Set a text box the way you want it then right click -> set as default text box. Lucy -- Lucy Thomson PowerPoint MVP MOS Master Instructor www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au "PAH555" <PAH555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:501FF5A2-344F-4298-BF8D-1FD903341235@microsoft.com... > Every time I add a text box to a page, it comes in ariel 54pt. HUGE! I > want > to reset the defa...

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

Encoded Word Documents

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

Multiple sheets printed to single page
I have a spreadsheet with 3 sheets. Each sheet is just a small table but the column widths are specific, Each sheet is only 3.5 inches tall. I want to print all three sheets on a single page. How do I do this. I've been all over Excell and cant figure it out. Any attempts to merge the sheets ends up modifieing the column widths. Thanks Hi Docwatmo Try this http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#non-contiguous -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Docwatmo" <nospammy.dwatson@linncountyrec.com> wrote in message news:4654a420$0$504$815e3792@...

Chart does not print properly even if shows ok in page break previ
When I have a worksheet which includes a chart that is big in size and then I want it to print in one page then I use the fit to function in the page property window and select either a percentage or the number of pages (i.e, tall x wide). Once I print or do print preview the cells are shrunk so the fit to whatever size I requested but somehow the chart does not shrink. I looks as if it is an independent object. This is deceiving particularly in the page break preview which does show that my chart will fit inside my page but when I print it does something completely different. Exce...

Where are my saved word?

Page Numbers #15
Publisher 2007 Is there a field for the number of pages? eg Page x of y, where y is the total number of pages. I have found the current page number field (#), but not the total. Go to the Master Page, manually type of x pages after the #. Publisher doesn't count, it will be up to you to type the number of pages. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "ZootRot" <SendMeAsMuchSpamAsPossibleBecauseILoveReceivingSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:e4sBAF2sJHA.4876@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Publisher 2007 > > Is there a field for the number of pages? eg Pag...

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

Default Dialog lookout
Hello, whenever I add a dialog in Visual Studio.NET, resource editor, even if there is no item at all, there will be an OK and a CANCEL button added whenever I start the compiled application. Also a TODO-text is shown. The buttons and the text are not visible in the resource editor but whenever starting the application lateron. At the moment I just deactivate the callbacks of the buttons and put an item on top of the unwanted items so that I can not see them but this is an unsatisfying solution. Is there a way to deactivate the default elements of a dialog? As I can deactivate the call...

Can web page run an addin?
I'm interested to know if Excel can be automatically opened via a web page having an xla extension and auto run run its code (as it possible with an xls extension). And likewise as an inline email (I don't mean attachment). In XL2000 I can set my security level to Medium or High, and check the "Trust all installed add-ins and templates". This way I get workbook macro protection but my useful addins can run without annoying warnings. I'm happy to do this on the understanding that it's only me who can control whether or not to run any addin. But do I understan...

Formula to extract the last word from a cell
Anyone know of a formula that will extract the last word from a cell. For example if cell contains the text: Best available title How could I produce the result: "title" (And preferably be able to fill the formula down the column to get the last word from other cells in the column as well.) Thanks for any suggestions. =MID(A10,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A10," ",CHAR(1),B10))+1,99) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c4347e85-a3e2-4abe-b632-88643d4d244c@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... &...

Default DOCX file to open w/ Word 2007 and DOC to open with Word 2
Hi, I am trying to convert several hundred mail merge documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007. Currently, if I double click a document to open it, it opens in whichever version of Word was run last. What I would like, is for ..DOC files to open in 2003 and .DOCX files to open with 2007. I've tried to change the file types to do this, but can't make it 'stick'. Any suggestions? To prevent the two Word versions from "competing" over the file associations, see the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_wor...

copying Arabic into Word document on Mac
I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. It always comes out either backwards (left-right) or with the letters not correctly joined up (an Algerian colleague tells me). I have tried making the web page I am copying from into a PDF first, but doesn't help. Any advice greatly appreciated. Michael <huanzuiju@googlemail.com> wrote: > I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a > multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. > It always co...

limiting number of words in textbox in Word 2007
I created a Textbox in MS-Word 2007 by going to the Developer option->then chose Design Mode, then Legacy Tools->Text box Field. The MultiLine and Enterkey properties are True and the rest are default values. Is there a way I can limit the number of words to a certain number? I realize there is a way to limit the number of characters in the Textbox by the Maxlength value. Also, is it possible that a message appears when the user exceeds the maximum length informing him about that. Do I need to use VBA code or do the inbuilt features of word allow me to do that? The short ...

Can I modify the default shortcut menu in access 2007?
I have an access 2007 application. I have managed to create a shortcut menu "ExportToExcel" that calls a vba function and does the export as explained here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA102825091033.aspx But my new menu with one single item replaces the default shortcut menu with text filtering etc. . What I want is this new item ExportToExcel to be added to the existing default shortcut menu. Is it possible, and how? Regards from Tore On Nov 27, 9:28=A0pm, Tore <t...@nospam.nospam> wrote: > I have an access 2007 application. I have managed to...

microsoft word
is it possible to create a macro to open up word and copy and paste some data from excel into it. Thanks Debra Dalgleish has an example at: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#CopyToWord It's a way of copying comments in a worksheet to a word document. But you can see the structure nicely. head wrote: > > is it possible to create a macro to open up word and copy and paste some data from excel into it. Thanks -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Word conversion
I have a long list of items in a Word doc, and when I copy paste t Excel, all the items are in one cell. Is there a way to paste the item into Excel into different columns? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could use Data | Text to Columns | Delimited and choose a space as the delimiter. Just follow the dialogue. Regards Trevor "mrroboto >" <<mrroboto.1al9vr@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:mrroboto.1al9vr@excelforum-nospam.com... > I have a long list of items in a Word doc, and when I copy paste to > Excel, all the ite...