Word locks up opening some DOCx files

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I have created a few word documents in Word 2007 on a PC.  I brouhgt them home and cannot open.  Word freezes up and have to quit the program then &quot;REPORT or Ignore&quot;.  This is only on certain documents.  I have other files, doc, docx on Mac and open fine.  <br>
I have 12.2.3 version of word, updated it.  Could it be a font issue?  thanks.
0
bostonbri

The most likely issue is a missing update from Word 2007 on the PC.

Word 2007 had a bug where it was writing bad XML.  Since Word 2007 wrote it,
it would automatically copy with it, and nobody noticed until Mac Word
started crashing because the code was bad.

Make sure Word 2007 is fully up-to-date, and then delete the Normal.dotm
template from Word 2007.

To fix the documents, you will need to open them in Word 2007 after the
update, and Save As to a different file.

Cheers

On 3/03/10 5:48 AM, in article 59bb3bb8.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"bostonbri@officeformac.com" <bostonbri@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I have created a few word documents in Word 2007 on a PC.  I brouhgt them home
> and cannot open.  Word freezes up and have to quit the program then "REPORT or
> Ignore".  This is only on certain documents.  I have other files, doc, docx on
> Mac and open fine.
> I have 12.2.3 version of word, updated it.  Could it be a font issue?  thanks.

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

1
John
3/2/2010 8:49:42 PM
Great I will try that.  I did do alot of 2007 updates SP1, then SP2, then KB updates to Word etc.  I did open after the update, but didn't do what you suggested about normal.dot and renaming.  I may copy and paste as well to a new word document and try that also. <br><br>thanks.
0
bostonbri
3/3/2010 4:19:31 AM
This did not work.  it still freezes after doing what you suggested.  Any other ideas?
0
bostonbri
3/3/2010 11:11:10 PM
Now you're being difficult :-)

Check that you have 12.2.3 update in place on Office 2008, and OS 10.6.2
update in place for OS X.  Also:  Just ensure that Word 2008 will still open
a document that was "not" created by Word 2007.

Then use FontBook to Find Duplicates, then Resolve Duplicates.

Then use Disk Utility to repair permissions on the boot drive.

Then shut down and wait for the machine to turn off.

Then re-start (which will perform the Unix clean-up tasks).

Then try again.  If it's not fixed this time, we'll have to delete the Prefs
on the Mac side.

When you re-saved the document out of a fully-updated Word 2007, it "should"
have fixed the document so that a fully-updated copy of Word 2008 can read
it without a problem.

Sadly, there are some things Word 2007 can create in a file that Word 2008
can't handle.  But it's not supposed to crash (or freeze).  It "should"
simply ignore the content it doesn't understand.

Hang in there...

On 4/03/10 10:11 AM, in article 59bb3bb8.2@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"bostonbri@officeformac.com" <bostonbri@officeformac.com> wrote:

> This did not work.  it still freezes after doing what you suggested.  Any
> other ideas?

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.
Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410; mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
3/4/2010 4:31:20 AM
What I did is uninstalled Office 2008 using their utility, manually removed any microsoft references in \Library\Fonts\Microsoft <br>
Any in preferences in user etc and then reinstalled office and updated to 12.2.3.  Still the same issue with not opening the docx word file. <br><br>On the 2007 version I can open fine.  The 2007 is updated to SP2 MSO.  What I will try next is I copy and paste special as &quot;formatted text&quot; into a brand new document and recreated the file and saved as a new name Word 2003 compatible version.  See if that works. <br><br>The font I'm using is Times New Roman 12.  I did run repair permissions after all new installs and have no errors (one is the Intel error that cannot be repaired), but no permission issues in disk utility.  Do you think it's a font issue.  After the reinstall of MS2008 the fontbook showed the same duplicates of fonts due to MS2008.  Font book had 0 errors before the reinstall of MS2008. <br>
Thanks
0
bostonbri
3/4/2010 1:40:53 PM
Hi Brian:

See my previous post: no, I don't think it's a font issue, I think it's a
"document content" issue.  A Font Issue results in "peculiar behaviour"
(freezing, usually) not "failure to open".

On 5/03/10 12:40 AM, in article 59bb3bb8.4@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"bostonbri@officeformac.com" <bostonbri@officeformac.com> wrote:

> After the reinstall of MS2008 the fontbook showed the same duplicates
> of fonts due to MS2008.  Font book had 0 errors before the reinstall of
> MS2008.

Yes, that's expected.  A re-install will put BACK the Microsoft fonts.
Currently, Apple does not provide any useable or reliable way for the
installer to ask the system whether any given font "currently exists" before
installation.  There's just no reliable way to find out if it's already
there!  Next time you have Steve Jobs round to dinner, if you could mention
this, the Microsoft Developers would be very grateful...

Normally, you should use FontBook and resolve the duplicates by keeping the
MOST RECENT version of each of the fonts, which is usually the Microsoft one
(depending on when you bought your computer...)

Cheers

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.
Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410; mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John

Printing WORD docs from a form

HELP!! Publisher won't open
I have Publisher 2000. When I click on the icon on the desktop, the program opens to the catalog page. When I click on 'existing files'. the program closes down. I can open the existing file in Windows Explorer, but as soon as I click on something, it closes down. This is a relatively new computer running Windows XP Media Center. I have been able to access my existing file before on this system. Can someone please help? Can you open Publisher in Safe Mode? Do you have a default printer enabled? Insert your 2000 disk, select repair. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.micros...

error in opening tif attachments
when attempting to open a tif format attachment sent to my outlook email, it is being opened in word and the document is no longer readable. Need help in correcting this problem ...

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

Encoded Word Documents

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

Where are my saved word?

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

Why am I rebuilding OST file every 4 weeks???
This can be quite a pain when your inbox is a gigabyte or larger This is a major ???&*()$@#^ bug in Office 2003, but not the only one I have found. I want my money back. Your Inbox is over 1 Gig?... Make a PST or something... or are you trying to test the boundaries o what this program can and cant do ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Your Inbox is over 1 Gig?... Make a PST or something... or are you trying to test the boundaries of what this progr...

Locked for Editing 04-09-10
We are constantly having someone open up an excel workbook within our network and not closing it before they go home. This does not allow us to continue adding entries into the workbook throughout the night. We are forced to save the workbook just as a copy then the next day we have to go back and enter all of the entries that occurred over the previous night, a lot of tedious work. Is there any Macro or other function that would enable me to force this document to be closed on the network? We've tried communicating the necessity of closing the document but to no avail. Is ...

Locking specific cells
HI i posted a query already - please ignore that. In a data entry sheet column b has dates and B3 has specific date i like to lock adjacent cells in columns F,G & H if the date in column B is not date in B3 (criteria) further should not allow to delete anyrow when there is value in cells of F,G & H columns. if there is no value then those can be deleted. sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) if cell(b column) = $B$3 then activesheet.unprotect ="hi" cell.("F"&row).locked = false cell.("G"&row).locked = false cell.(&qu...

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7

Excel documents not displayed when excel is opened
When I open excel and select file and open documents that I've saved are not displayed, however if I go into my most recent documents these documents are displayed. Why are they not being displayed in excel vs. my most recent documents? -- rabhatty Depending on how you opened the file and the version of excel, not every file that you worked on appears at the bottom of the File dropdown (in the Most Recently Used file list). Files that are opened by doubleclicking in windows explorer under xl2k (IIRC) won't appear. (xl2002 (I think) changed this behavior.) You may want to post ...

Formula to extract the last word from a cell
Anyone know of a formula that will extract the last word from a cell. For example if cell contains the text: Best available title How could I produce the result: "title" (And preferably be able to fill the formula down the column to get the last word from other cells in the column as well.) Thanks for any suggestions. =MID(A10,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A10," ",CHAR(1),B10))+1,99) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c4347e85-a3e2-4abe-b632-88643d4d244c@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... &...

File size and data loss compare
I have a file that I download off my companies webserver. When I pull it off the webserver to my harddrive it comes down as a 12 meg CSV file. I open the file in Excel 2000 and then save it as an Excel file and the file size changes to around 3 meg. When the file is in Excel I have 6000 rows and the columns go out to AK. Is there an easy way to see what I am loosing when I go from the CSV to Excel? It worrys me that there is such a huge file difference Sounds like your file is comma-delimited...I assume you are using Excel's built-in conversion tool to seperate the lines of...

Default DOCX file to open w/ Word 2007 and DOC to open with Word 2
Hi, I am trying to convert several hundred mail merge documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007. Currently, if I double click a document to open it, it opens in whichever version of Word was run last. What I would like, is for ..DOC files to open in 2003 and .DOCX files to open with 2007. I've tried to change the file types to do this, but can't make it 'stick'. Any suggestions? To prevent the two Word versions from "competing" over the file associations, see the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_wor...

Import HTML Form Data in Multiple Email (multiple text files)
PROBLEM: I have an HTML form on a webpage that submits (posts) the form data results to me via email. I now have hundreds of emails (.eml files from Windows Live Mail) in a folder on my desktop that contain newsletter signup data from people wanting to join my mailing list. These are names, email addresses, phone numbers, and some check box information. The data is in the body of the messages in the following format: Field 1: User Entry 1 Field 2: User Entry 2 Field 3: User Entry 3 SOLUTION NEEDED: I need a way to automate importation of the data from the text inside thes...

copying Arabic into Word document on Mac
I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. It always comes out either backwards (left-right) or with the letters not correctly joined up (an Algerian colleague tells me). I have tried making the web page I am copying from into a PDF first, but doesn't help. Any advice greatly appreciated. Michael <huanzuiju@googlemail.com> wrote: > I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a > multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. > It always co...

Log File Issues
On my second partition on exchange 2000, my log files have filled it up. Total there are just over 35Gig worth (2.4Meg of free space) of log files in the ExDATA dir. Can I delete some/all of these? I cannot mount the store and think that this might have something to do with it. Thanks in advance -Vince do not delete these files...take a full, online backup immediately...this will purge the committed log files...are you not performing nightly backups? If you delete those files, you could run into serious trouble later... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Vince" <Vince@discussions...

limiting number of words in textbox in Word 2007
I created a Textbox in MS-Word 2007 by going to the Developer option->then chose Design Mode, then Legacy Tools->Text box Field. The MultiLine and Enterkey properties are True and the rest are default values. Is there a way I can limit the number of words to a certain number? I realize there is a way to limit the number of characters in the Textbox by the Maxlength value. Also, is it possible that a message appears when the user exceeds the maximum length informing him about that. Do I need to use VBA code or do the inbuilt features of word allow me to do that? The short ...