Word display a strange message while we open a file for the first time

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Dear all, <br>
0
pierrot10

Hi Pierrot:

Yes, we ALL know about this bug with Office 2004 and Office 2008.

The bottom line is:  "This will happen sometimes" and all we can suggest is
to keep applying the updates to both OS X and Microsoft Office as they come
out, and hope that the bug will be fixed eventually.  Although it hasn't
been for the past ten years or so...

There are some things you could play around with:

1)  The Unix ID of the logged in user must be unique.  By default, Mac OS X
sets it to 501.  If you use server authentication, (e.g. Active Directory)
each user will be given a unique UID and the bug will happen less often.

2)  The user needs Read/Write/Remove access to the volume Temp folder, which
is normally created at the root of the volume.  If the user does not have
that, you will get these errors.

But really, the only thing we can say is that it's a bug, and we don't know
either the cause or a perfect solution.

Hope this helps

On 2/12/09 7:42 AM, in article 59badea0.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"pierrot10@officeformac.com" <pierrot10@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
> I have some iMac and user use it to be logged on a server. Network account are
> created on the server. Also their Home folder and documents are on the server.
>
> When user opens a file (i think mainly the docx) their get that error message:
>
> "file" is being used by "another user". Do you want to make a copy?
>
> We are all sure that no other user is reading or writing on that file. And
> this happen only when he/she open it for the first time. If he/she close it
> and immediately reopen it, the error message is not displayed.
>
> Are you an idea about it?

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
12/2/2009 1:47:46 AM
Dear John, <br>
Many thank for you clear answer. Now I know and I will wait for the next update
0
pierrot10
12/2/2009 10:15:51 AM
Hi John;

Wasn't there also something about connecting with AFP rather than SMB... Or
am I confused as usual? Networking just ain't my gig anymore :-}

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/1/09 8:47 PM, in article C73C1272.52E9%john@mcghie.name, "John McGhie"
<john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> Hi Pierrot:
>
> Yes, we ALL know about this bug with Office 2004 and Office 2008.
>
> The bottom line is:  "This will happen sometimes" and all we can suggest is
> to keep applying the updates to both OS X and Microsoft Office as they come
> out, and hope that the bug will be fixed eventually.  Although it hasn't
> been for the past ten years or so...
>
> There are some things you could play around with:
>
> 1)  The Unix ID of the logged in user must be unique.  By default, Mac OS X
> sets it to 501.  If you use server authentication, (e.g. Active Directory)
> each user will be given a unique UID and the bug will happen less often.
>
> 2)  The user needs Read/Write/Remove access to the volume Temp folder, which
> is normally created at the root of the volume.  If the user does not have
> that, you will get these errors.
>
> But really, the only thing we can say is that it's a bug, and we don't know
> either the cause or a perfect solution.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> On 2/12/09 7:42 AM, in article 59badea0.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
> "pierrot10@officeformac.com" <pierrot10@officeformac.com> wrote:
>
>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel
>> Dear all,
>> I have some iMac and user use it to be logged on a server. Network account
>> are
>> created on the server. Also their Home folder and documents are on the
>> server.
>>
>> When user opens a file (i think mainly the docx) their get that error
>> message:
>>
>> "file" is being used by "another user". Do you want to make a copy?
>>
>> We are all sure that no other user is reading or writing on that file. And
>> this happen only when he/she open it for the first time. If he/she close it
>> and immediately reopen it, the error message is not displayed.
>>
>> Are you an idea about it?
>
>  --
>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
CyberTaz
12/2/2009 11:30:51 AM
Hi Bob:

There was...  My memory is fading...

If you connect to the same physical device using both AFP and SMB, you will
live in interesting times.  That poster cured his problem by dismounting all
his external drives, then re-connecting them all using SMB only.

There's also an issue with "lock" files.  When a Microsoft application opens
a file on the network, it adds a "lock" file (the name begins with ~ ) to
the same folder as the file, so other applications can tell who is using
that file.

If that file gets abandoned (say, because Word crashes...) the server still
thinks the file is in use when it is not.

These are hidden files, so normally you cannot see them.  If you want to,
issue the following command in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Then re-launch the Finder.

But that's just another thing we can do to entertain ourselves while waiting
for things to be fixed...

Cheers

On 2/12/09 10:30 PM, in article C73BBA1B.57FF1%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net,
"CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> Hi John;
>
> Wasn't there also something about connecting with AFP rather than SMB... Or
> am I confused as usual? Networking just ain't my gig anymore :-}
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 12/1/09 8:47 PM, in article C73C1272.52E9%john@mcghie.name, "John McGhie"
> <john@mcghie.name> wrote:
>
>> Hi Pierrot:
>>
>> Yes, we ALL know about this bug with Office 2004 and Office 2008.
>>
>> The bottom line is:  "This will happen sometimes" and all we can suggest is
>> to keep applying the updates to both OS X and Microsoft Office as they come
>> out, and hope that the bug will be fixed eventually.  Although it hasn't
>> been for the past ten years or so...
>>
>> There are some things you could play around with:
>>
>> 1)  The Unix ID of the logged in user must be unique.  By default, Mac OS X
>> sets it to 501.  If you use server authentication, (e.g. Active Directory)
>> each user will be given a unique UID and the bug will happen less often.
>>
>> 2)  The user needs Read/Write/Remove access to the volume Temp folder, which
>> is normally created at the root of the volume.  If the user does not have
>> that, you will get these errors.
>>
>> But really, the only thing we can say is that it's a bug, and we don't know
>> either the cause or a perfect solution.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> On 2/12/09 7:42 AM, in article 59badea0.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>> "pierrot10@officeformac.com" <pierrot10@officeformac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
>>> Intel
>>> Dear all,
>>> I have some iMac and user use it to be logged on a server. Network account
>>> are
>>> created on the server. Also their Home folder and documents are on the
>>> server.
>>>
>>> When user opens a file (i think mainly the docx) their get that error
>>> message:
>>>
>>> "file" is being used by "another user". Do you want to make a copy?
>>>
>>> We are all sure that no other user is reading or writing on that file. And
>>> this happen only when he/she open it for the first time. If he/she close it
>>> and immediately reopen it, the error message is not displayed.
>>>
>>> Are you an idea about it?
>>
>>  --
>>
>> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>>
>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
>> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
>> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John

Very strange laptop battery problem?
my laptop is a HP CG60-243CL and its about 7 months old. Whenever i would put my battery charger into my laptop it says "plugged in, not charging" this is when it's on. Most particularly it has a blinking LED light on the charging icon (Lightning bolt icon). However, when i charge it when it's put on shutdown/sleep/hibernate the LED light (The lightning bolt icon) has a solid white light. So therefore it is charging. Does anyone know the reason why my laptop is acting this way? -- gamobigz -----------------------------------------------------------------------...

Printing WORD docs from a form

SetPowerState on display driver
Hello, I'm working on windows ce 5.0 and a Freescale iMX31 BSP. I want to turn off the display without using ExtEscape() (I have implemented this solution and it works fine) but using IOCTL_POWER_SET control code or SetPowerState function. To avoid using DeviceIoControl I suppose that the second solution is the better. My question is the following : the display driver isn't a stream driver, so what is the value of the first parameter for the function SetPowerState ? Thanks, Paolo Hi, There is no such funciton "SetPowerState" in windows CE. You can use Set...

Reading Pane for Draft Messages
I am unable to turn on the Reading Pane for messages in the Drafts folder for Outlook 2003. (This worked fine with prior versions of Outlook.) Any suggestions?? Thanks, Gerry This is by design. Search the help file for 'reading pane' and check the first link >> "The Reading Pane is not available for the Drafts folder." "Gerry" <gwb@professorbeyer.com> wrote in message news:<0d4e01c3a2f1$2429e7d0$a601280a@phx.gbl>... > I am unable to turn on the Reading Pane for messages in > the Drafts folder for Outlook 2003. (This worked fine >...

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

At Windows Logon a message...
Stating that the user has one unread e-mail occurs. I recently deleted one user from the system and deleted one account of mine to add another. At the time I deleted them I didn't think any were unread. How do I get rid of this message. http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/winxp_unread.htm=20 --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Muddle asked: | Stating that the user has one unread e-mail occurs. | I recentl...

Cell text not displaying (Excel 2003)
I'm having a problem with Excel. Some cell text is not being displayed. However, the text does display in the formula box if you select one of the "bad" cells. The files that do this are on a network share and work fine on my other computer. I've uninstalled and re-installed Office and the problem won't go away. I also tried copying the files over to the computer in question and that didn't help, either. If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thanks! Chad Try this: Copy a cell that is displaying. Select the cells that are not displayin...

Encoded Word Documents

message disappears too fast; how can I see it?
Outlook 2002, SP3. I've noticed when I exit the program, as it is closing, it puts up a rectangular message box (after the main window has closed), then closes it immediately. It takes just a fraction of a second, just long enough for me to see there's something there, but not long enough to see what! If you have any idea what this could be, or how I could slow it down so I could see it, let me know. The program seems to operate correctly in every other respect, I just don't know what that blazing fast message box is trying to say. thx, Randy Randy Nevin wrote: > Out...

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

Fixed Asset Import Multiple Times?
Scenario: We have a new client on GP 9.0, SQL 2005. They are just starting to use Fixed Assets. We are planning on doing the initial import of fixed assets via Excel and the Fixed Asset Import Wizard. However, they will have many acquisitions in the next few months/years of additional companies (from which they will acquire many new fixed asets at a time). Question: Can we do additional imports (from excel and the FA import/export wizard) for new/additional fixed assets we acquire during these acquisitions? We would want to maintain all our current Fixed Assets, of course, and j...

Where are my saved word?

Automatically send out of office reply based on "show time as" sta
Can you set Outlook 2007 to automatically send out of office replies if you have appointments that show your time as "Out of Office"? "CaroleCarlo" <CaroleCarlo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5168334-0586-44E9-90C9-EFDE0F55F959@microsoft.com... > Can you set Outlook 2007 to automatically send out of office replies if you > have appointments that show your time as "Out of Office"? If you're using Exchange 2007 as the backend, you can specify start and end times for when the OO messages will be sent, but it isn't...

Data, Group got error message Cannot shift object off sheet
I created a command grouping several columns together by going to Data, Group. When I go to click on the "-" sign to group. It gives me an error message;"Cannot shift object off sheet". Why? and how can I fix it. Maybe you have some objects that get rearranged when you hide the columns using your grouping symbols. This may have some suggestions that work for you. It's kind of a similar problem. XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769 Remember to look for comments and merged ...

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7

re-import old messages into Entourage after crash?
Basically, since Entourage kept quitting on startup, I followed MS's directions and created a new "main identity." Great, Entourage works fine now, but all my old messages are gone! I know where they are, though--in my old "Main identity" folder in a file called "Messages"--98 MB of them. I tried replacing the "Messages" file in my new main identity folder with my old "Messages" file, but Entourage still only shows one message in the inbox! "Import" won't let me import the old "Messages" file. I can't drag and ...

Why am I rebuilding OST file every 4 weeks???
This can be quite a pain when your inbox is a gigabyte or larger This is a major ???&*()$@#^ bug in Office 2003, but not the only one I have found. I want my money back. Your Inbox is over 1 Gig?... Make a PST or something... or are you trying to test the boundaries o what this program can and cant do ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Your Inbox is over 1 Gig?... Make a PST or something... or are you trying to test the boundaries of what this progr...

Move message from on Public folder to another
I have a public folder that receives e-mail from serveral different domains. I need to move the e-mail messages from certain domains to another public folder. I have tried to use the folder assisant. However I can not find a way to use a wild card with the folder assiasant. Is there a way to move messages from one folder to another based off of the senders domain. I also need this to run on the server side. We use Exchange 2003. Thanks in advance. ...

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

Post 5.5 to 03 Migration Displays wrong Administrative Group in AD
Hello I have a unique problem. We migrated 1 Exchange 5.5 server (Exchange site 5.5 1)to Exchange 2000SP3 and 2 Servers running 5.5 (Exchange Sites 2 & 3) to Exchange 2003 Our WIndows server topology is this One root domain, two child domains 1 Exchange 2000 server in 1 Child domain 2 Exchange 2003 Servers in the second Child domai The Exchange migration track we followed was this The First Child Domain performed an in place upgrade from 5.5 to 0 The Second Child domain (2 Exchange 5.5 Servers 2 Sites) performed an upgrade method in which we installed an Exchange 03 Server into Each 5....