Word 2008 Drawing toolbar

It seems to me that the drawing facilities are much less powerful than
with the last version of MS Word for Mac. When drawing a line all I
can get is a thick blue line. In fact everything is blue. What am I
missing please. Thanks, BrianKR
0
BrianKR

There's no question that the new capabilities are 'different' -- whether you
choose to categorize them as 'better' or 'worse' is a matter of personal
interpretation :-) The new tools are based on a completely redesigned
graphics engine & the current version of Mac Office offers a somewhat
limited implementation of the first generation of that new engine. The next
release will most likely provide significantly enhanced capabilities.

In the meanwhile, what's mucking up the works is that MS Marketing has
convinced Development that users want thick blue lines with shadows as well
as shapes filled with that same color & effect. Ergo, that's what is set as
the default formatting for the Shapes & defined by what is called an Office
Theme. One option is to select a different Document Theme, and you can also
create Custom Themes. See Word Help on the topic: Create a custom theme

However, there's nothing about the formatting that can't be changed directly
once the shape has been created. Use the tools of the Formatting Palette in
the Toolbox or double-click the shape to produce the Format AutoShape dialog
in order to produce the effect you prefer.

After you format a shape in any given document you can Control/Right-Click
it & select Set AutoShape Defaults. Any new shapes you create in the
document from then on will be formatted in the manner of the one you use as
the 'model'. Additionally, you can open the Normal.dotm template, create &
format any shape you choose in the manner you prefer & set it as the default
in that same way. Save, delete the shape, then close & save the template.
[The only thing you can't permanently remove is the damned shadow in
Normal.dotm -- it always comes back.] In any new documents you then create,
your specs will be used as the defaults.

Once you explore the capabilities you may find them more to your liking...
Have a look at the topics within the Graphics heading on the Mactopia page:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx?product=Word%202008&app=4

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/23/10 4:22 AM, in article
e9ff37ed-27b8-4dd7-a6ec-8db15463f434@l30g2000yqb.googlegroups.com, "BrianKR"
<brianandmarjorie@bigpond.com> wrote:

> It seems to me that the drawing facilities are much less powerful than
> with the last version of MS Word for Mac. When drawing a line all I
> can get is a thick blue line. In fact everything is blue. What am I
> missing please. Thanks, BrianKR

0
CyberTaz
1/23/2010 12:15:58 PM
You can't get rid of the shadow, but you can make it unnoticeable by setting
distance=0, blur=0, and transparency=100%.  You will not see the shadow and
it will permanently save in normal.dotm.  Also if you choose .74 or .76
instead of .75 for your line thickness, it will permanently save in
normal.dotm too.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

> There's no question that the new capabilities are 'different' -- whether you
> choose to categorize them as 'better' or 'worse' is a matter of personal
> interpretation :-) The new tools are based on a completely redesigned
> graphics engine & the current version of Mac Office offers a somewhat
> limited implementation of the first generation of that new engine. The next
> release will most likely provide significantly enhanced capabilities.
>
> In the meanwhile, what's mucking up the works is that MS Marketing has
> convinced Development that users want thick blue lines with shadows as well
> as shapes filled with that same color & effect. Ergo, that's what is set as
> the default formatting for the Shapes & defined by what is called an Office
> Theme. One option is to select a different Document Theme, and you can also
> create Custom Themes. See Word Help on the topic: Create a custom theme
>
> However, there's nothing about the formatting that can't be changed directly
> once the shape has been created. Use the tools of the Formatting Palette in
> the Toolbox or double-click the shape to produce the Format AutoShape dialog
> in order to produce the effect you prefer.
>
> After you format a shape in any given document you can Control/Right-Click
> it & select Set AutoShape Defaults. Any new shapes you create in the
> document from then on will be formatted in the manner of the one you use as
> the 'model'. Additionally, you can open the Normal.dotm template, create &
> format any shape you choose in the manner you prefer & set it as the default
> in that same way. Save, delete the shape, then close & save the template.
> [The only thing you can't permanently remove is the damned shadow in
> Normal.dotm -- it always comes back.] In any new documents you then create,
> your specs will be used as the defaults.
>
> Once you explore the capabilities you may find them more to your liking...
> Have a look at the topics within the Graphics heading on the Mactopia page:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx?product=Word%202008&app=4
>
> HTH |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 1/23/10 4:22 AM, in article
> e9ff37ed-27b8-4dd7-a6ec-8db15463f434@l30g2000yqb.googlegroups.com, "BrianKR"
> <brianandmarjorie@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> > It seems to me that the drawing facilities are much less powerful than
> > with the last version of MS Word for Mac. When drawing a line all I
> > can get is a thick blue line. In fact everything is blue. What am I
> > missing please. Thanks, BrianKR
>
> .

Thanks for the insights. Now that I think about it, your suggestions
certainly make sense, but I confess I'd never pursued it that far because I
seldom use those tools in the first place :-) I'm afraid I subscribe to the
school of thought that suggests that you shouldn't have to completely
redesign/redefine the tools in order to get basic functionality.

I'm sure this additional info will be useful to many who look here for
answers... Thanks for sharing!

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/29/10 2:30 PM, in article
93BA6C4C-195B-4E31-997A-F6936CA30708@microsoft.com, "Shadow and line
thickness issues" <Shadow and line thickness
issues@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> You can't get rid of the shadow, but you can make it unnoticeable by setting
> distance=0, blur=0, and transparency=100%.  You will not see the shadow and
> it will permanently save in normal.dotm.  Also if you choose .74 or .76
> instead of .75 for your line thickness, it will permanently save in
> normal.dotm too.
>
> "CyberTaz" wrote:
>
>> There's no question that the new capabilities are 'different' -- whether you
>> choose to categorize them as 'better' or 'worse' is a matter of personal
>> interpretation :-) The new tools are based on a completely redesigned
>> graphics engine & the current version of Mac Office offers a somewhat
>> limited implementation of the first generation of that new engine. The next
>> release will most likely provide significantly enhanced capabilities.
>>
>> In the meanwhile, what's mucking up the works is that MS Marketing has
>> convinced Development that users want thick blue lines with shadows as well
>> as shapes filled with that same color & effect. Ergo, that's what is set as
>> the default formatting for the Shapes & defined by what is called an Office
>> Theme. One option is to select a different Document Theme, and you can also
>> create Custom Themes. See Word Help on the topic: Create a custom theme
>>
>> However, there's nothing about the formatting that can't be changed directly
>> once the shape has been created. Use the tools of the Formatting Palette in
>> the Toolbox or double-click the shape to produce the Format AutoShape dialog
>> in order to produce the effect you prefer.
>>
>> After you format a shape in any given document you can Control/Right-Click
>> it & select Set AutoShape Defaults. Any new shapes you create in the
>> document from then on will be formatted in the manner of the one you use as
>> the 'model'. Additionally, you can open the Normal.dotm template, create &
>> format any shape you choose in the manner you prefer & set it as the default
>> in that same way. Save, delete the shape, then close & save the template.
>> [The only thing you can't permanently remove is the damned shadow in
>> Normal.dotm -- it always comes back.] In any new documents you then create,
>> your specs will be used as the defaults.
>>
>> Once you explore the capabilities you may find them more to your liking...
>> Have a look at the topics within the Graphics heading on the Mactopia page:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx?product=Word%202008&app=4
>>
>> HTH |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>>

>> On 1/23/10 4:22 AM, in article
>> e9ff37ed-27b8-4dd7-a6ec-8db15463f434@l30g2000yqb.googlegroups.com, "BrianKR"
>> <brianandmarjorie@bigpond.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to me that the drawing facilities are much less powerful than
>>> with the last version of MS Word for Mac. When drawing a line all I
>>> can get is a thick blue line. In fact everything is blue. What am I
>>> missing please. Thanks, BrianKR
>>
>> .

0
CyberTaz

Can typing macros be used in Word?
I was wondering, can I install (or program) text-typing macros into Word 2007? The type of macros that I am looking for are the only commonly found in other text editors, such as Emacs on Unix. For example, if someone types the string "zfbi" into a document, I want Word to immediately convert this string to "Federal Bureau of Investstigation. Or, "zwww" should be replaced with "World Wide Web". BTW, I have a master file of text strings (or macros) that I want Word to recognize and replace with expanded strings. So, I'm just wondering wha...

Use Word 2007 to edit Outlook 2003?
I have Word 2007 from the teacher and student edition, so it did not come with Outlook 2007. I use Outlook 2003 from an earlier package. I would like to use Word as my email editor, but when I go to Outlook's Tools/Options/Mail Format tab the boxes say Word 2003 and are grayed out; there is no option for Word 2007, nor a way to click on Word 2003. Is there a way to use Word as my email editor? Thanks, tfall No. Version must match. It has been ever thus. -- Russ Valentine "tfall" <tfall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A58F9CAE-086B-4B7...

Does InstaColl work well with Word, Excel, Powerpoint?
I found the following rave reviews and a press release regarding InstaColl, a free online collaboration application/service. Have you tried it? I would like if it can be installed/uninstalled without breaking the currently intalled Office applications. http://spaces.msn.com/members/ket000/Blog/cns!1pm_peVcRrtQtZAc4WaU3FBA!154.entry Real-Time Sharing Of Microsoft Office Documents And Applications: Instacoll vs. Conferral http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2005/04/30/realtime_sharing_of_microsoft_office.htm InstaColl : http://www.instacoll.com/ Instacoll is completely free for one-to-one collab...

drawing not appearing on screen
I had to reinstall Publisher some months ago. Since then many of my documents simply dont show correctly on screen. In particular I can never see the lines around text boxes - although they print perfectly OK. This obviously makes it difficult to make changes! Any ideas? I have tried varions screen resolutions, and all my drivers and software fixes are up to date. Help!! Look in the Accessibility Options folder in the control panel, Display tab, uncheck high contrast. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com <Anthorin@mypla...

Money 2008 Investment Cash Transaction
I just noticed when converting M4 to M8 that I have investment cash transactions going all the way back to 1997. I guess one has to carry investment transactions to determine when stocks are bought and sold. Is there anyway to archive investment cash transaction. Seems like it would decrease the size of the database? Thanks Mike Size, schmize. Who care? When 9GB DVD-R DLs are under 2 bucks and one can buy 500GB disks for under $200, size isn't the issue it once was. Archiving at best probably wouldn't shrink your file much and many of the long time posters recommend against it. ...

Continuous traffic on port 445
We have a small SBS-2008 based network with one SBS 2008 server and 3 PCs. The PCs run Windows XP Pro, Vista Business and Win 7 Pro respectively. The computers are all connected to a single, managed Gigabit Ethernet switch as is a Netgear DSL router/firewall. The operating system installs on all the machines are 'by-the-book' with no customisations from standard other than the latest drivers. The only software we regularly use is Office 2007 Pro. The 'issue' we're having is with the Win 7 PC. It is transmitting a continuous stream of packets on port 445 to th...

Numbering of captions in Word 2003
I'm preparing an important manual for the Navy. I have a few tables in Chapter 2. The first couple, numbered automatically by Word, have captions Table 2-1 and Table 2-2. The third one, though, insists on being called Table 2-4. Now, I'm not using Track Changes and I've followed all the rules in setting up captions. I've even used F9 on my 3rd table and even 'Update Fields'. It's as if some 'ghost table' numbered 2-3 is lurking somewhere in my 2nd chapter but I can't find it! Please help me to number my captions properly. Thank you. -- H...

Pasting Excel charts into Word
Whenever I paste Excel charts into Word, the fonts end up looking terrible. Is there an easy solution? Pasting as a picture does not work. The only thing that does work is right clicking on the chart while in Word, selecting "Edit Picture", then fixing the text that has changed position and direction. But then my chart is no longer a simple picture. Help! How are you pasting it? I have no problem using the Word Insert Object command. 1 - In Excel, have the chart saved in its own separate .xls file, no other worksheets. 2 - In Word, choose Insert>Object. 3 - Click on the Cre...

Saving Word documents into Outlook / Exchange folders
I have found it is possible via Windows Explorer to click on a Word document and drag it to an Outlook folder. Is it possible to save aword document directly to an Outlook / Exchange folder, say via "Save As"? If so, what would the file path need to be? Thank you for any help you can give yo point me in the right direction. JohnJJ JohnJJ <JohnJJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have found it is possible via Windows Explorer to click > on a Word document and drag it to an Outlook folder. Is > it possible to save aword document directly to an > Outloo...

Exporting stationery from Word 2007 to Outlook 2007
I would like to design my own stationery on Word 2007 which will include a photo. I would then like to move the file to the staionery folder in Outlook 2007. (I have MS Office Pro 2007) and am on Widows XP Home. Could you tell me where I can find the Stationery file in Outlook. (I have found such a file in Outlook Express but prefer to use Outlook.) Brian See http://turtleflock-ol2007.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!C1013F1F9A99E3D8!230.entry. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators htt...

Function to seacrh for a word across multiple columns
Hi, I have four columns of data (C-F) I need to search for a particular word. The data is addresses, i.e. it combines text and numbers and the word I'm searching for can appear anywhere within it (or not at all). The function I require will return 1 if it does and 0 if it does not. Have tried various iterations of if\search\match and so on to no avail - perhaps because I'm searching a range of columns rather than a specific cell? I'd appreciate your suggestions. Regards, Maybe something like this... =COUNT(MATCH("*word*",C1:F1,0)) -- Biff Microsof...

Printing Word 2003 document in Windows 7 environment
I have upgraded my computer to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (from XP) but retained Office Professional 2003 SP3. I have a Brother DCP-540CN printer and have re-installed an "upgraded" driver from the Brother website which is now "compatible" with Windows 7. When I did a printer test, it printed ok. However, when I try to print a document from Word 2003, it printed only one-third of a page, then half a page. Can anyone explain why this is happening? In a thread elsewhere, it was stated that Word 2003 is compatible with Windows 7 but this doesn't appear...

Looking for an IT service catalog template MS Publisher or Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/results.aspx?Scope=TC&Query=service -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Help" <Help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C72911B9-77E7-4BC7-A1FF-62223D592D92@microsoft.com... > ...

How do you swap pages in Word?
Is there a way to swap pages and all associated content in Word? For instance, let's say I decide to change the order of some of my content, and I want to swap pages 12, 13,14 with 31, 32, 33....is this possible without cutting and pasting? If they have distinctive Headings above them, you can go to Outline View, collapse them to only that level of outline, and drag the heading to where you want it to be. Word doesn't really have "pages," so the simplest way to do it is to insert Section Breaks before and after the part you want to move, and cut & paste t...

Pasting from another Word 2007 document has changed the line spaci
Hello, I am editing a huge document in Word 2007. The "Normal" style I am using is as follows; Font: Calibri (Body), 12 Paragraph: spacing 0 pt before, 10 pt after; line spacing1.5 I copied and pasted about 10 pages from another Word 2007 document but probably did something wrong when pasting and the paragraph settings of the "Normal" style in the big document turned into 0pt before 0 pt after spacing and single line spacing. That was probably the settings of the document I copied from. Now, when I modify the "Normal" style and change the sett...

How do I stop words splitting when using columns?
I'm trying to type a newspaper article that is easy for my students to read. How do I stop words from splitting up so if there's not room for the whole word in the column it automatically moves to the next line? Many thanks pearce <pearce@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I'm trying to type a newspaper article that is easy for my students > to read. How do I stop words from splitting up so if there's not room > for the whole word in the column it automatically moves to the next > line? For the current text box: Tools > Lang...

increase icon size in quick acess tool bar, Word
how do I increase the size of the icons on the quick access toolbar in word. The icons are too small to see. All you can do is decrease the resolution of your monitor, or use the magnifying tool in the Accessibility options in Windows. On Feb 11, 9:12=A0pm, blanik <bla...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > how do I increase the size of the icons on the quick access toolbar in wo= rd. > The icons are too small to see. ...

Outlook 2007 user-defined fields not showing in Word 2007 merge
On computer1, I have successfully created a customized form with user-define fields in Outlook 2007 and a merge document in Word 2007 that works (starting the merge from Outlook 2007). I want to copy the custom form with the user-define fields and the merge document to a second computer (computer2). I saved the custom form with fields from computer1 to a *.fdm file using the Tools, Options, Other, Advanced Options, Custom Forms, Manage forms. On computer2 I used the same process to install the custom form file (*.fdm) into Outlook 2007 and created a new contact folder that uses...

Using Epson receipt printer in MS Word?
I am seeking to install an Epson TM-T88II printer to Windows XP and then print custom receipts using MS Word. I connect the printer via the serial port. I am guessing I have to install the printer via Com1 and when it asks for which driver I want to use, I am not getting the correct option. Can anyone advise where I will get this driver? Am I doing this the correct way? Thanks in advance for your help. HI John, You get on right path. I have already done this with my previous company and use the same printer. Yes you need to install the driver first, here are the steps: 1. Click ad...

Intermittent Issue Viewing HTML Files in Word 2007
I am having intermittent issues viewing HTML Files in Word 2007. Sometimes I can see the graphics and sometimes I cannot (within the same file). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would cause this problem? I deal with HTML files frequently and end up having to email the file to one of my computers with Word 2003 on it in order to use the files. ...

Word & Excel taking 10 minutes to launch
Office Small Business 2003 - Windows XP Home My daughter has asked be to help with her Dell Inspiron laptop, which has become incredibly slow. The worst offfender - having cured some of the issues - is MS Word and Excel. After double clicking a document it takes 9 minutes for Word to come up and then a further minute for the document to appear. A notice also shows across the document saying something like 'unable to register and links from other documents to this document will not work.' If I launch Word or Excel and open the file from there, all seems okay. All...

Word freezes when working with pictures
When I'm making documents with many pictures, word suddenly stops working, and when i open the programmaneger there is two versions running, and the status for both is not responding?? I also have a problem running other programs when using word, the simply don't start until i close word?? Regards TeddyC It helps to know which version of Office and OS you are using and whether they are patched up to date. Start by running Detect and Repair for Office. Then go to the temp folder and clear out all the abandoned bumph: see http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word...

Switching desktops causes all toolbars and menu's to vanish.
Running XP Pro and Powertoys Virtual Desktop Manager, Office 2003. Whenever I switch desktops with Excel open, *all* Excel toolbars and the menu bar simply vanish - I'm left with the XP Window border, and the formula bar, immediately below the window top bar. The spreadsheet itself works, along with keyboard shortcuts to open save etc. Help is broken - ie F1 does not bring up help. Word is fine, but Access also breaks in the same way - all menus and toolbars vanish. Anyone any ideas? regards Matt Matt Difficult to tell as PowerToys is totally unsupported and a bit of light re...

Access To Word Mailmerge
I have setup a Mailmerge that is run from Access. The process works like this: 1) The proper record is selected in an Access form which automatically starts the process. 2) Word is called up automatically, it shows both the template and the doument with the proper data in it. 3) Access is closed automatically. 4) The user then needs to close the mailmerge template. 5) The document with the proper mailmerge information inserted from Access is up on the screen. At this point a shortcut is triggered by the user that adds a document of the users choice to the end of the curre...

how to use c++ to insert a Chart of "MSGraph.Chart.8" in the Word
i has the below code, //1 line of below is copy from BBS COleVariant vTrue((short)TRUE), vFalse((short)FALSE), vOpt((long)DISP_E_PARAMNOTFOUND, VT_ERROR); //Declaration the word application _Application m_App; Documents m_Docs; _Document m_Doc; Selection m_Sel; InlineShapes picObject; ...... try{ picObject=m_Sel.GetInlineShapes(); //this insert a picture from a file picObject.AddPicture("c:\\ueki_l.jpg",vFalse,vTrue,vOpt); //Now i want to insert a Chart //I try like this,...