When Word Files are Opened, They

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Since installing the latest upgrade for Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac (Version 12.2.3 (091001)) I have noticed that when I have one or more files open, and I open a new file, the new file doesn't appear in the foreground.  When I go the the Window menu, however, I see that the new file is in the list, and I can select the new file. <br><br>Has anyone else noticed this bug?
0
Mary_Fabien

Hi Mary:

You have not stated your update levels so the only thing we can say is "Make
sure you have applied all the latest updates for both OS X and Word, then
restart the computer.  Come back if you are still having trouble."

Cheers

On 2/12/09 10:20 AM, in article 59badeca.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Mary_Fabien@officeformac.com" <Mary_Fabien@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Since installing the latest upgrade for Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac (Version
> 12.2.3 (091001)) I have noticed that when I have one or more files open, and I
> open a new file, the new file doesn't appear in the foreground.  When I go the
> the Window menu, however, I see that the new file is in the list, and I can
> select the new file.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this bug?

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
12/2/2009 12:41:18 AM
> You have not stated your update levels so the only thing we can say is &quot;Make <br>
> sure you have applied all the latest updates for both OS X and Word, then <br>
> restart the computer.  Come back if you are still having trouble.&quot; <br>
> Cheers <br>
> On 2/12/09 10:20 AM, in article 59badeca.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;Mary_Fabien@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <br>
> > Since installing the latest upgrade for Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac (Version <br>
> > 12.2.3 (091001)) I have noticed that when I have one or more files open, and I <br>
> > open a new file, the new file doesn't appear in the foreground.  When I go the <br>
> > the Window menu, however, I see that the new file is in the list, and I can <br>
> > select the new file. <br>
> > Has anyone else noticed this bug? <br>
>  -- <br>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay! <br>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer, <br>
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd <br>
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 <br>
> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name <br>

0
Mary_Fabien
12/2/2009 1:34:21 AM
Hi Mary;

I've had this happen a few times myself, but I've not been able to repro on
demand. Nor does it occur frequently or consistently enough for me to submit
a bug report. Hopefully the behavior will stop of its own accord :-)

If it continues please try to document the circumstances in as much detail
as you can -- especially if you can determine a series of steps that
reliably reproduce it. Here it seems most likely to occur if I have several
documents open then create a new document from the Project Gallery, but
haven't found any real pattern to it.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/1/09 8:34 PM, in article 59badeca.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Mary_Fabien@officeformac.com" <Mary_Fabien@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I have Mac OS X 10.6.2 installed; Software Update indicates that there are no
> updates available at this time.
>
> The installed update for Microsoft Word 2008 is "12.2.3" Microsoft Update
> indicates that there are no updates available at this time.
>
> I checked that I had all the latest updates before I sent the original post.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mary
>
>> Hi Mary:
>>
>> You have not stated your update levels so the only thing we can say is "Make
>> sure you have applied all the latest updates for both OS X and Word, then
>> restart the computer.  Come back if you are still having trouble."
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> On 2/12/09 10:20 AM, in article 59badeca.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>> "Mary_Fabien@officeformac.com"  wrote:
>>
>>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
>>> Intel
>>> Since installing the latest upgrade for Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac (Version
>>> 12.2.3 (091001)) I have noticed that when I have one or more files open, and
>>> open a new file, the new file doesn't appear in the foreground.  When I go
>>> the
>>> the Window menu, however, I see that the new file is in the list, and I can
>>> select the new file.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else noticed this bug?
>>
>>  --
>>
>> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>>
>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
>> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
>> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
CyberTaz
12/2/2009 11:17:21 AM
Hi John;

This is the type of thing I was referring to when I posted about "windowing
behaviors" in the other group.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/1/09 7:41 PM, in article C73C02DE.52D8%john@mcghie.name, "John McGhie"
<john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> Hi Mary:
>
> You have not stated your update levels so the only thing we can say is "Make
> sure you have applied all the latest updates for both OS X and Word, then
> restart the computer.  Come back if you are still having trouble."
>
> Cheers
>

> On 2/12/09 10:20 AM, in article 59badeca.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
> "Mary_Fabien@officeformac.com" <Mary_Fabien@officeformac.com> wrote:
>
>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel
>> Since installing the latest upgrade for Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac (Version
>> 12.2.3 (091001)) I have noticed that when I have one or more files open, and
>> open a new file, the new file doesn't appear in the foreground.  When I go
>> the
>> the Window menu, however, I see that the new file is in the list, and I can
>> select the new file.
>>
>> Has anyone else noticed this bug?
>
>  --
>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
CyberTaz
12/2/2009 11:19:03 AM
That's cool: you're right up-to-date (but I needed to know that before I can
answer...)

The 12.1.0 and 12.2.0 updates you put in, together with Apple's 10.6.1
update, are supposed to mostly fix this issue :-)

Next question:  Do you have Spaces turned on?

It sounds as though what you are seeing is the known problem with Spaces,
which is "improved", but not "completely solved" in those updates.

There is an interesting article about it by Erik Schwiebert, one of the
software Design Leads who actually designs Office 2008:

http://www.schwieb.com/blog/

If what you are seeing is one of the remaining issues with Spaces, then we
can only wait for further fixes.

It doesn't do it here, but I have Spaces turned off.

Hope this helps

On 2/12/09 12:34 PM, in article 59badeca.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Mary_Fabien@officeformac.com" <Mary_Fabien@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I have Mac OS X 10.6.2 installed; Software Update indicates that there are no
> updates available at this time.
>
> The installed update for Microsoft Word 2008 is "12.2.3" Microsoft Update
> indicates that there are no updates available at this time.
>
> I checked that I had all the latest updates before I sent the original post.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mary
>
>> Hi Mary:
>>
>> You have not stated your update levels so the only thing we can say is "Make
>> sure you have applied all the latest updates for both OS X and Word, then
>> restart the computer.  Come back if you are still having trouble."
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> On 2/12/09 10:20 AM, in article 59badeca.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>> "Mary_Fabien@officeformac.com"  wrote:
>>
>>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
>>> Intel
>>> Since installing the latest upgrade for Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac (Version
>>> 12.2.3 (091001)) I have noticed that when I have one or more files open, and
>>> open a new file, the new file doesn't appear in the foreground.  When I go
>>> the
>>> the Window menu, however, I see that the new file is in the list, and I can
>>> select the new file.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else noticed this bug?
>>
>>  --
>>
>> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>>
>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
>> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
>> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John

Counting Three Different Words In One Column
H ithere, Can someone please help me? I have a column which can only have option (due to validation), these are:- New Overdue Updated Closed I would like to count the number of times each one has been entered. Each count would be in a different cell on a different worksheet. have tried searching this forum and found answers similar to what i' looking for but i could not get any of them to work for some reason? Thanks very much for your time. Swmasso -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi you need to use the countif function for this so if your range is ...

Prevent .pif, .scr, .exe, .ini, .com etc.. files from passing through?
How do you prevent files with certain extensions from passing through the exchange 2003 server? Thank you. most anti-virus solutions can be configured to block files with these extensions... "aspirin" <aspirin2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:511d01c49129$39f76de0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do you prevent files with certain extensions from > passing through the exchange 2003 server? > > Thank you. We use Groupshield 6.0 sp1. I should call and ask them. Thanks for the tip. >-----Original Message----- >most anti-virus solutions can be configured ...

Opening two separate instances of Excel
My users (who are accountants) use dual monitors and would like to open a different Excel file on each monitor for the purposes of reviewing changes between the two. I know that one method of doing this is by opening Excel twice with its shortcut, then highlighting one Excel window and opening an Excel file, then highlighting the other window and opening the other Excel file. Unfortunately, the software that my users use to organize the Excel files does not allow this to be done; it always opens every Excel file in the first Excel window no matter which instance is highlighted. We had a...

how to get file id in C#
how to get file id in C# is there any kind of unique id that can be obtained for any file in a file system? Hi, You can you use hash algorithm, it creates representation of file's content. It would be unique to all the files. But yuo'll get the same result for the same file with different name. HashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm = HashAlgorithm.Create( "SHA1" ); FileStream fileStream = new FileStream( fullFileName, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read ); byte[] hashCode = hashAlgorithm.ComputeHash( fileStream ); Foo "Daniel" <softwareengineer98037@yahoo.com> wro...

Additional info re: Word 2007 will not open files when you double click them
I should have mentioned... I am running XP 32 bit SP3 Neil ...

outlook changes hyperlinks in Word table when document is attached to outlook e-
Outlook changes hyperlinks in Word table when document is attached to outlook e-mail. This is totally bizarre. ...

"requireAdministrator" in Manifest file
Hi, I use the XML sample shown in the section: "Building and Embedding a Manifest with Microsoft Visual Studio® 2005 for Windows XP and Windows Vista Applications" (from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb756929.aspx) to create a manifest file and use it in Additional Manifest Files in the Project Properties. But I get a warning saying: Element "trustInfo" in an unrecognized namespace "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2" What would be the correct way to do this using VS 2005? I want the application to run with administrator privi...

Cannot Find File error message
We have several users that have been getting a "Cannot find file xyz.xl (or one of its components)..." when they try to launch an xls Excel fil from Windows explorer or an icon. Sometimes the users are using th files ok and then the next time they go in and try to launch the files this message appears. We use a tool called Installshield to updat their files and install any new xls files. Is there a reason why w may be getting this message? This file actually does exist -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Sometimes one of these works: Tools|Options|General|Ignore ...

Open file Slow on Excel 2003
We have upgraded our Office 2000 to 2003 and after the upgrade the response time to open a file on the network or C drive is slow. Once you have click on down arrow next to the look in box it takes a few seconds to respond. All the patches have been loaded. We are running windows XP Any suggetions ...

Problems creating a PDF file from a report using autoexec macro
Hi, I am using the autoexec macro to run a report and print it out as a pdf file. My steps in the autoexec macro are 1. OpenReport 2. Print Out 3. RunCode 4. Quit. The RunCode is designed to delay the closing of the application by two minutes so that the pdf file can be created. Whenever I run this, I get a box that comes up and says "Print Macro Definitions" Include for Macro _Properties _Actions and Arguments _Permissions by User and Group. The application hangs on this without closing. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Is Print Out the right command? Tha...

Opening Excel Spreadsheet on a tab #2
When I say tab, I of course mean a sheet -- david.willis ------------------------------------------------------------------------ david.willis's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14697 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=263201 One way: Put this in your ThisWorkbook code module: Private Sub Workbook_Open() Sheets(1).Select End Sub If you're not familiar with macro, see http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm In article <david.willis.1d3hhz@excelforum-nospam.com>, dav...

Pocket PC - Money 2004
Hello, My hard-drive crashed on my computer and I had to install a new one. The only workable backup file I have for my Microsoft Money is on my Pocket PC. Is there a way for me to use the file on my Pocket PC on my new computer? I tried http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/276.aspx and it's not working. Maybe that tutorial was designed for a newer version of Microsoft Money? JJ The readme, which the article is based on, has been around for a while. In any case, the data on your client will almost surely be incomplete. -- Michael Gordon MVP "JJ" <JJ@discussions.mic...

Outlook 2000-Open Note on top of all desktoplike a Post-It
I can't figure it out. I am a very, very technically challenged user and find that the NOTE works great, but I can't use it like a sticky note and make it stay on top. Is this easily do-able? Thanks for your time. I find the free version of this much more suited to desktop display: http://www.3m.com/us/office/postit/ --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Hello_It's_Me-C...

Links not opening on IE and Firefox, only on my user account, for some websites
I�ve recently been having trouble opening certain links, both on Internet Explorer and Firefox. Everything was working fine 2 days ago, when I ran �Disk Cleanup�. However, I don�t think that�s the problem because I ran �Disk Cleanup� once, only for my user account files, and the second time, for all the files on the computer. And this trouble is only occurring my user account. What happens is that I�ll go on, Youtube for instance and clicking on ANY link, whether it�s left-clicking on it, right-clicking on it or clicking the scroller to open the link in a new tab, it doesn�t ha...

Gathering open-ended question text into one sheet
I have an Excel file with data from 60 or so respondents to a questionaire. I have all my raw data on one worksheet. On another worksheet I have totals for the various questions broken out in various ways. I would like to create another worksheet that lists the answers to an open-ended question at the end of the questionaire. Less than half of the people responding wrote comments so I don't want to include blanks. I'd like to have a consolidated list of the comments in a tidy, separate sheet. As yet, I've been unable to figure out how to do this. Any help would be app...

Missing Calendars and Tasks when Opening an xp created .pst in 7Pr
Hi! I just got a completely new computer with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I installed Outlook 2007 and rather than start completely over or export my files from my previous .pst that was being used with XP Pro Svc Pk 2 I just mapped my "new" outlook to my old .pst. Trouble is I'm missing a few Calendars and Task Lists. Do I need to/can I export these items individually on a computer that runs XP and then import them to my new setup? Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated! -Rachel Copy the pst to the new computer and open it using File, open, outlook d...

Viewing and listening to Notebook notes on PC Word 2007
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I created a .docx document in Word 2008 for the Mac and now i want to open the document in Word 2007 in windows and play the audio. Is this possible. <br><br>Michael No. Sorry... Well... "Sort of..." :-) Since it is a .docx, you can actually dig the audio out by unzipping. Make a copy of the document and change the file extension to .zip. Open the zip file and you will see a set of folders. In the Media folder you will see one or more .mp3 files. That's your audio: copy it out...

Word can not load e-mail envelope
The above error has recently started with Word 2003 when I click the "email" button to send a document as the email body, not as an attachment. Previously this function worked. The "send as an attachment" works. I have found a KB entry, but its solution did not work. I'm using Outlook 2003 as my default email editor. Thanks for any help and suggestions. Jim ...

multiple generation Excel workbook file size reduction
I have a workbook that has been updated each month for several years and re-saved as the current month. For example in Feb-2007 the Jan-2007 file was used, modified for Feb-2007 and then saved as Feb-2007. In Mar-2007, the Feb-2007 file was used, modified for Mar-2007 and then saved as Mar-2007. This was done for several years and now the file which probably started out as 1MB is now 25+MB. Is there anyway to clean this up to reduce the file size? How about separating out all the 2007 data and save that as Archive_2007.xls, and similar for 2008 (in Jan 2009), so that each year you start w...

Find byte pattern in file (still desperate for solution)
I'm still desperately looking for a solution to this question. I need a very intelligent way to find an array of bytes within a file, but not only that preferably a regex expression of sorts. For example my database has around 50,000 regex entries such as "FFFF.*BB0403.*FF" that I want to turn into a byte array then search for. I understand how to go about writing my own code for this, however it is a little over my head when we're dealing with searching so many patterns against many files while trying to be speedy about the operation. Does anyone have any g...

Getting a "Not a Valid Win32 Application" when i try to open doc.
I am trying to open a publisher file that was sent to me. I have Publisher 95. I am getting the error message "......is not a valid win32 application" Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Publisher 95 will only open Publisher 1.0 and 2.0. Publisher 95 is a 16 bit program. Maybe your sender can convert the document to PDF. Or send it to me and I will convert it to PDF for you. I can open the 97 document but I won't be able to convert it to 95 for you. Remove "my" to reply... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews...

Publisher vs Word 2002
I am currently using Word 2002 to make up facsimile copies of old catalogs. These are mostly graphics and can bee from 15-150 pages. The documens are big, 200MB and larger, but are very simple in design, usually just one bif image per page, sometimes with headers and footers.. I need the ability to have headers and footers, sometimes with page numbers. Would I benefit by moving to Publisher? If so, in what ways? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from JB <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > I am currently using Word 2002 to make up...

outlook 2000, problem with outlook.pst file
I have problem receiving messages or deleting old ones although I can read them. I get a message with the path.../outlook.pst cannot be accessed. accessed denied. this message would come after a few minutes while the computer tries to operate. What should I do as I have a lot of messages in the file I would not like to loose. The file outlook.pst is there and I could not find any virus. Thank you M. Beraha On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:25:36 -0700, "Monis Beraha" <mberaha@biznetvigator.com> wrote: >I have problem receiving messages or deleting old ones >although I ...

Pack and Go: Publisher could not save this file.
Publisher could not save this file. You may be out of disk space. Try freeing up disk space and then using Pack and Go again. Version 2003. SP w/ SP2. all updates, patches, etc. Any ideas? Should i just convert to PDF? ...

troubles with delimited files
I receive orders via CSV files. Below is one of the troublemakers. If you notice, the sku# is 9185 and the 16 digit following ends in 9185. Great! No matter if I open as CSV, TXT, or cut-n-paste, then opt to delimit into columns, the 16 digit number will always resolve to 9990000000009180 which is a mismatch. Also, with the cell not wide enough, it displays as 9.99E+15. All other similar 16 digit numbers would display as 999E+15 and delimit without issue. 0140160852,John Doe,222 daley st,,,boston,MA,03125,US,555-555-5555,CG,,9185,9990000000009185,2,10626315001,1,Y,UOL,,,store ...