Trouble sending word document to PC

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

I am trying to send word documents to a PC and it opens as a zip drive for the PC and is unreadable.  I am using Microsoft word for mac and saving the file as a: Word Document (.docx).  What can I do to make the file compatible?
0
kellog

The problem is the system and/or the user at the other end. It could be
either of several things but without knowing what their software version is
or how it's being delivered it's hard to say exactly what they're doing
wrong. The OXML (.docx) file is basically a zipped format which is
improperly being unzipped rather than being opened. [BTW: It's 'zip' or
'zipped' *file*, not "drive" -- a Zip Drive is a high capacity removable
media storage device produced by Iomega :-)]

--
Regards |:>)
Bob Jones

<kellog@officeformac.com> wrote in message
> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I
> am trying to send word documents to a PC and it opens as a zip drive for
> the PC and is unreadable. I am using Microsoft word for mac and saving the
> file as a: Word Document (.docx). What can I do to make the file
> compatible?

0
CyberTaz
3/1/2010 9:23:18 PM
I am having a similar problem. My operating system is Mac OS X 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard). I created a newsletter using publishing view, saved it in print view as a .docx file and sent it to someone who uses a PC and Office 2007. It came up blank with only page breaks and section breaks showing.  <br><br>I tried to open the document myself on another PC that uses Office 2007. It was blank with only page and section breaks visible. The PC's are in different locations and do not share a network or server. <br><br>I have e-mailed several .docx documents since installing Snow Leopard, with no problem. This is the first time I've run into this situation.
0
MsG233
3/1/2010 9:51:26 PM
Your issue is completely different... Word 2008 is the only version of Word
that supports Pub Layout. There is no other version of the program � Mac or
PC � that can effectively display documents created using that mode,
especially if certain features are used. Output the document as a PDF & send
that to your recipients so they can read it.

Also, please refrain from posting a REPLY to another post just because your
concern seems to be "similar". It's always best to submit a NEW QUESTION so
the threads don't get tangled up in each other's underwear :-)

Thanks for your cooperation :-)

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/1/10 4:51 PM, in article 59bb3aab.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"MsG233@officeformac.com" <MsG233@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I am having a similar problem. My operating system is Mac OS X 10.6.2 (Snow
> Leopard). I created a newsletter using publishing view, saved it in print view
> as a .docx file and sent it to someone who uses a PC and Office 2007. It came
> up blank with only page breaks and section breaks showing.
>
> I tried to open the document myself on another PC that uses Office 2007. It
> was blank with only page and section breaks visible. The PC's are in different
> locations and do not share a network or server.
>
> I have e-mailed several .docx documents since installing Snow Leopard, with no
> problem. This is the first time I've run into this situation.

0
CyberTaz
3/1/2010 11:24:40 PM
CyberTaz wrote:
> The problem is the system and/or the user at the other end. It could be
> either of several things but without knowing what their software version
> is or how it's being delivered it's hard to say exactly what they're
> doing wrong. The OXML (.docx) file is basically a zipped format which is
> improperly being unzipped rather than being opened. [BTW: It's 'zip' or
> 'zipped' *file*, not "drive" -- a Zip Drive is a high capacity removable
> media storage device produced by Iomega :-)]

Something that has been surfacing lately is that older mail programs,
Mulberry in particular at higher education institutions, may have never
been updated to know which application to use when it encounters any of
the new office file formats such as .docx, .xlsx, .xlsb, .pptx etc. If
someone is using a "legacy" (wretched old) email program and has not
manually updated the preferences, they'll get the unwanted behavior.

It's OK if these people want to use ancient software, but at some point
they should learn how to set it up properly. Some programs (like
Mulberry) let you add and change file associations in their preferences.
Others rely on the operating system. Either way, if the email program
does not properly handle the incoming mail, then it's no wonder the
documents don't open properly.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Scan on Document Imager Office 2007, preview shows, scan doesnt
When I attempt to scan a document in the Document Imager, my scanner shows up, I select it. I click on "preview" and the document can be seen, then, I click on scan....nothing shows up. Help ...

Send As not working properly
I have 2 account that are owners of the information store. They deliver voicemail messages and need send as permission to every mailbox. They work for about 95+% of the mailboxes. We have a few that it responds with you do not have send as permission. If I go to the security tab and add the account to have Send As it works as it should for that account. The second account still does not work at that time. Hi, Check if there is a 'Deny' setting active on the Send As permission for the accounts which do not get the permission and check if these accounts are member of a gro...

Where to go for Word and Excel?
Newsgroups that I've used for years have disappeared from the news.microsoft.com server. Where does one go now for questions about these and other Office applications? I know this isn't relevant to this newsgroup, but hoping someone can tell me something. TIA LAS On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:56:47 -0400, "Laurel" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote: � Newsgroups that I've used for years have disappeared from the � news.microsoft.com server. Where does one go now for questions about these � and other Office applications? I know this isn't relevant ...

Email trouble with New User in Active Directory
Below is a trail of posts that have been made. My problem has yet to resolved and I need some help quickly. The only other thing I can think of is to reinstall Exchange Server 2003. Hopefully someone will know the answer. Thanks! Subject: Re: Email not Setup when new user created in Active Directory From: "Bryan Hill" <bthill@comcast.net> Sent: 8/15/2004 12:30:21 PM We have other clients that are working fine. Just when we try to set up new ones - it will create the SMTP address but not the X400 address. I tried manually forcing the X400 but it will...

Send/receive #5
When I hit s/r in Outlook 2000, today it is giving me "Operation failed." I've done the troubleshooting detect and repair, checked settings, rebooted. I don't know what to do next. My account w/ Earthlink is current; I'm using dialup; I have Norton and had scan for incoming/outgoing which I've disabled and still not working. Any ideas? ...

Outlook sending messages attachments corrupt??
Hi there I can't send any messages with attachment any more?? Attachments upon arrival appear as gibberish letters. Or if the attachment is a lager file it produces multiple emails ( up to fifteen single messages) Each email is screened by Norton antivirus 2003. I have not detected virus on my pc. any help would be much appreciated. What is going on?? Regards Norman ...

Suggestion: Allow for Document Description in GP Purchase Receipts
It would be great if there was a description field at the header level when entering a purchase receipt. A client of mine needs additional information that can print on a check, like the voucher description, and PO Receiving does not offer it. If they were using Payables Transaction Entry they would use the voucher description. Additionally, the description would be the GL reference just like the voucher description becomes. -- Charles Allen, MVP ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this s...

Trouble with the template.
I want to reset the 'normal' template to default to "Times New Roman" 10point font, and the pages numbered centre top. This seems to work when I set and reopen Word2003 from the Administrator Template vis: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. But it will not work when I open Word2003 normally from the desktop. I have deleted the "Normal.dot" from the following and copied in the "Normal.dot" from the Administrator above: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates...

Show word and Excel document in IE
Hi, I do have a requirement to show the office documents in IE browser instead of opening the instance of the application. any advice would be appreciated thanks Right click on the document and select Open With>>IE "Akbar Jiwani" <ajiwani@uabmc.edu> wrote in message news:4BA758D6.E1A7.00ED.0@uabmc.edu... > Hi, > I do have a requirement to show the office documents in IE browser instead > of opening the instance of the application. any advice would be > appreciated > > thanks > > > ...

Outlook express will send but not receive email
I've set up my new outlook at work. I can send emails, but not receive for some reason. Any sugjestions? "Ethan" <Ethan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65FDBACD-7946-4041-BB63-C7EE11751A3E@microsoft.com... > I've set up my new outlook at work. I can send emails, but not receive > for > some reason. Any sugjestions? Outlook, part of MS office, or Outlook EXPRESS? the two are totally different programs, despite the similar name. Ethan <Ethan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I've set up my new outlook at work. I can ...

Saving .pub file to send to others
How the heck do I know how to SAVE AS when I want to "share"/send this ..pub file. It contains both black and white photos and text. Well, I know how to save as, but there's so much to choose from. Help, please. This is MS Publisher 2002, sp3. Nice program after ya get used to it. <g> AnnE in MN AnnE The best, to ensure that all can open the file (not everyone has Publisher), is to create a PDF and send that as an attachment. If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the reader), you can get a free pdf creater here: http://www.primopdf.com ...

it says the word 'calculate' next to the start button
On the bottom toolbar it says 'calculate' next to the start button, the sheet i'm using isn't accepting the formulae since this has appeared, how do i remove it and what does it mean ? Hi Andy! It means that you have calculation set to manual instead of automatic. F9 will recalculate the sheet. Tools > Options > Calculation > Check "Automatic" resets to Automatic -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. Or, you ha...

Lost word document 04-08-10
I opened a word document from an email, worked on it then clicked save (not save as) now I can't find it anywhere. When I re-open the file in the email it is the original document without any of the changes. Would it have been temporarily saved on my computer somewhere? See http://www.gmayor.com/outlook_attachments.htm for instructions to recover attachment files, hopefuly ;-) Hope this helps DeanH "aef84" wrote: > I opened a word document from an email, worked on it then clicked save (not > save as) now I can't find it anywhere. When I re-open the...

trouble with CrmIsapi.dll
I was experiencing the same problem with the SDK as many have posted to this group ... "the WhoAmI() call results in a http error 405 when running sample code" I followed some of the advice; checked my .srf mapping to CrmIsapi.dll and re-registered the CrmIsapi.dll. when I re-register CrmIsapi.dll I get an error 80004005 - unspecified. ??? I copied it to various places and retried it ... same result. I got the original from the disk and retried ... same result. unmapped it from .srf, restarted and retried to register it ... same result. Anyone experienced this. What's up with m...

Copy a 2007 Word table into Excel
What is the most efficient way of copying a 2007 Word Table into excel? Excel 2007 seems to handle this differently than it did before. -- Thanks for the help More detail would help. What's happening when you try? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "tinks" <tinks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:998D16BE-4E16-4B4E-B428-ACA930976BE8@microsoft.com... > What is the most efficient way of copying a 2007 Word Table into excel? > Excel 2007 seems to handle this d...

How do I print 2 copies of a Publisher document on an A4 sheet
Can anyone help please? Using Publisher Xp forming part of Office Xp. Setup your printer for A4, in page layout select custom, landscape, type 14.8cm width, 20.997cm height. The dialogue should say "Prints two copies per sheet." -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Wombat" <Wombat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB398094-C64A-4642-AEED-E686513932D5@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help please? Using Publisher Xp forming part of Office Xp. ...

unexpected conversion trouble

Trouble with Outlook 2003 and PST File
Hi, We have a user who is using Outlook 2003 and moves most emails to a PST file which is considered archived email data. They have reached the Max limited on this PST file of 1.99GBs and its not letting them open the PST file. It is trying to repair it when they try to open the PST file. Here is the message they receive: "Can't move the items. The file <path>\<filename>.pst has reached its maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some items that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them." I can't even get it open to delete...

Trouble with Pivot Tables & Named Ranges
Can I use a dynamic named range setup in one file as a range in pivot tables in another file? When I have the data source file (with the named range) and the pivot report files open, the pivot reports update just fine. But the moment I close the source data, the pivot reports no longer can update and I get a message that the source can't be found. If I reopen the source, the pivot tables work fine again - but as soon as I close it up, the reports no longer work. The source file is very large and I don't want to open it every time I have to update all the reports tha...

I am in trouble
Hi, I am a student in Cambodia.I don't have any girlfriend. I tried everything. I looked at them wrote poem to them it doesnt work. I got an account from facebook, hi5 friendster myspace. I have 0 girl friend. What should I do? I am so desperate. I am good looking and 250 kg only. Please help me or at least send me some foood I am hungry Best Regards Hungry Guy __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4944 (20100314) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com You're tr...

How do i insert a page from another publisher document?
I really need to know how i can copy/cut/move/insert a page from another publisher document to the one i am using? Jamie <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I really need to know how i can copy/cut/move/insert a page from > another publisher document to the one i am using? In the source document, go to the page you want. Deselect all objects. Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C. In the destination document, insert a new blank page. Ctrl+V. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Trouble sorting a table???
Using Excel 2002) I am relatively new to Excel and can only really perform simple functions in a basic spreadsheet. The spreadsheet I'm having trouble with is pretty basic, but I'm having trouble sorting some of the results from a table. (I'll try and explain as best as I can) I have 10 people that I'm tracking 5 different things for (dates, debts, credits, items, number of transactions, and their balance as calculated in this table by simple SUM functions) I then have another table with these same 10 people with their total balance. This is the table I'm having t...

Block send in a mailbox
How can I configure a mailbox in Exchange 2003 that only can receive emails, not send? Thanks in advance. It's not easy. You can block the mailbox from sending to the Internet by configuring delivery restrictions on the SMTP Connector. The only way to prevent that mailbox from sending to internal recipients is to configure delivery restrictions on all other internal recipients, which is generally impractical. -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Alfons G" <manguta2000@hotmail.com&g...

Outlook Can't Send Message Greater Thank 60kb
We are having some serious outlook problems. We have a few machines that are windows 2k or xp home and they outlook 2000 sbe on them. We have a t1 for or connection to sbc for our email. When you send a mail from outlook all goes well unless there is an attachment over 60kb. Then the process will choke. We do have norton antivirus and I have attempted sending without scanning the message. Also we have a bunch of windows 98 machines with outlook 2000 on them and they seam to be unaffected by the issue. Our ip address information is given out by dhcp through novell 6.0 servers. Thank You...

Trouble with "time" in formulas
I have a time sheet that looks something like this: A1=time...A2=time...A3=A2-A1+if(A1/24,1)...A4=if(or(A3<time(0,15,0),A3>time(4,0,0)),A3,time(4,0,0)) A1 and A2 are set up as dropdown lists and the times in the list are i increments of 15 minutes. WHat I'm trying to accomplish is (in cell A4 if A3 is between 15 minutes and 4 hours, then return 4 hours. if A3 i 0 or greater than 4 hours, return A3. If I enter enter times in A1 around 00:00 and A2 a little after 00:0 it works fine... example: A1=22:00...A2=01:00...A3=03:00...A4=04:00 A1=20:30...A2=00:15...A3=03:45...A4=04:00 A1=00...