Trouble opening Word 2007 for Windows files with equations on my Word 2008 for Mac

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I use Word 2008 for Mac but when I try to open a Word 2007 for Windows file from a student with equations, all the equations are nonsensical.  Any hints?
0
bseelye
1/6/2010 5:47:27 PM
mac.office.word 1676 articles. 1 followers. Follow

3 Replies
619 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 42

FWIW, not being familiar with this area of Mac Word, when I try to open 
a Word 2007 document containing a Word 2007 equation (not the older type 
of equations) I see a dialog box that says that Word 2007 equations are 
not supported in Word 2008, that the equations will be preserved so that 
they will be visible if re-opened in Word 2007, but will "display as 
placeholders" in Word 2008.

I expected that that might be a single placeholder, perhaps like an 
empty picture frame. However, it is a bunch of apparently editable 
rubbish as you say.

Options - at least ones that seem just about viable to me - include:
  a. if you have access to Word 2007, use that
  b. ask your student(s) to create a PDF from their Word 2007 document. 
If they have been able to keep their Word 2007 installations up-to-date 
they should be able to "Save As" in .docx/.docm format to preserve their 
work, then in .pdf format.
  c. if you need to annotate their text and return it, either
     - work with both the Word document and the .pdf or
     - open the .pdf in Preview and use the Annotate button to insert 
annotations, or use a suitable version of Adobe's own software to do it.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 06/01/2010 17:47, bseelye@officeformac.com wrote:
> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel
> I use Word 2008 for Mac but when I try to open a Word 2007 for Windows
> file from a student with equations, all the equations are nonsensical.
> Any hints?
0
Peter
1/6/2010 6:54:38 PM
In addition to Peter's helpful answer:

If I remember correctly, there is definitely a problem with equations in 
documents that are exchanged between Word 2007 and 2008, as Word 2007 
uses an entirely new mechanism to create and display equations, a 
mechanism which the Mac version does not understand. It might be worth 
trying to save the document in the old binary ".doc" format (Word 
97-2004 format) to see if the equations then work in Word 2008. Don't 
hold your breath, though...

On 06/01/10 19:54, Peter Jamieson wrote:
> FWIW, not being familiar with this area of Mac Word, when I try to open
> a Word 2007 document containing a Word 2007 equation (not the older type
> of equations) I see a dialog box that says that Word 2007 equations are
> not supported in Word 2008, that the equations will be preserved so that
> they will be visible if re-opened in Word 2007, but will "display as
> placeholders" in Word 2008.
>
> I expected that that might be a single placeholder, perhaps like an
> empty picture frame. However, it is a bunch of apparently editable
> rubbish as you say.
>
> Options - at least ones that seem just about viable to me - include:
> a. if you have access to Word 2007, use that
> b. ask your student(s) to create a PDF from their Word 2007 document. If
> they have been able to keep their Word 2007 installations up-to-date
> they should be able to "Save As" in .docx/.docm format to preserve their
> work, then in .pdf format.
> c. if you need to annotate their text and return it, either
> - work with both the Word document and the .pdf or
> - open the .pdf in Preview and use the Annotate button to insert
> annotations, or use a suitable version of Adobe's own software to do it.
>
> Peter Jamieson
>
> http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
>
> On 06/01/2010 17:47, bseelye@officeformac.com wrote:
>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel
>> I use Word 2008 for Mac but when I try to open a Word 2007 for Windows
>> file from a student with equations, all the equations are nonsensical.
>> Any hints?

-- 
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP (Macintosh)

*** Please always reply to the newsgroup. ***
0
Michel
1/7/2010 7:14:28 AM
Good point - from Word 2007 SP2 at least, the equations are converted to 
images which display OK in Word 2008. I should have checked!

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 07/01/2010 07:14, Michel Bintener wrote:
> In addition to Peter's helpful answer:
>
> If I remember correctly, there is definitely a problem with equations in
> documents that are exchanged between Word 2007 and 2008, as Word 2007
> uses an entirely new mechanism to create and display equations, a
> mechanism which the Mac version does not understand. It might be worth
> trying to save the document in the old binary ".doc" format (Word
> 97-2004 format) to see if the equations then work in Word 2008. Don't
> hold your breath, though...
>
> On 06/01/10 19:54, Peter Jamieson wrote:
>> FWIW, not being familiar with this area of Mac Word, when I try to open
>> a Word 2007 document containing a Word 2007 equation (not the older type
>> of equations) I see a dialog box that says that Word 2007 equations are
>> not supported in Word 2008, that the equations will be preserved so that
>> they will be visible if re-opened in Word 2007, but will "display as
>> placeholders" in Word 2008.
>>
>> I expected that that might be a single placeholder, perhaps like an
>> empty picture frame. However, it is a bunch of apparently editable
>> rubbish as you say.
>>
>> Options - at least ones that seem just about viable to me - include:
>> a. if you have access to Word 2007, use that
>> b. ask your student(s) to create a PDF from their Word 2007 document. If
>> they have been able to keep their Word 2007 installations up-to-date
>> they should be able to "Save As" in .docx/.docm format to preserve their
>> work, then in .pdf format.
>> c. if you need to annotate their text and return it, either
>> - work with both the Word document and the .pdf or
>> - open the .pdf in Preview and use the Annotate button to insert
>> annotations, or use a suitable version of Adobe's own software to do it.
>>
>> Peter Jamieson
>>
>> http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
>>
>> On 06/01/2010 17:47, bseelye@officeformac.com wrote:
>>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel
>>> I use Word 2008 for Mac but when I try to open a Word 2007 for Windows
>>> file from a student with equations, all the equations are nonsensical.
>>> Any hints?
>
0
Peter
1/7/2010 10:37:09 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Detecting Shift key when form is opened
What is the best way to tell if the Shift key is held down when a form is opened? The form is being opened from a toolbar. I don't want to react to the Shift key's being pressed after the form is opened. I only want to react if the Shift key was being held down when the toolbar option was clicked. Also, is there a way to do this for reports? Thanks in advance. James ...

Email trouble with New User in Active Directory
Below is a trail of posts that have been made. My problem has yet to resolved and I need some help quickly. The only other thing I can think of is to reinstall Exchange Server 2003. Hopefully someone will know the answer. Thanks! Subject: Re: Email not Setup when new user created in Active Directory From: "Bryan Hill" <bthill@comcast.net> Sent: 8/15/2004 12:30:21 PM We have other clients that are working fine. Just when we try to set up new ones - it will create the SMTP address but not the X400 address. I tried manually forcing the X400 but it will...

Trouble with the template.
I want to reset the 'normal' template to default to "Times New Roman" 10point font, and the pages numbered centre top. This seems to work when I set and reopen Word2003 from the Administrator Template vis: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. But it will not work when I open Word2003 normally from the desktop. I have deleted the "Normal.dot" from the following and copied in the "Normal.dot" from the Administrator above: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates...

Outlook 2007 clients with Exchange 2003
Is there any issue with this? Does this work? I'm currently testing with a limited group that I upgraded the client to 2007 . Everything seems ok, but... they were all upgrades, what about new additions and permissions and calandering, etc... Just needed to know if they play together nicely or if Exchange 2007 is needed. None and works great. (Office/Outlook 2007 SP2 on XP, Vista, and Windows 7 against Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows 2003 SP2.) "JustSc0tt" <JustSc0tt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8BDE702-419C-4679-B1BD-64E1151E0E97@microsoft.com....

Internet Explorer closes the CRM Window when exporting to Excel
We have a problem whenever a user exports data to Excel. The calling IE window closes when this is done. We use IE 6 and CRM 3.0 in this implementation. If we start CRM in "non-app" mode, the problem disappears. But of course we don´t want the users to have two rows of menus etc. Any suggestions? Hi Per, Have you installed rollup 1 or 2? Maybe that solves the problem. I have heard of the problem before but don't know what the solution was. I will have a look... Regards, Bas "Per Holgersson" wrote: > We have a problem whenever a user exports data to ...

como se cambia el Id. ingresado para microsoft office word 2007?
como se cambia el Id. ingresado para microsoft office word 2007? ...

macro-import another xls file
Hi, i need a macro to import another xls file.When i run macro i need a window to appear and to browse to the file i need to import. I allways open another file, so i want to browse for the file. Can this be done? Thanks! Try some code like the following: Sub AAA() Dim FName As Variant Dim Filter As String ' Excel 2003 workbooks Filter = "Excel Files (*.xls),*.xls" ' Excel 2007 workbooks workbooks Filter = "Excel Files (*.xlsx;*.xlsm;*.xlsb),*.xlsx;*.xlsm;*.xlsb" ' Excel 2003 and 2007 Filter = "Excel Files (*.xls;*.xlsx;*.xlsm;*.xlsb),*...

xml file attachment will not open
i can not open an xml file attachment to a mail message. it started to fail after installing a critical update. ...

RPC over HTTP Proxy on Windows 2000 server?
Is it possible to install RPC over HTTP Proxy on a Windows server? If it is how? What is COM Internet Services Proxy? Does it do the same thing as RPC over HTTP Proxy? I believe a requirement is at least one DC (and a GC to boot) needs to be a Windows Server 2003 DC. "TD" <TD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:961741CE-CB6A-470C-A5C3-254DD888A3DE@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to install RPC over HTTP Proxy on a Windows server? If it > is > how? What is COM Internet Services Proxy? Does it do the same thing as RPC > over HTTP Proxy? Is th...

Visual Studio 2008 Annoyance
Say you have a solution with 10 projects in it. Visually in the Solution Explorer, they are listed alphabetized. I like this, it makes it easy to find the project you are looking for. However, over time, our solutions have become rather large. So, I've started grouping my projects into "New Solution Folder"s by right-clicking on the solution and choosing Add|New Solution Folder. This is nice because I can group things together, like all my DLL projects into one folder, static libs in another folder, etc. The annoyance is that once you drag and drop (or add projects) t...

it says the word 'calculate' next to the start button
On the bottom toolbar it says 'calculate' next to the start button, the sheet i'm using isn't accepting the formulae since this has appeared, how do i remove it and what does it mean ? Hi Andy! It means that you have calculation set to manual instead of automatic. F9 will recalculate the sheet. Tools > Options > Calculation > Check "Automatic" resets to Automatic -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. Or, you ha...

M03-WinXP -- Is .MNY file size an issue?
In early 2003 I experienced file corruption problems and an MS support rep helped me to run the salvage program on my .mny file. He told me that my problem resulted from the .mny file's growing too large. It was about 4 meg, which he said was too big. He recommended that I archive every year. I just looked at my file. Haven't archived since the beginning of 2003, so I archived. The .mny file only shrunk from 3.9 to 3.5 meg. Started to look here and read the FAQ page. I see tht some of you recommend against archiving, so I renamed the archive file back to my primary name...

Lost word document 04-08-10
I opened a word document from an email, worked on it then clicked save (not save as) now I can't find it anywhere. When I re-open the file in the email it is the original document without any of the changes. Would it have been temporarily saved on my computer somewhere? See http://www.gmayor.com/outlook_attachments.htm for instructions to recover attachment files, hopefuly ;-) Hope this helps DeanH "aef84" wrote: > I opened a word document from an email, worked on it then clicked save (not > save as) now I can't find it anywhere. When I re-open the...

trouble with CrmIsapi.dll
I was experiencing the same problem with the SDK as many have posted to this group ... "the WhoAmI() call results in a http error 405 when running sample code" I followed some of the advice; checked my .srf mapping to CrmIsapi.dll and re-registered the CrmIsapi.dll. when I re-register CrmIsapi.dll I get an error 80004005 - unspecified. ??? I copied it to various places and retried it ... same result. I got the original from the disk and retried ... same result. unmapped it from .srf, restarted and retried to register it ... same result. Anyone experienced this. What's up with m...

Problem with "att-1.unk" file
I use MS Outlook 2000 SR1 (9.0.0.3821). When receiving e-mail with attached file (extention doesn't matter) from one of my partners I always see this file as "att-1.unk" file. He uses MS Outlook too. This "att-1.unk" may be "stripped" of additional header using programs designed for "winmail.dat" files (for instance tnef.exe). I verified, that my partner used "Plain text", not "Rich text formant" when sending his e-mails. I received the same "att-1.unk" file when I tried to use Outlook Express instead of MS Outlook. Its...

Excel 2007 files not opening properly..
I have Office 2007 installed.. the one that doesn't come with Outlook. So, I'm still using Outlook 2003. When I double click an XLS file to open it, Excel opens and the file never opens. I have to goto FILE, OPEN, then hit CANCEL and the file will display. This only happens for Excel. Word 2007 works fine. I have tried to uninstall the software and reinstall it, but it did not fix the problem. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? We have Office 2007 on a few computers and I'm the only one with this problem. I found a fix for the problem, which seemed to...

Form coding access 2003 to 2007
Hello comm I have a code in a form (MS Accees 2003)working perfect. However, if I open the form in Access 2007 the concatenation does not work in the field CodSigCat This the code. Could you tell me what is wrong or new in Access 2007? Many thanks Option Compare Database Option Explicit Function CodSigCat() As String CodSigCat = Me!Prov & "" CodSigCat = CodSigCat & Me!Cant & "" CodSigCat = CodSigCat & Me!Dist & "" CodSigCat = CodSigCat & Me!Bloq & "" CodSigCat = CodSigCat & Me!Sect & "" CodSigCat = CodSi...

SBS 2008, Exchange 2007
Hi All, I dont have massses amount of time to try and investigate this and already have spent time doing this. I will outline what I am trying to achieve. The server is SBS 2008. the client has one domain name: exampledomain1.co.uk and the second domain name: exampledomain2.co.uk The server was originally setup to receive for exampledomain1.co.uk. the client recently purchased exampledomain2.co.uk we had no prior knowledge this additonal domain was going to be purchased at time of SBS 2008 Install. They layout of what I would like to achieve: most users will have there ...

unexpected conversion trouble
I wanted to open an Excel file I hadn't been working on for a while, an Excel couldn't do it. After some investigations, I found that even if the file still had th .xls extension, it seemed to be conveted in .doc format (in fact, whe I open it in notepad, I can see at the end some words that look like MSWord signature). I don't know how this happened, but I'm reall embarassed beacause i really need the data in this file. I tried to change the extension to .doc, open the file in Word and the import in Excel, but I can hardly see part of the file. What's more, i is a 3-she...

Trouble with Outlook 2003 and PST File
Hi, We have a user who is using Outlook 2003 and moves most emails to a PST file which is considered archived email data. They have reached the Max limited on this PST file of 1.99GBs and its not letting them open the PST file. It is trying to repair it when they try to open the PST file. Here is the message they receive: "Can't move the items. The file <path>\<filename>.pst has reached its maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some items that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them." I can't even get it open to delete...

Excel 2000 not remembering recent files
My "recent" files list is not being updated when I open a spreadsheet by double clicking on the sheet directly. Is there a setting to change this? Thanks, Mark If I recall correctly, xl2002 was the first version to automatically update the most recently used file list by double clicking on the file in windows explorer. I don't think xl2k does this. But if it's really important to you, Dana DeLouis posted some VBA code that could it: http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=uryAXpVCCHA.1560%40tkmsftngp02 Mark Durrenberger wrote: > > My "recent" files l...

export and open an excel file from access
dear friends can any one please help me one more thing please for which im looking over whole news group! (1) i want to export many querys to excel using outputto method ofcourse its doing the job but its creating an new work sheet for every query how to put all data into one work sheet (2) or else open an excel file in mydocuments / orelse anywhere and import all the necessary table and do canculations but (A) by this method how to use date criteria for importing data from tables (b) how to access such excel files which will be in the my documents folder on click event and come...

ASX file
I received a message with an attached .asx file. None of the programs I have seems to open it. Please advise what program available for a Mac will open the file. thank you <wgempp@netsense.net> wrote in message news:1109872332.063810.105220@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > I received a message with an attached .asx file. None of the programs > I have seems to open it. Please advise what program available for a > Mac will open the file. > > thank you > It is a Windows Media file. Depending on the encoding, you can open it with Windows Media Player for the Ma...

Open filtered report
TIA: Access 2007. I have a 'summary' report grouped by [request date], no detailed section. The field in the report design for the group is [request date by day]. I'm trying to be able to double click on a group date in the report and open another report with detailed info based on the group date double clicked on in the summary report. I tried on dbl click: dim rd as date rd=me.[request date by day] 'set date value = group date docmd.openreport "detail", acPreview, "[request date by day]=" & rd the "detail" report open...

Trouble with Pivot Tables & Named Ranges
Can I use a dynamic named range setup in one file as a range in pivot tables in another file? When I have the data source file (with the named range) and the pivot report files open, the pivot reports update just fine. But the moment I close the source data, the pivot reports no longer can update and I get a message that the source can't be found. If I reopen the source, the pivot tables work fine again - but as soon as I close it up, the reports no longer work. The source file is very large and I don't want to open it every time I have to update all the reports tha...