Strip all formatting in cut and paste!

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

0
andy54321

Well, just a couple of points that may help somewhat, interjected below;

<andy54321@officeformac.com> wrote in message
> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
> Intel In Word's preferences, I've always deselected, "Include formatted
> text in Clipboard," yet the formatting always seems to show up when I cut
> and paste, which I hate.

That setting only pertains to content copied in a Word document. Word has no
control over what gets put on the clipboard when you cut/copy while in a
different program.

> I cut and paste many, many times a day and I NEVER want the formatting
> carried into Word.
>
> I get alarmed when the formatting comes over, so I avoid the dropdown,
> post-paste "Keep Text Only" option. I also know there's some wacky
> keystroke combination to strip formatting when cutting and pasting-but it
> rarely seems to work.

Use Edit> Paste Special> Unformatted Text to do your pasting. Although Word
can't determine what another app puts into the clipboard it can determine
what you want to retrieve.

> So I usually just grab text from wherever, open TextEdit, paste there,
> then cut and paste back into Word. I also end up writing in TextEdit a
> lot, mostly because all of the formatting in Word is riddled with so much
> un-Apple-like complexity.

I'm not sure what you mean by "un-Apple-like", but Word is a styles-based
application & one of the first professional caliber word processing programs
created for the Mac... In fact, Word *originated* on the Mac, as did Excel &
PowerPoint. No disrespect, but formatting in Word need not be any more
complex than the user chooses to make it :-)

> But my main point: It'd be cool if there was a preference in Word that
> truly allowed me to strip formatting when I cut and paste.

Unfortunately there is no setting to make pasting as Unformatted Text the
default option, but there has been much clamor for such a setting. Take a
moment to use Help> Send Feedback to add your voice to the choir... the more
demand the more likely the inclusion. Perhaps the next release will offer
such an option. In the meantime, there is an Apple Script which has been
offered in this group which you are free to use. I can't put my finger on it
right now, but if you search the group using the term 'paste special' or
'unformatted text' you should be able to find it without much difficulty...
Or perhaps someone else will come along & dump it in here before I have an
opportunity to find it (my Macs are at home).

--
HTH |:>)
Bob Jones

0
CyberTaz
2/2/2010 10:17:21 PM
Uhm, I was around during early day of Macintosh.
MS came out with a rip-off of Appleworks called MicrosoftWorks That was
the first MS program available for Mac. In fact Office didn't come out
on Mac called something like Office 4.2. Which composed of Word 6.0,
Excel 5.0. My first Mac was a SE/30. Word and excel was well entrenched
of the PC side of the world. Word came out on Mac To kill off MacWrite
and MacWrite Pro, and Excel was introduced to kill off Lotus 123. MS was
very successful at both. And MS works killed of any serious work on
Appleworks for Mac. There was applworks for mac for several years but it
never was serious contender. iWork if you look at it is just a fancied
up rework of AppleWorks substituting Keynote in place to the internet
connection.

CyberTaz wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by "un-Apple-like", but Word is a styles-based
> application&  one of the first professional caliber word processing programs
> created for the Mac... In fact, Word*originated*  on the Mac, as did Excel&
> PowerPoint. No disrespect, but formatting in Word need not be any more
> complex than the user chooses to make it:-)

mailto:pjones1@kimbanet.com
0
Phillip

Multiply cells and format to currency in text format
Hi, I have 2 cells which I wish to multiply, and have the result be formatted in text with the 2 decimal places. 3 x 1.55 = 4.65 2 x 4 = 8.00 This is going to be used with a program which requires it to be numbers stored as text. Just basic cell formatting doesn't work. Can some one please help? Cheers -- Paul Wilson On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 16:43:02 -0800, Paul Wilson <PaulWilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have 2 cells which I wish to multiply, and have the result be formatted in >text with the 2 decimal places. > >3 x...

Custom Number Format #7
Hey guys, thank you all for the great help. Due to my Excel local settings (-Brazilian Portuguese-) i had to wor out around some changes. The formula worked *absolutely great * after some changes: =ESQUERDA(B4;1)&"-"&EXT.TEXTO(B4;4;7) Thanks A LOT!! :) The Excelder -- Excelder ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Excelders's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1556 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27130 ...

Conditional formating
Is there a way to protect/lock a cell based on a formula. For example, if A1 = "Yes" then lock cell B4:B7. ...

Customized receipt formats
I was wondering if anyone had the link to the Customized receipt formats on MS's web site. Thanks Brent Hi Brend, try this https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/downloads/reportslibrary/rms_reportslibrary.htm "Brent" wrote: > I was wondering if anyone had the link to the Customized receipt formats on > MS's web site. Thanks > Brent > > > Also I have all the receipt format and sample give me your email I will send you. "Brent" wrote: > I was wondering if anyone had the link to the Customized receipt formats on > M...

copy/paste excel charts as pictures
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC When I attempt to paste charts from Excel into Word using the 'copy picture' command, it tells me 'not enough memory'. So I upgraded from 512 Ram to 1.5 Ram, but still the same message. What's the problem? ...

Format Function
Below is a snipplet of code that gets a recordset. I'm trying to output to a text file and keep my columns of data straight by using tabs. Because of the length of records in the field objRS!sShift, the vbTab code wasn't lining my column correctly, so I used the Format() function with the "@@@@@@" parameter and my data from the objRS!sShift now right-aligns. My new problem is I have a new field called "percentData" that is a percent that I need to display as 54.62% for example. Without the Format() function, the raw output of this field looks like 0.5462625 f...

Stripping a line #3
yeah splitting them at the @ symbol. Could you be a bit more specific? -- insane ------------------------------------------------------------------------ insane's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15743 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=272588 But in your example you DIDN'T split at every @ sign: the 2nd cell contained them. On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:32:19 -0500, insane <insane.1er3sm@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote: > >yeah splitting them at the @ symbol. > >Could you be a bit more specific? ...

condition formatting not working
$N29="$0.00" applies to $O29, but it didnt trigger when O29= 0 Note: format at O29 nbr cells set to currency $ Try explaining again what is set and what should happen. Your first attempt is too cryptic. crapit wrote: > $N29="$0.00" applies to $O29, but it didnt trigger when O29= 0 > Note: format at O29 nbr cells set to currency $ > > Try $N29=0 simply use 0 zero -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "crapit" <abc@mail.com> wrote in message news:%235vuI%23xKKHA.4168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... &...

Dae format
how can we convert the date format, suppose I am entering the date as 09/09/2009 using an input box, the macro should take the date as 9/9/2009. Please help A date is a date is a date. Those two are the very same, september 9th this year. HTH. Best wishes Harald "SR" <SR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A21EC898-7F46-48E2-A313-35BC938126CB@microsoft.com... > how can we convert the date format, suppose I am entering the date as > 09/09/2009 using an input box, the macro should take the date as 9/9/2009. > > Please help on my ...

Formatting cells for decimals and hyphens
Greetings, I'm trying to make a spreadsheet of available guns at our store and I need to type in things like: ..410 ..300 ..308 ..243 30-06 but it self corrects .410 to .41 and if I write 10-11-11 it wants to create a date. How do I turn off the formatting so I can type in decimals and hyphens without excel correcting them to some other format? Thanks, Mark Preformat that range (whole column?) as text. (Format|cells|number tab|Text) Or start your data entry with an apostrophe: '.410 '30-06 Kram wrote: > > Greetings, > > I'm trying to make a spread...

Pasting into One Column
I have some text with tab characters that I would like to paste into one column. When I paste the text, it puts the text into multiple columns. How can I paste it all into one column? Thanks, Kevin Fosler Save it as a text document, open it with Excel, select Delimited, de-select the tab - set it to comma or click other and enter an % or some other character that doesn't appear in your document. It will open it with all you data in one, it will just require a little clean up. Just use the following formula in column B =CLEAN(A1) and copy it down to the end of your text. You can t...

Excel 2000
Hello I am new and exhausted from trying to find an answer to m problem. I enter a date into a cell (ex. 020206 which should auto format t 02/02/2006) but when I hit enter I get a weird date that comes u 1/23/7436. This happens with any date I enter. I tried to custom format the cel ##/##/## but that doesn't work, and I tried "text to columns" but ha no success. Any help with detailed solutions would be appreciated. thank -- vt ----------------------------------------------------------------------- vtz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&us...

Problem with custom formats
I have a client that is trying to export an excel spreadsheet to an Access database The excel spreadshheet has some custom formats to aid in the speed of data entry. The problem is this. For Instance: Cell A1 is formated Custom 5_??"/"32. When you go to that cell and enter 8 .... 5 8/32 is displayed. However the actual value in the cell is 8. When I import this cell into Access I get 8. I actually need 5 8/32 even if it is a text field. I tried all the cut and paste and special paste options to no avail. Is there any way to capture the literals in the format of the cell...

ISO SQL Date Format / ISO Date Formats
ISO date formats come in a number of variations, two such variations are YYYY-MM-DD and YYYYMMDD. The ISO SQL Standard date format is YYYY-MM-DD only which is termed a "date literal". According to the standard (see here: http://savage.net.au/SQL/sql-92.bnf.html#date literal) the "date literal" in order for it to be a "date literal" MUST be prefixed by the keyword DATE, if not then the text is simply nothing more than a "string literal" which has different meaning and subject to regional settings if used on data type conversions ie. st...

format decimal length
Hi there - I have a chart title linking to a cell that says: ="$5,000 invested annually @ " &average(U2:U40) Is there a way to limit the decimal length to only two places here? I've explored formatting and it's stuck at displaying 14 decimals. Thanks - Brian On Jul 16, 11:42 am, "Brian P." <brian.pa...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a chart title linking to a cell that says: > ="$5,000 invested annually @ " &average(U2:U40) > Is there a way to limit the decimal length to only two places here? > ="$5,000 invested annually @...

Stripping hyperlinks
Word 2007 inexplicably started stripping all hyperlinks, email addresses and other automated information a few months ago, and I can't find anything in the "Wor Options" sections to make it stop. I didn't ask it to do this, nor have I made any changes in the settings prior to when this started happening. As an example, a link such as www.yahoo.com will appear as {HPERLINK "http://www.yahoo.com"} Please help!! Press Alt+F9 to hide field codes. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "jlavietes" <jlavietes@discussions.microsoft.co...

Integration Manager Error 62 Input Past End of File
We have a Receivables Transaction integration that imports all the transactions fine and we can post the batch. However, at the end of the integration, we have this error message: Integration Manager Error 62 Input Past End of File What does this mean? We don't have any blank rows or columns in the import file. Is there any way to turn off the error? Are you using AutoDim? If so, remove the blank spaces from your autodim.txt file. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamic...

Formatting Axis
I am building a Line Chart on Excel 2003 with data from multiple sales divisions trying to show their growth in month to month sales. At the same time, I want to include a line for the total company but when I do, the lines for the divisions are all clumped together. How do I show, for instance, a set of four numbers running with dollars ranging from $500,000 to $3,000,000 for each month and then show the main company summed at $10,000,000 per month without having the first 4 lines all bunched together? Is there a way to omit the values from $4,000,000 to $9,000,000? Hope I explaine...

Converting e.g. 28-07-2004 to recognised date format
Hello I've got a column full dates in a non standard format, like below. Ho can I convert these to an excel recognised format? 28-07-2004_ 30-07-2003_ 31-07-2002_ 01-08-2001_ 31-07-2000_ 02-08-1999_ 03-08-1998_ 04-08-1997_ 29-07-1996_ 17-07-1995_ Thanks, Berti -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Bertie! Here's one way: Use a helper column and this formula: =DATE(MID(A1,7,4),MID(A1,4,2),LEFT(A1,2)) Format to the date style that you want. then you could delete the orginal list if you so desire. Biff >-----Original Message----- >Hello > >I've ...

Format options when format is selected from the top row

Conditional Formatting BOLD
Hello all. In words what I want is: IF A2 is not blank then A1 = bold. IF A2 is blank then leave text as it. Thank you all for your help. Your conditional formatting formula is =ISBLANK($A$2) How to set conditional format: XL2003 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP051992781033.aspx?pid=CH010036941033 Also http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat02.html XL2007 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP100739391033.aspx?pid=CH100648451033 (see Use a formula to determine which cells to format) -- Steve "Shhhh" <trumpet1120@comcast.net> wrote in message news:819d...

exe is being stripped from my emails
Lately, since my internet provider has upgraded its mail system, my emails containing test .exe's, which I send to my brother, are being blocked. Their support tech advised me to simply change the extension from .exe to something else, since they screen attachments according to file extensions. However, I have not figured out how to access my executable's extension. Can someone advise me on this problem? Thanks. Outlook does this too. Just ZIP the files before attaching them to your outgoing email. Rail -- Recording Engineer/Software Developer Rail Jon Rogut Sof...

custom form to strip attachments and store them
I would like to build a custom form to strip attachments and store them on a server share. Is there any way to do this in Outlook 2000/Exchange 5.5? ...

Formatting based on total in Footer
I am working on a report which summarizes orders from different customers over a certain time frame. I have a text box which totals the orders for each customer in the footer for the customer. I would like to show the customer header and the detailed order information only if the header total exceeds a certain amount. Example customer A 3 orders for a total $5,500 Customer B 2 orders for a total of $3,500, customer C 1 order for $7500. I would like the group header, the detail and the footer to show up for customers A and C, but not B, as the total is below $5,000. I have the follow...

Automatic formatting upon find/replace
I have a problem that I keep getting... I have cells with dates ranges like "2002-03" (with no quotes). The cells are formatted to text. When I do a find/replace for "20" in order to make the result "02-03", all of the cells are automatically autoformatted again to dates (apparently), resulting in "3-jan" in each cell. How can I get around this annoyance? Thanks, Aaron You could try: Edit|replace 20 with ' (single quote) but if you have 2002-20 you'll end up with 02-' I'd do a series of replaces: 2000 with '00 2001 wit...