shading behind text

I would like to place white text within a box of gray shading. When I
use the 'background' function, it shades the entire document. How do I
limit the background to a line of text?

thanks
Ken
0
krs1105

Depending on your preference I can think of at least 3 ways, but they all
may not be available to you... or instructions may vary. It depends on what
version of Word you're using & you haven't even indicated whether it's
Windows or Mac. Since you posted to the Mac Word group I'll assume you're
using a Mac version & further that it is the most current (2008):

1- If the "line" is actually a one line paragraph place you insertion point
in that paragraph, go to Format> Borders & Shading - Shading, then select
the color you want to use. If the line is a single line of a multi-line
paragraph, select the line & do as above. You can also access Borders &
Shading from that section of the Formatting Palette in the toolbox

2- Use the Highlighter tool available in the Formatting Toolbar; Click the
triangle on its right edge to select the color you want to use then select
the text you want to apply it to. [You could also select the text first.]

3- Put the text in a Text Box & format the box with the Fill you want along
with No Line or whatever line weight & color you prefer to use.

Method 1 can also be included in a Style, which would provide additional
advantages... Especially if the color needs to be applied in a number of
locations & may need to be changed/removed at some point.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/21/10 10:00 AM, in article
a5de2b5d-037b-454d-8f74-01aba2e4435a@14g2000yqp.googlegroups.com, "krs1105"
<krstone@alumni.union.edu> wrote:

> I would like to place white text within a box of gray shading. When I
> use the 'background' function, it shades the entire document. How do I
> limit the background to a line of text?
>
> thanks
> Ken

0
CyberTaz

Wrapping text in column
In Excell 2007, how do you set a column to wrap text? I tried it and even though it seems to allow me to do it when I select column and check wrap text from Format Cells, it doesn't work. It only works when I select one cell and select wrap text. This is a bit irritating as I have many cells in a column to do this to. Thanks, Tom I find that this happens when I paste from Word. If I have the fields set as Vertical/Top and Wrap Text - then I paste any data from Word, it goes to Vertical/Bottom and NOT wrap text. If I paste data from my Textpad program that spans multiple line...

Stagger X-axis text
In 1-2-3 I could stagger the text in the X-axis. In Excel it seems that I can only rotate the text to 90 degrees. Is there a way to stagger and leave horizontal? Specifically, I have all the provinces (or 10 of them) across the axis and they take up room when spelt out (no abbreviations allowed). I would rather the first, third, fifth ... etc. be higher and the second, fourth etc. be lower to allow the chart to be narrower and still read the text clearly. Cheers, Deborah >-----Original Message----- >In 1-2-3 I could stagger the text in the X-axis. In Excel it seems Deborah I would...

Excel 2002: how to incr font size in option button text
In the Properties of the button, select the right pane of the Font line, dropdown the ... and select the font and size required. jdm1051 Wrote: > -- Bryan Hessey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21059 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395719 If it's an option button from the Forms toolbar, you can't change the font size. If it's an option button from the Control toolbox: On the Control toolbox, click ...

remove shading when printing
I have a form in excel that has the unlocked cells (the ones to be filled out) shaded so they stand out to the user. (FWIW, the form is an application for services) When this form prints, I would like it to print simply with no highlighted cells showing. I want the text the user entered to show, but the background to not show. Secondly, I have a combo box in the upper left corner of the form called "choose office". The user selects the office, and based on the updates, the Address and phone/fax fields are filled in on the bottom of the form. I do not want this combo box ...

How do i make text in one column all capital letters
i have one column of data i want to change the text into capital letters without doing each item individually TrainSpotter, =UPPER(A1) will convert the text in A1 to all caps. You can then copy the formula down to match your data. Then you can copy / paste special values, and get rid of your original text. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "trainspotter20" <trainspotter20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9EFCB108-2544-4D55-AD3C-789AC549F1AA@microsoft.com... > i have one column of data i want to change the text into capital letters > without doing each item...

Problem retrieving text data from cell
Hello, I am parsing a spreadsheet and as part of the process I have to check what is in the cells in column A. The content is either a numeric character string, "019" for example, or "#N/A" The code below works fine as long as the cell contains a numeric string, but when it contains "#N/A" the behavior is strange. Dim oSourceSheet As WorkSheet If I use the Text propery, like this: sRegionNumber = oSourceSheet.Cells(lnFirstRow, 1).Text sRegionNumber is set to a Null string. If I use the default propery (Value?), like this sRegionNumber = oSourceSheet.Cells(lnFi...

How do I copy a small text box and paste into a large text box?
I know how to cut and paste. But at times I have a small text box that I want to cut and paste into a larger text box. When I do that it changes apperance to and doesn't seem to be a text box anymore or it copies the text into the text box I am trying to copy into. You cannot nest text boxes, if that's what you're asking. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Janet" <Janet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:175CC6EC-1EE5-43FC-8197-64A8E90FC60C@microsoft.com......

text color outlook 2007
I get a message I click reply and draft my response i make sure that now both the message that came in and the one i am doing are XTML. I highlight some words in the incoming and some in the reply that I have drafted highlight these one by one and change color to green the text does not turn green i know plain will not change color rich and xtml will change color could you please help thank you ...

Export a Named range to Tab seperated text file
I would like to create a macro to export a named range in Excel to a tab seperated text file, can anyone assist please ? Sub ABC() Dim bk as Workbook, bk1 as Workbook Set bk = ActiveWorkbook Set bk1 = Workbooks.Add(xlWBATWorksheet) bk.Names("MyRange").Copy bk1.Worksheets(1).Range("A1") bk1.SaveAs Filename:="C:\Data\MyFile.txt", _ FileFormat:=xlText, CreateBackup:=False bk1.close SaveChanges:=False End Sub -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Peter Kamau" <piquet.pk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uJXwcohNGHA.2912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I would l...

text field limit
I have a form where i have cells B9:I21 merged together. the alignment is to wrap text and the format is a text field. all's fine until i reach the third line of text. it is all displayed as #######. is there a limit of text allowed in a text box???? how can i go around this? i put in the following text but as soon as i put another space it swiches to #'s.: Q1: DEP RPTS WERE NOT ON FILE AND HAD TO BE PRINTED. ONCE PRINTED TWO OUT OF 3 DID NOT AGREE B/C DIR TRANSPOSED AMT ON ONE AND DEP A PMT ALMOST A MTH AFTER POSTED. Q3B: INCORRECT AMTS POSTED TO FAMILIES PER CHK DETAIL AND APPLIE...

No Message text in Inbox
Hello All! I am experiencing a strange problem with my outlook 2002 inbox. Received messages are blank when viewed in the inbox, but if I click 'Forward', then I am able to read the message... Any help with this? Thanks, Myles ...

Shades of Grey
I am trying to create a bar chart with black and shades of grey. The black prints as a medium grey and a light grey prints as white. Is this an Excel problem or a printer problem? I would say it was a printer problem - have you go the printer set to 'draft' as that makes black a light gray. Try changing it to an image setting and see if that changes the shades of gray -- John MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003 Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders) "Silver" wrote: > I am trying to create a ...

Covert date to text
I have a mass of data with dates, which I need to group by DAY. I have formatted the cell to custom "dddd" so that it shows the day, however when i pivot report it still reads the date. How can i convert the date field to text to read the day? A straight forward format of cell returns the date in number format. HELP! "Alan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0bc301c3c642$ada1f740$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have a mass of data with dates, which I need to group > by DAY. I have formatted the cell to custom "dddd" so > t...

Repeating numbers amd text ( content of the text box)
Hello, Using crosstab query, my report shows like this: Position Seq No. Position Year 2007 1. Elder Jason 1. Edler Mathew 2. Deacon Mark 2 Deacon John. How can I make it to show up like this: 1. Elder Jason Mathew 2. Deacon Mark John In other word, we do not want it to repeat the same number. With many thanks, -- H. Frank Situmorang Set the Hide Duplicates property of the Position text box. Where you also want to...

How to change text size in multiple, unlinked, text boxes at the same time?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I'm working on a number of figures that need various labels. When I change the size of the figures, if I need to, I want to be able to select all the text boxes to change the text size. Right now I have to do it one box at a time. I don't want to link the text boxes, that turns everything into a mess. Thanks. What Style are you using to format the text in the text boxes? If you change the font size in the style definition, all text formatted with that style will change. So pick a style you can use just for te...

XMLreader to text
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C3CDFB.F9247FB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How do I read the entire XML text from an XMLReader ? I just want to retrieve the XML string from a SQL SP formatted as XML. = I assumed the ExecuteXMLReader was the best option. So whats the most = streamlined process of getting the XML into a string ? Thanks Bill ------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C3CDFB.F9247FB0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-pri...

What is the raw text editor of choice? (TextPad??)
Hi Textpad seems to have a bit of a following as a raw ASCII editor... I use a very old version of TextPad (v3.2.5), which I am toying with upgrading at some point - though I'm now quite used to it and it does most things I need... Any views on what the text editor of choice would be for basic text data manipulations. Need so open fast, allow column editing column sorting UK spell check Search & replace etc Any views? S Shiperton Henethe wrote: > Hi > Textpad seems to have a bit of a following as a raw ASCII > editor... I use a very old version of TextPad (v3.2.5), &...

text box
I want a column of text boxes to automatically expand to fit the date (names) appearing in each row. The Microsoft assistance instructions tell me to click text box on the format menu and then click alignment. I do not get text box on the format menu when in Excell. Therefore, I cannot get to alignment. Can anyone give me an alternative? Thanks You could try selecting them all, and on the Draw menu on the Drawing toolbar, there is an align option . -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) ...

Text Rotation
Hello, I want to draw into a DC some rotated text, drawing also the rectangle like the selection of that text. Everything works fine except...I cannot align the text vertically to the bottom of the rectangle. Function DrawText can do that but only for single line text. I've tried also to create a bitmap with the unrotated text and rotate that bitmap but the bitmap it's not transparent and the rotation is slow... Can anybody suggest me what to do? Thanks in advance! Absolom, If single-line DrawText can do what you want, you might try to use multiple calls to this function. Yo...

Convert text entered as minutes/seconds to minutes
I have several entries (formatted as text) for example, :31, 1:04, 4:53, 23:34. These numbers indicate minutes and seconds (31 seconds, 1 hour 4 seconds, etc). What formula can I use to convert these entries into seconds? If you really meant 1:04 is "1 hour 4 seconds", you've got problems, because this is indistinguishable from the same entry meaning 1 minute, 4 seconds. Assuming you meant the latter, use the following to convert to seconds: =timevalue(a1)*60*24 Format as a number. The Timevalue function isn't really necessary, but I like to use it because i...

calendar shading
Is there a way to shade the bars that appear on a printed calendar so it is more readable? The way my Outlook 2000 is printing currently it is difficult to read. Dave French I'm not sure which bars you're referring to, so I can't answer your question directly. But many people find that the built in print styles in Outlook don't meet their needs. You might want to take a look at some free Word templates that use your Outlook calendar data to create a calendar in Word, which you can then customize to your liking. I personally use My Outlook Calendar and am very pleased wit...

Text version of formula
I Have Been Asked To Enter The Text Version Of The Formulas Below. Usin No Equals Or $ Signs. Can Anyone Help??? =subtotal (9,b17:b29) =subtotal (1,d15:d25 -- stura ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sturae's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2998 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49679 By "Text Version" do you mean "describe what the formula is doing in English", or do you mean something else? Rgds, ScottO "sturae" <sturae.20tlna_1135891201....

Multiple Background Shades in Graph
Hi, I'm trying to create graph with multiple background shades. i.e if i were trying to create a graph of the price of a stock, when the stock has had an upward trend the background would be a different color than that of when the stock has had a downward trend. Also if the colors of the background would only be on top of the stock plot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, ask72883 ...

How to add text to Reply message in a rule?
I'm setting up a Rule to be used to Reply to every sender with my new email address. In the Rules Wizard, I selected "reply using a specific template" and the system pointed to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033\MAIL.OFT. But that is an empty template; how do I configure it to include the message text? I tried copying it and adding the Subject and text but it did not save the changes. Thx, Create a message template of your own; Set Outlook as your email editor (since you are using Outlook 2003), create a message with only a subject and a body an...

how to shade a paragraph with bullets without gaps in the shade
I want to highlight paragraphs with colour and border. When the paragraph inlcudes a sentence and a bulleted list the shading has a gap. How can i get the shade to surround the whole paragraph? A single paragraph cannot include a bulleted list - at least not using the bullet and numbers facility. You would need to use Shift enter and mock up your list with bullet characters and tabs. You can then treat the resulting block as a single paragraph. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Gra...