shading behind text

I would like to place white text within a box of gray shading. When I
use the 'background' function, it shades the entire document. How do I
limit the background to a line of text?

thanks
Ken
0
krs1105

Depending on your preference I can think of at least 3 ways, but they all
may not be available to you... or instructions may vary. It depends on what
version of Word you're using & you haven't even indicated whether it's
Windows or Mac. Since you posted to the Mac Word group I'll assume you're
using a Mac version & further that it is the most current (2008):

1- If the "line" is actually a one line paragraph place you insertion point
in that paragraph, go to Format> Borders & Shading - Shading, then select
the color you want to use. If the line is a single line of a multi-line
paragraph, select the line & do as above. You can also access Borders &
Shading from that section of the Formatting Palette in the toolbox

2- Use the Highlighter tool available in the Formatting Toolbar; Click the
triangle on its right edge to select the color you want to use then select
the text you want to apply it to. [You could also select the text first.]

3- Put the text in a Text Box & format the box with the Fill you want along
with No Line or whatever line weight & color you prefer to use.

Method 1 can also be included in a Style, which would provide additional
advantages... Especially if the color needs to be applied in a number of
locations & may need to be changed/removed at some point.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/21/10 10:00 AM, in article
a5de2b5d-037b-454d-8f74-01aba2e4435a@14g2000yqp.googlegroups.com, "krs1105"
<krstone@alumni.union.edu> wrote:

> I would like to place white text within a box of gray shading. When I
> use the 'background' function, it shades the entire document. How do I
> limit the background to a line of text?
>
> thanks
> Ken

0
CyberTaz

text size keeps changing
Is there a setting somewhere in Outlook 2000 that stabilizes the text/font size of incoming emails? They show up either too small or too large, with no real pattern. John <jstein@spamfreeusa.net> wrote: > Is there a setting somewhere in Outlook 2000 that stabilizes the > text/font size of incoming emails? They show up either too small or > too large, with no real pattern. If your senders are using HTML formatting for their messages, they control the text size. -- Brian Tillman ...

Code Snippet of Display Text on Button Control
Hi, I want to display a text on a button which is dragged from the toolbox and placed on the dialog. I have posted a message regarding this ----> "Displaying text on a controls" I got the reply. But it is not still working Here is the code snippet..... MyApplicationDlg.h CButton m_button_control; MyApplicationDlg.cpp void CMyApplicationDlg::DoDataExchange(CDataExchange* pDX) { CDialog::DoDataExchange(pDX); DDX_Control(pDX, IDC_BUTTON_TEST, m_button_control); } BOOL CMyApplicationDlg::OnInitDialog() { CDialog::OnInitDialog(); (GetDlgItem(IDC_BUTTON1))->SetW...

sorting numbers and numbers that contain text in excel
A column contains both strictly numbers and also numbers that are followed by text (e.g., row 1: 1000, row 2: 1500; row 3: 1000a; row 4: 1500a) Identical numbers are related documents, with the text suffixes referring to addenda documents; thus, document 1000 has an addendum document 1000a; How can I sort the column so in the following order: row 1 (1000), row 3 (1000a), row 2 (1500), row 4 (1500a)? Thank you -- MZ =TEXT(A1,"0") will turn each into text, then sort by that helper column (and don't accept Excel's suggestion to treat text that looks like number...

VBA Code Unable To Create Text File on C:\ Drive In Acc2007
I have a VBA Code that works in Acc2000 and Acc2003 on XP Pro OS Sp3. I was tesing the same code with Acc2007 with Win 7 Pro (64-bits). My Acc2003 has Sp3 and my Acc2007 has Sp2. This is the VBA Code that I used: Dim FullPath As String Dim QueryName As String Dim filename As Variant filename = Forms![Video Export]![Text22] FullPath = "c:\" & Trim(filename) & ".txt" AvidQueryName = "OutputToVideo" DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, "Comma Delimited Spec 2007", _ QueryName, FullPath,...

Retrieve Meeting Response Text Associated with an Appointment
How do I retrieve the text of meeting responses associated with an appointment? I have redeveloped a macro which produces a word document listing the meeting response status of invitees to an appointment. I would like, for those who declined, to include the body of the meeting response (ie., where the invitee has chosen to "Edit response before sending." While the Meeting Response Status is a Recipient property, the text of the response is not. Any ideas? I'm including the macro below: Public Sub PrintAttendees() ' Gather data from an opened appointment ...

Text String Separation
Is there a function opposite of "CONCATENATE"? I have a list of names with the first and last names in the same cell. Doesn't do well if you want to sort by last name. I diregress, rather than re-typing the whole list I would like to know if anyone knows how to split the string at a 'space'. Thanks for your help. Data>Text to columns See HELP for more details, if it is not self-explanatory already -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "TexasLegend" <jrhughson@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1135807231.369309.264310@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Is...

Adding text onto a Graph
I want to add a note on the bottom of some graphs to indicate who they were produced by. Have tried adding a text box, but this disappears when I select the graph for printing. Note: I have several graphs on one worksheet. Can someone please tell me how to do this. Thanks lots. Hi Gaye, The simplest way is to select the chart and the just type some text. A textbox will be created that is embedded inside the chart instead of just over it, like it would appear you currently have. To make the textboxes you have already created part of the chart select the textbox and prs CTRL+X now sele...

Text to Speech prompt
Somehow I accidentally started an install of the above feature in Excel XP. Now every time I open Excel a prompt appears asking if I want to install Text to Speech. I have gone to Add/Remove Programs and removed all the features under Alternative User Input by marking it Unavailable, but the prompt continues. How do I get rid of this prompt? I do not anticipate EVER installing this feature. TIA! Can anyone offer any insight into this problem? "Brenda Hutton" <bhuttoNOSPAM@michigan.gov> wrote in message news:O4DX3IPwEHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Somehow I acciden...

Need help with wrapping text
I am trying to show this text by using the wrap feature. This works i other cells in my spreadsheet but not this one. Can someone tell me wh it is not working or what I can do to show this text wrapped. I hav copied it to a new sheet to attach it to this post for you to look at. Thank Attachment filename: excel problem.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=54733 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com GetGo Format the cell as General with Text alignment Horizontal: General and Vertical: Top Worked for me Regards Trevo...

Text quote marks in Macro
If have a macro which is to replace a formula in a cell where the operator has the option of either accepting the formula result as a default or overtyping with a different value. A "Reset" button runs the macro that restores the formula into the cell. The line that does this is .. Range("New_Sec") = "=If(Purpose_1="Upstamp",0,1)" The obvious problem is that the Macro needs to see the formula as a string so that it can be put back into the cell, so it is enclosed in quotes, and the formula needs to have "Upstamp" defined as a string, so ...

Chart title text linked from a cell? Possible?
I would like to make a chart that has its title text linked to the contents of a cell. It is not obvious how to do this, or even if it is possible. It appears like the chart title is static -- you have to manually type in the title, even if it already, conveniently, exists in the contents of a cell somewhere. Is there a way to do it? I have a giant array of charts I am making and the titles are already written into the first column, it would be ncie to just link them into the title space. A second, but related question is, can I create text boxes within a chart, whose contents are defined...

How to import text file into excel file using VB
Hi, How do I create a form with import button in excel file? The impor button can perform the function of import the text file into worksheet. Please give me some ideas of doing it. I have attached a text file for your reference. Thanks ! Ann : Attachment filename: rdata.txt Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=66226 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com How about recording a macro when you do it manually the first time. Post back with followup questions. "annsmjarm <" wrote: > > Hi, > Ho...

Is there a way I can enter a letter to proceed text a column of ce
I need to enter a source code (letter W) before all the text that I have listed in a column. Example: All of column C has text... MPV001, MPV002, MPV003, ETC. I need to put a "W" in front of all the text. i.e. WMPV001, WMPV002, WMPV003, ETC. Is there a way to do this without manually typing W in all the cells? The spreadsheet has 1500 rows... MelanieWW wrote: > I need to enter a source code (letter W) before all the text that I > have listed in a column. Example: All of column C has text... > MPV001, MPV002, MPV003, ETC. I need to put a "W" in front of...

How do I get rid of line feed characters in wrapped text?
I have to use a database which has been imported into Excel. In one of the fields the address details appear as wrapped text. When I unwrap the text there is a "square" character between the 2 parts of the field. How do I get rid of this? All assistance appreciated, thanks. Glad The boxes are probably carriage returns. In Excel, try Edit>Replace what: ALT + 0010(on numpad) with: space(or nothing) OR ALT + 0013 If this doesn't work, post back. There are other avenues of approach. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:23:02 -0800, "Gladmac" <Gl...

text fragment comparison
i must count similar pathways, but to a limited extent: eg: column: >RIO>ASSU>Droit à partir de 2010 >RIO>ASSU>Droit avant 2010 >RIO>ASSU>Droit avant 2010>Montant minimum >RIO>ASSU>Droit avant 2010>Montant minimum>Régime général >RIO>ASSU>Droit avant 2010>Montant minimum>Régime indépendant The structure of the text is always the same; i always compare the cell below to the direct cell above. The 'cut of' lies on the 4th ">" So: if the texte before the 4th ">"...

Text to Columns issue with Date & Time
I exported a report from our problem tracking system into Excel, and th date and time show up in one cell together with a space between. Ex 10/25/04 14:56. When I try to split them into two columns using the 'Text to Columns feature, (space delimited) it changes it to three columns that loo like this: A) 10/25/04 0:00 B) 1/0/00 2:56 C) PM I don't want the 0:00 in column A, or the 1/0/00 in column B, and m preference is that it would leave the time in a 24 hour format although that's not critical. Ideal would be A) 10/25/04 B 14:56. I tried formatting the column...

Graphic and text resizing
I'm making a log and have a graphic from MS and I've added text next to it. But when I group and then try to resize by the corner handle (and use the shift key) it doesn't resize right. Part of the text isn't showing. The graphic is smaller but the text starts disappearing as it gets smaller. I thought resizing by grouping would resize the whole object/text as a whole. Help! -- Norma Select the text box, format, autofit text, check "shrink text on overflow." -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.co...

Hacking keystrokes left behind by IE
I have a tech who said he got a password used on a mesh (wireless) network browser interface. To access the mesh admin page you must use a web interface. This is the techs answer on how he did it... *******************************************************8 Our tech needed the pw to install the replacement antenna/switch (last week) at the building. My tech, Mike said retrieving the pw from the DVR hard drive isn’t a flaw in XP. He said he would not be able to ‘hack’ this remotely. But this could be done with any operating system if you have physical control of the PC (DVR)....

Importing from delimited text file & removing duplicates
Hi I have a problem which I hope someone can help me with because I really don't even know where to start with it. I am using Access 2003. I have a delimited text file which contains about 200,000 lines. There are only 2 fields, Role and ID. The role field contains many duplicates, out of the 200,000 records I think there are only 16,000 unique roles. Role ID AB_F2S_COST_PLAN_CLK EE1 AB_F2S_COST_PLAN_CLK LT10 AB_F2S_COST_PLAN_CLK LT18 AB_F2S_COST_PLAN_CLK LT3 AB_F2S_COST_PLAN_CLK LT7 AB_F2S_COST_PLAN_...

Delete rows with specific text
Hi all, I have figured out how to use the replace feature to replace certain words or lines with others. My question is: Can this or any other feature be used to delete entire rows? For example, I have several rows to be deleted spread out over a worksheet that is hundreds of pages long. All of these rows begin with the word "press". Any suggestions? Thank you very much. -- Thanks, David Two options. 1. Can you sort your data? If so, sort based on the cell that begins with "press" then all of the rows you need to delete will be together and you can dele...

Picts in text
When I receive picture or other e-mail from a friend it occasionally arrives as a "txt" file. Not all the time... Occasionally also, if he sends me a series of, say 5 or 6 picts I have just a box with the red x, but as I sroll farther down the page the pictures are present. thanks in advance, jem what email client does he use? the problem could be on his end or yours. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginn...

Text box in drawing toolbar in Excel
Once I created a text box, I would like to delete the border so it shows only the text and no border when printing. Thank-You B.W. One way select the textbox, right click the border, select format text box, select colors and lines, in the dropdown for the line area select a white colour -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Nothwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com "It is a good thing to follow the first law of holes; if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey "B.W." <BW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBE4CD94-3D3D-4E32...

Sending English and Japanese text in Outlook 2003
I met Japanese people on my holidays and they kindly emailed me some phantastic holiday snaps a few weeks later. They hardly spoke any English and I want to send them an Email in Outlook 2003, thanking them in English, and then include an automatic Japanese translation, similar to a 'Babelfish' generated one. I cut and paste the Japanese translation into my Outlook 2003 email and sent it to another email address of mine for test purposes, and all I received instead of the Japanese characters were question marks. I am wonderin what do I need to do to make it highly likely that m...

Using a function with numbers & text
I have 6 columns, B has numbers + text (3d, 6c, ad, kd) C has numbers + text ( 3 down, 6 cube, alternate dialog) I want to input into D 6c and have the return in E be 6 cube, or ad input/alternate dialog output. I have over 60 input/output codes. I tried the IF function but it won't work with text. Is there a function that will accomplish this? TIA Hi, If you have over 60 I/O codes, you should probably use VLOOKUP. If it doesn't already exist, write a 2-column table of input/output codes. In C1, enter =IF(D1="","",VLOOKUP(D1,AA1:AB60,2,0)) (Where AA1:AB60...

Can Comments be automatically converted to text cell values?
I have a large number of cells with Comments. I'd like to basically convert the Comments to text values in cells (in a column right next to the cells that have the Comments). Is there a function or other tool for doing this in Excel 2000? Hi Tom, You can use a User Defined Function to do that. Cell Comments http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ccomment.htm#mycomment --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "t...