Sending a file

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

I tried to email a file to a company and they couldn't read the attachment.  They said it seemed to be empty.  This has happened to me before when sending to a PC.  I checked the attachment before I sent it and it appeared to be okay.  I may not get a job because of this (long story).  Am I just out of luck because I have a Mac?
0
Zeke1956

If you tried sending it through your mail program, try it again by sending it through browser mail, and vice-versa. If that fails try USendIt.
0
michael_carr
6/4/2010 4:12:55 PM
Attachment Checklist:

1- Make sure to include filename extensions (.doc, .docx, .xls, etc.),
2- Check your email software settings for encoding attachments,
3- Stuff/Zip the file & attach the zipped copy,
4- Wherever possible send a PDF rather than an editable copy of the file.

--
HTH |:>)
Bob Jones

<Zeke1956@officeformac.com> wrote in message
> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I
> tried to email a file to a company and they couldn't read the attachment.
> They said it seemed to be empty. This has happened to me before when
> sending to a PC. I checked the attachment before I sent it and it appeared
> to be okay. I may not get a job because of this (long story). Am I just
> out of luck because I have a Mac?

0
CyberTaz
6/4/2010 4:29:12 PM
How can I include extensions, CyberTaz?  I just used the attach function on the email program.
0
Zeke1956
6/4/2010 9:52:15 PM
When you save the file (whatever the program) check the box to 'Append
filename extensions' in the Save As dialog.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/4/10 5:52 PM, in article 59bb95d6.2@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Zeke1956@officeformac.com" <Zeke1956@officeformac.com> wrote:

> How can I include extensions, CyberTaz?  I just used the attach function on
> the email program.

0
CyberTaz
6/4/2010 11:08:22 PM
If the file has an extension before you attach it, then it will have an
extension when it gets there.  If the file has no extension on your
computer, it will be wrong everywhere (including your computer...)

But your problem is probably because you are sending the email encoded in
"AppleDouble" file format.  When you do that, the Mac sends an old-fashioned
file format that shows up as two files, a "Resource Fork" and a "Data Fork".

The Resource Fork IS empty, on both Mac and Windows.  The Mac operating
system hides the empty file, Windows should too, but if the recipient is
using an old version of Windows and they don't know what they are doing,
they will see both files.

The resource form file will appear at the top of the list, because its name
begins with a period and underscore.  When they open that on Windows, it
will indeed be empty, because it was empty on the Mac too.  If they scrolled
the list and opened the data fork file immediately below it, they would have
your document!  But that would require thought and effort, something HR
Departments are not known for...

I do not know why Apple persists with this silly piece of history, because
Apple applications don't use the resource fork either, on a modern system.

If you look in your email system for "Send Windows-friendly attachments" and
check that, you will never have this problem again, on either Mac or
Windows, because every computer out there can read the single file that gets
sent.

Hope this helps

On 5/06/10 7:52 AM, in article 59bb95d6.2@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Zeke1956@officeformac.com" <Zeke1956@officeformac.com> wrote:

> How can I include extensions, CyberTaz?  I just used the attach function on
> the email program.

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_

Free Download of File Conversion Software
Free 60-day trial download of ConvertMyFile, a Windows program that lets you convert your files into alternative formats. �ConvertMyFile will transform Word Documents (in RTF format) to PDF Files. �ConvertMyFile will convert Excel Spreadsheets into PDF format as well as into HTML pages. �ConvertMyFile will also take your pictures (BMP or JPG) and convert them into PDF files. Only $9.95 to license. Quantity discounts and site licenses available. www.geocities.com/conversionsoftware http://www.cutepdf.com/ Freeware PDF file maker. - Jon Boba Fett wrote: > Free 60-day trial download...

No message in outbox

notebook file locations
i would like to set up a notebook for each of my clients (estimated 500 notebooks) and put them on a server so other staffers can access and share. Is it possible to still use search functions or do all of the notebooks have to be open to search the files. edwhicks wrote: > i would like to set up a notebook for each of my clients (estimated > 500 notebooks) and put them on a server so other staffers can access > and share. Is it possible to still use search functions or do all of > the notebooks have to be open to search the files. The search only works for files whi...

Sending mail from remote location

Sending a macro to another PC-how?

Recovering .pst file
I've posted a few queries about this - I'm getting closer but still not quite there. I had to re-build my computer from a "format c:" on up (after doing a backup). Everything rebuilt OK, applications re-installed, docs restored. All works great now except that I cannot seem to get Outlook 2002 (on Windows XP Pro) to recognize the 100+MB of saved e- mails, contacts, etc. from the backed-up pst file. I've tried most everything suggest here in similar problem reports - opening the backup version from the file menu, scanpst, and importing it. All seemed to work -...

Send and Recieve Fix

Unable to send?

No Permission to Send/Receive Email???

Open/Import mny file from Money 2004
I purchased Money Essentials without first testing it against my Mny file created with Money 2004. I get the following message on Vista when attempting to open it --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money Essentials is unable to open files from other versions of Money. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- Is there a way I can import those transactions? I'm assuming there's no way for me to return the software either. THanks -- Dev In microsoft.public.money, Dev Ashish wrote: >I purchased Money Essentials without fi...

Sending messages in Outlook

How do I merge two files in Excel?
How do I merge two Excel files, each with a different name and different data? Thanks...Mike Hi you may provide some more details: - data layout - HOW you want to merge them - etc -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Chem303" <Chem303@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BACC8208-C906-4B80-A3B7-6DFD260C00A4@microsoft.com... > How do I merge two Excel files, each with a different name and different > data? Thanks...Mike ...

Send Do Not Send

Deleting Files in Content.IE5
I have over 300 MB's I the content.IE5 folder (normally invisible). Can I just manually delete the files in this folder? What purpose do they serve? Thanks, Oreally "OREALLY" <oreally@comcast.net> wrote in message news:u7SSO97cKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > > I have over 300 MB's I the content.IE5 folder (normally invisible). Can I > just manually delete the files in this folder? What purpose do they serve? > > Thanks, > > Oreally One, why are you still using IE5? Have you started using fire yet? You own a couple fo...

Can't find my pab file in outlook 2002
I can't find my pab file so I can copy my contacts to another computer. I don't know that Outlook uses a PAB file unless you specified it when you set that version of Outlook up. If you did, do a file search for *.pab. If not, then it should be located in a .pst. Are you using Outlook via POP3 for mail, IMAP, Exchange (usually a business environment? -- K. Orland Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny "Kathy" wrote: > I can't find my pab file so I can copy my cont...

Anyway to repair corrupt Publisher 2007 file?
I've searched and can't find a solution. Any ideas? How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198256/en-us Is your anti-virus software current? An out-of-date antivirus program may cause errors when you try to open an Office document or to start Outlook http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835404/en-us Error message when you try to open a publication in Publisher: "Publisher cannot open the file" or "Publisher has detected a problem" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928890/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.micr...

Sending on behalf... Exchange 2003

What was Outlook sending?

appending data from text file with different column orderings
I'm interested in appending data to an Access table without having tobe constrained by the order of the columns in an external file. Forinstance, if I have a table with 4 fields - A, B, C, D - I would liketo be able to have my external file in any column order, say D, C, B,A. Is this possible without programming?>From what I've seen, it seems that I would have to have my externalfile ordered the same as the table - A, B, C, D - and I'd like to haveindependence of the table ordering.Denis On Mar 14, 4:37 pm, John Nurick <j.mapSoN.nur...@dial.pipex.com>wrote:> Hi Denis,...

opening Windows Excel 2003 files with my Mac Excel 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I cannot open the Windows Excel 2003 files sent to me by my accountant. I have Mac Excel 2008. It defaults to the Numbers program, part of Iworks. I need the full functions of Excel to work on the files...not Numbers. thanks I suspect that this is the same problem I have found with Keynote/ PowerPoint. Hold the control key down while you press the mouse on the file you are trying to open. Then pick "Open with" and choose Excel. If you have a two (or more button mouse you can also use "right click" ...

'SEND' just sends it to the OUTBOX

Outlook Can't Send Messages

Rules Wizard and Send/Receive error
A couple of days ago, I received an alert from Norton Antivirus software that the file "belt.cab" was corrupted but could not be deleted. Fearing the worst, I manually deleted the file. Since then, Outlook appears to be completely disabled, with the symptoms being that several commands have disappeared from the Tools menu including Send/Receive (both), Rules Wizard, Out of Office Assistant. I can compose an email, but it will not send. I have checked my email accounts and all appears to be in order. Even after a complete reinstall, I cannot send/receive email. The on...