Repeating Style Columns in Draft View ?

In Draft View of Word 2008, when I use the horizontal scrollbar or that
feature on the mouse/keypad, I will end up with repeats of the left hand
style column; 3, 4, 5 of them. I switch to another View and return and
all is well with the "style" column showing.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug or something else?

Thanks.

--
Norm
0

That's a "feature".

Draft is a special view designed to maximise computing efficiency.  It has
many purposes, but its major purpose is to work on big documents (over 200
pages) and to make editing easier by showing you more of what is going on.

Among its power-saving tricks is that it does not bother to redraw parts of
the screen that may not contain useful information.  Since it's not going to
update these parts of the screen, it tries to avoid doing the calculations
needed to work out what would be on them.

So if you do something like scroll into an area where Word hasn't worked out
what should be on the screen, it will draw only what it knows about.  Just
carry on: when you make a change to the text that forces that area of the
document to change, Word will do the sums then.

Draft View uses about 10,000 times less battery power than Print Layout
View, and Print Preview uses more than 10,000 times more power than Print
Layout.  Proofing a large document in Print Preview, get used to a
background of wailing cooling fans :-)

Cheers

On 4/04/10 1:48 AM, in article
Vv6dnRFT_Mi2yCrWnZ2dnUVZ_q-dnZ2d@speakeasy.net, "Norm"
<NOSPAM@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In Draft View of Word 2008, when I use the horizontal scrollbar or that
> feature on the mouse/keypad, I will end up with repeats of the left hand
> style column; 3, 4, 5 of them. I switch to another View and return and
> all is well with the "style" column showing.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug or something else?
>
> Thanks.

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

0
John

Transaction coding style
Hi Am trying to code correct and are wondering which of these code blocks are the most right. Thanks --Version 1: BEGIN TRY BEGIN TRANSACTION DELETE FROM dbo.Address WHERE UserId = @userid; IF(@@ROWCOUNT = 0) BEGIN IF(@@TRANCOUNT > 0) ROLLBACK TRANSACTION; SET @statuscode = 20; RETURN; END SET @statuscode = 100; COMMIT TRANSACTION; END TRY BEGIN CATCH IF(@@TRANCOUNT > 0)ROLLBACK TRANSACTION; EXEC dbo.Error_ErrorHandler; SET @statuscode =...

How to select cells (located in a column) for formulas in a row automatically?
Hello How to use cells (located in a column) in formulas in a row automatically? I cannot copy the formula to other cells in the row because the coping moves the selection to another column, not to a another row in the same column. Use a $ (dollar sign) infront of the row or column you do not wat to change. "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote in message news:OqbeN%23lzFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hello > How to use cells (located in a column) in formulas in a row automatically? > I > cannot copy the formula to other cells in the row because the ...

Repeating cell-contents
A1 contains "Smith" A53 contains "Jones" A459 contains "Smith" A1072 contains "Peterson" A23405 contains "Smith" A45234 contains "Samantha" What formula can I use to put: "Smith" in B1 thru B52 blanks in B53 thru B458 "Smith" in B459 thru B1071 blanks in A1072 thru B23404 "Smith" in A23405 thru B45233 blanks in A45234 thru A65536 Thanks, Gary Hi Gary try the following: In B1 enter =A1 in B2 enter =IF(A2="",B1,IF(B1="",A2,"")) and ...

Unable to change style format
I am using Word 2000. I inherited a document and started setting up formats for my own styles, particularly Normal. I then used the format brush to change certain paragraphs to Normal. One paragraph is not behaving as expected. The whole paragraph has been changed to Normal, i.e. Arial 10 but the last 2 words are size 12. I have tried applying the Normal style directly to the whole paragraph and to the last 2 words only but the size just won't change. Any help? To add on: I know I can just select the words and change the font to 10 manually. But I'm interested...

Macro help with hiding columns based on date ranges in a column
I have a scheduling spreadsheet where I need to schedule healthcare staff to cover 6 floors of a longterm care center. In column A I have the floor number assignment starting with floor 1. In column B I have each day of the current year from 01/01/2004 to 12/31/2004 repeated for all 6 floors. As you can imagine it's difficult working with so many rows of data. As the scheduling person plans in smaller windows of time, I would like to employ a simple auto-hide of date ranges that they don't need to see for their planning purpose. I was hoping that someone could provide me with some macr...

2nd view class in SDI
I have a book that describes how to add a second view class to an SDI application, & toggle views via the View menu. It doesn't say how to create the second view class. I right clicked on the Class view to add a view based on CListView, but had to manually add Afxcview.h to stdafx.h to get it to compile. Is there a more efficient way of doing this? Rob wrote: > I have a book that describes how to add a second view class to an SDI > application, & toggle views via the View menu. It doesn't say how to create > the second view class. I right clicked on the Class view t...

columns #3
How do I re-name the columns for A, B, C, etc... to what I want- I am trying to make a guest list and need to change the column names. Please help me That ability does not exist in XL. In article <ECC6FF32-BFA6-4722-8AA3-8897B1BDE3E3@microsoft.com>, Melisa <Melisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I re-name the columns for A, B, C, etc... to what I want- I am trying > to make a guest list and need to change the column names. > > Please help me A workaround since you cannot change the letters as JE points out. Use row 1 for your titles then select...

Printing a Repeated Section Messege like "Continued"
Setting the repeated section property in a report (Access 2007) to Yes, writes the section Heading on the next page when the detail section is not complete at the page break. I would like the bottom of the first page to print "Continued on Next Page" and/or the top of the second page to say "Continued from ...)" so the report reader knows the details are part of the previous section on the previous page, and not in an entriely new section of the report. Can this be done dynamically in a report, since some pages naturally break when a section ends and other pag...

Repeating rows dont repeat fully when columns also repeat
I am repeating rows 1 through 4 and columns A through D. At least that is what I'm trying to do. On page two, the columns repeat but then the rows do not (beyond columns A through D). Is there a way to make it so that they both repeat? In re-reading the above, I'm not sure I'm making myself clear. Assume that XX's represent the repeating rows and ZZ's represent the repeating columns. This is what I'd like to see: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ZZZZZZZZZZZ YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ZZZZZ...

qry for Excel report with weekly data in a vertical column
tblArea AreaID area tblHeadEnd HeadEndID AreaID headend tblRouter RouterID HeadEndID router tblPorts PortID RouterID tblTransmitter TransmitterID PortID transmitter PortID RouterID tblNodes NodeID transmitterID tblNodeNamesID NodeID ParentNodeName date created tblUtilization utilID NodeID percentage Date The report shows weekly utilization data for an ISP. This structure is 1:M in the areas to the headend. The headend has 1:m routers, each router has 1:M ports. The transmitter can have either 1:1 to nodes or 1:M . The nodeNames table is for th...

random numbers, how can you utilize it without repeating them
How can you use random numbers without repeating them on a worksheet? The way it is set up now is, example: =RANDBETWEEN(1,8) I would like to be able to use the random between but I don't want the numbers to repeat themselves within the worksheet. Any suggestions or Ideas? http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/randint.html -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "RS" <RS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75427E72-3EAA-4105-A65B-53F0F1213414@microsoft.com... > How can you use random numbers without repeating them on a worksheet? The >...

SUMIF with two columns
[Excel 2003] Assume a worksheet with with numbers in column A; Boolean criterion [Y or N] in column B; and another Boolean criterion [Y or N] in column C. I would like to add the numbers in column A for all rows that have 'y' in both columns B and C. I have been trying to do this with a SUMIF statement in which the criteria is a combination of the two columns. I have not been able to find the magic formula, so either I am missing the correct syntax or there is a better formula to use. Help would be appreciated! =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A25),--(B1:B25="Y"),--(C1:C25="Y&quo...

repeating cells in footer in excel
I need prepare a form with many lines. In this form I need to provide a footer (with a group of cells) for approvement. Even I can select cells to repeat in every page header there is no such a feature for footers. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http:...

'Modified On' View does not display correct information
I want to see exactly in the 'My Open Opportunities' view when I added a note to an opportunity. I initially configured the 'My Open Opportunities' view to also show the 'Modified On' column, but that only shows modifications to the opportunity itself and not when you add notes. Is there a way to define a relationship between the notes and the opportunity or account, so CRM knows that when you add a note, it 'modifies' the opportunity or account? Thanks! The only way to do this would be to develop a plugin which updates the parent object when a note is a...

change text string view during function procedure
Hi all how can i refresh a screen textbox view during a function procedure. the textbox suppose to be a filter on a query and change depending on the command in the function is it possible to make the refresh,for now there is no change in the textbox ...

Manage styles
When I have a new email open I clicked on the Manage Styles icon and chose import to try and pull my style definitions from my word documents and templates. I click on Close for normal.dotm, and then find that when I click on Open nothing happens! I can't even reopen normal.dotm Is this working correctly? Christine ...

How can I calculate from one culumn to another column?
How can I Calculate from on e column to another column so that the entire column will always have the same affect without having to do a fill down on the column? Maybe with a macro, but you'd have to supply more information. Perhaps a better solution is learning the tricks to filling down a column. On a properly designed spreadsheet (no blank rows), a simple double-click on the fill handle will fill the column. Fred. "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7829682-719E-4062-8801-2B6A53E3E160@microsoft.com... > How can I Calculat...

combo clustered column and stacked column chart
Hello, I want to make a combination of a clustered column and a stacked column chart. How can I do this? Jan I have some links to examples on this web page (why reinvent the wheel?): http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Jan wrote: > Hello, > > I want to make a combination of a clustered column and a stacked column > chart. How can I do this? > > Jan > > ...

Calculating Profit and Loss in one column
Hi, I am trying to total the profit column using this formula without any success: =IF(OR($J3="",ISERROR(MATCH(-$J3,$J3:$J$1002,0)),),"",$J3*(OFFSET($K3,MATCH (-$J3,$J3:$J$1002,0)-1,)-$K3)) Where a (1) means the purchase price subtracted from (-1) sales price and the same (-1) is the sales price and the next (1) is the purchase price and so on. Calculating by hand would look like this: 101.125 - 100.531 = +.594 and, 101.125 - 94.750 = +6.375 and, 98.250 - 94.750 = +3.500 MARKET ENTRY PROFIT POSITION PRICE 1 100.531 1 1 1 1 1 1 -1 ...

Repeats
On one of my worksheets I type the day of the week in the first column, followed by the date in the second column etc. Since the current entry is in line 3,675th when I typed the first letter of the day the rest was completed automatically. E.g. If I typed M then onday followed, as were entries of the same gist in other columns, when the first word of the information was typed. Suddenly this stopped. Why I have no idea, but would appreciate if someone told me how to restore this time and typing savings. Thanks! Tools>Options>Edit, check that Enable Autocomplete for Cell Values i...

allowing for repeating bank entries
Many customers have the same electronic payments coming out of their accounts every month. It would be very helpful if they could create either recurring batches or repeating transactions so they didn't have to do this same data entry every month. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I...

doc/view question #3
I have a doc/view exe that I created as Explorer-style, which means that each doc has a splitter window like windows Explorer. When the user moves the splitter position, I want the doc to be able to save this info, and restore it when the doc is reopened. How can I accomplish this, since the splitter lives in the ChildFrm rather than a view? Also, how can I create MDI child windows maximized? As the help suggests, in CChildFrm I overrode the PreCreateWindow method to add the WS_MAXIMIZE style, but this didn't work. Lastly, how can I maximize the application itself? Thanks for t...

repeat last step #3
THANKS!!! I will try these techs out....and let you know how it goes.. -- alexshield ----------------------------------------------------------------------- alexshields's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1404 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26487 ...

'In the Next 7 Days' View Problem
I have noticed recently, on two seperate CRM installations, that Opportunity Views with a filter on a date field using the conditions 'In the next 7 days' or 'In the last 7 days' no longer work. 'In the next 7 days' seems to return all dates in the future except those that are actually in the next 7 days! 'In the last 7 days' is so erratic that I haven't been able to figure out what it is doing. On both CRM servers these Views have been working for months without changes being made to them. Has any one else encountered this problem or have any ideas ho...