Quit Word 2008 in Snow Leopard time ?

I've noticed since upgrading to Snow Leopard that when I quit Word 2008
it takes a long time, as it always had, but now the Menu Bar changes so
on the "left" end there is just the Apple icon and then a Script icon
next to it (where the running application title is normally).

Is this normal or should I go on a search for answers to this and
perhaps other yet to see problems?

Thanks for any tips.

--
Norm
0

Hi Norm:

What that means is that Word is exiting and clearing its icons from the menu
bar, then the system is cleaning up a bit later.

The system owns the menu bar, not Word.  The system does the cleanup when it
has nothing better to do.  On my system, this all happens too fast to see.

If it takes a while, that indicates that "something" is slowing things down.
It could be "anything", so absent any further problems, I would not go
looking for trouble.  If there is a real problem, it will come and find you
soon enough :-)

For example, if you turn the power-saving to max on a laptop and allow the
hard disks to go to sleep, that will do it.  There's nothing wrong: the
system is simply waiting for the disk to spin up so it can save the Normal
template and the prefs.

If it's not a laptop, it can be an indication that the system is struggling
for memory, or that the disk is too full.

I think I would wait for a more definitive indication of trouble, if I were
you.  If it's memory, the system will be slow in other ways also, and will
eventually start complaining.  If the disk is below 90 per cent full, then
it's not the disk (or at least, it's not that, it may still be that the disk
is going to sleep due to the power saving settings...)

Cheers

On 7/12/09 7:51 AM, in article
cNqdnb4yjdfehIHWnZ2dnUVZ_v6dnZ2d@speakeasy.net, "Norm"
<NOSPAM@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> I've noticed since upgrading to Snow Leopard that when I quit Word 2008
> it takes a long time, as it always had, but now the Menu Bar changes so
> on the "left" end there is just the Apple icon and then a Script icon
> next to it (where the running application title is normally).
>
> Is this normal or should I go on a search for answers to this and
> perhaps other yet to see problems?
>
> Thanks for any tips.

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
12/7/2009 6:37:15 AM
In article <C742EDCB.5730%john@mcghie.name>,
 John McGhie <john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> If it takes a while, that indicates that "something" is slowing things down.
> It could be "anything", so absent any further problems, I would not go
> looking for trouble.  If there is a real problem, it will come and find you
> soon enough :-)

I'll hope it doesn't. ;)

Thanks for the info.

--
Norm
0

microsoft word sections

Word 2003 is "jumping" my cursor around the screen
I am a writer, using MS Word 2003 to write a novel. I write as usual and I think you all have used Word to write, and the thing is this. When I am writing the word say "science" when I get to the letter e, the cursor "jumps" to wherever I've "left" the cursor with the mouse. That is, no matter what the word or letter I'm 'on' the writing goes okay for a moment or two and then the cursor 'jumps' and it's inserted itself and I'm still typing but the spot where the cursor SHOULD be has changed...so I'm making typing ...

Getting rid of excel message after quiting excel
L.S., Via Oracle I save an excel-file to a text (txt) file. In the Oracle-code I want to automatically close Excel, but the message: 'test.txt is not in Microsoft97-format. Do you want to save your changes? bla bla bla.' Is there a way this message can be skipped? The same for the message 'test.txt already exists. Overwrite file?'. Hope anyone can help me! Wilco Morren Hi Wilco Application.DisplayAlerts = False is the standard way, assuming you are talking Excel VBA code. Hope it translates to "Oracle code" one way or another. -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Exce...

Using Word As Email Editor
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop Why can't I copy/paste a table from a word docx into an email? Once pasted into the email, the document loses all formatting - including the table? On 2/9/10 3:55 PM, in article 59bb28f3.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "Aun_Dohadwala@officeformac.com" <Aun_Dohadwala@officeformac.com> wrote: > Why can't I copy/paste a table from a word docx into an email? Once pasted > into the email, the document loses all formatting - including the table? Entourage does not ha...

Time-of-Day picker
Does anybody know if a ready made solution of time-of-day picker control exist? Need it in MFC or ATL , without .Net runtime - examples http://static.rbytes.net/fullsize_screenshots/k/i/kidswatch-time-control.jpg see screenshot or http://69.10.233.10/KB/miscctrl/timeframe.aspx TECH http://www.lastdownload.com ...

Crashing Word
I have Word installed (part of Office:Mac) - on a Powerbook running OS 10.3.4 Word crashes every time I open it. Went to the MS site - no real help there - any ideas out there? In article <1ce4601c452ec$dc854ee0$a001280a@phx.gbl>, "CHRISTOPHER SMITH" <cesmith111@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have Word installed (part of Office:Mac) - on a Powerbook running OS > 10.3.4 > > Word crashes every time I open it. > > Went to the MS site - no real help there - any ideas out there? Which version of Office? You may find these troubleshooting suggestions usefu...

Word Crashes on Close
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Just updated from Office for Mac 2004, to 2008 (Expressions Media update). Upgrade went smoothly and all applications are performing as expected with one exception. I open Word, work on a couple of documents, saving them as I work. When I am done and quit Word I get an error message telling me that "an error has occurred. Check your network connection, or make sure the disk is properly inserted and not defective" (Normal.dotm)" Clicking the OK radio button on the error message. I then get the typical foll...

Copying contacts into Word
Hi I have Outlook 2000 (and another PC with Outlook 2003 if this makes my problem easier). Is there an quick way to get names, email addresses, postal addresses, etc of all contacts in each Contact Groups (I think that's what they are called - the groups are in bold in the "Address Book" dialog)? I want to put them in Word tables (with a different table for each group). I can double-click on a contact and copy each details into Word using copy and paste, but doing this for each contact in a Contact Group (there are hundreds) isn't feasible. If there's a way to cop...

ADPREP 2008 in a 2003 domain
Hi All, We are looking to install a member server 2008 into a server 2003 domain. Is it safe to upgrade the schema to 2008 without having a server 2008 DC? I'd like the able to have some of the functionality of 2008 but we are unprepared at this point to migrate a DC to 2008. Many of our workstations are Vista and now Windows 7, and the admin tools in those can take advantage of the enhancements of 2008 allowing us to use things like the new group policy extensions etc. Thanks in Advance Andy Hello Andy, You can upgrade the schema without adding a DC, that is ...

Application.Quit / DoCmd.Quit Fails
Greetings: I was looking at the task manager and just noticed that Access isn't really closing when I exit my application. One copy of Access shows up in the processes list for each time I open and close the application. (It doesn't appear in the applications list.) I've read dozens of posts about the merits of DoCmd.Quit v. Application.Quit, closing recordsets and setting their variables = Nothing. No matter what I do, Access remains open in the background. Here are the significant parts of my code: Private Sub cmdQuit_Click() DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmMenuMain", ac...

Opening Word '07 askes to add a file from disk, why?
I've downloaded Office 2007 but when I open Word my computer always opens a box asking me to insert a disk to copy a file it needs. I can't run my '07 version of Office. I had previously been using Office 2003 with no problems. What's up? ...

sum and minus columns and rows at the same time
How do I use the minus feature to subtract numbers in a row and then keep a running total in the corresponding column? I have tried everything I know and I can't seem to get it done right. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

Is Word or Publisher best for posting a book to the web?
I am preparing a genealogy book for the web. The book has many pictures and is also text intensive. Which is best for posting to the web? What do you mean "posting"...for downloading? for viewing? "Marie Peer" <Marie Peer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C38165D-FAEF-4C53-B312-9E99C74BE693@microsoft.com... |I am preparing a genealogy book for the web. The book has many pictures and | is also text intensive. Which is best for posting to the web? I'm such a novice! I've not thought about that. If allowing both is not terrificall...

Excel 2003 and Time Formats
So, I just upgrade my OS to Windows 7. I have a spreadsheet that does time calculations from time to hours. It has worked flawlessly for years, and even for the first day I had Windows 7... in the same spreadsheet. Now it doesn't seem to recognize the 12:00 AM format and it's being interpreted as text, not time anymore. When I reformat the cell so that it's a new time format, it's not interpreting any of them anymore.... Is anybody else having this problem? Have you heard/seen this before? Okay, I figured it out... apparently you can't change your OS dat...

O98 continues to run after I Quit
Hi Guys, I do hope you can offer some help with a problem I'm having. When I close Outlook 98 down, if I look in the Task Manager it thinks it's still running and if I should then try and open O98 again (by double-clicking on an icon on my desktop), nothing happens (ie it wont restart). I've found the following article in the knowledge base: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;263530&Product=out98 This seems to fit the bill but it refers to a fix that can be obtained from Microsoft but I've had no joy in obtaining it (the contact system tells me...

Time issues
OK, here is a strange time problem. I will try to make this as clear as I can as it is kind of confusing. For columns, I,J,L,M,N,P and S the format is "Custum" with a property of h:mm;@ Column R is set as currency. In columns I,J,L,M the user enters in time in the 24 hr clock format. (In this case, 23:58, 23:59, 00:05 and 00:11) The formula in Column 'N' is =SUM(M12-I12) If I enter in 1:58, 1:59, 2:05 and 2:11 (respectivly) column 'N' reads 0:13 as that is the time difference between M and I With the times I first said, 'N' reads ############# AN...

Font book fonts into Word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel My mac has this nifty little application called Font Book, and in there is a font I would like to use for an assignment I'm working on. However it's not in Word currently. I would like to know how to get this font (Kozuka Mincho and Kozuka Gothic) into Word so I can use it I've seen the fonts in question on Windows 7 Word documents, and frequently use it, but they just don't appear in Office on my mac...but they're on the computer under Font Book. I'd just like to know how to make it av...

Excel Quit opening
For some reason when I go to ope a spreadsheet from an application or when an application asks if I want export to csv, it will launch Excel, but will not populate the spreadsheet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Louis@mindiq.com ...

Date as Words
I have to print out certificates with the date printed as words i.e. the twenty-second day of February two thousand and four. Is there anyway to get the software to print dates in this fashion? Hi there're some macros/procedures to convert numbers to text. e.g. MS Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;213360 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;140704& Free Addin MOREFUNC-DLL which includes a UDF for this task (for various languages): http://longre.free.fr/english/ or have a look at http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/zipfile...

Exporting from Acces to Word
I keep track of my Client information in an access table which I would like to export to word. However, I only want to export the name of contact, name of company, address, and phone. I also only want to export these items to particular locations within the word document. For instance, I want to write a letter to "Contact A" of "Company A" at "Address A". So I need these items to be auto filled in at the appropriate spots with my letter. I also would only like to export one contact at a time since these letters would not be form letters. I have tried ...

Category Axis Area in Bar Chart Cuts Words Apart on Wordwrap
I have a bar chart in Excel 2000, and I need to fit a lot of Data into a small chart area. Currently, the data is being displayed properly, but the Category Axis Labels are being wordwrapped and when this happens, it just cuts a word in half. For instance, one label is 'Professional' and it gets displayed as the following: 'Professio' 'nal' Any suggestions at how to control this so that it doesn't happen would be much appreciated. Thanks. Viper To help control where the labels break, you can add line breaks in the label cells on the worksheet. For exam...

The Office 2008 for Mac Product Registration takes forever
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel After I reinstalled the OS system of my MacBook Pro, I reinstalled the Office 2008 for Mac by using the wrong product key (which has been used on another MacBook). So after couple times of using the Word, the notebook said I could not open the Word file again cause the registration has been used by another computer. Then, I started to uninstall the Office and then reinstall it again by following the mactopia instructions, of course, using the product key I first time applied on this MacBook Pro. However, when I tried to ...

Help. I just saved a Word document and I need to cancel it.How?
I am a new Office 7 person. I have not learned how to use it. I saved a download file to Word by accident when it should have gone to desktop. How do I cancel this document in Word? On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 19:25:01 -0800, LearningtouseWord <LearningtouseWord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am a new Office 7 person. I have not learned how to use it. I saved a >download file >to Word by accident when it should have gone to desktop. How do I cancel this >document in Word? There is no such thing as "canceling" a Word document. Use the "My Computer...

Word 2008 doesn't open word 2004 docs properly
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I'm using Word mac 2008 (12.2.4) on an macbook running OSX 10.6.3. I'd like to open some Word documents created in Word mac 2004. When I double click on the document it opens but all the words are blanck. It looks like the words are there but there is nothing written. <br><br>Any advice will be appreciated. I have some ideas but you totally baffle me when you write: "It looks like the words are there but there is nothing written." Is there any visible content or not? If so,...

Microsoft Outlook/Word AutoCorrect File Errors
Microsoft Outlook/Word AutoCorrect File Errors Upon opening Microsoft Outlook and Word, I get the following AutoCorrect file errors. “Your AutoCorrect file, symbolsMSO1033.acl, could not be saved. The file may be read-only, or you may not have permission to modify the file.” I click the “OK” button and receive the following message. “Your AutoCorrect file, FICE12\1033\MSO.ACLMSO1033.acl, could not be saved. The file may be read-only, or you may not have permission to modify the file.” I click the “OK” button. If I close the Outlook or Word apps., I get the following m...