Publishing Layout and tables

Version: 2008

I am trying to copy and paste text from one cell of a table to another cell in the same table.  The document is in Publishing Layout.  The paste command   deletes the text in the destination cell and then places a big empty text box on top of the table.  I do dozens of these documents that are primarily tables and graphics.  Previously I used Publisher on my old PC.  Should I go back, or can this be done in Word for the mac?
0
Toni_T

Hello,

On 2010.01.29 8:44 AM, in article 59bb1ce2.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Toni_T@officeformac.com" <Toni_T@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I am trying to
> copy and paste text from one cell of a table to another cell in the same
> table.  The document is in Publishing Layout.  The paste command   deletes the
> text in the destination cell and then places a big empty text box on top of
> the table.  I do dozens of these documents that are primarily tables and
> graphics.  Previously I used Publisher on my old PC.  Should I go back, or can
> this be done in Word for the mac?

What happens when you do the following?

1. In Publishing Layout, click on the Quick Tables button
  and insert a Quick Table.
2. Type some random characters into each cell, until the table is full.
3. Select the text in any cell, copy it using Command+C, click inside
  a different cell, and then paste using Command+V.

Quite honestly, it seems to work fine for me using this method.
I do see the Paste Options icon when I paste text, but regardless
of what format I choose, it seems to work fine.

Does the table you are working with contain other objects such as
graphics? There may be some issues with text wrapping of
graphic objects in table cells that are causing the apparent glitch.

Let us know more details and we'll be happy to help.

Jeff Chapman

0
Jeff
1/29/2010 12:50:45 AM
Jeff has taken the initiative here so don't mean to interfere with any of
what he's offering. I just want to interject the obvious -- which may not be
quite as obvious as it should be :-)

Publishing Layout View is a 'nice' convenience for someone who wants to be
able to put out an attractive newsletter, brochure, etc. by simply using one
of the templates & filling in the blanks. Beneath the veneer, however, the
underlying structure of the file is still the same as a standard Word
document, which is not that of a desktop publishing file. It is far more
complex than it looks, and without a thorough understanding of that
complexity alterations are a recipe for frustration. IOW, Pub Layout is a
View, not a separate page layout program "hidden" within Word.

IMHO, If your work is page layout oriented you'd be better off to use a
program designed to deliver those capabilities rather than one that merely
gives the impression of having them. The more extensively you attempt to
modify a Pub Layout document the more problematic it will become.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/28/10 6:44 PM, in article 59bb1ce2.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Toni_T@officeformac.com" <Toni_T@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I am trying to
> copy and paste text from one cell of a table to another cell in the same
> table.  The document is in Publishing Layout.  The paste command   deletes the
> text in the destination cell and then places a big empty text box on top of
> the table.  I do dozens of these documents that are primarily tables and
> graphics.  Previously I used Publisher on my old PC.  Should I go back, or can
> this be done in Word for the mac?

0
CyberTaz

Memo Field Truncates my Data in Table?!
Ok - from what I understand a "MEMO" field type should allow at least 65k worth of data to be saved in your database table. However, I am manually opening my table and typing in text that is a half a dozen sentences and when I hit enter to move onto the next field - it truncates my data. I go back to the field in the table and only 255 characters exists. Can someone please explain wtf is going on here? Yes, I'm absolutely certain in database design the "MEMO" type is selected. This does not make sense to me, and I'm not very familiar with access(I'm a ...

Publishing to the web through Publisher

publisher #74

How do I change column widths within idividual tables on the same.
I'm using xl 2000. I want to place several tables on the same worksheet. Is it possible to change column widths of a table without affecting the column width of the other tables. Hi! If the tables are one on top of the other, no. Both column width and row height are constant for the entire column or row. A possible workaround would be to merge cells but that has disadvantages. Biff >-----Original Message----- >I'm using xl 2000. I want to place several tables on the same worksheet. Is >it possible to change column widths of a table without affecting the column...

Multiple Pivot Tables with single Page Field
I've got two pivot tables on a sheet, one showing the selected week' totals, and the other showing the month's totals. I want to link thes two tables to update automatically--if someone selects the week o 4/24/2005, then I want the other table to automatically select Apri 2005. What's the trick to doing this? thanks! Crai -- cscribne ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cscribner's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2366 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37409 You ...

Installing Publisher 2003 gives an error

Sending Publisher Files

Publisher 2000 #23

Pivot table hierarchical dimension expansion
Hi, I use Excel 2007 pivot tables to extract data from a MS Analysis Server OLAP cube, which works perfectly fine. This OLAP cube has a hierarchical date dimension specified: Year - Quarter - Month. Earlier this week I setup a pivot table in which I compared full year 2007 versus Q1-Q3 2008, without expanding this date dimension to its quarters. Only the years were shown. Expansion to quarters and subsequent collapse to years, did keep the selection of the first three quarters in tact. A few days later I connected to exactly the same OLAP cube data source, without any alterations being made...

Publisher 2003

upgrade publisher

Microsoft Publisher ?

Why is publisher newsletter not page wide when sent
When I am working on my email newsletter it is page wide. When I send it it is about 4" wide. I want it to be page wide when it is sent to a client. What do I need to do? What do you call "page wide"? If you had started with the email template, you would not have width issues. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Donna McDermed" <DonnaMcDermed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5974DDA0-2E2D-4495-A5EB-FBF8F543482B@microsoft.com... > When I am working on my email newsletter it is page wide. When I send it > it > is abo...

Pivot Table and Zeros #2
The cell has a value of zero, it's not blank. The value is coming from a formula that equals 0 Tk -- mense2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mense23's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=717 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26957 Hi you may change your formula to return only "" -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "mense23" <mense23.1e6dhy@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:mense23.1e6dhy@excelforum-nospam.com... > > ...

Publisher for MAC
I would like to be able to use some of the publisher features on my MACBOOK PRO, but have been unable to locate the software, I waited for Office 2008 for Mac and it wasn't there :( when are you going to have it available for we mac afficianado's? -- If you try it you can be sure if you don''t like it, if you don''t try it your assuming. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see t...

Help Publishing Custom Form
I have published a custom task form to my Organizational Forms Library following the instructions here: http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=34. It works great, and now I have 2 quick questions regarding selecting the published forms: 1. Can I make the forms available by selecting the NEW menu, so I don't have to choose the form, and then browse to find it? I would like be able to select New and have it show my custom form there AND the default task form for that folder. 2. If not, I think I am supposed to be able to highlight the task folder, then select the ACTION menu and see ...

Message box if date is already in a table
Hello. I have a problem, and was wondering if anyone could help? I have a table whereby a date is added at the start of a process, to show that the process has already been done for this date. Is it possible to have in a macro a function that says "If the date is in this table, then bring up an error message box and halt the process. If the date is not in the table then continue with the process (macro)" Thanks in advance AJ Can you describe the process a little more? It is probably possible to do in VBA, but can't say for sure without more information. ...

convert Publisher document to Word
I created name tags in Publisher and want to convert them to a Word document so I and type a different name on each tag. I did it once and can't remember how - have tried saving the Publisher file as a Word file, but it only saves the text, not the formatting. Help! Hi Paula (pkrantz@thediscoveryalliance.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || I created name tags in Publisher and want to convert them || to a Word document so I and type a different name on each || tag. I did it once and can't remember how - have tried || saving the Publisher file as a Word file, but it...

How do I get upgarde for publisher 98 to 2000 ?
I have set up the publisher 98 but I have installed in office 2000 on my pc. My system is run win xp so now microsoft update office 2000 SR-1 ...so what shall I do then . aknz2004 wrote: >I have set up the publisher 98 but I have installed in > office 2000 on my pc. My system is run win xp so now > microsoft update office 2000 SR-1 ...so what shall I do > then . ======================================= If you want Publisher 2000, you'll have to purchase a copy of the program. You cannot upgrade Pub98 to Pub2000...they are two separate programs. -- John Inzer return e-mail...

Can GETPIVOTDATA refer to the pivot table name?
Is there any way to use the pivot table name (from the table options dialog)? I want to make my report more maintainable and robust ie If I could say GETPIVOTDATA("Key","Maths Exam",.....) it would be more readable than GETPIVOTDATA("Key",Pivot!$e$4,......) Thanks in advance for any assistance. GB You can't refer to the pivot table by name, but you could name a cell in the pivot table, and refer to that name. For example, name cell E4 as Math_Top and the formula would be: GETPIVOTDATA("Key",Math_Top,.....) Green Biro wrote: > Is th...

Publisher 2000 Publish error
Hi, I'm working with someone using Publisher 2000 who has added an FTP site and over a dial up connection tries to publish. He proceeds and then gets an error as transfer seems to be attempted: "Publisher could not save the file to the web. Please check URL or network address." He is saving as a web page and then trying to upload with appropriate credentials. I've asked that anti-virus (McAfee) and win XP firewall be off as well as a web accelerator but the error persists. I've Googled the error and have found scant information. Any help is appreciated. Try the fo...

2003 publisher w/XP and 2007 publisher w/Vista
I have numerous publisher files in XP that I'm emailing to have opened in Vista. Although the file can be opened the text is scrambled. Any ideas? Were the files created with standard fonts? Maybe your recipient doesn't have the font you used on their computer. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "JULIEW" <JULIEW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3CE85845-A3C2-4A00-80D7-81E27126C8B5@microsoft.com... >I have numerous publisher files in XP that I'm emailing to have opened in > Vista. Although the file can be opened the text is scrambled. ...