Poor quality of photos inserted as files

Version: v.X
Processor: Intel

I have had an ongoing problem with random poor quality of photos inserted into Word documents as files.  The photos appear normal in the document on the display, but half of the time when they are printed, they look like they have a resolution of 50 dpi.  This problem has occurred using several different printers, both laser and ink jet.  The problem does not appear consistently.  I have tried to massage the photos with Photoshop Elements but that has no effect.  I end up having to print the photo pages in the documents from a PC running XP, and they always print fine.  Any ideas?
0
WhiskyTangoFoxtrot

This is a pain.  :-)

In Photoshop (or iPhoto, or whatever...) first crop the picture to show only
what you want to see, then re-sample it to the size you want it to print,
and to 300 dpi.

For normal printing, you will find you can get away with 150 dpi, and the
picture will be a quarter the size if you do.

If it's a photo, save it as JPG, if it's a drawing save it as .PNG.  The JPG
removes detail to preserve colour, the PNG preserves detail at the expense
of colour.

Now use Insert>Picture>From file to put the prepared picture into Word.

It will print fine, every time.  Pasting pictures into Word is best avoided,
as is attempting to alter the picture once you get it into the document.
Even dragging it around to position it is likely to fuzz it up.

Yeah, I know, it should work.  But sometimes, it doesn't.  Use
Insert>Picture... And it will work always...

Cheers

On 17/03/10 1:27 PM, in article 59bb55f8.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"WhiskyTangoFoxtrot@officeformac.com" <WhiskyTangoFoxtrot@officeformac.com>
wrote:

> Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have
> had an ongoing problem with random poor quality of photos inserted into Word
> documents as files.  The photos appear normal in the document on the display,
> but half of the time when they are printed, they look like they have a
> resolution of 50 dpi.  This problem has occurred using several different
> printers, both laser and ink jet.  The problem does not appear consistently.
> I have tried to massage the photos with Photoshop Elements but that has no
> effect.  I end up having to print the photo pages in the documents from a PC
> running XP, and they always print fine.  Any ideas?

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
3/17/2010 7:14:39 AM
> This is a pain.  :-) <br>
> In Photoshop (or iPhoto, or whatever...) first crop the picture to show only <br>
> what you want to see, then re-sample it to the size you want it to print, <br>
> and to 300 dpi. <br>
> For normal printing, you will find you can get away with 150 dpi, and the <br>
> picture will be a quarter the size if you do. <br>
> If it's a photo, save it as JPG, if it's a drawing save it as .PNG.  The JPG <br>
> removes detail to preserve colour, the PNG preserves detail at the expense <br>
> of colour. <br>
> Now use Insert>Picture>From file to put the prepared picture into Word. <br>
> It will print fine, every time.  Pasting pictures into Word is best avoided, <br>
> as is attempting to alter the picture once you get it into the document. <br>
> Even dragging it around to position it is likely to fuzz it up. <br>
> Yeah, I know, it should work.  But sometimes, it doesn't.  Use <br>
> Insert>Picture... And it will work always... <br>
> Cheers <br>
> On 17/03/10 1:27 PM, in article 59bb55f8.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;WhiskyTangoFoxtrot@officeformac.com&quot;  <br>
> wrote: <br>
> > Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have <br>
> > had an ongoing problem with random poor quality of photos inserted into Word <br>
> > documents as files.  The photos appear normal in the document on the display, <br>
> > but half of the time when they are printed, they look like they have a <br>
> > resolution of 50 dpi.  This problem has occurred using several different <br>
> > printers, both laser and ink jet.  The problem does not appear consistently. <br>
> > I have tried to massage the photos with Photoshop Elements but that has no <br>
> > effect.  I end up having to print the photo pages in the documents from a PC <br>
> > running XP, and they always print fine.  Any ideas? <br>
>  -- <br>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay! <br>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer, <br>
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd <br>
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name <br>
0
WhiskyTangoFoxtrot

Photo Merge
I'm trying to get a photo to merge into a newsletter. I've crawled all over these posts and the online help and still have no idea why I'm not getting the pictures to display from the files. I've tried several different ways and am not sure what the problem is. The only way I've been able to make this work is liking to pictures on a web page. While this works for a solution it is far from the best option. This will be an assignment for future teachers on how to construct newslettter for their classrooms. There are lots of issues with posting the 'student...

Template files don't work
I have template files in my office11\xlstart folder, but when i click NEW and select templates on my computer, the templates won't open. Try putting them in your template folder. For me (xl2003/winXP home), it's: C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\ You can double check yours by: start excel hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window. Type this: ?application.TemplatesPath and hit enter. Ken wrote: > > I have template files in my office11\xlstart folder, but when i click NEW and > select templates on my comp...

i have a file with 50 worksheets, how can I print these names
I have a file that has 50 worksheets, I am trying to print the names of the worksheets so that I can incorporate into a new file. I made some changes to the new file and we added about 20 new sheets to the old file so I am looking for a way to print these names as opposed to writing them all out. I thank you in advance for your assistance and consideration. CRF try sub listsheets() for i=1 to worksheets.count cells(i,1)=sheets(i).name next i end sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "chris felix" <chris fe...

Get file size via WebRequest
I need to scan a large number of web-resident files, primarily to get file size. IOW, a simple operation. Can anyone provide the benefit of their intuition on how to set the timeout, and how many retries to attempt? Currently I have the WebRequest timeout set for 2 seconds, and if the request times out, I loop back and try again. So just 2 tries. Not sure if that's optimal. I realize that this is arbitrary, but the files reside on various places on the net, so it's impossible to profile in advance. I'm sure that someone else has done something similar though, and may h...

How do I insert a clip art picture into a text box in word 2003
Trying to insert a picture into a text box in Word 2003 with very little success. Using Word as some students in the community do not have access to Publisher. Trying to create 4 invitations to a page. Want to use a text box to include text and graphics and then copy and paste four times. Help. Hi Lindas you'ld be better of posting to microsoft.public.word.newusers rather than an excel newsgroup personally, i would use a 2x2 (or 1x4) table in word for this rather than text boxes. Cheers JulieD "Lindas" <Lindas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

insert rows after count
Query shows 5 years of data for various accounts. Some accounts may not have 5 years of data however I want rows added with the year that doesn't have activity that shows year and group number. Each yr is listed in a row with a group number that is the same for each year. This info will be exported into Excel template where graphs will be made on each group of data. This way I won't have to create multiple graphs each update nor format graphs based on number of years imported. This can be handled with a LEFT join. However, we will need to know the details of your table...

How to print title list of all files in a Word sub-directory?
I have a Word sub-directory containing 370 files. I would like to print out a list of the file titles. SteveV There are a couple of different ways to do this. My favorite is to use an Excel add-in called ASAP Utilities. One of the commands will populate a spreadsheet with the file name, path, folder, file size, etc and even make them a hyperlink. It is so simple plus the add-in has *scads* of can't-live-without commands! -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "SteveV" <SteveV@discus...

Insert Blank Row
Is there a formula that will let you insert a blank row or skip n rows? I know it can be done in VBA but i suck at vba so i dont want to go down that path. -- Vlad999 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Vlad999's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33586 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=533972 formulas can't do that. Only return values, etc try recording a macro. You'll like it. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Vlad999" <Vlad999...

How do you force ypur app to try to open files of any extension?
I have an MFC app that opens files with .jpg and .tif extensions. Those extensions are defined in the string table as so: IDR_DCSTIFTYPE "\nDCS TIFF\nDCS TIFF File\nDCS TIFF Files (*.tif)\n.tif\nDCSTIFFFile\nDCS TIFF File" IDR_DCSJPEGTYPE "\nArchive\nDCS JPEG File\nDCS JPEG Files (*.jpg)\n.jpg\nDCSJPEGFile\nDCS JPEG File" These strings are registered with my program like this: m_ptTemplate_TIF_Preview = new CMultiDocTemplate( IDR_DCSTIFTYPE, RUNTIME_CLASS(CPreviewDoc), RUNTIME_CLASS(CChildFrame), // custom MDI child frame RUNTIME_CLASS(CPDPreviewVi...

Vector PowerPoint OLE Items Display Poorly
I've used PowerPoint slides in my Access databases to display relatively simple vector graphics for quite some time. However, recently, the quality of the graphics has seriously degraded. Specifically, what used to be a smooth line, circle, oval, or whatever, now displays as several jagged steps. It's as if the points used to represent the vector element are being rounded to some nearest value causing a loss of quality in the drawing. The details of what I'm doing is as follows: OS: Windows XP Professional Software: Access 2003 and PowerPoint 2003 Table: Three fields, I...

Insert Formula and Copy to other cells
Hello, I need help fast! I need to be able to insert a Formula into rows that contain certain text. I then need to be able to copy all this formula across 15 columns and down to the end of the active workbook for each row that contains this criteria. I want the formula to automatically update to the correct cell reference. My formula is rather lengthy but it works perfectly in a 'normal' spreadsheet without running a macro. This is what I have: Dim intx as Integer Dim lngrow as long ActiveCell.SpecialCells(xlLastCell).Select lngrow = ActiveCell.Row 'lastcell in spreadsheet ...

File clutter
I'm working on a friend's laptop which seems to have an awful lot of space taken up with files whose value I don't recognise. I'm using the neat "Treesize" utility to give me a breakdown. The following folders seem particularly bloated - I'd be really grateful for any guidance: C:\Windows\winsxs (12.4 GB) C:\SwSetup (1.6 GB) C:\ProgramData\Apple\Installer Cache (0.7 GB) I've cleared out the various Temp folders (before moving on to the stacks of user data!) but I'd be glad to know if I can delete some or any of the above. Thanks!...

Inserting Attachment as Shortcut
In Office 97 you could select the way you want to Insert an Attachment. In Office 2003 the Insert Attachment as Shortcut option has been removed. Any ideas on how to Customize this option so that it will work in 2003. I don't want to insert the link I think you need this. 1. Click on Attachments 2. Select Attachment File (Don't Double click) 3. Click on Small Arrow on Right of Insert Button 4. Select Insert as HyperLink Best Regards, Luqman "stewartd" <stewartd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F0464305-F181-4781-A0AC-CE1919335339@microsoft.com...

how do i insert a radio button?
I hav writtne a survey in word and I would like to insert a "radio button" which can be clicked on tohighloight the preferred answer I take it from this that you have a raft of multiple choice questions? Do you want a button for each question, or do you want a button for each possible answer. If the latter, when do you want the button to highlight the correct answer? Will you be able to ensure that users will allow the essential macros to run? -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<...

Retreiving Money File
My Money 2007 file was up-to-date at the beginning of the week. I went to look for it and could not find the updated version. How can I retrieve the latest file? There are several old Money files but they are not up-to-date. I think what happened was the the new file got updated by the old file. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help. Are you using Vista? Is your file stored somewhere besides your c:\users\[username]\...? There may well be no way to "retrieve" the latest file if you answered yes to both of the above questions. "melizabeth" <elizabet98_...

How to insert text into a cell
I have a sheet full of dates exported from an accounting software package. The dates are in the following format yyyymmdd as in 19810305 for March 5, 1981. What I need to do is change the look of the cell from 19810305 to 03/05/1981. Can someone help me with this. P.S. I tried to format the cells as a date but it just gives me a bunch of #### crap. Thanks BEN Hi Benjamin One way, with your date value in A1 would be =DATE(LEFT(A1,4),MID(A1,5,2),RIGHT(A1,2)) Change reference accordingly and copy down the sheet. -- Regards Roger Govier "Benjamin Riley" <Benjamin Riley@di...

file sharing problem
I am implementing a SBS Server 2008 R2 network and am having difficulty allowing another user to view files on an XP3 client. The XP client's primary user files are being redirected to the server. I need to have another person get full access to the primary users files. Using SBS console I have given the second user standard access to the client PC, co-owner status and full control on the primary user's redirected folder, and even setup file sharing on the client PC for the second user. However, when the second user logs on to the client PC, the primary user's My Docs...

Blocking attached files in Outlook 2003
I've just installed Outlook 2003 at home. When I received a mail with an .exe file attached the Outlook blocked the file as it may be unsafe. Apparently the access to the list of blocked files is blocked. As it is not always possible to ask people to send .exe files in a .zip format or change their name how can I permit .exe file to download (either automatically or by manual permission) to my Inbox? See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Devel...

slideshow feature in Windows Media Center; problems with photos
I have an older laptop with windows media center version = vista 6.0.6000.21119. The OS is Windows Vista Home Premium. I am having a problem with the slideshow feature within Media Center. It is including unexpected files in the slideshow when I am only expecting it to show the family photos that we have identified in the appropriate subdirectory via the library setup. I'm not sure where these files are being pulled from - some appear to be game and/or movie files from either the desktop or the harddrive. I've tried resetting all of the options in the media center s...

Post to GL vs Post Through GL Files
Ok.....a stupid question here. What exactly is the difference is having the boxes checked to Post to GL and Post Through GL Files? Is there any problem with having one vs the other or both of them checked? I would assume that not having the Post Through GL will require you to post each batch to the GL. I am surprised that you can have both boxes checked. In that instance, I am uncertain what would happen. Normally, you would have only one of the boxes checked. (You could also have none of the boxes checked if you don't want to post to the GL. For example, you might unmark these s...

can anyone tell me how to rescue a file I saved over?
I worked on a document this morning and when I went to open it a box came up asking me if I wanted to replace the document with my blank doc scrren that I opened and I accidentally pressed yes and lost all my work. I went into rescue and there was no other version, Is there any hope I can still get my earlier document? There is very little chance of recovering the file, however you *may* be able to recover previously saved versions with file recovery software run from removable media, but the more you use your PC in the interim the less chance you have of recovery. -- <...

Forward email as insert from button
Hi all, I usually code in Access, so am familiar with VBA, but have a request to code a button to forward the open item (button is on the email item, not on the Outlook toolbar) to forward the item as if a new email had been created, and the open item had been inserted from the Inbox list. I have placed the button and coded a simple forward, but no luck otherwise. I have searched the Object Browser and have not come up with anything obvious. Thanks for you help What's the difference between what you want to do and simply pressing the Forward button on an open em...

How can I put photos in Microsoft Access Form
I used the information BobLarson said in putting photos in Microsoft Access Form but it's not working. My computer keeps asking for Form1, which I deleted because nothing was happening the way I wanted it to. What I would like to know is there a online video that can show how you can do this procedure. And how can I get my computer stop asking for Form1. "Helen" <Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E015B36-D605-428D-9275-C95DAC1DC3AE@microsoft.com... >I used the information BobLarson said in putting photos in Microsoft Access > For...

OT: PE file format question
I know this is off topic but I hope someone can at least send me somewhere I can get this question answered. I am mucking with an executible file. I have change the .rsrc section and I am fixing up all the RVAs in the sections that follow and in the headers. There is still some problem however. The document that I have that talks about the PE file format says there are RVAs in the .reloc section. I don't see any. It looks like the offsets are relative the the beginning of the code. So I'm somewhat confused. I'm guessing there are still some RVAs somewhere that need to be ad...

*.pst files
Hello, I used to transport my *.pst (Personal Folders) file from one computer to another. All I had to do (in non-XP versions of Outlook) was point Outlook to my *.pst file and all of my existing e-mail (deleted, sent, inbox, etc.) would appear. I have done this with Outlook 2000 using the new "New Outlook Data File..." process. None of my old e-mail shows up. What gives? Thanks in advance... Has Outlook 2000 already created a new .PST file? If so, close Outlook, rename the new file to outlook.old, then reopen Outlook. It will complain that it can't find your .PST ...