Paragraph spacing print is different that screen view

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

0
David_Presson

Confirm 12.2.4 update level for Office 2008
Confirm 10.6.3 update level for OS X
Check the mfr's site for an updated printer driver.

What you see is what Word sends to the printer... What the printer does with
it is out of Word's control :-) Once you've tended to the above check the
printer quality setting if you're still experiencing the problem.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/15/10 9:47 AM, in article 59bb6fa1.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"David_Presson@officeformac.com" <David_Presson@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I was certain that Mac:Word was WYSIWYG, until now!
>
> The line spacing (paragraph spacing) is different on my printout than on the
> screen.
>
> I use a special paragraph spacing to write songs with guitar chords to bring
> the chords closer to the text with space above the chords. The text of the
> song is one a single line with a paragraph marker - it has a unique style. The
> line above is for the guitar chords with its own style that add space above
> (for separation from the line above that and line spacing of multiple = .45.
> This causes those two (chords and text below) to come closer together.
>
> On the screen it looks the way I desire, but when I print there is a great
> separation between the chords and the song text, with the chords moving almost
> into the line of song text above. The wrong way!

0
CyberTaz
4/15/2010 10:02:43 PM
Hi David:

In addition to what Bob says, you need to check that you are using the
correct driver for your printer.  What Word shows you on screen is being
built with the measurements it is obtaining from the printer driver: if the
driver is wrong, Word has no idea how the printout will look.

Word has two screen displays:

*  View>Print Layout is 99 per cent WYSIWYG.

*  File>Print Preview is, as Bob says, the image coming back to Word from
your printer driver.  Word hands off the document to the Operating System.
The OS "prints" it, and hands the data stream back to Word to show on the
screen.  It is 99.99 per cent WYSIWYG.

There are some things in Word>Preferences>Compatibility that will have a
dramatic effect on how the document renders on the screen.  Set them all to
the default settings ("Recommended options for Word 2007-2008") so you have
the best chance of a good result.

And in Format>Paragraph the checkbox "Don't add space between paragraphs of
the same style" can result in an uncontrollable document that is very
difficult to fix.

Hope this helps

On 15/04/10 11:47 PM, in article 59bb6fa1.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"David_Presson@officeformac.com" <David_Presson@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I was certain that Mac:Word was WYSIWYG, until now!
>
> The line spacing (paragraph spacing) is different on my printout than on the
> screen.
>
> I use a special paragraph spacing to write songs with guitar chords to bring
> the chords closer to the text with space above the chords. The text of the
> song is one a single line with a paragraph marker - it has a unique style. The
> line above is for the guitar chords with its own style that add space above
> (for separation from the line above that and line spacing of multiple = .45.
> This causes those two (chords and text below) to come closer together.
>
> On the screen it looks the way I desire, but when I print there is a great
> separation between the chords and the song text, with the chords moving almost
> into the line of song text above. The wrong way!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
4/16/2010 12:38:50 AM
0
David_Presson
4/16/2010 1:23:15 AM
Yeah, well you haven't given me enough information to diagnose the problem
for you, so I am afraid I will have to leave you with it.

This is not a problem that can be caused by Word: now that you say the
"error" is present in Print Preview, that indicates that it's in your
document somewhere.

Nothing in a Word update changes anything in your document, so you need to
incorrect spacing is coming from.

I didn't say the printer drivers were out of date: I said they might be
"wrong"  :-)  If the driver is returning the wrong measurements for that
printer, then Word will display and print the wrong spacing, no matter how
up-to-date it is.

Cheers

On 16/04/10 11:23 AM, in article 59bb6fa1.2@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"David_Presson@officeformac.com" <David_Presson@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Yes John, I have the current updates of Mac:Office. That is actually when the
> trouble began. My docs with songs and the special line spacing worked well in
> the pervious version (before the latest update).
>
> This is true on all five printers I've tried. All those printer drivers at
> up-to-date!
>
> I have a hard time placing the 'blame' on the printer drive(s).
>
> BTW - the error is also present in Print Preview and when I create PDFs from
> Mac:Word.
>
> BUT when I open the same file in Windows:Word it looks correct on the screen
> and prints correctly.

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John

a space on the end of an number
I imported some numbers into a column find that I can not do any mathmatical functions with those numbers. I noticed that their was a Space at the end of each number and if I deleted that space, then I could work mathmatically with that number in the cell. So I did a search and replace in the column and the search would not find the space at the end of the number.. 1) How can i get rid of the space- 2) or how can I quickly convert the column to a number column? Thanks Brent See reply to your previous thread, which is to install and use TrimAll marco found at http://www.mvps.org/dm...

Printing ORG chart
Hello. I have just created my first excel org chart. WOW- i am boggeled. It is a large org chart. When I started creating it the chart kept getting smaller because of my margins so i expanded them. Now I am finished. I need to print. The org chart actually starts in colum BT line 88 and ends in column DA line 167. Excel says it's 98 pages long but that's because of the page breaks. When I try adjusting the page breaks the chart gets to little to view. I would like the chart to print on one page which should be possible. I am trying to move the chart to column a line 1 so I can...

Print workbook macro w/o first sheets....
I need to print a workbook with a variable number of worksheets. However, I don't need the first 3 worksheets of the book. It also needs to be collated. I need to create a macro or VB loop to make it automatic from a command button. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Josh ...

my gridlines do not print even tho I have chosen print gridlines
I am trying to print a spreadsheet with gridlines. I have chosen the border and chose print gridlines in the page set up. My spreadsheet prints without any borders or gridlines. What am I doing wrong? If I send that spreadsheet to another computer it prints with all the lines. Usual cause for this is that Page Setup>Sheet>"Draft Quality" is checked. Uncheck and see results. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:29:04 -0700, "sandys5" <sandys5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to print a spreadsheet with gridlines. I have chosen...

Printing postcards in Publisher?
can I print four different pictures on one postcard sheet? Sure, setup your page landscape in page setup. In the Arrange menu, set your margins, grid guides tab, 2 rows, 2 columns. It would be helpful to include spacing. If you set your margins for .5, type 1 inch in the spacing. Check the "add center guide." This will guarantee centered postcards. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "mpaula" <mpaula@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

auto fill in with different contact lists
I have OL2k7. My company has a "global" contact list with contacts for all employees. I also have my personal contact list of family, friends and personal business contacts. when i start a new mail, and in the To: field when i start typing a name, it will auto fill an address. what i want is it for it to default to my local contats first. i.e. i want 'Dad' to be an email to my father, not "Dadson, John" (not a real name, but you get the point) in my personal contacts my dad has his first/last name, but the display name is "Dad" how d...

Query and view multiple projects
Assuming that I've defined a user field (text1) as "Task Type"... Can a user assigned to the executive group (or any group for that matter) perform a query/grouping like: Show me all projects where Task Type="foo" and start date is between 01/25/10 and 01/30/10. Pete H Pete, Yes and No... 1st, the task text1 field will need to be an Enterprise Text Field, and this field will need to be added to the OLAP cube. If the task has work on it, then you could at least show the start date of the task, and from that you could get the list of projects. Ano...

MsgBox with number of paragraphs formatted with a user-defined paragraph style
Dear Experts: I would like to loop thru all paragraphs and check how many paragraphs have been formatted with a specific user-defined paragraph style (say user-defined-style-1). A Msg Box is to show me the numbers of paragraphs formatted with this style. Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. Regards, Andreas Something like Dim oSection As Section Dim oPara As Paragraph Dim i As Long i = 0 For Each oSection In ActiveDocument.Sections For Each oPara In oSection.Range.Paragraphs If oPara.Style = "user-defined-style-1" Then i = i + 1 ...

I can't print Excel document on legal size paper even with correc.
I have checked my settings, but I cannot print my worksheet on 8 1/2X14 legal size paper. Can anyone give me suggestions on why this would be happening? I can print documents that are letter size with no problem. I am using Microsoft Office 2003 with Windows XP. Thanks Choose Page Setup from the File drop down menu. Click on the Page tab and change the "Letter" to "Legal" >-----Original Message----- >I have checked my settings, but I cannot print my worksheet on 8 1/2X14 legal >size paper. Can anyone give me suggestions on why this would be happening? I >...

Row count value evaluated against different thresholds.
I humbly ask your expert opinion in an effort to save me countless hours of trial and error. A table exists called 'BandScore' in it are five diff't values. ScoreA = 5 ScoreB = 4 ScoreC = 3 ScoreD = 2 ScoreE = 1 Counting the rows in the 'analyze' table I need to use that value to determine which score gets applied and place that value in a table called 'scores' field called 'gapscore' (until I understand the full process, at which time I can put all of these calcs into one statement, I'm hoping) This score will be derived from the following statement...

printing #3
I can not get my printer to work in excel. I can print everywhere else but in excel. help me Hi Frank! Not enough to go on here. Describe line by line exactly what you do and what you see when you want to print out (say) A1:G100 on Sheet1 Then we might be able to help in tracking the problem. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia Holidays and Observances Tuesday 29th July: Dominican Republic (Father 's Day), Faroe Islands (Olavsoka Day), Haiti (Maitresse Silverine), Norway (St. Olav's Day), Peru (Aymaraes). Observances: Maitresse Silverine (Voudon). njharker@opt...

wordart line spacing
Is there any way to reduce the space between lines of word art text without reducing font size? What version Publisher? WordArt changed from versions 2000 and below when Publisher 2002 was introduced. You could make two separate WordArt objects. You could convert the WordArt to a .wmf, ungroup and edit the spacing. You could download the WordArt compatibility tool and use the old version, insert, object, scroll down to Microsoft WordArt 3.2. You won't have all the options, but the lines will be closer together Publisher 2003/2002 Add-in: WordArt Compatibility http://www.microsoft.co...

Conditional Printing of Certain Fields in A Report
i need to have a conditional printing of some fields (SEE BELOW) VENDOR SHARE $999.99 LESS TAX $999.99 country ENGLAND tax (%) 20% AMT DUE $999.99 how do I print only these 5 lines when the tax amount is not zero. Also how do i combine line 2,3 & 4 and looks like LESS ENGLAND (20%) TAX instead. I tried doing the following: ="LESS" & [COUNTRY] &"(" &[TAX (%)] &")" in the control source but i got a #ERROR error Any help would be appreciated. Kevin T <Kevin T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i need to...

Excel Print Spooling
i have a Laserjet 4 Plus shared out over a network shared to several PC`s. There are around 20 PC's on the network and all machines print to this printer via excel 2002 (office XP) without a problem except for one, which spools jobs far bigger than it is supposed to then prints ok. However on large spreadsheets this causes the printer (HP LJ4+) to give out of memory errors. Does anyone know of any settings which are alterable in excel ? or indeed any other ideas thanks ...

Chart
Have the specific knowledge base instructions. Instructions state to in the chart, select the data series, then via Format menu, Axis tab, click the secondary axis. I can't seem to select the individual data series. It tends to select all the data series and the Axis tab grays out the secondary axis toggle. I have a simple chart requirement total # projects totals $ value of projects need left axis to scale to # projects need right axis to scale to $ value of projects. these data are divergent and doesn't display well in a single y-axis chart. Hi, Here is another way to sele...

Delete hidden spaces in cells
Hello, I've got Excel 2002 SP3. I've got a big spreadsheet of names and addresses that I use as a data source for a mail merge in Word. If I select a cell in the city column in Excel and put the cursor up at the top where you can type or edit the cell contents, the cursor is not immediately to the right of the last character, rather it is a few spaces over to the right as if after the last character in the city name someone hit the spacebar a few times. For example: Instead of seeing Fesno| I see Fresno | This causes a problem when I do the mail merge because the label...

How do I invert a paragraph?
I am printing a "made by" box on the back of a greeting card, and I need to invert it after I type it. How do I do this. The "flip or rotate" on the draw toolbar doesn't work. See http://www.gmayor.com/rotate_text.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><&...

Printing Active Tasks
Does anyone know of a way to print only the active tasks when printing from the Calendar view with the TaskPad turned on in Outlook 2003 on Windows 2000 SP4 ...

Outlook 2007 paragraph spacing, reprise
Hello, Perhaps in response to the earlier outcry, the Outlook 2007 (with Vista Ultimate) that I just installed came with the Normal Style defaulting to 0 space after paragraphs. This meant that, typing a new message into the HTML editor, I had to hit Enter twice in order to have any visible space between my paragraphs. This, then, had the effect of sending my messages with an extra paragraph (nbsp) between each paragraph. Still, it looked okay in Outlook. However, it did not look okay to others, in Gmail and elsewhere. And it did not look okay when echoed back to me in the form of replies. S...

Word paragraph default
I can't seem to be able to change the default paragraph style. i have gone into word options, advanced and selected no spacing as default style. But it doesn't hold. Does anyone know how to fix this? If you are using Word 2007 and you want the look of Word 2003, do the following: Create a new, blank document. On the Home tab, click Change Styles | Style Set | Word 2003. Then click Change Styles | Set as Default. If/when you are prompted to save your Normal template, choose to do so. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "zoriana" <zoriana@discussion...

Simple question
I have an xls sheet that always print 6 copies. When ever I want to print, I have to change it to 1 copy. It's only this one xls sheet. Everything else prints 1 copy like it's suppose to. It's not the printer settings. Like I said, it's just this one xls sheet. Can someone tell me how to make it print 1 copy only and then stay as 1 as the defualt. I have made many changes to the sheet and saved it many times, but it always defaults to 6 copies. Very Strange. Thanks in advance. Phil If maybe as simple as this, as each page can have the page count se individua...

"Print Preview"
My version is Money Deluxe & Business 2002...is there a way to make "Print Preview" functional [not greyed out] when printing the viewed Transactions within the Accounts? -- Ron In microsoft.public.money, Ron wrote: >My version is Money Deluxe & Business 2002...is there a way to make "Print >Preview" functional [not greyed out] when printing the viewed Transactions >within the Accounts? I don't think so. I suggest "printing" to a virtual printer that makes a file. I think PDF995 and CutePDF have free versions. Thanks for the prompt an...

Print Margins
Hi. I am a newbie with Publisher. My problem is that part of my design (on the right side) fails to print, although it is apparently within the dotted pink lines that I understand indicate the appropriate print margins. I have compared the locations of these dotted pink lines with the print margin info in the HP Users Guide for the 932C, and they appear to be correctly placed. I am using Windows XP, Publisher 2002, and a HP Deskjet 932C. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Jim Watkins <jcwatkin@gwi.net>... > part of my design (on th...

Integration Mgr
We are getting a Out of Stack Space error when we run an integration in 8.0. I'm only finding documentation on version 6.0 re: this error. I can't figure out how to do a trace on this issue. It's not even getting past the first document. I thought it may be related to duplicate vendor document numbers but since it's not getting past the first document, it makes me wonder. Any help is greatly appreciated. Hi Jav, Check out Knowledge base article #904610. "jav" wrote: > We are getting a Out of Stack Space error when we run an integration in 8.0. >...

HOW TO FIX A VIEW GLOBALLY
lots of answers but none of them work.. here is the actual solution.. works like a charm.. http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270_11-5243615.html ...