Painfully slow lag times in Newsletter Templates

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

0
wren

Yeah, it's a good idea not to uninstall and re-install Office, because it
usually makes the situation worse by giving you new problems to add to the
old ones.  It can't fix anything, because the files that get broken are not
part of the installation disk.

First go to the Office website and apply all the updates:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx

That may fix your problem.

Make sure you have Track Changes turned OFF and that there are no tracked
changes in the files you are trying to work on: that can slow things down
badly.

It's a good idea not to try to edit newsletter templates: they are difficult
to edit and tend to create very slow documents if you do.

Basically, I don't use those templates because they are too slow and fragile
and difficult to work with.

If your problem is not resolved, come back and we'll work it through
line-by-line until we find it.

Cheers

On 6/06/10 11:33 AM, in article 59bb96f7.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"wren@officeformac.com" <wren@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I'm having a horrible time trying to use the newsletter templates provided in
> Word 2008.  The typing lag time is painfully slow -- such that I can type 3-4
> sentences before it shows the first word.
>
> I've tried to close Toolbox and to work in Print Layout, but no improvement.
> Have also uninstalled and reinstalled Office.
>
> Any tips?

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_
6/6/2010 7:53:08 AM
Ok-- all updates are applied.  But Im afraid we did the uninstall-reinstall attempt already.  We are pretty sure it didn't all come off during the uninstall but that's another story.  So far no change. <br><br>I have been using the template as is --without modifying anything but the text and the photos.  The picture placeholders are flakey too. Sometimes the work and sometimes the are locked, and the coresonding object style menu in the toolbar disappears.  When that happens my only choice is to start a new doc from template and paste it all in.
0
wren
6/6/2010 3:18:53 PM
FWIW, I've come to the conclusion that the sluggishness of Word 2008 is an
ongoing issue although it has been improved since the initial release. As
you've noticed, it is sporadic & difficult to reproduce, so that makes it
very hard to identify any one particular cause. I'm also willing to bet that
the resources of MacBU are devoted to improving performance in Office 2011
so there is very little likelihood that we'll see any significant change in
the current version unless it's inadvertently introduced by another update.

As for the picture placeholders, I've never found one to be 'locked', but my
excursion into them has been limited... And I certainly haven't explored
them all :-) If you'll specify the template by name & indicate exactly which
placeholders appear to be locked I'll try to check further.

Keep in mind that certain elements may be on the Master Page. If so, those
elements cannot be selected/modified/moved/deleted while working on a
document page. If you access the Master Page do those locked objects become
selectable?

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/6/10 11:18 AM, in article 59bb96f7.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"wren@officeformac.com" <wren@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Ok-- all updates are applied.  But Im afraid we did the uninstall-reinstall
> attempt already.  We are pretty sure it didn't all come off during the
> uninstall but that's another story.  So far no change.
>
> I have been using the template as is --without modifying anything but the text
> and the photos.  The picture placeholders are flakey too. Sometimes the work
> and sometimes the are locked, and the coresonding object style menu in the
> toolbar disappears.  When that happens my only choice is to start a new doc
> from template and paste it all in.

0
CyberTaz

Slow to open mail
I recently uninstalled Panda Antivirus and have been having trouble wit Microsoft Outlook ever since. It will start up normally but when I ope email it will tale a minute of more to open. It goes to a white scree first and will sometimes freeze. I have looked for both Spyware an Virus' and found nothing. Thanks in advance for any assistance offere on this matter -- Rick1341Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup acces Rick1341 <Rick1341.1raesg@> wrote: > I recently uninstalled Panda Antivirus and have been having trouble > with Microsoft Outlook ever since. It wil...

Time Help
I have a brain fart I've been working on this for two days now and I know I'm making it to hard. What I need is a formula I doing a time sheet, if I work 160 hours in a month I get 6 hours and 40 minutes of vaction time. So what in need is a formula that caculates if I work lets say 150 hours I get ? hours and ? minutes of vaction. One way: If your total, in time format, is in A1: =A1/TIME(160,0,0)*TIME(6,40,0) or, more efficiently: =A1 * 0.4166666666667 In article <A8C70282-176A-41D1-8315-6B73029B7AEE@microsoft.com>, "Kelly Thompson" <KellyTh...

templates and pulling addresses from a text file
most grateful for any help... I work for a company in which we have three distinct regions - europe, asia, america. we have blanket notifications for three three regions in which we have to send a chain of three e-mails to a unique group of e-mail addresses for each region - a notification, update and resolution. each region has a unique set of e-mail addresses to send this to. the three lists are of around 200 addresses each. i have the e-mail lists in unique text files, separated so that i can cut and paste from notepad and dump the addresses straight into the 'bcc' fi...

Template with macro in Excel 2007
Hello, I have an Excel 2007 template with macro. When a user opens this document and wants to save it, the default format is an Excel document without macro! That's pitty. However, when a user use a Sent document in a email, the format is correct. That seems a bit schizophrenic for me. I have SP1 for Office 2007 installed. I don't want to change an Excel global settins to default format with macro. So, how to enforce Excel 2007 to have default format document with macros when my teplate with macro is opened. Thanks Hi Jirka I report this to MS a few months ago. I hope they ch...

2007 PAINFULLY SLOW sending/receiving POP3 & Hotmail
I have it installed on my home PC with the latest Windows/Office updates. I installed it under the local Administrator account, but I set up a normal restricted user account for myself to use on a daily basis. Only add-in is the Outlook Connector. This is a brand new XP installation, and there's little else on it. I had fatal NTFS corruption on the old, and I got my PST file from backups. I imported it, and it did all the accounts on its own, then I added the Outlook connector for a couple of Hotmail accounts. It's not always painfully slow, sometimes it's perf...

Slow Spreadsheet
We are working with a spreadsheet with +60,000 lines and is very slow when sorting it. It is even slow to open initially. What settings will optimize the use of this sheet? Hi with 60000 lines probably not much you can do. Excel is IMHO not suited for large data volumes (use a database instead) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ANDREW MC" <QWERTY@AOL.COM> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ugIkMjrsEHA.3772@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > We are working with a spreadsheet with +60,000 lines and is very slow when > sorting it. It is even slow to open initially. What settin...

Money 2005 Extremely Slow Start
Once Money opens the file, it consumes 50% of the CPU for 5-6 minutes and then runs fine. I've turned off all the internet features. The file is only about 5MB so that's not huge. What's going on? -- Michael Tough to say exactly. My experience with M05-07 was P*** Poor Performance until I used the "Nuke The Bills" feature added in M07. "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C4B412D-5D3D-4853-955A-D23BD1573200@microsoft.com... > Once Money opens the file, it consumes 50% of the CPU for 5-6 minutes and > then run...

Browsing Emails Painfully Slow
have outlook 2003 on a pc with 2.4 Ghz processor and 1Gb of RAM running off of Raptor HD. So hardware is upto par. Have outlook 2003 with all the updates installed. PST file of about 126Mb. My inbox folder is only about 30 emails so that should not cause any problems. I scanned the pst file with scanpst and some errors were found and repaired but the slowness persists. I disabled my antivirus and that didn't help. I also reinstalled entire office into a different folder and of course reinstalled all the updates afterwards. thanks for any help in advance. ...

Time problem
I would like to create a formula that does the following: A2 - Time from B2 - Time to C2 - Break duration (mins, hours) D2 = A2 - B2 - C2 The problem is that I can't find a way to subtract the duration (C2). "Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to create a formula that does the following: > A2 - Time from > B2 - Time to > C2 - Break duration (mins, hours) > D2 = A2 - B2 - C2 That should be B2 - A2 - C2, assuming that "time from" is start time and "time to" is end time. > The problem is that I can't find ...

You will pass all the exams at 1st attempt No more headaches and worry about spending the time and money to attempt another exam again. You will pass all of your exams, every time www.FreeExamKing.com
You will pass all the exams at 1st attempt No more headaches and worry about spending the time and money to attempt another exam again. You will pass all of your exams, every time www.FreeExamKing.com ...

% pain
I am being silly but is there a way of setting a workshhet so that when I type in 4.9 in a percentage formatted cell it does not appear as 490%? I suppose I could set the cell format to general and type in 4.9% but I am worried that the calculations might not work, excel reading the cell as text. Thanks, Danny rather than typing 4.9 type 0.049 and leave your % format -- ehnt ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ehntd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1586 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthr...

Outlook 2003 Hangs Whilst Downloading Messages First Time Each Day
Hello, Can't remember exactly when this problem started, but it has been going for several weeks now and it is driving me nuts. The problem only occurs the first time I turn on my computer each day, and after about 5 or so minutes it clears itself. The problem is as follows, I start my computer for the first time of the day, then I start Outlook 2003, it logs onto the mail server at my ISP and starts to download the messages, but at some point during the download it will hang and eventually give the following error. Task 'mail.tpg.com.au - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210E)...

Run time error
Good day, I'm getting the -2147352567 (80020009) runtime error when I attempt to access a editable form. Along with the runtime error a message states that the recordset isn't updateable. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks. There are many circumstances that make a recordset not updateable. Here is a link to more information http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-61.html Jeanette Cunningham "WD" <WD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9FBAFD9D-9B51-48B3-97AC-E068555CDFBF@microsoft.com... > Good day, > > I'm getting the -2147352567 (8002...

Upgrade pains...
Hi all, I'm trying to upgrade from CRM 1.2 to CRM 3.0. I'm getting an error that says the "database is not published for merge replication"... Which sounds like a really dumb error (and check to make), because 3.0 doesn't even use replication! If anybody has come across this one and has a solution I'd be most grateful. (I've tried republishing, removing replication totally, even running the script at the end of the upgrade white paper to 'eliminate replication' hangover issues... Thanks, Dave -- Log file contents --- 12:51:55| Error| Install exceptio...

Launching Program with Time Sensitive Data
I use excel to create orders for parts from a variety of different suppliers. After I create and fax the order to the specific vendor, I have to "remember" to go back to the same order in a couple of days and call the vendor to ensure they received the order that I sent to them. Currently I am using a separate program (cute reminder) or a plain "sticky note" to remind me to do this, however what I would LIKE to be able to do is to use an integrated option or formula or perhaps a 3rd party program that allows me to simply set a date and time within Excel for the progr...

Excel VBA to Copy Paste Range X Times with the same spreadsheet
I have a spreadsheet that I'm trying to copy and paste the same data range 200+ times down the spreadsheet to the next blank cell, does anyone have any code to automate this. This is a routine process every month. Thanks EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice ASP.NET Programmer's Reference [Wrox Press] http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/68adb4f7-c86e-4c39-a897-012dfdc39b86/aspnet-programmers-refe.aspx More detail with before/after examples or If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this message on an...

question about Time

Template with date and time stamp
Has anyone created a template where the static date and time will automatically be included in a cell? I know with the NOW() function, the date and time will continually be updated. If you want a static date entered in a cell dynamically (like when a workbook is initially opened) you'd have to use a macro. For instance you could put this in the ThisWorkbook module of the template's VB project: Private Sub Workbook_Open() If Range("A1").Value = 0 Then Range("A1").Value = Date End Sub -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Outlook takes long time to start.
I dont know what the issue stems from... could be i have alot of email in my accounts. I have a hotmail account that seems to be where it slows down alot. I dont know what info to give to get this resolved... maybe someone could give me some questions to find out the answer... -James Is outlook able to get any messages at all? Is that the problem or is Outlook taking a long time to start? I do not think the no of E-Mails is a problem as long. I have around 308 MB worth of E-Mail and Outlook does not have a problem starting up. What version of Outlook are you using and on what OS. Is ...

word/excel:mac 12.2.3 on leopard: slow
word and excel on leopard are exceedingly slow. I just found that word always goes to 'spinning wheel' when i just move the cursor over the 'work' menu. Is there a way to even remove the work menu to avoid that? clicking 'help' also starts a spinning ball another triggere of extreme slowness is switching windows (diff documents open) or moving between spaces. Any hints how to cure these? On 2/24/10 7:39 PM, Mathias Koerber wrote: > Any hints how to cure these? See this page for suggestions. Many pertain specifically to Entourage but many are ...

Trying to print a template and it wants to print from the rear try
I have a Canon MX700. When I try to print a template from Office 2007 I change the printer to front tray on the print window but it always changes to the rear tray. As my printer is in another room this is a nuisance as I have to get up and load paper. Why won't it accept my change to the front tray? It is going to be easier to make up my own documents if I can't change the printer. Canon have no suggestions as to why this is so. ...

Outlook 2003 Painfully Slow!
After installing Outlook 2003, use of Outlook became painfully slow. True, I do have a large .pst file 500,000. Even simple things like moving an email to another file folder takes forever and I get little messages like "Outlook 2003 Preparing View"! Why, Outlook use to be instantaneous. What is the answer to this? If no answer, what do I have to do to remove Outlook 2003. Pete McAlpine ...

Printing postcards with Mail Merge is VERY slow
My printing from Publisher 2007 is very slow with Mail Merge from Excel (55 seconds per page of 4 postcards). I do have a picture and logo totalling 1.2MB. Any hints to make this faster would be appreciated. I'm using a Xerox Phaser 8400 (fast printer). The quality of the picture and logo is critical, so I do not want to sacrafice that. Thanks. In the past Publisher had some issues with Xerox printers. The solution then was to disable the crop mark and bleed options under Advanced Printer Setup... (Printer Details tab). -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http:...

Dumb Question About Time and date
It's a dumb question because I used to be a whiz at Excel, but in the last three years in a new job forgot so much of it. Here is the deal: how do I put a formula in a cell that will show the current time or the current date? I used to know how to do this, but can't figure it out now. I am using Excel 97. Thank you. The formula =NOW() will return the current date and time. The formula =TODAY() will return the current date without the time. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "mdginzo&...

Using Time in Excel
I have created a clocking-on style timesheet whereby you enter the time that you start work and time that you finish work and then it calculates how many hours:mins that you have worked and how much overtime has been done. It does work very well but my question is Is it possible to create a macro that will enter the current time in a particular cell when a button is pressed? In the spreadsheet that I have created a button like this would elimate human entry error and could end up been a real asset to companies who want to track the time that there employees work. Thankyou Su...