Page a Day Diary

Version: 2008

I would like to create a page a day diary in word without having to type the date into 365 pages myself. Any ideas how to autogenerate the pages? <br><br>Phil
0
philterrett

Hello Phil,

On 2009.12.17 5:01 PM, in article 59baf36c.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"philterrett@officeformac.com" <philterrett@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I would like to create a page a day diary in word without having to type the
> date into 365 pages myself. Any ideas how to autogenerate the pages?

How do you want each page to look - what do you
want to see on each page? Lines? A page number?
The date of that day?

Would be nice to get some details, so we can direct you
to the best solution.

Jeff

0
Jeff
12/17/2009 12:18:55 PM
> On 2009.12.17 5:01 PM, in article 59baf36c.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;philterrett@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > I would like to create a page a day diary in word without having to type the <br>
> > date into 365 pages myself. Any ideas how to autogenerate the pages? <br>
> How do you want each page to look - what do you <br>
> want to see on each page? Lines? A page number? <br>
> The date of that day? <br>
> Would be nice to get some details, so we can direct you <br>
> to the best solution. <br>
> Jeff <br>

0
philterrett
12/17/2009 1:19:30 PM
Hello again, Phil,

On 2009.12.17 10:19 PM, in article 59baf36c.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"philterrett@officeformac.com" <philterrett@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeff - I'd like the date at the top of each page.

If you were using Excel, this would be rather easy -
just reference the previous page's date, and add one.
It's quite easy to create a list of dates from January 1 to
December 31 this way.

However, the question is whether the same thing
can be done in Word. I looked into it quite a bit this evening,
and came to the conclusion that the best way to do this is
by using AppleScript.
For instance, you would start off in Excel by creating a list of
dates. Your AppleScript would index the first date entry in
Excel, copy it to the clipboard, paste it into Word, insert
a page break, return to the Excel sheet, index the next cell,
and then loop back to the beginning, reiterating this
364 times to create a page for each day of the year.
That's one possible method.

I experimented with using Automator for this, which will
_almost_ get you there, but I couldn't get the variable to
work correctly (doi). Someone else with more knowledge
might do better.

How you would accomplish this in AppleScript terms is
likewise a bit beyond my lacking knowledge level right now,
but hopefully someone else here would be able to fill
in the blanks. The workflow itself is pretty straightforward -
it's really just a matter of translating it into AppleScript
terms.

Jeff

0
Jeff
12/17/2009 3:28:57 PM
0
philterrett
12/18/2009 6:32:06 AM
Hello Phil,

On 2009.12.18 15:32, in article 59baf36c.3@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"philterrett@officeformac.com" <philterrett@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I'll have a think about other ways to do this - wouldn't have thought setting
> up a 365 page document with the date at the top of each page would be a
> problem, ho-hum.

Actually, setting up a 365-page document with the
date at the top _isn't_ a problem. Headers can contain
today's date, and that part is easy enough to set up.
It's making the date sequential for 365 days of the year
that's the big hurdle to overcome in this case.

As I mentioned, it's pretty easy to do in Excel with some
simple math. But in your case, you want to do it in Word;
and you want to have one page for each day of the year,
and have the dates appear automatically
in sequence. That requires some kind of internal math and
document automation, which is not Word's fort� (especially
without AppleScript or VBA).

On the other hand, if you select the Insert - Field command
in Word, you'll find a category called "Document Automation".
Word's help content is incredibly skimpy on this point and
will be of little use, but there's a very detailed document
at www.techsupportalert.com/pdf/e1182.pdf that you could
have a look at for some tips on how to use field codes
to perhaps achieve the result you're looking for without
AppleScript. (The article applies to Word for Windows, but
the basics are essentially the same in Word for Mac.)
This is a rather advanced feature, so don't be discouraged
if you can't figure it all out at once. I never use the
custom field codes or variables in the fields for Word,
just the basic ones like page numbers, document titles
and so on, so honestly, it's a bit beyond me at present.
(If the documentation was better, I would get into it,
but Microsoft provides very little help here.)

There's another web page called "Insert a date other than
today's date" (http://www.gmayor.com/insert_a_date_other_than_today.htm)
that discusses this, but the field codes featured there are
incredibly complex.
It seems like there would be a simpler answer...

Also, as I wrote last time, Automator will _almost_
do the trick - you can create an Automator workflow to
insert pages and do that x number of times in succession.
If you can figure out how to increment the variable
and get it to work, you may be able to get by without
learning any AppleScript or field codes at all ;-)

Jeff

0
Jeff
12/18/2009 8:04:37 AM
Hi Jeff and Phil,

it might actually be quite easy to do this if you combine the Excel
spreadsheet and the Word document via Word's Mail Merge Manager. You can
create the date list in Excel quite easily, and then set up a Word document
with Mail Merge Manager to have the date appear on each page. It should take
no longer than a couple of minutes to set this up. Phil, if this solution
sounds interesting to you and you need help the methods I have just
mentioned, post back.

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP - Macintosh

*** Please always reply to the newsgroup. ***

0
Michel
12/18/2009 8:38:31 AM
Hello Michel,

On 2009.12.18 17:38, in article C750FE17.987E%mbintener@NOmvpsSPAM.org,
"Michel Bintener" <mbintener@NOmvpsSPAM.org> wrote:

> Hi Jeff and Phil,
>
> it might actually be quite easy to do this if you combine the Excel
> spreadsheet and the Word document via Word's Mail Merge Manager. You can
> create the date list in Excel quite easily, and then set up a Word document
> with Mail Merge Manager to have the date appear on each page. It should take
> no longer than a couple of minutes to set this up. Phil, if this solution
> sounds interesting to you and you need help the methods I have just
> mentioned, post back.

I'd be very interested to see the results on this,
to see how it's done! :D

Jeff

0
Jeff
12/18/2009 8:57:54 AM
Hi Jeff,

> I'd be very interested to see the results on this,
> to see how it's done! :D

I've just tried it, and it works quite well. If Phil wants me to, I will
create the diary file for him, and I will e-mail you the file, too. And if
Phil is not interested, I can always send you the file, with detailed
instructions.

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP - Macintosh

*** Please always reply to the newsgroup. ***

0
Michel
12/18/2009 9:09:19 AM
On Dec 18, 8:38=A0am, Michel Bintener <mbinte...@NOmvpsSPAM.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > but Microsoft provides very little help here.)
>
> > There's another web page called "Insert a date other than
> > today's date" (http://www.gmayor.com/insert_a_date_other_than_today.htm=
)
> > that discusses this, but the field codes featured there are
> > incredibly complex.
> > It seems like there would be a simpler answer...
>
> > Also, as I wrote last time, Automator will _almost_
> > do the trick - you can create an Automator workflow to
> > insert pages and do that x number of times in succession.
> > If you can figure out how to increment the variable
> > and get it to work, you may be able to get by without
> > learning any AppleScript or field codes at all ;-)
>
> > Jeff
>
> --
> Michel Bintener
> Microsoft MVP - Macintosh
>
> *** Please always reply to the newsgroup. ***

Unless I'm missing something, there seems a much simpler way:
1. Generate the list of dates in Excel
2. Paste into Word
3. Use Find-and-Replace to add a page-break to each entry (and any
other text that needs to be on each page)

Dow
0
dow
12/18/2009 9:39:33 AM
Hello,

On 2009.12.18 6:39 PM, in article
4178f97a-3232-4b42-ab52-e4861311b7c6@q18g2000yqj.googlegroups.com, "dow"
<dow.smith@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unless I'm missing something, there seems a much simpler way:
> 1. Generate the list of dates in Excel
> 2. Paste into Word
> 3. Use Find-and-Replace to add a page-break to each entry (and any
> other text that needs to be on each page)

Incredible! This is an extremely simple and elegant solution,
taking me all of five minutes to set up and complete.
Nice work!

I was working under the impression that page breaks
were something that you had to insert using the
Insert - Break - Page Break command. So I got tied up trying
to think of all of the ways to insert a page break automatically
while still incrementing the calendar date.

The only thing I would make sure to do in your flow above
is to Paste Special into Word as unformatted text -
otherwise, you get the Excel cells pasted in as table cells,
which looks rather unseemly.

Once again, impressive work and a very creative solution -
hope the OP is happy!

Jeff

0
Jeff
12/18/2009 3:30:46 PM
Hello Michel,

On 2009.12.18 6:09 PM, in article C751054F.9885%mbintener@NOmvpsSPAM.org,
"Michel Bintener" <mbintener@NOmvpsSPAM.org> wrote:

> I've just tried it, and it works quite well. If Phil wants me to, I will
> create the diary file for him, and I will e-mail you the file, too. And if
> Phil is not interested, I can always send you the file, with detailed
> instructions.

Actually, once I got home this evening, I tried fooling
around with the Mail Merge functionality, and it was
pretty straightforward. I got it to work!
This is actually a rather flexible function, isn't it - and
your solution was very creative. Thanks for sharing that -
I learned something new.

Jeff

0
Jeff
12/18/2009 3:38:02 PM
0
philterrett
12/18/2009 3:39:46 PM
Thanks again Michael
0
philterrett

Mirror pages
We working on a 55 page catalog that is using the ACCENT BOX layout that came with Publisher. Every page has a pageholder/header at the top that shows the name of the catalog, the page number and a little image. When we began this, we were adding single pages (not knowing about the master page concept). Now we have all the pages ready but we've noticed that the page numbers within the pageholder and image are all on the top right of every page. What we would prefer is that they be mirrored with the left pages (odd number) having these items on the left hand corner and the right ...

All pages display on each page
I am having a problem with 2002 version that displays every page in the publication as one. Essentially every page is overlayed on every other page which makes the whole thing look like a big mess. Any suggestions as to how to cure this ? You maybe experiencing video driver failure. Do this, slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel, display folder, settings tab, advanced button, troubleshoot tab, slide the acceleration down a couple of notches. If this solves your issue go to the manufacturer's web site of your graphics card and look around for an upgraded driver. D...

How to have more than one page on web site
I am trying to upload a newsletter to a website, but only the front page appears. How do I get all of the pages to appear? ...

creating an e-mail hyperlink from a web page
Can anyone tell me what format I need to use to format a hyperlink that customers can click the submit button and communicate via e-mail to me from our web page. -- Gina I presume you know how to insert a hyperlink, and that given your use of the words "submit button", that you are actually asking about how to get the forms feature to work. Reference: Publisher web publication forms 101 http://msmvps.com/blogs/dbartosik/archive/2006/01/07/80564.aspx And then you will probably want to read the article about HTTP uploading protocol, and the troubleshooting article here: http:...

Problem with SDK pages after changing SQL port number

IFD Sign In Page
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C8940A.D1DDFFB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi All, Can we leverage credentails passed to "Sign In" page of MS CRM 4.0 in = IFD environment? I want to use it for making call to Discovery service = to fetch organization details. Thanks Rajeev ------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C8940A.D1DDFFB0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//...

what is the easiest way to load a web page in vc++? thanks Depends upon what you mean load. If you mean launching default browser, use ShellExecute. If you mean to load it in your MFC app, use CHTMLView. Other options are MSHTML, IWebBrowser2 etc. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com <anonymous@coolgroups.com> wrote in message news:08836cee5638a933f900557a8deb7d83@news.scbiz.com... | what is the easiest way to load a web page in vc++? | | thanks >-----Original Message----- >what is the easiest way to load a web page in vc++? > >thanks >. > microsoft ...

date-based fields changing depending on the time of day
Hello: I created a view that will show inventory item shipments due to customers within different time "buckets", such as Past Due, 0 - 3 Days, etc. as shown by my T-SQL programming below. A client claims that when he runs this view, he gets different data in the afternoon versus in the morning. As you can tell, there are a lot of date-based fields such as DATEADD. Do these date-based fields behave differently in SQL, depending on the time of day that they are run? SELECT ITMCLSCD AS [TYPE], IsNull(ITMCLSDC,'') AS [TYPE DESCRIPTION], ITEMNMBR AS [ITEM #], ITEMDES...

Page up and Page down
Is there any way the you can use Code to cause a form to do page up and page down. I have a Long form that some of the information that is at the bottom of the form is out of view and only use by certain people. How can I have a botton on click go page down to the bottom and another button that will return the form to the top of the form. I know that you can use the keys to accomplish this but for appearance value I would rather use a button on the form to accomplish this. any ideas? Sandrao, You can put a Page Break control on your form. Then, code on the Click event of your button...

Where did the other pages go in my booklet?
Opened an 8 page booklet to update it and print. (Created in Publisher 2003) The only page that is there is the first page. 7 pages are gone. Opened a brochure to print and all that is there is the front side. The extra pages seemed to have disappeared during one of the Microsoft updates. Is there any way to retrieve or find these missing pages? Disappearing pages don't happen during updates. Are you using 2007? Is it a trial? Do you have the page tabs visible in the status bar? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "PDX Sue" <PDX Sue@discussions.mic...

How to Make Page No dissapear if there is only one Page
Hi, Is there a way in MS Word 2003 and 2007 for making the page number display only if there is more than one pages. ie. the moment the pages become 2 the page number should appear and the moment the page number become 1 the page number should dissapear. Please help me out of this Regards, Akhil You could use a conditional field combination in the header/footer {IF {Numpages} > 1 {Page}} It will work in any version -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Wor...

Printing Appts from multiple Calendars on one page- How
Hi Guys. I have a client that uses Exchange 2k3 and Outlook 2k3 for a Calendaring/appointment system for their offices. The person at the front desk makes most of the appointments directly into the user's Calendars via shared calendars. While she can see multiple calendars at once, she would like to be able to print out one page that contains the appointments of multiple calendars. ie; Appointments from multiple calendars time slotted down the page. She needs to be able to juggle interview rooms and other resources and she has to know who has appts at what times. Any ideas on this one?...

I lost my page sorter at the bottom left hand side. How do I get.
I cannot find the page sorter and thus cannot go to different pages. How do I get the page sorter back? Thanks, Myra While in a state of ecstasy after repairing his laptop, Ed sees a message from Rice MS Newsletter Editor <RiceMSNewsletterEditor@discussions.microsoft.com>. On it is written: > I cannot find the page sorter and thus cannot go to different pages. > How do I get the page sorter back? Thanks, View > Status Bar is normally the first port of call -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaim...

Error on the script of this page
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C6FD1E.A3BEE240 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, Every time I open personal folders, I get a message saying: Error on the script of this page line 298 car 1 error: non registered class code 0 =20 URL: outlook today I close it, and then every thing works OK Thank you for your help if possible Louis MOUSSY ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C6FD1E.A3BEE240 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-...

Transfer 56 Pages of Data From Clipboard=?ISO-8859-1?B?iiA=?=To Clipboard?
You Mean there IS a Multi-Panel Clipboard in Office 2004?!? Oooppps! I Haven't seen it! Any Clues where it Might Be? You Guys are Great: Thanks for All the Help!! Sea Mac I'm Putting the Stock Phrases in the Scrapbook for Now but will chase down this Auto-Text thing. I hadn't seen it because I'm not using Office 2004 yet, so don't waste any time on my careless words. On 9/30/04 10:21 PM, "Sea Mac" wrote: > You Mean there IS a Multi-Panel Clipboard in Office 2004?!? Oooppps! I > Haven't seen it! Any Clues where it Might Be? You Guys are Gr...

How to "flip" pages in Reading Layout
At work, we use outlook professional, and documents are sent in "Reading Layout" format. Trouble is, I don't know how to flip the pages. Can you please help me? This is the message I get when I open a mult-page document in MS Word. Welcome to Reading Layout (Microsoft Office Word) This view has been designed to make it easier to read documents on your screen without needing to print them out. Reading Layout: • Lets you flip pages, like reading a book. • Uses large text with ClearType for easy reading. • Is an ideal place to review and comment on a document. • Shows only th...

Displaying XML Stream on ASP.NET Page
I am writing an application which will get stream of XML Data from a CRM application. I am able to make HTTP request and retrieve the xml stream in XML Text Reader. I want to display this data on an ASP.NET page. I have done some research and found that there is XML Web Server control in ASP.NET. However, all the examples I have seen utilize a XML document and not an XML Stream or XMLTextReader object. Can XML Web Server control also read from XML Text Reader. Also, what other options can I use to display stream of XML Data on ASP.NET Page. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ashish wrot...

Paging Limit
Hi all, I've a little Pronlem with the Paging Limit. In Version 1.2 You can set the Max or min Value in the <CRMWeb>\Tools\personalsettings\dialogs\personalsettings.aspx file. But how can a set this in the 3.0? My Problem is some of your useres select 250. But this value is to large. The should only have 50. I can set it in the UserSettings Database, but all useres can set it again to 250. So I must lock the Values over 50 for each user. So I hope somebody know how I can change this. Thanks, Andre ...

layout guides and page set up
Hi Everyone i have layout guides that i use to for templates, but when i turn the page from portrait to landscape the layout guides don't move with the paper the just resize themselves to fit along the landscape - what is the best way to have the layout guides move when the page is changed? Thanks Heaps Patchie There is no best way, the only way is to manually reposition the guides. The guides don't actually change position, you can test this by creating guides in the center horizontal and vertically. When you change the orientation the guides are still centered. -- Mary Sau...

how do I move pages in Publisher with out having to copy/paste?
I would like to move pages in with in publisher. I try and drag page two to page 7 and it will not let me. I can copy page two, insert a page before page 7 and paste it, but I can't move any pages. Please send any responses to Robert_Hunt@balboainsurance.com. Thank you.... RHunt wrote: > I would like to move pages in with in publisher. I try and drag page > two to page 7 and it will not let me. I can copy page two, insert a > page before page 7 and paste it, but I can't move any pages. Group, copy and paste is the only way. > Please send any responses to Robert_Hunt...

Saving as Web page.
I have upgraded from excel 97 to excel 2003. I used to be able to publish my sheets to the web using the save as html function in 97. It would ask me for a template that I had created and then publish the page with all the web page formating. Now when I save as a web page in 2003, I end up with basically a copy of my spreadsheet as a web page. Is there anyway I can get this to save pages the way it did in 97. I would like to use excel 2003 if this can be accomplished. ...

Bitmaps' Page Display
How would small bitmaps be displayed on a page of a tab control. The bitmaps would need to be printed out similarly to text, line by line. Each line would contain at least ten small bitmaps.And there could be enough lines to continue past the end the visible tab page. Then a scroll control would be used. Is it possible to do this type of thing. ...

page changes from one page to multiple pages
I am typing a word document. the mouse jumps all over the screen and one page turns into mutiple pages on the screen. ...

Page 2 of Receipts and Z Reports
How do I get to page 2 in the Journal Viewer? All CC receipts and X/Z Reports are made up of 2 pages. I can only view page 1 in the journal viewer. I've tried every key combination and button I thought possible but it will not advance to the 2nd page???? Ctrl + right arrow. It's a goofy one to remember. -- Jocelyn "David Parrish" wrote: > How do I get to page 2 in the Journal Viewer? > > All CC receipts and X/Z Reports are made up of 2 pages. I can only view page > 1 in the journal viewer. > > I've tried every key combination and button I ...

260 page WORD '07 doc would not open--some kind of XML error messa
It was my first week in a new Tech Writing job at a large consulting firm. I was given a 260+ page Operational Manual that 4 prior authors had worked on. Some had very limited knowledge of WORD. I spend 3 days making edits and , of course, saving it each night. On my fourth day coming to work, I was not able to open the document. The IT Dept researched it and said it could only be retrieved by someone who 'knew XML'. They had no one and I don't know XML. I happened to explain this to an admin asst. She said I ought to send the doc to her. I did. She saved it as a 97-2003...