Open Second Window of Same Document

Version: 2004
Processor: Intel

0
asmythe

I'm afraid you lost me with your second paragraph :-) What is preventing you
from doing the same thing now? According to your info you're still using
Office 2004, so why doesn't the same procedure continue to work?

Even if you've actually upgraded to Office 2008 there is no difference:

Window> New Window, then
Window> Arrange All

The only difference from the Windows version is that you don't have the
Tiled/Vertical/Horizontal/Cascade arrangement options provided within the
Mac version itself. However, if you check into the OS X feature called
'Spaces' you may find an acceptable alternative. You can also
reposition/resize each window to suit your need.

Additionally, you might try selecting the Split feature in Word's Window
menu in order to avoid having to jump between 2 separate windows.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/13/10 2:39 PM, in article 59bb525d.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"asmythe@officeformac.com" <asmythe@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel
> In Word2003 on the PC, I am able to open a second window of the same open
> document by going under "Window > New Window".. . . Very straightforward. . .
> . The syntax of the window titles would be "Document.doc:1" and
> "Document.doc:2".
>
> In Word2004 on the Mac, I used to be able to do the same thing but, after much
> searching, through an entirely different approach.
>
> I last used this strategy to work with large documents a number of months ago
> and, when I went to go to do the same thing this, for the life of me, I have
> not been able to find the method to do this. After spending more than two
> hours, I was hoping someone out there might know how to do this and, perhaps,
> add it as a ?macro or button onto a toolbar.
>
> Thx so much for anyone who happens to know. . . . . I know it'll probably be
> so straightforward that I'll kick myself when I see the answer. . .   ;-)
>
> Can any

0
CyberTaz
3/13/2010 8:00:34 PM
0
asmythe
3/14/2010 8:10:24 PM
We're happy to have you explain :-)

However, on this Mac, Window > New Window opens up a new pane of the same
document.

I use this from time to time: it's exactly the same on the PC and the Mac.

If the command is not there for you, then you need to reset your Window menu
:-)

Cheers

On 15/03/10 7:10 AM, in article 59bb525d.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"asmythe@officeformac.com" <asmythe@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Allow me to explain.
>
> The point that I was making is that I know that there is a way to open more
> than one "pane" of the same document in both the PC and Mac versions of Word.
>
> However, there is a major difference in how to access this feature between the
> PC and the Mac versions of Word.
>
> With the PC version, you access this feature under Window of the menu [Window
> > New Window].
>
> With the Mac version, you do not. I have been able to do this in the past with
> the Mac version using a different set of commands/menus but have been unable
> to recreate/duplicate this and have been unable to find anything within
> Mactopia - Word technical support regarding this. This is the source of my
> frustration.
>
> Just to be clear, this is not the same thing as Split view as what I'm trying
> to do is to have two "panes" of the same document. These are distinguished by
> "Document.doc:1" and "Document.doc:2" and can be moved around on the desktop
> independently. By the way, Split View is accessed the same way in both the PC
> and Mac versions of Word.
>
> So, I'm trying to find out/recall how to duplicate the creation of a second
> "pane" of the same open document within the Mac world that is accessed in the
> PC world through Window > New Window.
>
> Lastly, this is not the same as using Spaces, which I am quite familiar with
> and which I use all the time.

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

0
John
3/14/2010 10:10:38 PM
Hello asmythe;

Please see below...

On 3/14/10 4:10 PM, in article 59bb525d.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"asmythe@officeformac.com" <asmythe@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Allow me to explain.

Perhaps the only thing you needed to 'explain' is that "New Window" doesn't
appear in the Window menu of Word on the Mac you're using :-) Although that
still has not been stated I have the impression that it may be the case.

> The point that I was making is that I know that there is a way to open more
> than one "pane" of the same document in both the PC and Mac versions of Word.
>
> However, there is a major difference in how to access this feature between the
> PC and the Mac versions of Word.

No, there isn't any difference at all as I explained. Do you think we have
nothing better to do with our personal free time than to hang out here &
fabricate fictitious responses? :-)

> With the PC version, you access this feature under Window of the menu [Window
> > New Window].
>
> With the Mac version, you do not.

Yes, you do... Unless there is a local problem -- which now is beginning to
appear to be the case here.

> I have been able to do this in the past with
> the Mac version using a different set of commands/menus but have been unable
> to recreate/duplicate this and have been unable to find anything within
> Mactopia - Word technical support regarding this. This is the source of my
> frustration.

I have no idea what "different set of commands" you might be referring to
unless they did something more than produce a separate working window for
the same document. Perhaps you had a macro which included the
WindowNewWindow command along with other actions, but without knowing what
those other actions are it's impossible to assist in recreating the macro.

However, no other commands actually are needed _unless_ the one provided for
the purpose is failing or missing from the menu.

> Just to be clear, this is not the same thing as Split view as what I'm trying
> to do is to have two "panes" of the same document. These are distinguished by
> "Document.doc:1" and "Document.doc:2" and can be moved around on the desktop
> independently. By the way, Split View is accessed the same way in both the PC
> and Mac versions of Word.

Nor did I write that it is the same thing. In fact, I made the distinction
along with the mention of Split. The Split feature was merely suggested as
an alternative approach. If it doesn't satisfy your need, fine :-)

> So, I'm trying to find out/recall how to duplicate the creation of a second
> "pane" of the same open document within the Mac world that is accessed in the
> PC world through Window > New Window.

Which is exactly what has been explained in detail. What we're trying to
find out is as I first requested: Why is it not working for you?

> Lastly, this is not the same as using Spaces, which I am quite familiar with
> and which I use all the time.

This, also, was merely a suggestion in the event you were not familiar with
the feature. It certainly wasn't offered as a substitute, but as an adjunct
to the use of multiple document windows. In order to use Spaces effectively
in this scenario the 2 document windows would first have to be created.

If, in fact, the problem is that New Window doesn't appear in your Window
menu please follow John's suggestion to Reset the Window Menu in the
Customize Toolbars & Menus dialog. Should that not restore it to the menu
please let us know... There are additional steps to be taken if necessary.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

0
CyberTaz
3/15/2010 10:57:01 AM
> [...]
> &quot;asmythe@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Allow me to explain. <br>
> Perhaps the only thing you needed to 'explain' is that &quot;New Window&quot; doesn't <br>
> appear in the Window menu of Word on the Mac you're using :-) Although that <br>
> > The point that I was making is that I know that there is a way to open more <br>
> > than one &quot;pane&quot; of the same document in both the PC and Mac versions of Word. <br>
> > However, there is a major difference in how to access this feature between the <br>
> > PC and the Mac versions of Word. <br>
> No, there isn't any difference at all as I explained. Do you think we have <br>
> nothing better to do with our personal free time than to hang out here &amp; <br>
> fabricate fictitious responses? :-) <br>
> > With the PC version, you access this feature under Window of the menu [Window <br>
> > > New Window].   <br>
> > With the Mac version, you do not. <br>
> Yes, you do... Unless there is a local problem -- which now is beginning to <br>
> > I have been able to do this in the past with <br>
> > the Mac version using a different set of commands/menus but have been unable <br>
> > to recreate/duplicate this and have been unable to find anything within <br>
> > Mactopia - Word technical support regarding this. This is the source of my <br>
> > frustration.  <br>
> I have no idea what &quot;different set of commands&quot; you might be referring to <br>
> unless they did something more than produce a separate working window for <br>
> the same document. Perhaps you had a macro which included the <br>
> WindowNewWindow command along with other actions, but without knowing what <br>
> those other actions are it's impossible to assist in recreating the macro. <br>
> However, no other commands actually are needed _unless_ the one provided for <br>
> > Just to be clear, this is not the same thing as Split view as what I'm trying <br>
> > to do is to have two &quot;panes&quot; of the same document. These are distinguished by <br>
> > &quot;Document.doc:1&quot; and &quot;Document.doc:2&quot; and can be moved around on the desktop <br>
> > independently. By the way, Split View is accessed the same way in both the PC <br>
> > and Mac versions of Word. <br>
> Nor did I write that it is the same thing. In fact, I made the distinction <br>
> along with the mention of Split. The Split feature was merely suggested as <br>
> an alternative approach. If it doesn't satisfy your need, fine :-) <br>
> > So, I'm trying to find out/recall how to duplicate the creation of a second <br>
> > &quot;pane&quot; of the same open document within the Mac world that is accessed in the <br>
> > PC world through Window > New Window. <br>
> Which is exactly what has been explained in detail. What we're trying to <br>
> find out is as I first requested: Why is it not working for you? <br>
> > Lastly, this is not the same as using Spaces, which I am quite familiar with <br>
0
asmythe

Sibling Window KillFocus Issue (MFC)
I have a Dialog based MFC application that emulates a windows based browser with my own widgets and etc. Above the main window I have 4 children windows that are the primary focus of the project. The child windows in question have the capacity of minimizing and maximizing. Each of the 4 child windows act as siblings. Now the problem: I would like a maximized child window to automatically minimize when another child window is focused. I assumed OnKillFocus would accommodate this but it doesn't. More over, I do not have access to OnActivate, as they are children and only produce an O...

Can a custom checkbox be added to a Scroll Window?
Hello all, I've added a custom checkbox field to GP. I have created the field in a separate table with a one to one relationship per the suggestions of various documents. My problem is now this, I cannot get the checkbox to work in a Scroll Window. I have the checkbox related to the PO Line table and can get it (the checkbox) to work on the PO Line Detail screen, but I really would like it to work on the PO Entry screen with the Scroll Window that contains all the PO Lines. I have added the checkbox onto the Scroll Window but it doesn't seem to work or be possible to fill t...

Publisher 2000

Process stealing window focus
Is there a way to prevent a process from stealing window focus? I want my process to run completely silent, no UI interuptions at all, so this includes when it steals the focus from my top window. Not sure exactly what you mean by this? Is the top window in the same application or a different application. Does the "process" do any UI at all? When does it interrupt your main window? Tom "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9430ED69-207F-4266-9467-003F11BC11B7@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to prevent a process from stealing wi...

opening links in outlook

I don't show on windows friends list
I have a friend who says he can not see me online, when I have mine set to online, he can not see me, though he can see others. I am not in his blocked list? He has reinstalled it, with no luck. I can see him when he is online. appreciate any help on the situation, Bruce Is he using the same ID that you are using? I have had that experience where I used a different ID on WLM than elsewhere. -- rext "brucefl" wrote: > I have a friend who says he can not see me online, when I have mine set to > online, he can not see me, though he can see others. I am n...

Problem trying to open old money file

Windows Vista and RMS 2.0
Has anyone upgraded to Vista using RMS 2.0? Any pros/cons on duing this. I'm running it on my laptop without issues. But this is just for demos and research. Have not intalled it in production yet "Bill Fry" <BillFry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1D4E574-5383-45D8-8E44-F7BEAFDC0424@microsoft.com... > Has anyone upgraded to Vista using RMS 2.0? Any pros/cons on duing this. The Lack of non existant thermal printer drivers, for 1 "Bill Fry" <BillFry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1D4E574-5383-45D8-8E44-F...

Windows goes to the background
Hi Everyone, I am having a wiered problem. I have a Dialog based application that has a Modeless Child dialog. The child dialog is mostly hidden. I show the child dialog when I am syncing with the server to show progress message, and at the same time I disable the Main dialog with EnableWindow(FALSE), to simulate a modal dialog. Anyway when everything is done and I hide the Child dialog and call EnableWindow(TRUE) on the main dialog. When I do this the main dialog jumps behind all the other applications on the screen. This happens because of EnableWindow(FALSE), if I remove that line eve...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

why is outlook closing when I try to maximise window?
Just started using Microsoft outlook 2000 for emails. Was using web based programmes before. Outlook express wouldn't recognise internet connection, so went to MS Outlook. After a lot of adjustments, finally got it to send and recieve however when it opens, it is in a minimized window. Every time I click the maximize button or try to expand the borders by clicking and dragging, it closes and gives me a message that outlook needs to close. Why is it doing that and how can I get it to open in a maximized window. ...

In place CRM and Windows upgrade
I have a customer that has CRM 3.0 installed on a Windows 2000 and SQL 2000 Server. The customer wishes to upgrade to CRM 4.0 and Windows 2008, and remain on the same physical server. What is the best approach for this? Here what I am thinking: 1. Backup CRM databases 2. Format and Upgrade Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 3. Install SQL 2005 4. Install CRM 3.0 from Existing Database Option 5. Upgrade to CRM 4.0 6. Backup CRM 4.0 databases 7. Upgrade to Windows 2008 Is there any other critical steps I am missing for this? Hi, It sounds like a plan, however I think CRM 4.0 still hav...

Need an open house sign in sheet

My windows Mail
When I hit "send / receive" in windows mail, (it just started today), I get a windows security box that says: logon to pop-server.socal.com "Please verify that both the user name and password are correct for your mail server." There are boxes for username and password. I put them in and hit "ok". I then get an error message: "account: 'pop-server.socal.rr.com',server:'pop-server.ca.rr.com',protocol:pop3,server response:'-ERR invalid username or pass word.'port:110, secure (SSL): no, server error: 0x800ccc90, error number...

opening links

cannot open excel file from outlook

How can I access the windows clipboard?
On closing a number of applications ask if I want to keep the data on my clipboard available for other applications. How can I look at the clipboard, either before or after closing down, to see what is available to me there? The Windows clipboard will contain the last thing you copied. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< >...

Windows updates won't install
I am using a Windows XP Professional computer with service pack 3. When the update icon (yellow diamond) appeared in my systray I tried to install the following three updates: 1) Microsoft.Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417) 2) Microsoft.Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and >net Framework 2.0 Security Update for Windows 2000. Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB979909) 3) Microsoft.Net Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982168) Although the updates completed, app...

HELP!- Outlook 2002 and Windows Installer
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C48A75.535D59D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Everytime I open Outlook 2002 - the "Windows Installer" dialog box = appears. On the first instance of opening Outlook 2002 after a reboot or = cold start - the "Windows Installer" actually goes through what appears = to be the installation of a ?????. Repeated openings of Outlook 2002 = reveals the dialog box for about two seconds then it closes. This just = started. O/S: Win XP- ...