New Installation of Word 2008 crashes immediately

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

I purchased the 2008 Business Edition upgrade. I removed the 2008 free trial stuff and even my 2004 programs. When I start Word, as soon as I move the mouse the program automatically shuts down. No error no nothing. What am I doing wrong?
0
jlmart

i'm also having a problem with word 2008 (which i just installed this weekend on a new macbook running snow leopard) crashing - strangely, i was able to work with this program for a few hours this morning, but now (and i have no idea what caused the change) word crashes within about 30 seconds of me opening any file.  this does not happen with other programs in office 2008, since i've tested excel and powerpoint.  i've also checked and word is in the correct folder, so that's not causing the problem either. :-(
0
emilywish
4/19/2010 12:42:24 PM
Do you have the latest version, e.g. downloaded updates as part of that
install?  If not, then update to latest. Also check that you have the
latest OS X.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 19/04/10 13:42, emilywish@officeformac.com wrote:
> i'm also having a problem with word 2008 (which i just installed this
> weekend on a new macbook running snow leopard) crashing - strangely, i
> was able to work with this program for a few hours this morning, but now
> (and i have no idea what caused the change) word crashes within about 30
> seconds of me opening any file. this does not happen with other programs
> in office 2008, since i've tested excel and powerpoint. i've also
> checked and word is in the correct folder, so that's not causing the
> problem either. :-(
0
Rob
4/19/2010 1:53:31 PM
"How" did you remove the trial versions and 2004 version?

The symptom can be caused if the matching components of Microsoft Office are
not in the correct folder.

I suggest that you do the following 12 steps:

1)  Track down all instances of pre-2008 Normal template on your computer,
and drag them to your desktop.  The file is called simply "Normal" and has
no extension.

2)  Run the Remove Office tool from
</Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Additional Tools/Remove Office>

3)  Find and delete the file Normal.dotm.  Unless you have moved it, it
should be in
~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/

4)  If the following files exist, Remove or rename them:

 ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Word Settings (10)

 ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Word Settings (11)

 ~/Library/Preferences/com.Microsoft.Word.plist

5) ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008 (the whole folder!)

6) Ensure that your copy of OS X is right up-to-date with the latest patches
issued by Apple.  Run Software Update until it finds nothing!

7) Now insert the CD and install Office 2008.

8) Then Repair Permissions with Disk Utility.

9) Now start Font Book and "Resolve Duplicates".  Office installs some later
versions of fonts already in place: you must get the duplicates out, or Word
will crash.

10) Then re-install or reapply the 12.2.0 and 12.2.3 and 12.2.4 updates, in
that order.

11) Repair permissions again.

12)  Now shut down, wait for the power to go off, then re-start.  This fires
the Unix clean-up scripts.

It's important to do all 12 steps as a single sequence: don't skip any that
you think you may have already done, because the files causing the problem
can be instantly re-created when Word starts.

Hope this helps

On 19/04/10 8:49 PM, in article 59bb71e0.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"jlmart@officeformac.com" <jlmart@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I
> purchased the 2008 Business Edition upgrade. I removed the 2008 free trial
> stuff and even my 2004 programs. When I start Word, as soon as I move the
> mouse the program automatically shuts down. No error no nothing. What am I
> doing wrong?

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

Default properties for new folders

Business Portal installation error
We've tried to install Business Portal 2.0 and had this error "Unable to validate backoffice data". Does any one know how to tackle this. It is a 2003 server box with .NET, Sharepoint installed Peter, I have seen this error come up when you have a mismatch between the number of companies listed in the Company Master (SY01500), the DU000020, and the DB_Upgrade Table. All three of these tables are located in the DYNAMICS database. Perform a select statement on the SY01500 and make sure to note each company listed, its company ID, and the Interid (Database Name). Then ...

New Email Messages

CRM 3.0 Installation 11-07-05
When installing CRM 3.0, just after I accept the licence agreement, I get the following error: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation font Tahoma doesn't support style Regular Can anyone help? The server I'm installing on is also a Sharepoint Portal Server, should this cause any issues? Thanks, Dan. Specific questions related to CRM v3 should be addressed to the Early Access newsgroup. For connection details see: https://microsoft.order-7.com/CRMPartnerBeta/resources/newsgroups.doc -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Dan Baird" <DanBaird@d...

Outlook 2003, Windows 7, crashing on Reminders
Hi All. I'm using Outlook 2003 SP3 on my new Windows 7 machine. All is fine in Outlook until the reminder window needs to pop up. As soon as it does, with maybe a second delay, the entire computer seizes and I need to power off to reboot. None of the reminders actually load/display in the pop-up Reminders window, though the title bar for the pop-up starts to count the number but stalls on "1 Reminder". Running Outlook in "safe" mode is just fine. The reminders pop-up opens no problem and I just continue working. Running in "normal" mode,...

New Location/New setup

How do I activate the new mail button

Style available all sheets new or old

Word 2003 Forms (JUMP TO Fields)
I am creating a word 2003 form and was wondering if it is possible to skip fields depending on the selection in a drop down menu. ie. QUESTION: Is there a requirement for a COSHH Assessment ? DROP DOWN ANSWER-----Yes/NO If yes just go to the next field box if NO then Jump this section to another section/Field further down the form? Any takers? -- Regards Martin D It is possible, but only with a macro. The basic idea of changing which form field is "next" is discussed at http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/SetTabOrder.htm. The macros in that article can b...

Adding new pages

New messages comes up in Deleted folder

Best way to install Pub 2002 ?
I have Pub 2000 and wish to update to Pub 2002 (it's only �50 from Amazon whereas Publisher 2003 is �150!). As I have many large files which I cannot risk not opening after the install, should I install 2002 AS WELL AS 2000? Or doesn't it matter. Which install options should I choose? Any advice appreciated please. Chris After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from chris <cris.ebbs@nospambtopenworld.com>... > I have Pub 2000 and wish to update to Pub 2002 (it's only �50 from > Amazon whereas Publisher 2003 is �150!). > As I have many...

New User has admin rights

Creating new row in other table
Dear All, Please teach me, how to make a new row/list in other table by entering number in other table. Sample, In the table A and in the field "Details", I put the number 2 and it automatically creates two rows in table B. Can this be done in MS Access? Thank you for your help. Regards, Maulwy Why? What business need are you attempting to solve with this approach? It's generally considered not very good database design to be creating 'empty' rows in a second table. Why do you want empty rows? And if the number you enter in TableA is a 'limit&...

AP
What would be the best tool to add a new field in the AP invoice screen to deploy to a client? Extender? Modifier? the ideal would be to add a field for "Job No." that is text info so the user can get some info out on certain jobs that they are paying bills for. thanks -- Linda W. Linda, You can use any tool, really, to accomplish this: - Modifier with VBA. You can add the fields to the window with Modifier, then use VBA and ADO or DUOS to store and retrieve the data. - Modifier with Dexterity. You can add the fields with Modifier, then trigger off the form with Dex...

Button "New Account" in Sub-Accountsview opens Parent account
When I open an account, and then go to the subaccounts of that account, I click on the Button "New Account" to create a new subaccount for this account. Instead of opening a new account form, the application opens the original Account form. Anybody an idea how this is possible? Regards, Sanne groenhof -- MSCRM, hosted as ASP, and configured for your business. Sanne, Have you installed any specific toolbars in your Internet Explorer? Like google toolbar/msn toolbar? -- Rob Bakkers, Avanade Netherlands "Sanne" wrote: > When I open an account, and then go to...

new to old
hi, A web designing company has just done us a website, and part of it includes the database of our stock. They have written/created it on access xp, but we have only got and old version of access. Can we open/use/update files written in access xp on an older version of access? thanks very much jethro Hi Jethro, It depends. By default Access 2002 (XP) uses the Access 2000 file format, so if you have Access 2000 you may be able to use the database as is. However, if the database is in the form of an mde file created by Access 2002 it will be in Access 2002 format. Otherwise (i.e. if t...

new columns created from "&nbsp;"
I have a bunch of data in a column and it is "separated" by "&nbsp;". The data was imported from an online database. Is there a way to create columns within the current workbook from where the &nbsp; appears? (much like importing a text file) TIA, Greg Greg Wilker wrote: > I have a bunch of data in a column and it is "separated" by "&nbsp;". > > The data was imported from an online database. > > Is there a way to create columns within the current workbook from where the > &nbsp; appears? (much like importing a te...