Misplaced View and FIle Button on Menu Bar

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Clueless new Mac user here- when I was changing the toolbar commands in Word (2008) I lost my View and File commands on the menu bar.  I have looked at some previous posts - and have tried some of the suggested fixes such as going to the offending toolbar, pressing the control button while right clicking to no avail. Any other suggestions? Many thanks, Bob
0
rsmnorcal

Control/Right-Clicking a *toolbar* will not Reset the *Menu Bar*, it
produces one of 2 contextual menus, one of which contains a Reset Toolbar
command. That command resets the toolbar you clicked to produce the
contextual menu & the Menu Bar does not present a contextual menu so it
can't be reset in the same way. Since it's unclear what you've actually
attempted start at the beginning...

You'll need to go into the Customize dialog where the damage was done to
begin with :-), so either go to View> Customize Toolbars & Menus... or use
that Control/Right-Click method & select that same command.

Once in the Customize dialog go to the Toolbars & Menus page, click on the
*name* of the Menu Bar (not the checkbox), then click the Reset button in
that dialog. Your Menu items should reappear when you OK out.

If they still don't show up go back into the Customize dialog but to the
Commands page. Scroll in the Categories list to locate & select Built-In
Menus which will produce a list of the default Menu items in the Commands
list. Drag the missing Menu items from that list to their preferred position
on the Menu Toolbar (which should be displayed directly beneath the Menu Bar
itself but looks like a typical toolbar).

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/5/10 8:54 PM, in article 59bb0270.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"rsmnorcal@officeformac.com" <rsmnorcal@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Clueless new Mac user here- when I was changing the toolbar commands in Word
> (2008) I lost my View and File commands on the menu bar.  I have looked at
> some previous posts - and have tried some of the suggested fixes such as going
> to the offending toolbar, pressing the control button while right clicking to
> no avail. Any other suggestions? Many thanks, Bob

0
CyberTaz
1/6/2010 11:48:01 AM
Great - worked! <br><br>Thank-you very much.
0
rsmnorcal
1/6/2010 4:23:23 PM
thank worked! thanks :)

"CyberTaz" wrote:

> Control/Right-Clicking a *toolbar* will not Reset the *Menu Bar*, it
> produces one of 2 contextual menus, one of which contains a Reset Toolbar
> command. That command resets the toolbar you clicked to produce the
> contextual menu & the Menu Bar does not present a contextual menu so it
> can't be reset in the same way. Since it's unclear what you've actually
> attempted start at the beginning...
>
> You'll need to go into the Customize dialog where the damage was done to
> begin with :-), so either go to View> Customize Toolbars & Menus... or use
> that Control/Right-Click method & select that same command.
>
> Once in the Customize dialog go to the Toolbars & Menus page, click on the
> *name* of the Menu Bar (not the checkbox), then click the Reset button in
> that dialog. Your Menu items should reappear when you OK out.
>
> If they still don't show up go back into the Customize dialog but to the
> Commands page. Scroll in the Categories list to locate & select Built-In
> Menus which will produce a list of the default Menu items in the Commands
> list. Drag the missing Menu items from that list to their preferred position
> on the Menu Toolbar (which should be displayed directly beneath the Menu Bar
> itself but looks like a typical toolbar).
>
> HTH |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 1/5/10 8:54 PM, in article 59bb0270.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
> "rsmnorcal@officeformac.com" <rsmnorcal@officeformac.com> wrote:
>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel
> > Clueless new Mac user here- when I was changing the toolbar commands in Word
> > (2008) I lost my View and File commands on the menu bar.  I have looked at
> > some previous posts - and have tried some of the suggested fixes such as going
> > to the offending toolbar, pressing the control button while right clicking to
> > no avail. Any other suggestions? Many thanks, Bob
>
> .

And by Chance running on Snow Leopard v10.6.2combo download/install. FYI the Combo add on is a fix for around 50 buggs and is after the Orig. Snow Leppard release. Whole OS thing on a 20" iMac Desktop.

We have the exact bugs (aka PIA) here as in both software and OSs too. Problem, sure U know is that most fixes published always start out at the View Menu customizing the Menu Bar where the missing View Button as gone so far South even close to wished away and lost. I spent 2-3 hours @ Mactopia without an even maybe try result. Kinda an everthing but place, so far for me. I got it straight setup once by a simple "Reset after choosing the Menue Bar to Reset which does a total correct reset. Lasted about a week and then subsided. I do know the fix.sequence starts at Microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx?target and

is Titled:   "Reset menus and toolbars". I'm sure an easy find would be a Google search and have a hunch it's probably Mactopia.

So we are on, rather in "The Same Boat. If I find a better or = fix, I be glad to share from agenohb@gmail.com, and your email address will facilitate same.
BTW I also junked WinXP SP2 after 22 Years of continual agony. I put it 6ft under a pile of rocks, in the back Yard on Sept 1, 2008 after purchase of iMac at BestBuy, Charlotte. To round out New Home with New Computer after a 26 Yr VISIT to SE FL coastline, Born/Bread in Champaign-Urbana IL.
Regards, this 6th day of Feb 2010,@8:00 PM ET
--
Eugene H Brown
13617 Porter Creek Rd.

rsmnorca wrote:

Misplaced View and FIle Button on Menu Bar
05-Jan-10

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Clueless new Mac user here- when I was changing the toolbar commands in Word (2008) I lost my View and File commands on the menu bar.  I have looked at some previous posts - and have tried some of the suggested fixes such as going to the offending toolbar, pressing the control button while right clicking to no avail. Any other suggestions? Many thanks, Bob

On Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:54 PM
rsmnorca wrote:

Misplaced View and FIle Button on Menu Bar
Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Clueless new Mac user here- when I was changing the toolbar commands in Word (2008) I lost my View and File commands on the menu bar.  I have looked at some previous posts - and have tried some of the suggested fixes such as going to the offending toolbar, pressing the control button while right clicking to no avail. Any other suggestions? Many thanks, Bob

On Wednesday, January 06, 2010 6:48 AM
CyberTaz wrote:

Control/Right-Clicking a *toolbar* will not Reset the *Menu Bar*, itproduces
Control/Right-Clicking a *toolbar* will not Reset the *Menu Bar*, it
produces one of 2 contextual menus, one of which contains a Reset Toolbar
command. That command resets the toolbar you clicked to produce the
contextual menu & the Menu Bar does not present a contextual menu so it
cannot be reset in the same way. Since it is unclear what you have actually
attempted start at the beginning...

You'll need to go into the Customize dialog where the damage was done to
begin with :-), so either go to View> Customize Toolbars & Menus... or use
that Control/Right-Click method & select that same command.

Once in the Customize dialog go to the Toolbars & Menus page, click on the
*name* of the Menu Bar (not the checkbox), then click the Reset button in
that dialog. Your Menu items should reappear when you OK out.

If they still do not show up go back into the Customize dialog but to the
Commands page. Scroll in the Categories list to locate & select Built-In
Menus which will produce a list of the default Menu items in the Commands
list. Drag the missing Menu items from that list to their preferred position
on the Menu Toolbar (which should be displayed directly beneath the Menu Bar
itself but looks like a typical toolbar).

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/5/10 8:54 PM, in article 59bb0270.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,

On Wednesday, January 06, 2010 11:23 AM
rsmnorca wrote:

Great - worked! <br><br>Thank-you very much.
Great - worked! <br><br>Thank-you very much.

On Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:45 PM
123456 wrote:

thank worked! thanks :)"CyberTaz" wrote:
thank worked! thanks :)

"CyberTaz" wrote:

ADO Functions in a Windows Script Component
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/917a5651-f5c9-41e1-b34c-0c80b0a4039e/ado-functions-in-a-window.aspx
0
Eugene
2/7/2010 12:58:16 AM
I cannot find the view menu I have tried control right clicking everywhere. I have reinstalled. All i have is file edit insert format font tools table window work help at the top and the document display modes in the bottom left. With out the view button I can't fix up my menus.
Can anyone help? Thanks you in advance.
Tim

123456 wrote:

thank worked! thanks :)"CyberTaz" wrote:
thank worked! thanks :)

"CyberTaz" wrote:

On Saturday, February 06, 2010 7:58 PM
Eugene H Brown wrote:

Missing in Word 2008  Menu Bar: View and Tools buttons also incl Menus thereof
[...]

BizTalk Configure and Send SMTP Mail Based on Message Within an Orchestration
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/4e9e7c92-1279-4fdb-8631-a2f309a021c2/biztalk-configure-and-sen.aspx
0
Tim
3/14/2010 1:36:02 AM
Right-Click the Standard toolbar in a document window & select the Customize
Toolbars & Menus... command. Then follow the instructions below in the reply
to the other poster.

Also, keep in mind that if you've reinstalled Office [which is rarely a fix
for anything] you'll also need to reapply all updates if you haven't done so
already. Tend to that first if you haven't done so.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/13/10 8:36 PM, in article 201031320361youngts@spiderweb.com.au, "<Tim
Young>" <> wrote:

> [...]
> Google search and have a hunch it's probably Mactopia.
>
> So we are on, rather in "The Same Boat. If I find a better or = fix, I be glad
> to share from agenohb@gmail.com, and your email address will facilitate same.
> BTW I also junked WinXP SP2 after 22 Years of continual agony. I put it 6ft
> under a pile of rocks, in the back Yard on Sept 1, 2008 after purchase of iMac
> at BestBuy, Charlotte. To round out New Home with New Computer after a 26 Yr
> VISIT to SE FL coastline, Born/Bread in Champaign-Urbana IL.
> Regards, this 6th day of Feb 2010,@8:00 PM ET
> --
> Eugene H Brown
> 13617 Porter Creek Rd.
> Charlotte, NC 28262
> 704.503.4740
> agenohb@gmail.com

> BizTalk Configure and Send SMTP Mail Based on Message Within an Orchestration

File backup option
Usually most programs have a feature where there is a timed backup made of each file you work on. The back up is saved in the directory or folder the user chooses. Tools/options/save seems not to produce the desired results where the Autorecover save location I create is something like D:\Excel\backup, and set for a specific number of minutes. Any help here would certainly be appreciated I have always had good success with this forum and thank any and all who have provided solutions to my problems. I usually work for quite a while on the problem to see if I can figure it out myself w...

View Partial Source in IE8?
Hi all, This was one of my favorite feature and was extremely useful. It was packaged as part of the IE5 Dev PowerToys back in Aug. 2001. I've used it in the past on IE6 and *I think* IE7. I've seen posts saying it is compatible with IE6 & IE7 but nothing about IE8. I'm using IE8 and don't want to install it if it will screw anything up. I have 2 questions: 1. Will this work with IE8? 2. Why was this tool "done away with" when it was so popular? TIA Dave Black -- 2b || !2b "Dave Black" <DaveBlack@discussions.microsoft.c...

View only items in the left column that have X's in right columns
I'm sure there is a simple function for this. I have a master list of items in my far left column. The columns to their right use various combinations of the masterlist for which I have placed an X within the column in line/the row of the masterlist on the left. How do I get the program to sort or eliminate both the items or rows not with an X from the master list on the left along with eliminating from view all the other columns but the one selected? I want to be able to print individual reports showing how each individual column matchs up with the master list. HELP I think t...

Task Bar: '+' signs in front of tasks
Hi Everybody, How can I get rid of the '+' signs ion front of my tasks in the task bar? Thanks, Steve (Office 2007, XP Pro SP2) Steve Adams <steveada@bellsouth.net> wrote: > How can I get rid of the '+' signs ion front of my tasks in the task > bar? What's the "task bar", in your parlance. To most WIndowsd users, the "task bar" is the bar upon which Windows places the windows handles (icons) with which you can control which window has focus. Perhaps you're speaking of the "To Do" list, but it would help if you expl...

Picture inserted from file cannot be aligned

Ways to view your tasks
Hi, Is it possible to view your tasks pane in your Inbox so that you don't have to keep switching between the two sceens of Mailbox & Inbox? Our company is running Outlook 2003 if it matters. Many thanks. -- Dave Mitch "Dave Mitch" <DaveMitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9093CC5-0C1F-4907-A308-DC58D1060571@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to view your tasks pane in your Inbox so that you don't have > to keep switching between the two sceens of Mailbox & Inbox? Not with Outlook 2003, but you can certainly have ...

How do I show where a file is located?
I'd like to display a file path for a document so someone else can find it again. How can I display it in a footer? Insert the FILENAME field; you can use the Field dialog box for this purpose. To display the dialog box: - Click Insert | Field (Word 2003). - Click Insert tab | Quick Parts | Field (Word 2007). -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "energysaver" <energysaver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CD50FAB-80A6-4353-9A84-1FCF66BDE17F@microsoft.com... > I'd like to display a file path for a document so someone else can f...

Recovering An Overwritten File #3
I overwrote a spreadsheet with a blank spreadsheet. How do I recover my previous spreadsheet? If you don't have a backup, I think you lost it. Any chance you emailed a copy to someone else--then you may have a copy in your sentbox or can ask that recipient to mail a copy back? Need To Recover A Spreadsheet wrote: > > I overwrote a spreadsheet with a blank spreadsheet. How do I recover my > previous spreadsheet? -- Dave Peterson ...

Using tree view in access
I don't know if what I'm attempting is possible in Access but here goes. I have an application in Access 2003 that uses two tabs (pages). On one I have text boxes, an unbound combo box and and an image control. I have set the path in code and linked one of the fields in the table to the image files so when the corresponding record is pulled up the image is displayed. On the second tab (page) I have placed a tree view control and would like for the end users to be able to scroll to the desired location on the network or designated drive (i.e. C:\images) and have the images...

Its Urgent!!previous view seen in new view
I am working on SDI Application which has 3 buttons on it.Each button when pressed enters into a View.Now when i am trying to switch from 2nd to 3rd view..2nd view can be seen in the gaps which exists between the controls on 3rd view.How do i remove that problem. I felt ..is the view not getting REFRESHED properly?? Pls help!! ...

exchange calender sync to .pst file
I'm trying to sync my work calendar, which is on an exchange server, so my home outlook, which is in a .pst file. I tried to "export" the calendar into a pst file, which works, except I use the option "replace any duplicate events" and when I open up the calendar, it leaves duplicates. Is there a way to sync the calendars w/o getting duplicates? I really just need to download the work calendar and place it in my home calendar, not the other way. Suggestions? Thanks! Matt wrote: > I'm trying to sync my work calendar, which is on an exchange server, ...

How do I view and/or delete links in a Word document?
in Word 2003 I can remove all links in a Word document at one time using Edit Links under the Edit menu option. Is there an equivalent in 2007 and if so where do I find it. The same dialog is available in Word 2007. Add the Edit Links command from the all commands section to the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> &...

Preview pane view
Hello, Some time ago I opened a thread regarding a problem I had with accented letters (=E1,=E9,=ED,=F3,=FA) in Outlook 2003 with Outlook Connector for Domino. Sometimes, in received mails composed by people using the Lotus Notes client, these letters appear bold in the reading pane and also when I open the message to edit it. Now I have found out that if I open the message with the 'Options/Mail Format/Use MS Word 2003 to read rich text mail messages' set and then select 'View/Normal' the bold dissapears and I can see the message correctly. On the other hand, if I select &#...

"There are no items in this view." How to get the messages back?
I've done something very silly. I tried to download messages from this newsgroup that are older than the oldest listed in my Outlook Express (i.e. before November 2009), and managed to lose them all. Is there a registry value or something I can change to tell my PC to re-download the old messages? Regards, Roger. Phuket Roger wrote: > I've done something very silly. I tried to download messages from this > newsgroup that are older than the oldest listed in my Outlook Express (i.e. > before November 2009), and managed to lose them all. > > ...

Calendar month view range
Anyone know how to set the calendar month view to show the current week on the top row and the following 4 weeks below [even if they are all in next month ! ] I've no interested in the past but in the last week of a month the standard month view only shows history :-( It's not possible. You could select the weeks in the navigation calendar but its not persistent -you'll need to repeat it. See http://slipstick.me/2wk for a demo of the method. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: htt...

hyperlink to file
This week I have changed from excel 1997 to 2003. When I press on my hyperlink to a file I get the message "the address from this site is not valid. Check the address and try again (in dutch)" When ik correct my hyperlink-address again, it works again, but when I SAVE the file the hyperlink adjust again and I get the same message. The hyperlink changes from: L:\publicaties\bibliotheek\accreditaties_certificaties\I006-RvA certificaat zwartwit (uk).pdf to: ../../BESTAND/publicaties/bibliotheek/accreditaties_certificaties/I006-RvA certificaat zwartwit (uk).pdf verandering van \ n...

Different datasets in one view
Hi, we have one subsidiary and want them to view only their datasets in the standard view - e.g. "All Opportunities". It is possible to add teams but it does not work the way I want it to or I have no idea how. How can I achieve that users only see their datasets without creating different views - means we only want to have one standard view but respectively a different list of datasets per user. Thanx for your help!! Hi, It isn't possible to show data from two related entities in a single view. However: You can show the primary attribute of related entities (eg. You can s...

Viewing Where a Link is in a document
Once you have determined this is a link in a document, is there a quick way of seeing where that link is? I have a rather large excel file with multiple tabs where I can not find the link, and manually looking for it would be close to impossible. Thx. There is a program called Findlink.xla, I think. It is an add-in. Search for it in Google and I expect you will find it. "James" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DAA90FB6-1C18-4823-80AB-6961D455C086@microsoft.com... > Once you have determined this is a link in a document, is there a quick way of ...

restoring .pst file
I have looked at all of the information about this topic, but it isn't working. My calendar on Outlook has lost all of its old entries. I cannot find the scanpst.exe file on this computer, although I have checked "show hidden files." I tried to download the file, but it says it can't run it because it is missing another file. I run Vista on this computer. Any help wil be appreciated. "dhodges103" <dhodges103@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35EACC6F-B4E8-4469-B153-C4F1AE61DA80@microsoft.com... >I have looked at all of ...

Non working time display in the timesheet view
Hi, Are there any way to display the non-working time under the timesheet view in the task page for a member? Currently it shows all the days & it becomes hard to identify the non-working days from the list of days.Are there any way we can configure MSP so that it reflects the planned as well as the unplanned non-working time for any resource on his/her task page? I am using MS project server 2003 & project professional 2003 . Thanks,Ratnadeep Ratnadeep -- Unfortunately in Project Server 2003, there is no way for team members to see that days are marked as non...

misplaced .PST and .PAB files
hi all: we are running XP and Outlook 2002... I opened my Outlook and my emails and address book is gone. I have located my personal file and address book and these files are not where they are suppose to be located. For instance, my PST file is in "My Documents". Can anybody tell me the path that I need to re-place these files (if it is as simple as that... i.e.- C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator....) Thanks in advance for any assistance !! Sincerely, RossJ Just leave the file where it is, then use File->Open->Personal Folders file and navigate to the locati...

Excel Creating Temporary File After Saving
I have one user in the office when they save there excel document it creates a *.tmp file in the current file folder. Now I checked - Select Tools|General Option and put a check against the Always Create Backup box before you save the file. But that is not it. The file created is something like this. dhti4345$0buget200243~.tmp IF anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated. I also looked into editing the registry and increasing the cache size but I would prefer not to do that. thanks again It sounds more like a result of your antivirus program. If you disable that AV program ...

How do you get back to the "factory default view"
Gurus, In the Outlook main Inbox, you can customize message with preview panes, autopreview, column widths, font size, gridlines or no gridlines, and of course whole host of things. But if you messed things up to the point where you would just like to get back to the "factory default view" so to speak, what would you do? Outlook.exe /cleanviews does not accomplish this for me. -- Spin cleanviews or just resetting the view should do it. What isn't getting reset with cleanviews? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need He...

Access Default File Format
All of our users are running Access XP. The default file format is Access 2000, so every new database created uses this format. We need to change 50 users options so that new databases are created in Access 2002 format. I haven't found an easy way to automate this or script it. It appears to be user specific and not machine specific. Can anyone help? Take a look at this article from the MSDN library. It is for A2K but there may be a newer version or this one might give you enough info to find the specific setting you need. Setting Global Options Programmatically in Access 2000 http...

Misplaced hyphens
I just started using Publisher 2007 and am having trouble with hyphenated terms such as low-fare, Spanish-language, self-service, etc. When the first word appears at the end of a line, the hyphen ends up at the beginning of the next line. This didn't happen in the 2003 version. Does anyone know how to make the hyphens stay on the same line as the first word in the hyphenated term? Thanks ... I don't think you can control this, a lot depends how much space is needed to complete the hyphenated words. If you come to the end of a line and only self- fits, service will have to be o...