Microsoft Word Document 1, Document 2, etc.

Version: 2008
Processor: Power PC

Every time I click on my Word icon in the dock, it automatically opens a new blank document. This drives me crazy! I cannot anywhere in the preferences to turn this off. I don't want a new blank document every time I activate the software. Most of time I want to open a doc already on file, and it gets tedious having to close these unwanted blank docs. Can somebody help me?
0
Seronello1

0
MacD
6/3/2010 10:25:38 PM
I'm using Leopard. I was hoping there was an adjustment I could make to my preferences, but apparently not. Often I wonder if the people who design software ever actually sit down and try to use it for a day. I only recently discovered how to get the keyboard to quit second-guessing what I'm typing into an Excel doc by spitting out a drop-down menu with everything I've ever typed in my life as an option! Honest to God! Fortunately, I was able to turn that &quot;feature&quot; off in preferences. Wish I could do the same with the blank docs in Word. Thanks for commisserating with me.
0
Seronello1
6/3/2010 10:49:51 PM
0
MacD
6/4/2010 4:12:28 AM
Sorry guys, but this is a required behaviour for any "document-centric"
application on the Mac.  The fact that it's the same on the PC makes no
difference: on the Mac, Microsoft does not make the rules, and the rules
require that when you click the icon in the doc, "document-centric"
applications must start with a blank document.

However, if you immediately open a new document without making any change to
the blank, it WILL go away.

If you leave the blank open long enough to fire the AutoRecover, it will
stay.  Or if you have any kind of active field in your template which
updates on open, the new blank will stay.

Hope this helps

On 4/06/10 2:12 PM, in article 59bb9547.2@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"MacD@officeformac.com" <MacD@officeformac.com> wrote:

> This exchange -- from a year ago -- may have some pertinence for your/our
> issue...
>
> http://www.officeformac.com/ms/ProductForums/Word/7394/0>
>
> Except that -- like the guy making the query -- I'm not finding that the blank
> document goes away.

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_
6/4/2010 10:22:03 AM
Use the OS X-intended keystroke of Command+Tab to switch back to Word if
it's already running. Doing so will not cause a new blank document to be
created. The Dock is for launching apps... Each time you click the Dock icon
you are essentially 're-launching' the program which is what generates the
new document if a document window isn't already open.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/3/10 2:56 PM, in article 59bb9547.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Seronello1@officeformac.com" <Seronello1@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC
> Every time I click on my Word icon in the dock, it automatically opens a new
> blank document. This drives me crazy! I cannot anywhere in the preferences to
> turn this off. I don't want a new blank document every time I activate the
> software. Most of time I want to open a doc already on file, and it gets
> tedious having to close these unwanted blank docs. Can somebody help me?

0
CyberTaz
6/4/2010 10:41:39 AM
In article <C82F10EB.C30D%john@mcghie.name>,
 <John_McGhie_[MVP]@officeformac.com> wrote:
>Sorry guys, but this is a required behaviour for any "document-centric"
>application on the Mac.  The fact that it's the same on the PC makes no
>difference: on the Mac, Microsoft does not make the rules, and the rules
>require that when you click the icon in the doc, "document-centric"
>applications must start with a blank document.
>
>However, if you immediately open a new document without making any change to
>the blank, it WILL go away.

Which makes it a lot more convenient than a certain other Mac word
processing program I could mention, where you have to close the
blank document manually... :-)

Patty

0
Patty
6/4/2010 3:04:51 PM
> Use the OS X-intended keystroke of Command+Tab to switch back to Word if <br>
> it's already running. Doing so will not cause a new blank document to be <br>
> created. The Dock is for launching apps... Each time you click the Dock icon <br>
> you are essentially 're-launching' the program which is what generates the <br>
> new document if a document window isn't already open. <br><br>That eliminates one annoyance, thanks. Do you have any insights into why documents occasionally end up being shuffled below the current doc (blank or otherwise) when I call up something from the Open Recent or Open... menu? I haven't detected any pattern -- it seems to happen to docs saved in both .docx and .doc, for instance.
0
MacD
6/5/2010 9:23:27 PM
That works! Thank you so much! It goes back to Word no matter what else I'm using. You're the best!
0
Seronello1
6/5/2010 9:38:56 PM
That one's a little more elusive... Especially since I'm no longer using any
Macs running 10.5.x. The best I can offer is that you make certain that both
OS X & Office are fully updated with disk permissions repaired.

There was an initial conflict with Office windowing in Leopard because of
Apple springing Spaces after indicating that they wouldn't [at least that's
the story I've most commonly heard :-)]. Most of the conflict appears to
have been resolved via updates, but I believe there is still some sporadic
behavior such as you describe. Apparently its occurrence is very
inconsistent, so what can't be reproduced is very difficult to identify &
what they can't identify they can't fix. It seems, however, that it is less
likely to happen if you don't leave Office apps running day to day.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/5/10 5:23 PM, in article 59bb9547.6@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"MacD@officeformac.com" <MacD@officeformac.com> wrote:

>> Use the OS X-intended keystroke of Command+Tab to switch back to Word if
>> it's already running. Doing so will not cause a new blank document to be
>> created. The Dock is for launching apps... Each time you click the Dock icon
>> you are essentially 're-launching' the program which is what generates the
>> new document if a document window isn't already open.
>
> That eliminates one annoyance, thanks. Do you have any insights into why
> documents occasionally end up being shuffled below the current doc (blank or
> otherwise) when I call up something from the Open Recent or Open... menu? I
> haven't detected any pattern -- it seems to happen to docs saved in both .docx
> and .doc, for instance.

0
CyberTaz

microsoft
weghtgh ...

HOw do i start outlook? #2
My outlook doesn't go past the check name screen? what do I do? Presumably it worked before? And the version is? You could try a repair using your Office or Outlook cd "mhabit" <mhabit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E1B2630-9B20-444F-BF65-6B7E41638450@microsoft.com... > My outlook doesn't go past the check name screen? what do I do? The Check Name function is part of a Microsoft Exchange account. Are you trying to connect to a Microsoft Exchange server? Or your ISP? Joe "mhabit" <mhabit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Date change #2
Hi, I have a cell to list when the next payment is due from a client. would like the payment dates to automatically update after the origina payment date is reached. Payments are due every two weeks. Th 'payment due' cell is G17. So if the first payment was due today, the tomorrow G17 would display the date two weeks from today. Thanks fo your help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Assuming you have a valid date in the cell use: =G17+14 You will find some details on Date and Times in Excel on this page: http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelDateandTimes.htm ...

SumIf Question #2
Hi Can anyone tell me if the SumIf function can work with 2 different sets of criteria. eg: A1 = P B1 = M C1 = 20 A2 = P B2 = M C2 = 10 A3 = U B3 = M C2 = 10 I would like a formula to sum the C column numbers based on if the A column returns the letter U and the B column returns the letter M. But return a zero if the A column returns the letter P and the B column returns the letter M. I can get half way there using the SumIf function but I can't get a 2nd criteria in the formula. I run Excel 2000 Any help would be much appreciated =SUMPRODUCT(--(...

Creating Labels Using Word 2002
Please help. Dell tells me that I cannot use the mail merge function in Word 02 with Outlook 02 to create labels. I get stuck after selecting my contact folder with a Data Link Properties box that comes up and prevents me from finishing task. Is Dell correct and/or is there a work- around. Dell is not correct. As long as you have Outlook set up as your default mail and Contacts program and have the Outlook Address Book configured correctly in your default Outlook profile, you can do a mail merge. For an overview of these functions take a look here: http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/pri...

MS Word Fields

Microsoft Promo

Is there an Excel template for a 1-day Tennis American Tournament #2
Am trying to set up one-day American tournament for 28 mixed-doubles' pairs .. Seven groups each of four ranked pairingson seven courts. Is there an Excel or an Access template anywhere for the scheduling of games, league tables etc. ...

Hallo #2
Who can say something about WindowsRightManagementService in Outlook 2003 -- Otto What are you interested in knowing?=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "otto" <otto@litech.net> wrote in message = news:dgf4im$p23$3@ah.litech.net... > Who can say something about WindowsRightManagementService > in Outlook 2003 >=20 &...

Publisher 2007 Beta 2 with pdf add-on
I am a newsletter editor for a very simple monthly newsletter and I am pleased that I can send my letters out in pdf format so eveyone with a computer can read the letter with the Adobe reader. I think I am going to leave well-enough alone and not do anything to jepordize this feature until I can buy the final copy whenever it comes out. Will anything happen automatically to the Beta 2 version of office to prevent me from using the pdf feature in Publisher before the final product hits the streets? I am learning a lot from this discussion group--thanks to all of you. Depends on when...

MS CRM 1.2. Mobile
Is it possible to have the new Microsoft CRM 1.2. Mobile (in the available languages: US English and International English) running on a Spanish Microsoft CRM 1.2. installation??? The customer doesn�t care about having labels and so on in English, but is this technically possible????? Thanks, Chus ------=_NextPart_0001_09683BA1 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Chus, No, with this first release of CRM Mobile, it will only run on either a US English or International English CRM install. It has not been tested on any of the language versions, so it likely we be...

Forward results in 2 copies
One user here forwards e-mail and all recipents receive two copies. Outlook 2000 Exchange 2000 ...

microsoft XL

How do I transfer my Email from Nestscape 7.1 to Outlook 2003
I would like to find a way to transfer my Emails from Netscape 7.1 to Outlook Is thre a way to do this ? Oh this is fun! I have found that it is best to use Netscape Communicator 4.x, then Outlook Express as an intermediary. You could also use Eudora as the stepping stone. Here is an example of how others have done this: http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3832 "Naresh" <Naresh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6966EE9B-7EE5-405B-A1C4-757BC1F5D163@microsoft.com... >I would like to find a way to transfer my Emails from Netscape 7.1 to >Outlook ...

Which version of Microsoft Office #2

RPC Over HTPPS on FE Server with OWA #2
Hi, I have a front end owa server configured as a OWA server using SSL (with a custom made certificate). Can I also utilise this server and the same certificate to make it run rpc over https as well? Thanks in advance. ...

removing the word (blank) from pivot table cells
I generated a pivot table in an excel spreadsheet. Is there any way to instruct excel not to show the word (blank) in blank cells? Thanks Select the cell that contains (blank), and type a space character. Or, if you don't want to include the data for blanks, click the dropdown arrow on the field heading, and remove the check mark from (blank). techman41973@yahoo.com wrote: > I generated a pivot table in an excel spreadsheet. > Is there any way to instruct excel not to show the word (blank) in > blank cells? > Thanks > -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book Li...

virtual keyboard #2
Hi, I thank you for you helkp during my previous message. I think I am not far from solution but I am blocked by the following problem. The goal is to make a virtual numpad to my MFC application (visual C++ 6.0) I have tried to code this: in my dialog box (FORM) where I have field to fill, I have declared a non modal dialog box (NUMPAD) where I have several buttons corresponding to numbers 0 to 9. When the field gets the focus, I show the NUMPAD dialog box and I send it the CWnd pointer to the field. When I press button corresponding to a number , I give the focus to the field and I use ...