Microsoft Word 6.0/95 Documents Not Opening in

Version: 2004
Processor: Intel

0
josephmcross

--B_3342597772_384032

Others will probably chime in. I´┐Żll just point you to
http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html. Look at section 2 (or search
on Hoefler). Evidently this has happened to others.

On 12/2/09 11:06 AM, in article 59badf9e.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"josephmcross@officeformac.com" <josephmcross@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel
> Two recent strange occurrences:
>
> 1)Older documents originally created with Microsoft Word 6.0/95 are not
> opening in Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac (ver. 11.5.6) even though within their
> preview (next column over from actual file/document) it says that the document
> was modified and last opened when the document attempted to open, but actually
> never appeared.
>
> 2)Some kind of font formatting within even newer, recently created Microsoft
> Word 2004 documents has changed. Most documents were created with a Hoefler
> font. Bold words are completely gone or don't appear.
>
> a) If the entire document's font is changed to Palantino for example, all
> bold-formatted words return and document appears normal. I would hate to do
> this with every document.
>
> b) Also when document is opened with older Microsoft 10.1.6, document appears
> normal.
>
> What has happenend? How do I fix these two problems?

--B_3342597772_384032

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Microsoft Word 6.0/95 Documents Not Opening in</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'>Other=
s will probably chime in. I&#8217;ll just point you to <a href=3D"http://www.j=
klstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html.">http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.h=
tml.</a> Look at section 2 (or search on Hoefler). Evidently this has happen=
ed to others.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 12/2/09 11:06 AM, in article 59badf9e.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, &quot;=
josephmcross@officeformac.com&quot; &lt;josephmcross@officeformac.com&gt; wr=
ote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYL=
E=3D'font-size:12.0px'>Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leo=
pard) Processor: Intel Two recent strange occurrences: &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
1)Older documents originally created with Microsoft Word 6.0/95 are not ope=
ning in Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac (ver. 11.5.6) even though within their p=
review (next column over from actual file/document) it says that the documen=
t was modified and last opened when the document attempted to open, but actu=
ally never appeared. <BR>
<BR>
2)Some kind of font formatting within even newer, recently created Microsof=
t Word 2004 documents has changed. Most documents were created with a Hoefle=
r font. Bold words are completely gone or don't appear. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
a) If the entire document's font is changed to Palantino for example, all b=
old-formatted words return and document appears normal. I would hate to do t=
his with every document. &nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
b) Also when document is opened with older Microsoft 10.1.6, document appea=
rs normal. <BR>
<BR>
What has happenend? How do I fix these two problems?<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STY=
LE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3342597772_384032--

0
Andrea
12/2/2009 5:22:50 PM
I think you have two problems here:

1)  Missing updates, and
2)  An outdated font.

First, check that you have the latest updates from both Apple and Microsoft
applied.

There was a security fix applied that prevents those very old file formats
from opening directly on a double-click from the Finder, because the bad
guys can hide malware in the document code that cannot be easily found.  If
this is the problem, use File>Open from within Word, and the document will
open straight up.

If you apply the latest updates, the issue should go away: instead you will
see a warning dialog alerting you that the file is an old version that may
not be safe.  When you get it open, re-save it in the current version file
format (.doc) so you don't get the problem next time.

The second issue is likely to be because you have not Resolved Duplicates in
FontBook since you installed OS 10.6.  If you migrated or upgraded to 10.6,
chances are you have multiple versions of some fonts on the system.

Open FontBook, select All Fonts, then Resolve Duplicates, otherwise Word
will play up quite frequently.

Hoeffler Text should be version 6.1d7e1 created 16 October 2009.  If you
have a very old non-Unicode version, it won't work properly in later
versions of Word.  But chances are, you just have two different copies: get
rid of all but the latest one.

Hope this helps

On 3/12/09 4:06 AM, in article 59badf9e.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"josephmcross@officeformac.com" <josephmcross@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel
> Two recent strange occurrences:
>
> 1)Older documents originally created with Microsoft Word 6.0/95 are not
> opening in Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac (ver. 11.5.6) even though within their
> preview (next column over from actual file/document) it says that the document
> was modified and last opened when the document attempted to open, but actually
> never appeared.
>
> 2)Some kind of font formatting within even newer, recently created Microsoft
> Word 2004 documents has changed. Most documents were created with a Hoefler
> font. Bold words are completely gone or don't appear.
>
> a) If the entire document's font is changed to Palantino for example, all
> bold-formatted words return and document appears normal. I would hate to do
> this with every document.
>
> b) Also when document is opened with older Microsoft 10.1.6, document appears
> normal.
>
> What has happenend? How do I fix these two problems?

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
12/3/2009 2:31:00 PM
> [...]
> applied. <br>
> There was a security fix applied that prevents those very old file formats <br>
> from opening directly on a double-click from the Finder, because the bad <br>
> guys can hide malware in the document code that cannot be easily found.  If <br>
> this is the problem, use File>Open from within Word, and the document will <br>
> open straight up. <br>
> If you apply the latest updates, the issue should go away: instead you will <br>
> see a warning dialog alerting you that the file is an old version that may <br>
> not be safe.  When you get it open, re-save it in the current version file <br>
> format (.doc) so you don't get the problem next time. <br>
> The second issue is likely to be because you have not Resolved Duplicates in <br>
> FontBook since you installed OS 10.6.  If you migrated or upgraded to 10.6, <br>
> chances are you have multiple versions of some fonts on the system. <br>
> Open FontBook, select All Fonts, then Resolve Duplicates, otherwise Word <br>
> will play up quite frequently. <br>
> Hoeffler Text should be version 6.1d7e1 created 16 October 2009.  If you <br>
> have a very old non-Unicode version, it won't work properly in later <br>
> versions of Word.  But chances are, you just have two different copies: get <br>
> rid of all but the latest one. <br>
> Hope this helps <br>
> On 3/12/09 4:06 AM, in article 59badf9e.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;josephmcross@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <br>
> > Two recent strange occurrences: <br>
> > 1)Older documents originally created with Microsoft Word 6.0/95 are not <br>
> > opening in Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac (ver. 11.5.6) even though within their <br>
> > preview (next column over from actual file/document) it says that the document <br>
> > was modified and last opened when the document attempted to open, but actually <br>
> > never appeared.  <br>
> > 2)Some kind of font formatting within even newer, recently created Microsoft <br>
> > Word 2004 documents has changed. Most documents were created with a Hoefler <br>
> > font. Bold words are completely gone or don't appear. <br>
> > a) If the entire document's font is changed to Palantino for example, all <br>
> > bold-formatted words return and document appears normal. I would hate to do <br>
> > this with every document. <br>
> > b) Also when document is opened with older Microsoft 10.1.6, document appears <br>
> > normal.  <br>
> > What has happenend? How do I fix these two problems? <br>
>  -- <br>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay! <br>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer, <br>
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd <br>
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 <br>

0
josephmcross
12/3/2009 5:05:35 PM
> [...]
> > > Word 2004 documents has changed. Most documents were created with a Hoefler <br>
> > > font. Bold words are completely gone or don't appear. <br>
> > > a) If the entire document's font is changed to Palantino for example, all <br>
> > > bold-formatted words return and document appears normal. I would hate to do <br>
> > > this with every document. <br>
> > > b) Also when document is opened with older Microsoft 10.1.6, document appears <br>
> > > normal.  <br>
> > > What has happenend? How do I fix these two problems? <br>
> >  -- <br>
> > The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> > matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay! <br>
> > John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer, <br>
> > McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd <br>
> > Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 <br>

12/3/2009 7:18:02 PM
Hi Joseph:

It may be that those files are simply "too old".

There are five Microsoft Word document formats:

*  Word 1 and 2

*  Word 4, 5, 6 for DOS

*  Word 4, 5, 6 and Word 95 for Windows/Mac

*  Word 97, 98, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 for Windows/Mac

*  Word 2007/2008 for Windows/Mac.

The first two are simply "too old", Microsoft Word on the Mac can no longer
read them.  Use File>Open and set "Enable" top "Recover text from any file".
That will get the text out, with no formatting: that's the bets you can do.

The third one is the "dangerous" format.  Word can still read it, but it
will either refuse to open it, or warn you about it, depending on whether
you have the latest service pack or not.

The fourth one is the "Word .doc Binary" format.  That's Word 2004's native
format.

The last one is the "Word .docx XML" format.  That's the native format for
Word 2008.  Word 2004 can read and write to it, but you must download the
converter from Microsoft's Mactopia website.

Hope this helps

On 4/12/09 6:18 AM, in article 59badf9e.3@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"josephmcross@officeformac.com" <josephmcross@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Okay, allow me to make a correction...Some older Word 6.0/95 files are opening
> fine, and some files that I can't imagine I have resaved in newer Word
> versions.
>
> I think I have reduced the problem to two sets of files, one with about a
> hundred documents and another with about twenty documents, both important...so
> far.
>
>> 1) The font resolution fix worked. Thanks.
>>
>> 2) But my old Word 6.0/95 files are still not opening even when I use the
>> open command in the finder of Word 2004 11.5.6.
>>
>> 2a) Also an older version of Word 10.1.6 also does not open the older files
>> either.
>>
>> 3) I have the latest updates...both for Mac OS 10.6.2 and Word 2004 11.5.6.
>>
>>> I think you have two problems here:
>>>
>>> 1)  Missing updates, and
>>> 2)  An outdated font.
>>>
>>> First, check that you have the latest updates from both Apple and Microsoft
>>> applied.
>>>
>>> There was a security fix applied that prevents those very old file formats
>>> from opening directly on a double-click from the Finder, because the bad
>>> guys can hide malware in the document code that cannot be easily found.  If
>>> this is the problem, use File>Open from within Word, and the document will
>>> open straight up.
>>>
>>> If you apply the latest updates, the issue should go away: instead you will
>>> see a warning dialog alerting you that the file is an old version that may
>>> not be safe.  When you get it open, re-save it in the current version file
>>> format (.doc) so you don't get the problem next time.
>>>
>>> The second issue is likely to be because you have not Resolved Duplicates in
>>> FontBook since you installed OS 10.6.  If you migrated or upgraded to 10.6,
>>> chances are you have multiple versions of some fonts on the system.
>>>
>>> Open FontBook, select All Fonts, then Resolve Duplicates, otherwise Word
>>> will play up quite frequently.
>>>
>>> Hoeffler Text should be version 6.1d7e1 created 16 October 2009.  If you
>>> have a very old non-Unicode version, it won't work properly in later
>>> versions of Word.  But chances are, you just have two different copies: get
>>> rid of all but the latest one.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps

>>>  --
>>>
>>> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>>> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>>>
>>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
>>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
>>> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
>>> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John

outlook cannot open
No answers to this one yet. It tries to open but then closes, any ideas? Phil -- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 9257 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now! Outlook version? Email environment (Exchange, POP3, etc.)? Error messages, numbers? Have you created your profile? If so, have you tried to delete and recreate your profile? Have taken any other troubleshooting steps? -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ O...

microsoft
weghtgh ...

Address List #6
Hi All In exchange 2000 I have 4 store Store 1 - 2 databases Store 2 - 1 database. I have students on store 2 and staff on store 1 split between 2 databases. How can I get users on store 1 from both darabases to show up in a custom address list I've created, it seem I can only show users from one database not both. Everone show on the GAL fine any idea wayne Inline. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "WB" <wmb2003@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message news:ulJXP$QSGHA.5736@TK2MSFTNGP10.ph...

how to pass a password to crystal report 9.0 from vb6.0??!
Is there any way passing a password to crystal report 9.0 from Visual Basic 6.0. so that when loading the report in vb6.0., it can connect to the database access file and show the report? Thanks a lot. No idea. But I use this in VB.Net to do it: Public Sub SetConnectionForReports(ByVal ReportDoc As ReportDocument) Dim crTable As Table Dim crTables As Tables Dim crDatabase As Database Dim crTableLogOnInfo As TableLogOnInfo Dim crConnectionInfo As New ConnectionInfo Try crDatabase = ReportDoc.Database crTables = crDatabase.Tables With crConnecti...

Opening Publisher #5
I have no clue what I have done. When I open Publisher the Windows Installer window appears and then ask for me to insert my microsoft cd. Nothing happens and it cannot retrieve the informaton it is looking. When I open a Publisher file it opens but the information is not what it is suppose to be. What version Publisher? Do you have the Publisher CD? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "emims" <emims@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE99AA17-691D-4471-8CC5-20ACCFE692D4@microsoft.com....

Money 2005 #6
Do we have a confirmed ship date for Money 2005. I have heard many different date batted around. Anything confirmed? Amazon says it will be released on 13th Sept (at least it's not Friday 13th!) -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback "frankie" <fastigers@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:d5reh09imp34eh2fqajkae3fu8o24il4mh@...

Meeting Requests #6
When sending a meeting request from Outlook 2003 too 2000 it comes through in this format instead of the nice graphical format with the accept buttons etc. Is there away around this From: User [mailto:Outlook 2003 User] On Behalf Of Meetings Calendar Sent: 20 August 2007 09:37 To: 2000 user Subject: test When: 20 August 2007 08:00-08:30 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London. *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* as requested Any ideas why or is it due to version? Make sure you send it in Rich Text Format. That should make it travel in a format that both machines should int...

Deleting records in CRM 4.0
Hi, One of my major issues with CRM is the inability to delete records. We have a development setup and hence now have lots of 'test' data that is clogging up the system and needs to be removed. We have Contract Templates and Contracts that need to be deleted but I am unable to find a way of doing this. I find it unreasonable that once you have saved a Contract Template you can no longer edit it, so if you made a mistake you have to delete it and re-create it, unfortunately if you have applied it to a Contract first and then made that Contract Active before you spotted your mistake yo...

Creating Labels Using Word 2002
Please help. Dell tells me that I cannot use the mail merge function in Word 02 with Outlook 02 to create labels. I get stuck after selecting my contact folder with a Data Link Properties box that comes up and prevents me from finishing task. Is Dell correct and/or is there a work- around. Dell is not correct. As long as you have Outlook set up as your default mail and Contacts program and have the Outlook Address Book configured correctly in your default Outlook profile, you can do a mail merge. For an overview of these functions take a look here: http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/pri...

MS Word Fields

Cannot access mine CRM (3.0) Contacts from Outlook 2003 Address Book
I have imported over 700 contacts into CRM (3.0). I have installed the CRM using Outlook 2003 client. When I look in my Address book in the Show names from list, I can see the CRM contacts option but I get an information message. Message reads "The Address list could not be displayed. The action could not be completed". What do I need to do to have my CRM contacts accessable from Outlook for addressing mail? ...

Microsoft Promo

microsoft XL

Q: Vc6.0 doesn't re-compile source automatically
With Vc6.0, if source or resource is modified, it doesn't re-compile the changed file. the output exe file is older version. Only after switching between debug and release, the modified result is showed in the exe file. I have tried several other project and reinstall vc, the problem above occurs only in this project. I guess this project setting is error. may anyone offer suggestion on this? Best Regards, lomas I would begin with recompiling all. It should clean all files from Debug/Release folders. It should work automatically the way you want it. --- Ajay "lomas" <...

Outlook not allowing jpg file to be saved or opened
How do I overcome the error "cannot save URL to file" when trying to save a jpg attachment? Try clearing your IE cache - John wrote: > How do I overcome the error "cannot save URL to file" > when trying to save a jpg attachment? ...

Problem installation CRM 3.0
Hi, While installating CRM 3.0 I get half way through installing and it come up with this error: Action Microsoft.CRM.Setup.Server.CreateSetupUserAction failed. Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004415D I have looked through other posts on this but none of the 'workarounds' fix it. I have had a previous installation of which I would like to keep the data for but have uninstallated and am now trying to re-install, I have also removed the license from the dbo.License table. I only had the first installation for one month, so should still have another 2 months left of the trial. Please...

Which version of Microsoft Office #2

removing the word (blank) from pivot table cells
I generated a pivot table in an excel spreadsheet. Is there any way to instruct excel not to show the word (blank) in blank cells? Thanks Select the cell that contains (blank), and type a space character. Or, if you don't want to include the data for blanks, click the dropdown arrow on the field heading, and remove the check mark from (blank). techman41973@yahoo.com wrote: > I generated a pivot table in an excel spreadsheet. > Is there any way to instruct excel not to show the word (blank) in > blank cells? > Thanks > -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book Li...