Merging Files into a single PDF

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I have installed Office Mac 2008, Home & Student Edition, on a new Mac desktop computer along with Acrobat 9 Pro for Mac OS. In Acrobat, combine files, into a single pdf�word .doc and .docx files are not recognized for one step selection, conversion and merger. They must be converted to pdf first and one at a time. Acrobat can only combine and merge pdf's and many other file types but not Word. Adobe tells me that Office 2008 for Mac does not include a macro the allows for the select, convert and merge one step process feature that I had with office XP and Acrobat 8 standard on my old PC. Is this correct and is there a fix?
0
Ron_Mac

I don't understand what you are asking for.

To assemble a PDF that holds the contents from files of other types, it
is necessary to first create PDF's from those other types, e.g.

DOCX => PDF
DOC => PDF
XLS => PDF
PPT => PDF

Then you use tool to combine those PDF's into a big PDF. The best (and
most expensive) tool is Adobe Acrobat (not Adobe Reader).  It will
handle the converted files. It can't and won't import DOC or other files.

If you don't have Adobe Acrobat, then you can use Preview which is
included with OS X.  Searching Google for "mac combine pdf" finds the
article:
http://www.macworld.com/article/143023/2009/09/combine_pdf_snow_leopard.html

There are also discussions seen on this Google search list how to
automate the process. I've never tried that.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 08/05/10 02:50, Ron_Mac@officeformac.com wrote:
> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
> Intel I have installed Office Mac 2008, Home & Student Edition, on a new
> Mac desktop computer along with Acrobat 9 Pro for Mac OS. In Acrobat,
> combine files, into a single pdf�word .doc and .docx files are not
> recognized for one step selection, conversion and merger. They must be
> converted to pdf first and one at a time. Acrobat can only combine and
> merge pdf's and many other file types but not Word. Adobe tells me that
> Office 2008 for Mac does not include a macro the allows for the select,
> convert and merge one step process feature that I had with office XP and
> Acrobat 8 standard on my old PC. Is this correct and is there a fix?
0
Rob
5/8/2010 6:55:05 AM
Hi Ron;

I don't claim to definitively *know* the answer, but let's think this
through logically :-) Once a file has been created & saved, what impact
could the creating app (Word) have over what another app (Acrobat) does with
that file? If what Adobe told you is true what you describe wouldn't even be
possible on a Windows system unless Word were installed. What is true is
that there is no Adobe Toolbar in Office 2008 due to the lack of VBA which
prevents triggering the process from within Word. Acrobat should still be
able to do its own thing as a stand-alone app, but it can't. And if that's
the fact, why doesn't it work with Word 2004 installed which *does* support
VBA/macros?

Now for the subjective comments :-) Adobe is blowing smoke just like most
other developers. The common perception is that Apple, MS & Adobe all play
the 'blame game', & to a certain extent that is true. They work together for
the most part, but there comes a time where one or the other starts to be
more cognizant of the bottom line. At that point a decision is made to stay
within budget, stay on schedule or whatever [the conspiracy theorists will
tell you that it's just plain spite]. The net result is that Acrobat for
Windows & Acrobat for Mac lack feature parity just as the MS products do.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/7/10 9:50 PM, in article 59bb8281.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Ron_Mac@officeformac.com" <Ron_Mac@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I have installed Office Mac 2008, Home & Student Edition, on a new Mac desktop
> computer along with Acrobat 9 Pro for Mac OS. In Acrobat, combine files, into
> a single pdf�word .doc and .docx files are not recognized for one step
> selection, conversion and merger. They must be converted to pdf first and one
> at a time. Acrobat can only combine and merge pdf's and many other file types
> but not Word. Adobe tells me that Office 2008 for Mac does not include a macro
> the allows for the select, convert and merge one step process feature that I
> had with office XP and Acrobat 8 standard on my old PC. Is this correct and is
> there a fix?

0
CyberTaz
5/8/2010 1:36:21 PM
Once you create individual pdf go into Acrobat and go to open first PDF. Go to Document menu. Choose Insert Pages. Choose one of the other documents and choose After. THen repeat the process until you get the PDF assembled. Then save as another PDF. and your done.  <br><br>You might can do the same thing in PDFPen I haven't tried yet.
0
pjonesCET
5/8/2010 2:21:04 PM
0
Ron_Mac
5/8/2010 10:45:55 PM
Hi Ron:

You will find that Flash is not the only reason Apple and Adobe don't like
each other.

Acrobat is also crippled in Mac Office.  It's Adobe's fault: they were too
lazy to change their code to AppleScript when Microsoft dropped VBA from
Word.

Now that VBA is coming back to Office 2011, I guess Adobe has won...

Cheers

On 9/05/10 8:45 AM, in article 59bb8281.3@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Ron_Mac@officeformac.com" <Ron_Mac@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your thoughts. Some of you are missing the issue however. In a PC
> running Windows XP and Acrobat 8 Standard, the command in Acrobat to "merge
> files" into a "single PDF," is single seamless process. You select files of
> all types and they list in the "merge" window. Then with a single click
> "create" Acrpbat converts all file types to PDF (if they are not already a
> PDF) and merges them. This is not an essential feature but sure is a nice
> tool. You don;t have to first convert/save DOC and DOCX files to PDF and then
> use the "merge" tool.
>
> The workaround of pjonesCET is a nice approach but if the first pages are
> Word, you do have to convert it, etc.
>
> Ron Mac

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
5/9/2010 12:42:44 AM
I understand the issue you now refer to.  Yes, Adobe's "Adobe Acrobat"
working on Windows is better in many ways than their Mac version; hence,
I use the Windows version exclusively whenever I have to work on PDF files.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 08/05/10 23:45, Ron_Mac@officeformac.com wrote:
> Thanks for your thoughts. Some of you are missing the issue however. In
> a PC running Windows XP and Acrobat 8 Standard, the command in Acrobat
> to "merge files" into a "single PDF," is single seamless process. You
> select files of all types and they list in the "merge" window. Then with
> a single click "create" Acrpbat converts all file types to PDF (if they
> are not already a PDF) and merges them. This is not an essential feature
> but sure is a nice tool. You don;t have to first convert/save DOC and
> DOCX files to PDF and then use the "merge" tool.
>
> The workaround of pjonesCET is a nice approach but if the first pages
> are Word, you do have to convert it, etc.
>
> Ron Mac
0
Rob
5/9/2010 7:06:36 AM
In Mac Version go to Document menu > Insert pages > locate pages to
merge.  Then if they are out of order, or you want to re arrange them.
Just drag and drop them in desires order. you do that by grabbing the
thumbnail view of the page desired to move and move it to position you
want, and let go the mouse.

To add items when you get into the insert pages menu choose to insert
before or after.

To me its not that complicated.

Are there disadvantages in the Mac version. 1) links for bookmarks, URLs
and mailto's, don't come come over That is an Adobe defect. I recently
download a PDF Utility from CUPS that bring these over just fine.

2) they have a 15 year old problem of if any word document has section
breaks and page breaks will create another PDF at each section or Page
Break. Additional PDF's created by Page breaks are cured by using the
Converter included with Word2008. (except when an Item has changed page
orientation). Sections breaks haven't been cured.

3) Only the PC version is capable of creating XML Based PDF's

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:pjones1@kimbanet.com

merging
Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is a certificate) and then merge the desired information from a select querry in access? Hi Tina (sttpreston@clyde.k12.oh.us), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is || a certificate) and then merge the desired information from || a select querry in access? Yes, you can. Which version of Publisher and Windows are you using? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" wit...

Outlook 2003 PRF File
Hi, Does anyone know if it is possible to set-up multiple profiles in a PRF files. We have a document management product that required a second profile in order to interact and so when Outlook is started we would like it to set-up the user profile and this additional profile, so 2 profiles. I know that you can set-up multiple services but we would like to have multiple profiles. Thanks, -- Jonathan Thomas Hampshire County Council Each PRF file can set up only one profile, and Outlook can process only one PRF file per Outlook session. Therefore, you can do this, but it will require ...

.wav file issue
Greetings all: I created a small PowerPoint 2007 .pps file and in it is a 17mb .wav file. My intent is to attach the file to an email and send it to someone. I published the .pps to a folder then sent a test email to a 3rd party system, attaching the .pps file that then resided in the created folder. The works fine on my system, but does not play in the test system. I've received scores of .pps files in emails and sound plays. What am I missing? Thank you. "pinger" <pinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33009843-0AF8-436E-988A-9D...

Message Tracking log file
Why are the client-ip and Client-hostname fields blank or contain the Exchange server IP/host name instead of the client information? I have 3 exchange servers, and they all are like that. I am trying to find out whether a message was generated by or user or a virus. Thanks If you're using MAPI, you're not sending SMTP from the client. If you want those populated I'd think you'd have to switch to the less functional IMAP and send via SMTP. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "PE" <PE@discussions.micro...

Merge same transaction
I've had transactions that I've placed in my register with detailed info in the memo area only to have the same exact transaction download with no info and unrecognized as the same transaction. Traditionally I've copied and pasted the info into the downloaded transaction and then deleted my transaction. This is a real PAIN... Is there a way to tell Money that these two separate transactions are the SAME transaction and then have it merge them? It works exactly as intended when Money recognizes the transaction that's already in the register and then merges them beautiful...

how to combine multiple versions of single spreadsheet?
Well, the doomsday scenario has happened - two colleagues working on the same spreadsheet fail to communicate. Each has updated a project tracking sheet at the same time so we now have two new versions. Is there a way of Excel combining the latest data out of each sheet? To clarify: Person X opens spreadsheet version A to update and creates version B Person Y opens spreadsheet version A to update and creates version C There is a lot of work entailed in updating the sheets but luckily persons X and Y have their own projects so they do not update the same information. Is there a way to c...

Some JPG files cannot be open after Security Update for Outlook.
Just recently some of the users cannot open some JPG files. After some testing when file was saved through Outlook the size increased by ~30 KB and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer wasn't able to open the file. When files was saved through OWA Windows Picture and Fax Viewer could open the file fine. Tried to disable antivirus on outlook, server and nothing helped. Eventually uninstalling "Security Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (KB945432)" fixed the problem. Since then if the file is saved through Outlook it opens fine. Anybody experiencing this problem as well? Is there...

Opening a pst file with Outlook...
I sent home my contacts from outlook at work to my home here. The file is contacts.pst which is 761 KB. I went to outlook and clicked "file" "open" then "open data file" but my contacts are not showing. It brings me to a blank page. Does anyone know or have any idea where the contacts may have gone. I need these fiels ASAP as I am now working from home. If you can help please respond or call my cell at 630.532.1773 It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Shaun How did you create this PST? It's too small to contain much data. If you opened it and they...

Closing Outlook in a .bat file...?
Hi, Can I force Outlook to close in a DOS .bat file so I can then invoke the backup of the .pst database in the same .bat...? Thanks... -- Susan "Tiscali" <kegler@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:42d0ef53$1_3@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com... > Hi, > > Can I force Outlook to close in a DOS .bat file so I can then invoke the > backup of the .pst database in the same .bat...? > Yes, but two caveats: 1) The tool you use may depend on your version of Windows 2) Unless you take very special measures (keystroke pushing to answer dialogs) ...

Shared excel file dissapears
We use a shared excel 2000 xls file shared on a w2k server as a production log. we now have about 30 users with about 12 users constantly editing. As we add more users the dissapearances seem to mount up. we are at about 2 a day now. I was wondering what the max amount vs the recommended amount of simultaneous users are. Are there any known issues which would cause excel to mysteriously vanish?? thanks cr -- http://QLiner.com It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried. - Winston Churchill ...

.csv file
I am creating a .csv file which includes bank account numbers. Some of them include zeroes at the beginning but even if I format the column as text, the zeroes keep disappearing. Is there a way to keep the zeroes at the beginning of each cell? I am on Windows XP Professional and running Excel 2003 SP2. Thanks, Katherine How are you checking for the leading 0's? Are you opening the .csv file in NotePad? Or are you reimporting the file into excel? Try opening in NotePad to check. BCK57 wrote: > > I am creating a .csv file which includes bank account numbers. Some of them ...

Outlook 2010
In Outlook 2003 I had one .pst file with all contacts inside, but used 3 email accounts with no automatic rules for mail delivery. I manually put the emails down in it's respective archive.pst files and want it done this way. In Outlook 2010 when using several email accounts, it's automatically established one .pst file for each email account where the respective email drops into. Is there a way to have it all into one "Personal Folder" (the old way)? (I want to send emails were sender account is the only on showing as sender and not any "sent on behalf ...

Pasting picture files to Excel
Whenever I paste ia jpg picture nto Excel (or Word for that matter), I get only 3 choices (bitmap, metafile (bigger than bitmap), and photoediting (bigger than both)) . My question is, is there anyway to paste in a picture to an Excel file, but keeping it compressed as a jpeg file, this way the excel file size doesn't grow by leaps and bounds? Thanks. Matt: Since Excel has the ability of editing a picture, the software has to limit its pictures to those formats that MS has editing tools to work with. That's why you can't easily set up JPG or GIF pictures as embedde...

Excel "file is already open"
Whenever I open a '.xls' workbook from outside Excel (such as from Windows Explorer), Excel indicates that the file is already open - although, once I click OK, I seem to be able to work with the file normally. The same file will open fine from within Excel. I am using Excel 97 on an XP-Home machine. Can you explain why I may be getting this message, and how I might correct for it? The FAQ at Debra Dalgleish's site might give the solution: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen John McFadden wrote: > > Whenever I open a '.xls' workbook from ...

Merging 2 Companies into 1
Are there any guidelines or outline for what tables you need to look at to gather the various information you need in order to merge 2 companies together as well as issues to consider when undertaking such a project? It is a project and a half. I got approval from a major client yesterday to proceed with just this project. You literally need to look at all of them! I understand that MS Professional Services will do this project for you. In my case the client cannot be down and has too many 3rd party products for us to pass it off. When does your project need to be completed? -- Ri...

Accessing two tables from a single mfc application
Hi, I need to know how to access two tables using a single mfc(vc++) application. I also need to know how to extract data from a table using an mfc application using a primary key in a table.It is very important that I get answers for these two questions as this is part of my final year college project and I have very little time to complete this. Please Help! Thanks, Satish. "Satish Chandrasekar" <yourdisplayname@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0D7EC0A-18C3-4375-B5A5-AFDB1AB2F577@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I need to know how to access two tab...

Mass Re-linking of Broken Excel 2000 and 2003 Files
We are moving customer files to a different server and have several individuals who have MANY linked Excel 2000 and 2003 files to other Excel files. I am getting pressure from some individuals on finding a tool to re-link moved files more easily than on a one-by-one basis when they are opened. Does anyone know of anything like this? Have a look in Help at Worbook.ChangeLink HTH -- AP "Lynn" <Lynn@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 88648722-5AC2-4C38-8536-ED7A405F095E@microsoft.com... > We are moving customer files to a different server and...

Word mail merge

Win32 DLL def file question
Hi How can we export Win32 dll functions for dynamically LoadLibrary and GetProceeAddress ? I see VS MFC DLL project has a def file but Win32 DLL does not have one, should we add a def file to VS Win32 DLL project , how can I do that ? Thank you . This will be helpful: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d91k01sh(VS.80).aspx -- Ajay "Kid" <Kid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBBF8564-3F78-4808-B826-A0186AB29CCC@microsoft.com... > Hi > > How can we export Win32 dll functions for dynamically LoadLibrary and > GetProceeAddress ? > &...

mail merge/merging 2 address lists...
Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different in each and some the same. Thank you. Robin Hi Robin (vicary@kconline.com.NOSPAM), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? || I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all || the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different || in each and some the same. No, you cannot. You nee...

Create filtered dataset from XML file?
I need to create a Dataset and datatable from an XML file. The only way I know how to make a Dataset and Datatable, is by using an Access database as my datastore: You know, the usual thing in all the books; an OleDbDataAdapter, with a SQL string and connection. How can I do this using an XML file instead of an Access table? I know I can convert an XML file straight into a Dataset. But the dataset always contains ALL the info from the XML file. I want the dataset to be filtered by using some sort of query. A couple years ago I hurt my brain figuring out Xpath. Boy, i'm just not mea...

Updating Excel Files
I am a novice user of excel and need a little help. I am using spreadsheet to update my websites inventory levels. I receive a inventory update file from my supplier once a day. The problem is don't sell all of the items in that file. eg My File 1 ---- Suppliers File BDDTTH ---- 100001 BDGBB ---- 100011 BDGCJ ---- 1099211 BDGJCS ---- BDGJCS BDGJGL ---- BDJGL BDLB-BD38 ---- BDDTH What I need to do is compare the part numbers and if I get a matc update the inv...

Single logon for AD and mailbox
Hi All, I have ADC with Exchange loaded, my maximum users they use any machine in the network, and complaining that "why we need to configure our profile in outlook everytime" anyone knows how to configure it by using GPO or i need to purchase any third party software. My need is any user in the network, if users move to any machine and logon to network by using his/her user name and password need not to configure his/her profile for outlook it should come automatically. do i need to make user and raoming profile!!!!!!!!! they dont want to use OWA. Regards thanx Roaming ...

Can I save application as .exe file
I have created several successful Access applications in the past. I need an application that can be maintained on several different computers which may not all have MS Office installed. Can I put the complete database on a CD so different people can update the data? I guess that this means the application would have to be a .exe file and maybe use CD-RW CDs so it can be written to on different computers. Really Gone There's never been an ability to create an executable from an Access database, and I wouldn't expect there ever to be such a capability. Take a look a...

merge and compare
We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. Is there any hope??? jimired wrote: > We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. > > Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need > to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. > > Is there any hope??? Hi have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/Zips/Compare.ZIP An add-in which compares two worksh...