Making An Outside Border Different From Interior Borders In A Table ?

I'm either have having a bad day or I have been defeated by Word.

I have a table where I want to make the outside border heavier than
the borders dividing the cells internally, as well as separating
groups of cells with a heavier border (for visual clarity).  I simply
cannot find a way of doing this !

Using the various formatting tools simply puts the same weight of
border around all the cells selected, or around an individual cell
selected.  It is not possible to select just one side of a cell and
change the weight of the line to a different one.  Thus, any table
only seems able to have the same weight (and, indeed, colour) of
border throughout.

Can anyone put me out of my misery.  Or is this just a limitation of
Word ?

I am using Word for the Mac 2004, version 11.5.6 (the most up to
date).  Does Word 2008 have this problem (or will it set me free ?!).

I=92m grateful for any help.

Simon
0
Simon

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly, but it sounds like you may
actually be trying to apply more than one border on the same side of the
same cell. AFAIK, you cannot do that in any version of Word, Mac or PC.

The only possibility would be to draw rectangles on top of [or behind] the
table, which would be an absolute nightmare to create & control.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/21/10 6:57 AM, in article
548dd29a-7647-405c-ae96-46e95f04d5cf@u41g2000yqe.googlegroups.com, "Simon
Simpson" <simonjasimpson@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm either have having a bad day or I have been defeated by Word.
>
> I have a table where I want to make the outside border heavier than
> the borders dividing the cells internally, as well as separating
> groups of cells with a heavier border (for visual clarity).  I simply
> cannot find a way of doing this !
>
> Using the various formatting tools simply puts the same weight of
> border around all the cells selected, or around an individual cell
> selected.  It is not possible to select just one side of a cell and
> change the weight of the line to a different one.  Thus, any table
> only seems able to have the same weight (and, indeed, colour) of
> border throughout.
>
> Can anyone put me out of my misery.  Or is this just a limitation of
> Word ?
>
> I am using Word for the Mac 2004, version 11.5.6 (the most up to
> date).  Does Word 2008 have this problem (or will it set me free ?!).
>
> I�m grateful for any help.
>
> Simon

-1
CyberTaz
1/21/2010 5:56:26 PM
On Jan 21, 5:56=A0pm, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
> I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly, but it sounds like you may
> actually be trying to apply more than one border on the same side of the
> same cell. AFAIK, you cannot do that in any version of Word, Mac or PC.
>
> The only possibility would be to draw rectangles on top of [or behind] th=
> table, which would be an absolute nightmare to create & control.
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>
> On 1/21/10 6:57 AM, in article
> 548dd29a-7647-405c-ae96-46e95f04d...@u41g2000yqe.googlegroups.com, "Simon
>
> Simpson" <simonjasimp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I'm either have having a bad day or I have been defeated by Word.
>
> > I have a table where I want to make the outside border heavier than
> > the borders dividing the cells internally, as well as separating
> > groups of cells with a heavier border (for visual clarity). =A0I simply
> > cannot find a way of doing this !
>
> > Using the various formatting tools simply puts the same weight of
> > border around all the cells selected, or around an individual cell
> > selected. =A0It is not possible to select just one side of a cell and
> > change the weight of the line to a different one. =A0Thus, any table
> > only seems able to have the same weight (and, indeed, colour) of
> > border throughout.
>
> > Can anyone put me out of my misery. =A0Or is this just a limitation of
> > Word ?
>
> > I am using Word for the Mac 2004, version 11.5.6 (the most up to
> > date). =A0Does Word 2008 have this problem (or will it set me free ?!).
>
> > I=B9m grateful for any help.
>
> > Simon

No I'm not trying to do as you suggest.  At the simplest level, if you
create a table of only one cell and you decide that you would like to
have thick borders top and bottom and thin borders left and right you
cannot do this as Word will make all the borders of the one cell table
one weight (either thick or thin).

If you then extend this idea to a more complex table with multiple
cells it is nice to have a thick border around the outside of the
entire table whilst thin ones separate the cells within.  Again, this
seems not to be possible since Word will give the whole table and its
cells the same thickness (weight) of border.

It is possible to give different arts of tables different borders in
many other applications but it seems odd that I cannot achieve this in
Word (and I would like to do this in Word).  Thus my initial thought
that I must somehow be stupid !  But perhaps not, perhaps its Word
that=92s not so accommodating as I would like ?
0
Simon
1/21/2010 6:42:32 PM
It's a given fact that adjacent cells share the wall that separates them, so
the right wall of cell "A5" can't be different from the left wall of cell
"B5". Likewise, the cells in the first row can't have a different Top Border
than what you choose for the Top Border of the table, & the cells in the
left column can't have a Left Border that differs from the Left Border of
the table, and so on. With that understanding, however, there is no problem
using different combinations of borders in a Word table.

How are you going about it?

It's best if you turn on the Tables & Borders Toolbar [although most of the
same features are available in the Formatting Palette's Borders & Shading
section]. There are 2 main ingredients that enable getting the job done:

1- Selection of only the cells that need to be formatted a certain way, &

2- Using the correct border button to apply the border of choice, which may
require the use of more than one button (i.e., if you want the border on 2
or 3 walls of the cell).

On the Tables & Borders toolbar there is a button 2 from the right in the
top row for choosing which wall to apply the border to. There's a similar
button labeled Type on the Formatting Palette. If you click the tiny
triangle on the right edge of that button it opens a palette of choices;
Outside, Inside, All, Top, Bottom, Left, Right... even diagonals.

Additionally, you may want to use the Table> Table Properties - Table -
Options button to "Allow spacing between cells". That may or may not be
useful for what you're trying to do. You can also improvise by having an
empty row at the top, merging the cells & adjusting the row height. Do the
same thing with an empty bottom row as well as with 'dummy' first & last
columns. It also gets a bit tricky if you try to merge or split cells
*after* applying borders to them... In fact, you can create empty
rows/columns anywhere in the table you want to & size them so small that
they virtually disappear except for the formatting distinction.

It's true that there are some programs that offer more table customization
flexibility, but most of those I've seen [that are at all reliable] also
weigh in with a price tag roughly triple that of the entire Office suite.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/21/10 1:42 PM, in article
9d816f1a-8423-4707-ad09-9302568aa079@r5g2000yqb.googlegroups.com, "Simon
Simpson" <simonjasimpson@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 21, 5:56?pm, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
>> I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly, but it sounds like you may
>> actually be trying to apply more than one border on the same side of the
>> same cell. AFAIK, you cannot do that in any version of Word, Mac or PC.
>>
>> The only possibility would be to draw rectangles on top of [or behind] the
>> table, which would be an absolute nightmare to create & control.
>>
>> Regards |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>>
>> On 1/21/10 6:57 AM, in article
>> 548dd29a-7647-405c-ae96-46e95f04d...@u41g2000yqe.googlegroups.com, "Simon
>>
>> Simpson" <simonjasimp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm either have having a bad day or I have been defeated by Word.
>>
>>> I have a table where I want to make the outside border heavier than
>>> the borders dividing the cells internally, as well as separating
>>> groups of cells with a heavier border (for visual clarity). ?I simply
>>> cannot find a way of doing this !
>>
>>> Using the various formatting tools simply puts the same weight of
>>> border around all the cells selected, or around an individual cell
>>> selected. ?It is not possible to select just one side of a cell and
>>> change the weight of the line to a different one. ?Thus, any table
>>> only seems able to have the same weight (and, indeed, colour) of
>>> border throughout.
>>
>>> Can anyone put me out of my misery. ?Or is this just a limitation of
>>> Word ?
>>
>>> I am using Word for the Mac 2004, version 11.5.6 (the most up to
>>> date). ?Does Word 2008 have this problem (or will it set me free ?!).
>>
>>> I��m grateful for any help.
>>
>>> Simon
>
> No I'm not trying to do as you suggest.  At the simplest level, if you
> create a table of only one cell and you decide that you would like to
> have thick borders top and bottom and thin borders left and right you
> cannot do this as Word will make all the borders of the one cell table
> one weight (either thick or thin).
>
> If you then extend this idea to a more complex table with multiple
> cells it is nice to have a thick border around the outside of the
> entire table whilst thin ones separate the cells within.  Again, this
> seems not to be possible since Word will give the whole table and its
> cells the same thickness (weight) of border.
>
> It is possible to give different arts of tables different borders in
> many other applications but it seems odd that I cannot achieve this in
> Word (and I would like to do this in Word).  Thus my initial thought
> that I must somehow be stupid !  But perhaps not, perhaps its Word
> that��s not so accommodating as I would like ?

0
CyberTaz
1/21/2010 10:21:53 PM
I recently wanted to set up a Su Doku template, and had the same problem as some of the lines in the table need to be in a heavier line weight than the remainder. I am using Word on a PC.

The answer is to highlight the cells where the top line, say, needs to be thicker. Then open the Borders and Shading palette; select the heavier line width you want to use, say 3pt instead of 1/2pt; on the Preview diagrams click on the top line so that it disappears; then click on the top line again, and it will reappear in the heavier line weight, while the other lines in the cell remain at the original line weight. Click OK to close the palette, and then go through the same procedure to change any other lines.

This worked for me.
1
Stephen

Make Default

print preview is different than whats on the screen.
In page setup I have selected the <blank> option for cell errors & in print preview the cells show & print with no data in them. However when viewing the sheet in normal view the cells have the value #N/A displayed. How can I get rid of #N/A? the VLOOKUP formula I'm using is: =IF((E9>0),G9*E9,VLOOKUP(C9,Pricing!$A$1:$J$5000,7,FALSE)) Thanks in advance for any help, Chris Hill Hi try: =IF(E9>0,G9*E9,IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(C9,Pricing!$A$1:$J$5000,7,FALSE)),"",VLO OKUP(C9,Pricing!$A$1:$J$5000,7,FALSE))) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Hillsy...

making a transfer show up in the budget

Chart on a different sheet
I have numbers on SHEET2 that are all 7 cells apart: A1 A8 A15 A22 etc I want to create a chart on sheet 6 so I have copied the coordinate as such yo shhet 6 =Sheet2!:a1 =sheet2!a8 etc etc Is there a way that this could be done jmucg faster and better as my list is becoming very long. Thanks In Sheet6, Place this in any starting cell, say, in B2: =INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,ROWS($1:1)*7-6) Copy B2 down as far as required. B2 returns the same as: =Sheet2!A1 B3 returns the same as: =Sheet2!A8 and so on -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "pcor" wrote: >...

making tickets

Merging two tables
I have two tables in Access, and want to link each of them to a single table. If I use the File, Get External Data, Link Tables option, it creates two tables that are each linked to a single table. One way of solving this is to do as above, and then merge the two linked tables. How do I merge tables? Do the two tables have the same structure (fields and data types)? If so, you could use an append query to append one table's records to the other. Steve "Steven" wrote: > I have two tables in Access, and want to link each of them to a single table. > > If I use ...

link to the exchange table is missing
We have had several transactions; receiving and AP apply batches (and possibly others) in which the link to the exchange table is missing (in receivings new transactions cannot be saved as the exchange rate can't be found). We have been using GP without incident for a long time & no obvious processes were run prior to this error occurring. I ran Check Links & still receive the error. Is a valid exchange rate listed? They do expire and the parameters of your setup determine how long they are valid. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Docu...

only top border bar graph visible
Hi, Is it possible to show only the top border of a bar graph? If so, how? Cheers, Harold Hi, What exactly do you mean by the top border of a bar graph? You want to collapse the chart down to a line? You can drag the bottom border up until it reaches the top border. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire "mohavv" wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to show only the top border of a bar graph? > If so, how? > > Cheers, > > Harold > ...

external data table sort order
Hi, I am querying a SQL database view to return a table of data in Excel. The view is setup to sort the data they way I need it so my query within excel is literally "select * from MyView". However in Excel 2007 I now get this fancy data table with filter headers that seem to override my views sort order. If I use the filter to sort a column then this is the dominent sort order even if I remove the filter from the table and refresh the data. So how do I retrieve external data in the order it was intended in? Thanks, Matt -- Thanks! ...

Combine Data from Two Tables Options
Our company has two databases, one for international customers and one for US customers. These two table contain the same fields but seperate data (see below). Is there any way I can creat a query to show me all the records? Is this possible Table 1 US Customers CustomerName SalesRep StartDate AAA111 A 01/01/08 BBB222 B 05/01/07 CCC333 C 01/01/07 Table 2 International Customers CustomerName SalesRep StartDate DDD444 ...

AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE $$$

certificate with a border in powerpoint
I am trying to create a simple certificate with a border. I looked thru the online clipart and saw some individual graphics. Is there an easy way to make that into a border? I also saw a couple of templates in the online template library that would work, but I couldnt edit parts of the template... i.e., I only wanted to use their border but couldnt delete some of the existing text in the template to add my own. In article <BC77B45F-F052-4F2D-A700-9726297773CA@microsoft.com>, Sam wrote: > I am trying to create a simple certificate with a border. I looked thru the &...

What is the difference between the levels of the "Create" permissi
Like the title says-- for a Contact record, for example... what's the difference between User level and Org level on "Create"? It's pretty obvious for Delete, Read, Share, etc., but I'm not seeing a difference for Create. Hi, The response to the post "User Access Level for Create Action" should answer you question. While a contact is being created, there is an option to specify the owner of the record. The user to whom the record can be assigned will be determined by the access level on the create privilege. HTH, Niths "Chad Fulda" wrote: &...

Setting up tables for grades
I do not understand why I am not understanding this, but I am trying to set up a form for inputing student grades. There are 13 classes that I need to track grades for (currently) as well as a composite grade. I have a table (tblStudents) with the student information (including [StudentID]), a table (tblCourses) with course names(two fields, one [CourseID], the other [Course]), and a table (tblCourseGrades) to keep track of the grades ([GradeID], [StudentID], [CourseID], [Grade]). I'm thinking I'm understanding relational design and I have the table set-up correct, but...

How to make VLOOKUP work for this

Inserting a formula into a Word Table
How do you insert a multiplication formula in the last cell of a Word Table so that it only multiples the two previous cells, or the is there a way to pick the cells that you want it to use for the formula? Insert a formula field and do the calculations as you would in Excel. For example: { = A1*A2 } would multiply the values in cell A1 and A2. To insert the field delimiters, { }, press Ctrl+F9. Type in the code. Use F9 to update the result. To show/hide field codes in the selection, use Shift+F9. To show/hide field codes in the whole document, use Alt+F9. Note that table calcul...

Make Personal Calendar Read Only

Making a bmp transparent
Using Publisher 2000 Windows 98SE Is it possible to make a graphic file transparent? I'm attempting to create a motivational cartoon and would like to have a couple of scenes in the background. To do this I think I need to make an image file transparent. Can it be done? I have Paint Shop Pro and MS Paint. I have the challenge in the file, "Problem.zip" which can be downloaded at: http://www.tinyurl.com/wifs On the "Odds, Ends & Funny Things page. Click on the Snowman. 'Appreciate the help. -- Don -------- Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of...

Update multiple fields in table from form
access 2003 optCTorSTorGEN is an option group on the main form fWarrantyUnit. If there is a change in the selection of the opt group, I would like 3 fields in the subforms table, set to Null where WarrantyUnitID = strWarrantyUnitID the subform is fWarrantyDetails and is a continuous form so the fields will need to be set for each recordset where WarrantyUnitID = strWarrantyUnitID The fields are optHPorIPorLP, BB1 and BB2 and are all Numeric. Private Sub optCTorSTorGEN_AfterUpdate() strWarrantyUnitID = WarrantyUnitID.Value CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE...