Mail Merge on Word 2004 for Mac

I'm merging data from an Excel Worksheet on to a Word document. The first
line of the address needs to have <Title> <Firstname> <Surname> (with a space
in between each entry) but the Excel Worksheet does not always have an entry
in the title or first name field.

I simply can't work out how to use the rules to ensure that I don't get a
space where there is no data to show. For example, if there is no title in
the data, I currently see a space and then the firstname at the start of the
address.

I've tried a few suggested actions that I've found on-line but my version of
word doesn't seem to display the { } symbols that make things happen!

HELP

Here's a reference to one of our oldest articles (because this is one of our
oldest problems... )  This stuff is not very intuitive.

You need to surround the fields with IF statements that test the values of
the fields.

Hope this helps

On 11/03/10 8:24 AM, in article
6E6A1695-7B32-4BC4-8F09-24A9B6E69CB5@microsoft.com, "sym b" <sym
b@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I'm merging data from an Excel Worksheet on to a Word document. The first
> line of the address needs to have <Title> <Firstname> <Surname> (with a space
> in between each entry) but the Excel Worksheet does not always have an entry
> in the title or first name field.
>
> I simply can't work out how to use the rules to ensure that I don't get a
> space where there is no data to show. For example, if there is no title in
> the data, I currently see a space and then the firstname at the start of the
> address.
>
> I've tried a few suggested actions that I've found on-line but my version of
> word doesn't seem to display the { } symbols that make things happen!
>
> HELP

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

0
John
3/11/2010 6:00:40 AM
 > I've tried a few suggested actions that I've found on-line but my
version of
 > word doesn't seem to display the { } symbols that make things happen!

The keys can be different in Mac Word for one reason and another:

http://word.mvps.org/mac/fieldsinmacword.html

may help.

You can use

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD Title }" <> "" "{ MERGEFIELD Title } "
}{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD Firstname }" <> "" "{ MERGEFIELD Firstname } " }

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 10/03/2010 21:24, sym b wrote:
> I'm merging data from an Excel Worksheet on to a Word document. The first
> line of the address needs to have<Title>  <Firstname>  <Surname>  (with a space
> in between each entry) but the Excel Worksheet does not always have an entry
> in the title or first name field.
>
> I simply can't work out how to use the rules to ensure that I don't get a
> space where there is no data to show. For example, if there is no title in
> the data, I currently see a space and then the firstname at the start of the
> address.
>
> I've tried a few suggested actions that I've found on-line but my version of
> word doesn't seem to display the { } symbols that make things happen!
>
> HELP
0
Peter

re-downloading mail on Outlook 2003
I just upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2003. Using Outlook 97, my wife and I were able to use different computers but share one email account. The same mail was downloaded to each PC one time. Now, the same mail gets downloaded over and over again on each PC. I obviously can choose to delete the mail from the server so that it only gets read once, but then the second PC will never see it. How can I get the same behavior from Outlook 2003 that I used to have? Reading 500 messages every 10 minutes makes the upgrade really unusable. Try creating a new mail profile on each comput...

Way to get Word to go back to 100% zoom when maximized
I do a lot of copying and pasting, and consequently I often shrink a Word doc to 75% or so view, so that I can see the entire page, when the Word window itself has been shrunk to half of my screen (so I can view another doc on the other side of the screen). When I maximize one of the Word windows, the zoom setting remains at 75% until I change it back to 100. Is there a way to get Word to reset the zoom setting, when a document is maximized? I know if this is my biggest problem with Word, I got it made.... I'm just wondering if this can be done. :) BTW--I'm on Word 2003 i...

How do you a mail message to everyone in your mail database
How do you sending a mail message to everyone is your mail database? I have switched internet dial-up links and need to send a message to everyone. -- Michael Felix felix@attglobal.net You can select all items in your Contacts folder (assuming they all have valid e-mail addresses -- if not, set a filter first so that only those with valid e-mail addresses are showing) and then click Actions | New message to contact. Of course, if you have a lot of contacts, your ISP may balk at sending to so many at once -- if so, you'll have to break up the list somehow. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP -...

OL2003 unable to send mail
Hi In OL2003 when I try to send email I get; 'Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. The following recipient(s) could not be reached: .... None of your email accounts could send to this recipient.' The pc is connected to the internet via a router. Other pcs connected to the router can send mail fine. What is the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks Regards Do you require authentication to send email? check with your provider. "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23AzlAxUQFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi ...

2004 Year-End Procedures
Is there any word on when the 2004 Year-End procedures will be available. I'm particularly interested in the Payroll Year-End procedures for Release 7.x because of the new history facilities. I hope that the people that do the year-end procedures take that facility into account and don't just repeat last years procedures because I think the process will be different this year. ------=_NextPart_0001_618C1BAE Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, The Year End Update checklist has been updated for 2004. Please refer to the Knowledge Base article at...

Safe sendershould not go to junk mail
Hi, I have an web application sends email, I found outlook 2003 puts the emails to the junk mail folder if multiple emails were sent within a short period of time, about 1 minute. The initial one was ok went to inbox, while the followings went to junk mail. but if the gap between multiple emails sent time was longer, the problem went away. (each one went to inbox). This only happened for outlook 2003, not for outlook xp. The sender address is in the global address list, with the same domain with all my users. (so I think it qualified as safe sender.) Question: How can I turn off this filt...

multiple e-mails
Usin' Outlook or Outlook Express, for some reason I keep gettin' repeat emails. Somebody can send me one and I get the same message two or three times! What can I do, if anything, to cure this problem? Anybody had the same problem? Please don't tell me I'm the only one that has had this problem... Rayce texican@coastaccess.com ...

In Word 2007 why is a preview not avaiable for My Templates?
I recently upgraded from Office 2003 - In that software there was a place to save a preview of my created templates. These old templates from Office 2003 came over to Office 2007 and I can preview them. I can find no place in Word 2007 to save previews for my new templates - so no preview is available for my newly created templates. Where is this facility located? There is still a "Save preview picture" check box on the Summary tab of the file Properties, which you must access via Office Button | Prepare | Properties | Document Properties | Advanced Properties. You can s...

roadwarrior + principal + multigig e-mail + psts = ???
hi all, here's the deal. we have a principal who travels all the time. she gets an insane amount of legit e-mail with small to large attachments (we cap it at 15 MB, 5 MB is fairly common). her mailbox is capped at 700 MB. this is not enough. we have to archive for her every other month. she has almost 2GBs of PST archives on the network. she wants to have access to them all the time. so we have set up offline files to sync the pst folder. ick. sometimes she'll actually edit the psts on the road and when she gets back she's asked to choose between the network version and her loca...

e-mail #17
Microsoft Outlook does not respond to making it my default for e-mail. I have checked all that I know how to. It is checked as my default under "Other" Tab but it continues to send my e-mail to Outlook Express. Why? What am I doing wrong? Orville Cruea <ocruea@columbus.rr.com> wrote: > Microsoft Outlook does not respond to making it my > default for e-mail. I have checked all that I know how > to. It is checked as my default under "Other" Tab but it > continues to send my e-mail to Outlook Express. Why? What > am I doing wrong? What you are doi...

mails are not going out side of my domain
hi , i have an exchange 2003 (sp1) with windows server 2003(sp1) i have an smtp filter for exchange which filters the mails coming in my exchange server , the scenario is like that , first i have an router then pix firewall and then smtp filter then my exchange comes ,he domain controller and exchnage are on same machine. today i am getting a problem is that the mails from hotmail and yahoo are coming to my exchange but the mails from my exchange are not going outside ,the error i am getting is given below. "Your message with Subject: hi test mail could not be delivered to the fo...

Mac Blog
All latest Mac apps and games from RS HF FS... http://macosxstation.blogspot.com/ http://hotfile.com/dl/65310436/f808552/AS.V2011.SP3.MacOSX.part1.rar.html http://hotfile.com/dl/65310599/31a04ad/AS.V2011.SP3.MacOSX.part2.rar.html http://hotfile.com/dl/65310511/e201cb2/AS.V2011.SP3.MacOSX.part3.rar.html http://hotfile.com/dl/65310589/709eee1/AS.V2011.SP3.MacOSX.part4.rar.html http://hotfile.com/dl/65310381/01adb41/AS.V2011.SP3.MacOSX.part5.rar.html http://hotfile.com/dl/65309807/5c67b78/Presto.v1.2.1.MacOSX.Incl.Keymaker-CORE.rar.html http://hotfile.com/dl/64578419/a082548/FlexTeam_2.2.4.zi...

Importing old MS Mail folders
I need to import the shared folders and global address book from an old MS Mail postoffice. I have seen some discussions concerning migrating mailboxes but very little at that. Can anyone point me in the right direction? THanx! ...

Counts for Mail Folders #2
I'd like to have the total number of messages in all the folders and subfolders of my mailbox to appear on the status bar. I don't think that's possible "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21235507-8D1A-49F6-8ACA-AEFF12922B79@microsoft.com... > I'd like to have the total number of messages in all the folders and > subfolders of my mailbox to appear on the status bar. ...

repititive e-mails
Outlook 2002 in Office XP When sending, the mail does not leave the outbox and sends over and over again, never making it to the sent items folder. The recipients are getting it multiple times. How to fix? ...

Mail receiveing but not sending
Since setting up my mail to use SMTP instead of pop3 I can recieve mail fine but when I send mail it goes but doesn't turn up at the other end! I used the ICW in sbs 2003 to configure it. I've checked the queues on the exchange server but there all empty. My exchange Small Business SMTP connector Properties are set to forward all mail through a smart host. currently smtp.ozemail.com.au!! Not sure why this is happening! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Any help from SBS newsgroup? John wrote: > Since setting up my mail to use SMTP instead of pop3 I can > recie...

Unable to send e-mails, but can receive e-mail.
I have re-installed Windows Outlook 2000 but now I can not receive e-mails. My network configuration is correct. My IP address and server are correctly labeled, but I still can not receive e-mail. Everyone on the server are not having any problems. What should I do? Hi - which is it you're having a problem with? Your subject line & message content are contradictory... Are you connecting to an Exchange server? What kind of mail account are you having problems with? What errors do you get? GJimenez wrote: > I have re-installed Windows Outlook 2000 but now I can not > receive...

Replicate mail boxes?
is it possable to replicate mail boxes? I would like to do this while we migrate fully over to our new server? What are you trying to accomplish? replicate Stores? At byte and block levels using 3rd party products like NSI, or from storage vendors like NetApp (SnapMirror) and EMC. Exchange 12 is reported to have log shipping. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Josh" <Jsawyer@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:e$ZlNv66FHA.4076@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > is it possable to replicate mail...

Incoming mail server changes to "localhost" after windows is restarting
hi... this is the problem i am facing...can anyone help me "Incoming mail server changes to "localhost" after windows is restarting" pls reply in vijai@fourdtech.co.in" Thanks & Regards Vijay The most likely reason is that you have an antivirus solution installed that can scan e-mail as it is downloaded. You would need to disable the scanning of e-mail to get what you describe to stop. "vijai@fourdtech.co.in" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:146d01c4a20a$b5ca8e60$a301280a@phx.gbl... > hi... > > this is ...

delete blocked senders messages on receipt why junk mail them?
Why is it that after going to all the trouble of putting people onto a blocked senders list the filter still puts their messages into the junk mail folder for you to delete them? Or am I understanding the training wrong? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane....

Mailing in a test enviornment
I have a CRM ans SQL server configure on a single machine and the Domain controleer along with exchange Server on a seperate machine. Till some time back Mails could be sent via CRM and they could be seen in the history tab. Suddenly when i try to send mails vai CRM, it gives me the following error: Unexpected Error for more information contact your system administrator. I have checked all the necessary services required for the excahnge enviornment. The exchange router has been reinstalled as well. Still cannot figure out why I am getting this error. Thank for your help in advance Jus...

change mail format for contacts
For the iphone, attachments come over as winmail.dat and the solution is to change the mail format in options, mail format to HTML. Also the individual contacts needs to be changed by double clicking the email address and changing the internet format to Send Plain Text only. After these changes are made, the attachments come over fine. I have had problems with this issue with some contact before. I would love to be able to make this change globally instead of having to edit all contacts. Can this be done. It can be done with some VBA code, which you'll find here: ht...

cannot receive mail, delete mail, or send mail. get an error message.
Now I know why I switch between Outlook Express and Outlook: Both cease to function at one point in time. In Outlook 2000, I cannot receive mail; I cannot delete mail; I cannot use the calendar function. Here are the messages: When I click receive mail, I get: C:Windows\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst could not be accessed.access denied. and: (Account:'incoming.verizon.net',PPO3server:'incoming.verizo n.net',error number:0x800040116). I cannot delete. I get the following message:C:Windows\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook ..pst could not be accessed...

Incoming E-Mail
Good morning: If I send an e-mail from CRM, and the client responds, the e-mail ends up in my Outlook--not in CRM. Nor does a copy of the e-mail response end up in CRM. I have to tell the program "Track in CRM" even though it was sent from there originally. Is this by design or have I missed a mail routing rule/configuration setting? Thanks Hi Dave, If you look in closed activities, do you see the replied email? I seems to me that the exchange router simply creates a forwarding rule for the iser (the one sending and receiving email) that forwards incoming email with the...

Not able to send or receive with windows mail.
I have set up windows mail but are not able to send or recveive mail i have this error msg come up was wondering if someone might have some ideas on how i fix this prob. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Windows Mail', Server: 'yahoo.com.au', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F Thanks "Travnikk" <Travnikk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D31924D-1B29-49C6-AB8...