Mac Word 2008 - inserting "Page x of y" in footer

I've used Word since version one for DOS and was an alpha tester for the
first Word for Windows, so I'm not a total dunce. But for the life of me, I
cannot figure how to place in the footer "Page X of Y (total pages)".  For at
least the last 10 years, plus in Mac Word 2004, I could open the footer and
insert this feature easily.  I've looked everywhere I can think of for
information on how to do this in Mac Word 2008 to no blessed avail!!  Why
trying to do something that was so easy in previous versions of Word can
possibly be viewed as an "enhancement" is a mystery to me.  This is not the
only example of Microsoft's excruciatingly frustrating "enhancements".  If
anyone can help with this particular frustration I would be eternally
grateful.

Thanks,
Maximzodal

Among other options: Insert> AutoText> Page X of Y. That's actually the
defacto standard method :-) but you're probably accustomed to using the
Header/Footer Toolbar which no longer is used in Office 2007/2008. Those
button controls are still available from the Formatting Palette but the H/F
tools are contextual � they do not appear unless you're actively in the
Header or Footer layer.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 11/25/09 6:39 PM, in article
EFFF7561-B7B8-46A9-8035-97CDDF518012@microsoft.com, "Maximzodal"
<Maximzodal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I've used Word since version one for DOS and was an alpha tester for the
> first Word for Windows, so I'm not a total dunce. But for the life of me, I
> cannot figure how to place in the footer "Page X of Y (total pages)".  For at
> least the last 10 years, plus in Mac Word 2004, I could open the footer and
> insert this feature easily.  I've looked everywhere I can think of for
> information on how to do this in Mac Word 2008 to no blessed avail!!  Why
> trying to do something that was so easy in previous versions of Word can
> possibly be viewed as an "enhancement" is a mystery to me.  This is not the
> only example of Microsoft's excruciatingly frustrating "enhancements".  If
> anyone can help with this particular frustration I would be eternally
> grateful.
>
> Thanks,
> Maximzodal

0
CyberTaz
11/26/2009 12:03:47 AM
On Nov 25, 6:03=C2=A0pm, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
> Among other options:Insert> AutoText>PageXofY. That's actually the
> defacto standard method :-) but you're probably accustomed to using the
> Header/FooterToolbar which no longer is used in Office 2007/2008. Those
> button controls are still available from the Formatting Palette but the H=
/F
> tools are contextual =E2=80=B9 they do not appear unless you're actively =
in the
> Header orFooterlayer.
>
> HTH |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac

Thanks, Bob.  I have to confess, looking in Auto Text would not have
been obvious to me at all!
I'm tempted to vent on all the "enhancements" in Word 2008 but it
would be too aggravating.

Now to search out why I can't add a word to the custom dictionary!

Regards,
Max
0
Maximzodal
11/29/2009 9:47:14 PM

On 11/29/09 4:47 PM, in article
cfcbea8b-038b-42e7-b96c-f2cf67f98585@u8g2000prd.googlegroups.com,
"Maximzodal" <maximzodal@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 25, 6:03 pm, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
>> Among other options:Insert> AutoText>PageXofY. That's actually the
>> defacto standard method :-) but you're probably accustomed to using the
>> Header/FooterToolbar which no longer is used in Office 2007/2008. Those
>> button controls are still available from the Formatting Palette but the H/F
>> tools are contextual ‹ they do not appear unless you're actively in the
>> Header orFooterlayer.
>>
>> HTH |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>
> Thanks, Bob.  I have to confess, looking in Auto Text would not have
> been obvious to me at all!
> I'm tempted to vent on all the "enhancements" in Word 2008 but it
> would be too aggravating.
>
> Now to search out why I can't add a word to the custom dictionary!
>
> Regards,
> Max

Have you activated the Custom Dictionary?

Word> Preferences> Spelling & Grammar, click the Dictionaries button & tick
the Custom Dictionary checkbox. Confirm that Language is set to (none) then
OK out of both dialogs.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

0
CyberTaz

Has the "Page X of Y" bug been fixed in Word 2007?
I used to have a problem with the Page X of Y bug in 2003, but I haven't noticed it yet in the couple of months I've been using Word 2007. Did they actually fix something in 2007? Jerry ...

In Pub 2003, how can I set Page x of y in the footer?
I need to have Page x of y in the footer of documents that I am working on. Anyone have a solution? When you number the pages, add manually the word page and the y amount. It would look similar to this: Page # of 20 pages This function in on the Master Page. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Gem" <Gem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0A72464-7B44-485B-ACB3-300FF6EB4F63@microsoft.com... >I need to have Page x of y in the footer of documents that I am working on. > > Anyone have...

page x of y
This was easy before I upgraded to Word 2007! Now I cannot find this option. The demo says it is in the number design group but it is not there! How do I get this option? I need this help very quickly and will appreciate any one who can clue me in to what must be easy, but ... I can't find it. Thanks. -- nhb -- nc In the page number gallery, there should be an entry called Bold Numbers (Header and Footer Tools Design tab | Page Number | Current Position, Page X of Y category). However, if you can't find it, you can insert the NUMPAGES field (the "Y" p...

If have preformatted footer, how change page format to page x of y
In Word 2007, I'm using a preformatted footer with a page format of Page x. I want to change the page number format to Page X of Y. How can I do this? Hi d0318, Open the footer and, after the Page x, type ' of ', then press Ctrl-F9 to create an empty field (ie '{}') and type 'NUMPAGES' between the field braces, so that you get '{NUMPAGES}', then select the field and press F9 to update it. When you're done, close the footer to return to the body of the document. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "d0318" <d0318...

Page x of y in WorkBook
Using Excel 2007 on Windows XP. We have 3 worksheets with 10 pages each. We want the total pages in the workbook. For example, Page 1 of 30, Page 2 of 30, etc. I tried grouping the 3 worksheets but that didn't give me the result I want. Can this even be done? Most stuff can, if you just know how. Thanks for any ideas. That's how I would do it. Select all three sheets and set up your footer as page 1 of ?. Print as one print job using ActiveSheet(s) Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:28:02 -0500, "Trainer" <asaul@leydig.com> wrote: >Us...

Is the Page X of Y Bug Been Fixed in 2007?
I used to have a problem with the Page X of Y bug in 2003, but I haven't noticed it yet in the couple of months I've been using Word 2007. Did they actually fix something in 2007? Jerry This is difficult to tell. Whether Page X of Y works properly or not seems to depend on the combination of Word updates and the printer driver installed. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Jerry" wrote: > I used to have a problem with the Page X of Y bug in 2003, but I haven't > noticed it yet in the couple of months I've been using Word 2007. Did t...

how to autonumber excel worksheets as 'Page X of Y'
Iam using Microsoft Excel 2000 version and in it Iam unable to insert Autonumbering of pages in 'Page X of Y' format as we do in Microsoft Word Header insert Autotext File> Page Setup> Header/Footer "srinivas" wrote: > Iam using Microsoft Excel 2000 version and in it Iam unable to insert > Autonumbering of pages in 'Page X of Y' format as we do in Microsoft Word > Header insert Autotext But be aware that Excel will number the pages according to how many are in the current print selection. In other words, if you have 8 sheets you want numbered...

I want to use Page x of y without y including cover and TOC
I want to number the body of a report using Page x of y, but I can't figure out how to exclude front material such as cover and toc from the total number of pages y. On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:35:01 -0800, Misdeerose <Misdeerose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to number the body of a report using Page x of y, but I can't figure >out how to exclude front material such as cover and toc from the total number >of pages y. The first step is to separate the front matter from the rest of the document with a section break, as described in these articles: ...