Lock styles in Word 2008?

Hi,
I'm on a Mac Pro Dual-Core Intel Xeon running OSX 10.5.8. I'm trying
to lock the styles in a template I've created in Word 2008. The object
is to keep the end users from altering the styles at all, which they
will do if they can.

I've been shown how to do this on a PC (start with "Manage Styles" in
the Style palette, an option I'm not seeing in my Styles palette). I
can't seem to find or figure out the alternative on my Mac.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.
0
monimc

There is no provision for doing so in the Mac versions of Word.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/9/09 12:42 PM, in article
9efe9d23-cba4-44bd-b70a-776ca68a5f9f@u16g2000pru.googlegroups.com, "monimc"
<topazlilycat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm on a Mac Pro Dual-Core Intel Xeon running OSX 10.5.8. I'm trying
> to lock the styles in a template I've created in Word 2008. The object
> is to keep the end users from altering the styles at all, which they
> will do if they can.
>
> I've been shown how to do this on a PC (start with "Manage Styles" in
> the Style palette, an option I'm not seeing in my Styles palette). I
> can't seem to find or figure out the alternative on my Mac.
>
> Any help you can give would be appreciated.

0
CyberTaz
12/9/2009 6:30:12 PM
On Dec 9, 10:30=A0am, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
> There is no provision for doing so in the Mac versions of Word.
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>
> On 12/9/09 12:42 PM, in article
That's what I suspected. Thanks for the confirmation.

Monica

> 9efe9d23-cba4-44bd-b70a-776ca68a5...@u16g2000pru.googlegroups.com, "monim=
c"

> <topazlily...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm on a Mac Pro Dual-Core Intel Xeon running OSX 10.5.8. I'm trying
> > to lock the styles in a template I've created in Word 2008. The object
> > is to keep the end users from altering the styles at all, which they
> > will do if they can.
>
> > I've been shown how to do this on a PC (start with "Manage Styles" in
> > the Style palette, an option I'm not seeing in my Styles palette). I
> > can't seem to find or figure out the alternative on my Mac.
>
> > Any help you can give would be appreciated.

0
monimc

locking up
This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask: Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program, after alt+tabbing to another application? If so, why? This seems to be happening to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem. What I have is either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a timer and bitblt. Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another app, I cannot return and must "end task". "Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message news:%23YFL5Ks%23F...

Word 2007
Hi everyone: I know my way around Word pretty well, but I am REALLY stuck on this one .. UGH .. lol I have a document, where I have "Chapter - Heading 1" set for each of the main headers so that these not only show in the Table of Contents, but also so that the page numbers have the chapter number included. (e.g., Chapter 1 - page 1-1) Problem is .... the chapter numbering, does not go sequentially with what I am trying to do .. (e.g., I must skip numbers here and there) 25 26 27 28 30 35 etc. I have figured out that by having the "Style" app...

sql server data to ms word using xml
hi i was given a task to display sql server data in ms word using xml. Im currently doing research to accomplish the task. What i have in mind is to create an xml template (or schema?) to load the sql server data first.Then add the xml template in the ms word add-in option. Is it possible? Can anyone point me to the right direction? Thanks My approach to this for the last few years (since Office XP) has been to save a Word document formatted they way it should end up - as XML. And then rename it to a XSL and put in iterators to populate the data from the XML queried out of SQL Serve...

Desktop Alert Locks Computer
Greetings, I am seeing a little quirk on some of my desktops. It only happens occasionally, but it happens to different models of PC. Not all the time, but once in awhile, I have users that complain of their PC freezing. The only remedy is to do a hard reboot. I have noticed in these instances, that the desktop mail alert ( the preview that pops up by the system clock when you get a new mail) is showing when it froze. If I go into Outlook and turn off the desktop alert, then the PC freezing stops. So, I know that the Desktop Alert is the cause of the problem. Has anyone else ever seen this? Th...

Lock formula to cell
I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a column the formula will always remain with say column H I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this happening but that is no use when I have to unprotect the sheet to delete a column. Anyone got thoughts on this? regards Pat Hi Pat without using VBA you can't achieve this Frank Pat wrote: > I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a > column the formula will always remain with say column H > > I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this >...

Put Entourage on send menu (word).
Hi group, Today i was trying to send a mail through Microsoft Word 2004, and on "send to" menu were just 2 options: Microsoft Power Point and Mail. I�ve selected "mail" and it opened the default mail program of the system, not the Entourage. How Can i set to open the Entourage?? Thanks, Rodolfo Fontes Go into apple's Mail program, and in Mail>Preferences, set the default email app to Entourage. It will still say Mail as HTML or Mail as Attachment in the menu, but it will call Entourage (as will mail-to links on the web). On 6/3/05 5:42 AM, "R...

Locked out of database
Not sure what happened but get a message saying "database has been converted from a prior version of Access by using DAO compactdatabase and is now in a partially converted state." It says I should be able to import tables into a new data base but when I try this it just gives the same message about converting and the data base just doesn't open. Please help because lots at stake, have to do a report based on these tables so am waiting with anticipation!!!x Hi Pete, Usually this means you are opening an earlier version of Access in a new version. Make a copy of the data...

clip art and word art not showing
i've been trying to update my mthly newsletter and all of sudden i an upable to see any clip art or word art i've placed in the docs (it will show on printed doc's only) very diffcult if not impossible to work on a doc without seeing all items and their placement on a page. i went to other pub docs and found all pub docs saved are doing the same. have uninstalled and reinstalled have done ck on fixes nothing seems to work. has anyone had or have this problem other then me and if you did have and fixed how thanks for a quick response. i have to have this doc out by the 15...

locked excel File ??
Hi . I am working with my colleges with one Excel file in a shared file system. Sometime - when I open the file, there is the message "locked from College" - but he is definetly out of office and shut down his PC. We are using Excel 2003 + Excel 2007. What can I do?? THnks for help Susan ...

Word Form / Fields or VBA / calculate on print
I have a Word 2003 form in which USERS enter "earned income" amounts in fields and when they click outside the field, the total calculates using a formula in a different table cell. The formula will show the sum total amount of all "earned income" entered in the above table cells/input fields when the field "calculates on exit" properly. My problem is that Users are entering their final "earned income" amount, and then (WITHOUT clicking outside the cell/field), the USER hits PRINT, which does not let the field "calculate on exit"...

Outllook2007 to open my Outlook2002 Win7 says files locked.
I'm following 2002 to 2007 instructions step by step. When I point Outlook to my ..pst file, I get access restriction messages. How do I make sure these files can be accessed by Outlook 2007? Thanks. Which exact steps are these? From your Outlook 2002 machine, copy the pst-file to your Outlook 2007 machine and place it in a convenient location such as My Documents\Outlook\ In Outlook 2007 you can then reconnect to the pst-file via; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... For details see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Robert Sparnaai...

Word 2007 Scrolls when Minimized
In Windows 7, when I minimize an open Word 2007 document to the Task Bar (by clicking on the "dash" in the upper right hand corner), and when I then click on the Task Bar to re-display the Word application, my viewing position within the Word document has shifted. (The scroll bar stays in the same spot, but it has usually scrolled out of the visible window.) This happens pratically every time. (Documents having 40 to 60 pages.) Any suggestions on how to fix this? A laptop computer with a Touchpad? Does it still happen is you minimise using Winkey+M? -- Terry Fa...

Three words to describe Money 2005...
Wasted screen space. Holy cow! This a TERRIBLE use of screen real estate. In register view, nearly 25% of the scren is filled up with the toolbars and *WHITE* space with no meaningful information! Whoever designed this interface, pretty though it is, lost sight of what's important: information. I'm terribly disappointed. I've never felt like Money had too much fluff... until now :( ...

How do I get custom margins & style always by default?
I have no use for any of the established Word Styles. I always use the same & just want my own selected style and my own custom margins to be set in place when I begin each letter. Bob You can't delete the built-in styles, but you should set up a template with the appropriate formatting for your letter. For the basics of template creation, see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/CreateATemplatePart1.htm. Since you are referring to letter templates, maybe you'll find this article helpful too: http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm. -- Stefan Bl...

Office 2008 & Video Problem
Yesterday I installed Office 2008 Home & Student Edition on my Mac Mini which has the 10.4.11 OS. After the installation everything worked fine. Today I was using Word and after a short time the screen went fuzzy. This is occuring not only in Word. Could this be a problem with fonts or a video problem. Any suggestions on how I might fix this would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve I need a better description before I can even hazard a guess as to what that is. It's OK here in OS 10.4.11, so I need to know exactly what you are doing and what you are seeing... Cheers On 26/02/08...

Microsoft Word 2007
I was using ALT+X in windows OFFICE 2003 to save my frequently required addresses and was easily able to edit, delete and add in the AUTO TEXT which is now known as BUILDING BLOCKS. I just cannot edit or delete the addresses. Also I had posted my normal dot s in c:\documents and settings\(username)\application data\microsoft\templates ( but I cannot find the same in VISTA). It is very confusing. Please Help ...

Lock autoshape to fixed position
Hello, Does anybody know if it is possible to keep an autoshape to a fixed position. I have a worksheet that has two panes, one is frozen i.e. a fixed header and scrollable rows. On the bottom of the page I want to put a button bar made of shape buttons. The problem is that when I scroll, the buttons scroll too! It would be nices if I can keep them in position. I know that is is possible to add a second window, but that does not look so well... Any ideas? Multiple fixed panes would be a great option! Change the alignment option to be absolute. Picture properties > Layout tab > Advan...

Word 2007 Crashing
My Word 2007 keeps crashing. I cannot use most functions - for example I can use a few very basic functions such as 'save' but not 'save as'. Word stops responding when using most functions and I need to close it and restart it - basically rendering Word useless. I have tried: a) running diagnostics (no problem identified) b) re-installing office 2007 (no change) I am finding it incredibly frustrating - has anyone else had similar issues and resolved them? Thanks MB See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProblemsStartingWord.htm -- Terry Farrell -...

Word 2007 embedded Chart data Fill or Autofill
Is it possible, using Word 2007, to perform a Fill or an Autofill operation on an embedded (unlinked) chart? The chart was created earlier within Word. Initially, I was thinking about the newer style, where two adjacent cells are populated, selected, then the Fill handle is dragged to the last cell of the Fill. I created a macro in excel, of which I pasted a portion to my word chart. After modifying the Range (as I understand is different in Word), I found it did not work. Below is what I have in my code. After looking through the Word Object Browser and using Help, I don't...

Adjust an Excel table with the width of a Word page
Hol=E0 has todos los Excel users!! Here is my small problem (way of speaking, because for me it is an enormous problem, but for you, it is undoubtedly nothing.): Under Excel, I have a macro that creates several tables on several sheets (1 table per sheet). This macro selects and copies each table into a page in Word. The problem is that the number of columns is variable : at the time of copying, the table doesn't not fit the width of the Word page. That's why I'm seeking a way to do the following things : 1) calculate the number of columns of the xls table 2) find the width of ...

Money "lock-out" solution-thanks Kurt
Kurt Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running again! Thank -you What happens to all your data when you do that? Do you still have your data? I tried reinstalling, but no luck. I hate to uninstall, since I would lose all the data, right? Would appreciate info. Thanks, Alice >-----Original Message----- >Kurt > >Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 >and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running >again! Thank -you >. > Your data is in a file *.mny. This is ind...

Compatability of Powerpoint 2008 with 2004
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I "upgraded" to Office 2008 and am having problems viewing Powerpoint slides that I created with 2004 version previously even though they are saved as 2004. Some images are blank or blacked out. In one case, when I replaced the images and then sent the presentation to a colleague who uses MAc with Office 2004 it was fine on his computer but when he sent back to me, again images were blank or black. I need to exchange files frequently with people using the older version so it will not be adequate to just fix thi...

cross references, different languages, Word 2007, how to look the language!
Hi, I have a document that has been started in English. I can see that in the cross reference, Figure, Table are in English. No when I want to add a new figure I get the name Figur, which is Swedish, or Tabell which also is Swedish and of course I can not see my previous created tables and figures. I want to use English. How can I do that? The language is set to English, but new figures, tables will be created in Swedish. (The god thing is that the table of figures and table of tables is still working correct, in English) Thanks for all help Best regards Georg First of...

Form locking up
I've completed my own Linked Table Manager wizard, so that the connections I create to SQL Server and Oracle database on my network don't require a DSN (DSN-less connections). This wizard exists in its own mda file, which I have added as a reference in several of my databases. In my test database, this wizard runs great. I've got a command button that calls a function (fnRefreshLinks) that exists in the wizard. It opens a form, refreshes a list of the linked tables, tests the link, and provides me with some options. When I run this same function from another database, it...