Defect in word 2007 to Word 2003 converter

I have recently run into an issue with the .docx to .doc converter in word
2003.
I was curious if anyone else has run into this issue - I have not found any
posts adressing this.

The problem is as follows:

Word 2007 document With an OLE embeded .doc > 25 MB  Saves and opens fine in
word 2007.
When the .docx file is opened in Word2003, the embeded ole object icon is
present, but when the user clicks on the icon to open it, only the "Format
Picture" dialog box appears.  If the user using word2003 saves the document
at this point, the data in the embeded document is lost and cannot be opened
in word 2007.  This only happens with large .doc OLE embeded attachments.
Any ideas on a workaround for this?  It is causing me many headaches as our
organization slowly migrates from 2003 to 2007.

Thanks!

Mike J.

Well, you've posted your inquiry in the Mac Word group so there really isn't
much to be offered on this kind of issue. You'll find the Win Office groups
here:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx

--
HTH |:>)
Bob Jones

"Pixl8tr" <Pixl8tr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently run into an issue with the .docx to .doc converter in word
> 2003.
> I was curious if anyone else has run into this issue - I have not found
> any
> posts adressing this.
>
> The problem is as follows:
>
> Word 2007 document With an OLE embeded .doc > 25 MB  Saves and opens fine
> in
> word 2007.
> When the .docx file is opened in Word2003, the embeded ole object icon is
> present, but when the user clicks on the icon to open it, only the "Format
> Picture" dialog box appears.  If the user using word2003 saves the
> document
> at this point, the data in the embeded document is lost and cannot be
> opened
> in word 2007.  This only happens with large .doc OLE embeded attachments.
> Any ideas on a workaround for this?  It is causing me many headaches as
> our
> organization slowly migrates from 2003 to 2007.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike J.

0
CyberTaz
1/8/2010 10:13:54 PM
Not necessarily a defect.

Various objects created in Word 2007 will be down-converted to a format that
Word 2003 can render: you will in that case lose the OLE objects.

On 9/01/10 9:00 AM, in article
D17D73C3-C1E0-46F6-8BF9-BFBA389BEF26@microsoft.com, "Pixl8tr"
<Pixl8tr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have recently run into an issue with the .docx to .doc converter in word
> 2003.
> I was curious if anyone else has run into this issue - I have not found any
> posts adressing this.
>
> The problem is as follows:
>
> Word 2007 document With an OLE embeded .doc > 25 MB  Saves and opens fine in
> word 2007.
> When the .docx file is opened in Word2003, the embeded ole object icon is
> present, but when the user clicks on the icon to open it, only the "Format
> Picture" dialog box appears.  If the user using word2003 saves the document
> at this point, the data in the embeded document is lost and cannot be opened
> in word 2007.  This only happens with large .doc OLE embeded attachments.
> Any ideas on a workaround for this?  It is causing me many headaches as our
> organization slowly migrates from 2003 to 2007.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike J.

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
1/9/2010 9:09:08 AM
Hi,
Thanks. I reposted in the word.application.errors group
Cheers,
Mike

"CyberTaz" wrote:

> Well, you've posted your inquiry in the Mac Word group so there really isn't
> much to be offered on this kind of issue. You'll find the Win Office groups
> here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx
>
> --
> HTH |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>
> "Pixl8tr" <Pixl8tr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have recently run into an issue with the .docx to .doc converter in word
> > 2003.
> > I was curious if anyone else has run into this issue - I have not found
> > any
> > posts adressing this.
> >
> > The problem is as follows:
> >
> > Word 2007 document With an OLE embeded .doc > 25 MB  Saves and opens fine
> > in
> > word 2007.
> > When the .docx file is opened in Word2003, the embeded ole object icon is
> > present, but when the user clicks on the icon to open it, only the "Format
> > Picture" dialog box appears.  If the user using word2003 saves the
> > document
> > at this point, the data in the embeded document is lost and cannot be
> > opened
> > in word 2007.  This only happens with large .doc OLE embeded attachments.
> > Any ideas on a workaround for this?  It is causing me many headaches as
> > our
> > organization slowly migrates from 2003 to 2007.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Mike J.
> >

> .

Install FrontPage 2003 on Windows 7
i tried several times to install, the program told me it has been installed, but it is not. What can I do. On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 10:48:01 -0700, monising <monising@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i tried several times to install, the program told me it has been installed, >but it is not. What can I do. Please be more explicit about what you're doing, what you're seeing, and what error messages - if any - you are getting. I have FrontPage 2003 installed on Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and it's working fine. Also, are you installing from original media? A...

forwarding in Exchange 2003 #2

Money 2007 E-Pay
Noticed this morning when I was paying my bills this anomaly. Perhaps I am missing something. Scenario: Paying a credit card bill. In Money 2004 (my previous version of Money) I would use Credit Card as the category and in the subcategory use the particular credit card account I was paying. Worked great. Money 2007, there is a new category named Credit Cards/Transfer. When selecting this there are no payee categories listed. However further down the list is another category named Credit Card. Using Credit Card shows the various payees. Not sure what the difference is between Credit C...

Outlook 2003 forgets contacts after 1 day
Outlook 2003 is remembering contacts for a day and then automatically deleting them. I have spent the last hour searching and can't find the right setting to stop this from happening. Has anyone got any advice? Outlook does not automatically save Contacts ever. To what feature are you referring? Autocompletion? -- Russ Valentine "slycbod" <slycbod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36DBB238-7462-452F-85EB-15258BCD8B05@microsoft.com... > Outlook 2003 is remembering contacts for a day and then automatically > deleting them. I have spent th...

Outlook 2003 Cant get to newsgroups
I dragged the NEWS icon from tools/customize/commands/go to the GO button on the tool bar. It worked fine then I got on a newsgroup and a posting that read "payback" multiple times. I didnot open the attachment. Next time I tryied to go to NEWS it was not there. How can I get newsgroup access back? Tryied reinstalling Outlook2003 and Office 2003 with no luck. Expect the answer to be in registry. Help please. I got the similar problem and got the fix. Here is what you need to do: - add the NEWS button under Go menu - accept Outlook Express is your default NEWS client - c...

Importing Outlook data into Access 2003
I recently reinstalled Office 2003 and have encountered the following problem: I want to import my contacts in Outlook into an Access 2003 database. When I go to File/Get External data, there is no option to import from Outlook. In fact, the only choices I'm given are Microsoft Access, Windows Sharepoint Services, XML and ODBC databases. How can I enable the options I've had in past installations of Access? Thanks in advance, Pic Select Full install instead of typical Pieter "Pic" <compuBUTNOTTHIStoot@att.net> wrote in message news:uqqbh3t26icr6bo0httq2b6640b78pq56...

Convert single colum/multiple rows to multiple colums.
Hi, I have a .dat file when opened with Excel it has 1 column and 7 rows per entry. I would like to delete some rows and convert the rest to something like. Any chance this can be done. It's quite large. 51,793 rows. TIA Jeff Col 1 Col 2 Col 3 Name Date Lenny Kravitz - 2000 - Greatest Hits -- Table: {2} { "music" "Name", "06/04/2008", "Lenny Kravitz - 2000 - Greatest Hits", }, --Table: {3} etc. etc. ...

2007 calendar
How can I create a 1 page 2007 calendar in publisher? File, new, publications for print, calendars, select one, select yearly... click Change date range. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Angel" <Angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7253E645-B0BA-4B90-BF7E-7083802EA379@microsoft.com... > How can I create a 1 page 2007 calendar in publisher? ...

Outlook 2003: Print address book
I'm running Outlook 2003 as a stand alone program without a network. I can't print the address book. The address book menu does not offer any print options including those found in the Help and Support and the MS Knowledge Base. It also doesn't offer the option to export/import. What am I missing here? Operating Windows XP Home SP2, IE 6 SP2, Outlook 2003. Thanks for any suggestion -- Phil pdischert@iname.com There is no address book in Outlook. There are lots of choices for ways to print your Contacts Folder: http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/print.htm -- Russ V...

Word problem
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Word will not let me insert a bibliography into my word document. When i go onto document elements - it is not allowing me to click as it is shadowed - ???? Since you don't specify otherwise, start with the basics: 1- Make sure Office is fully updated to 12.2.4 2- Make sure OS X is fully updated to 10.6.3 3- Repair Disk Permissions 4- Restart your Mac Confirming all of that it will make it possible to determine how to approach the problem. Until that's all done it's pointless to chase symptoms. Regar...

VISIO 2007 -Text direction
can some one tell me how to change text to be type in vertically. Under tools, options there is no regional tab or under format text the change text direction command does not work. "kgbrat" <kgbrat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DBF18B5-E1C8-4493-8BEF-F7D4C1538781@microsoft.com... > can some one tell me how to change text to be type in vertically. Under > tools, options there is no regional tab or under format text the change > text > direction command does not work. You can use the Text Tool (The A with an circular arrow around it) and gr...

Issue installing FRx 6.7 on Windows 2003
I am encountering an unhandled exception error when attempting the installation. The installation prompts for the language, I select English, then Next. The progress bar makes it all the way to the right of the next screen, then I get the above error. This is a brand new quad CPU Dell OS is base WIndows Server 2003 Enterprise, not SP1 Only installed software is: IIS 6.0 (FTP, WWW, MSMQ) CA ArcServe (backup software) SQL 2000 Enterprise, Analysis Services, both at SP3a WinZip Acrobat 6.0 Reader Hello, Can you give us the exact error message you're receiving (all words and numbers fro...

Conversion from Outlook 2000 to 2003
Currently using Outlook 2000. I am planning on getting a new computer and it will have Outlook 2003 contained on it. How do I save my "data" files (active as well as archive) so I can resume using them with my new computer? Thanks in advance for any help. -- Have a great day, except you spammers To email, remove the obvious ....... On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:10:00 -1000, Les <lester123_nospam@att.net> wrote: > Currently using Outlook 2000. I am planning on getting a new computer > and > it will have Outlook 2003 contained on it. How do I save my "data&qu...

2007 License
I received a free Office SBA 2007 via an MS Partner Program as a download together with key There is no FPP, OEM or MLK designation. (The EULA in Word being dependant on the above) How can I determine if this is licensed to install on a second device, other than trying? - The PID? Contact the MS Partner Program? "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message news:uVA$w8lpKHA.4648@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... :I received a free Office SBA 2007 via an MS Partner Program as a download : together with key : There is no FPP, OEM or MLK designation. : (The EULA...

Exchange 2003 with SP2 problems...

Outlook 2003 not displaying multipart/mixed messages properly
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C49BFC.AB34E1D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I know that Outlook is known for having problems displaying = multipart/mixed messages but this is just weird. I am using Outlook 2003 with a POP email account and occasionally with = an email that has been exchanged a few times already and I will send out = a reply and when the person replies back to me what they wrote no longer = appears in the email. I basically get back a copy of the email I sent =...

save as version 2003 problem
I'm working in vba in Access to create and save an Excel file. All's good except that one of the workstations this is runnign on is using Office 2007. I'm developing in 2003 and all the other workstatiosn they have are using 2003. It's very important that the files be saved in 2003 format. When I do this, it runs fine and saves as 97/95 objExcelBk.SaveAs sTempPath & sExcelFileName, xlExcel9795 ','56 = xl 2000/2003 I read online in a forum post that "56" is the correct code for saving as 2003 but that's when the code is written in 20...

Using Risk+ with MSP 2007
We use Risk+ as a risk simulation tool. We have discovered that it works approximately 20 times SLOWER in MSP 2007 than MSP 2003. Has anyone else run into this problem. If so, is there a remedy? My hunch this not a generic issue, but surely best that you consult with the Risk+ people on this. --rms www.rmschneider.com On 02/03/10 18:08, Tom Mc wrote: > We use Risk+ as a risk simulation tool. We have discovered that it works > approximately 20 times SLOWER in MSP 2007 than MSP 2003. Has anyone else run > into this problem. If so, is there a remedy? W...

Office 2007 11-23-09
Of all the choices out there (community discussion, dashboard, live, etc.) how can I contact someone with input on Microsoft's software. For example, I want to know why any one would not display the most common commands on the HOME tab in Office 2007. Print, Save, Open, Close, Spell Check, Undo, etc. etc. etc. Yes, I know you can customize your own Toolbar, but not a beginner. How can I emphasize how important this is, I don't suppose you can customize the Tabs. I would like to ask someone why they can't get input from those of us who teach their products. ...